The Jets want you to know Plaxico Burress draws double teams

Indashio - Backstage - Spring 2012 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Getty Images

Plaxico Burress didn’t catch a pass in his second game with the Jets, but do not be alarmed. Jets coach Rex Ryan wants you to know that Burress drew double teams most downs.

“I was more frustrated about it than anybody, because I wanted to see him catch some passes,” Ryan said. “I think we all do. But sometimes the coverage dictates it a little bit.”

Burress estimated he was double covered on every snap but two.  Still, Burress was on the sidelines more than you’d expect in the game.

“It’s definitely a little frustrating, I’m not going to sit here and say that it’s not,” Burress said. “But I’m just going to do what they ask me to do. . . . If teams want to show me that much respect, that’s why I’m here.”

Mark Sanchez felt so bad about only throwing two passes towards Burress that he apologized during the game.  New York hasn’t consistently integrated Plaxico into the flow; he was catchless before exploding in the fourth quarter of the opener.

We appreciated Burress’ perspective after the game:

“Four months ago, I was so far away from playing football that I have nothing to complain about,” Burress said.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “The Jets want you to know Plaxico Burress draws double teams”
  1. scudbot says: Sep 20, 2011 4:53 PM

“Mark Sanchez felt so bad about only throwing two passes towards Burress that he apologized during the game.” Sanchez sucked. If he had thrown a few more to anyone, at least one would have been picked.

2. seanmmartin says: Sep 20, 2011 4:54 PM

If you aint first, yer last

3. joshborden says: Sep 20, 2011 4:58 PM

It’s nice to see Plaxico’s cell mate is out on parole as well…..they look good together

4. marvsleezy says: Sep 20, 2011 5:01 PM

I remember when I was a little kid and I thought double coverage was really double coverage – Two guys following one guy all over the field, both in tight man coverage.

But its not, probably 99% of the time when they are talking about double coverage, its single man coverage by the corner and a safety in a deep zone looking for a deep ball, or maybe a line backer in a zone looking for a slant pattern.

Double coverage really just means the corner isnt out on an island, like in an all out blitz.

5. cakemixa says: Sep 20, 2011 5:02 PM

You know you have a diva when… your QB has to APOLOGIZE for not throwing passes his way ?

6. redguy12588 says: Sep 20, 2011 5:11 PM

The jets are like a 5 year old that wants you to look at their macaroni picture.

7. jetfanfolife says: Sep 20, 2011 5:11 PM

joshborden says:
    Sep 20, 2011 4:58 PM

————————————

As a Jet fan ** no applause, just throw money **
    I find this to be the best comment of the day, absolutely hysterical.

8. jpb12 says: Sep 20, 2011 5:11 PM

He’s the new Randy Moss

9. joetoronto says: Sep 20, 2011 5:19 PM

The convict doesn’t have to worry about double coverage this Sunday, and neither does pop gun Sanchez.

Let’s go, Raiders!

10. beerbaron says: Sep 20, 2011 5:22 PM

And four months ago, Mark Sanchez was getting ready for the prom.

11. dogsweat1 says: Sep 20, 2011 5:35 PM

Jets 38 Raiders 14.

12. drgfri says: Sep 20, 2011 5:45 PM

Too easy…. Double teams? Is that Rex AND Rob?

13. steelerfan999 says: Sep 20, 2011 5:55 PM

is that why sanchez kept throwing the ball to the jaguars in single coverage????????

14. gafraidh says: Sep 20, 2011 6:36 PM

Not sure what the point of this article is…

“Burress estimated he was double covered on every snap but two. Still, Burress was on the sidelines more than you’d expect in the game.”

They covered the hell out of him when he played, which, obtw, wasn’t so much… Huh??!!

15. mistrezzrachael says: Sep 20, 2011 6:44 PM

According to Rexy’s wifes’ ALT.COM personal…double teaming is another one of Rexys fetishes…so betting he gets a little itchy when talking about Plaxico getting it too.

Every day….jets do/say something…to get themselves in news…need that attention like a 4 year old.

16. j0esixpack says: Sep 20, 2011 6:49 PM

I’ve also noticed that defensive backs covering Plaxico seem to have less mobility

… must be the bullet proof vests they’re wearing

17. getweird4u says: Sep 20, 2011 6:50 PM

marvsleezy says:Sep 20, 2011 5:01 PM

———————————————————-
    Uh thanx for the breakdown dom capers every 10 year old who frequents this site is that much smarter/dumber than they where before washing themselves in the warm glo that is your football knowledge?

18. mrsryansfamoustoejam says: Sep 20, 2011 6:50 PM

My little Rexy just wants all of his players to put their best foot forward!

19. dspyank2k11 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:00 PM

Best post I’ve ever read here:

redguy12588 says: Sep 20, 2011 5:11 PM

Awesome take redguy :)

20. Steelerz7 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:13 PM

Yeah Rex sure he is.

21. favreforever says: Sep 20, 2011 9:03 PM

Plax draws double teams, and there is always a fight between the defensive backs to see which one gets to stand on the other guy’s shoulders.

22. j0esixpack says: Sep 20, 2011 11:35 PM

Just re-read that sentence folks. Tells you all you need to know right there.

23. kevinfromphilly says: Sep 21, 2011 9:49 AM

cakemixa says:
    Sep 20, 2011 5:02 PM

Hey, if I were Sanchez, and my WR was famous for shooting HIMSELF, I’d be worried what he’d do to me if I DIDN’T keep him happy. It’s like that old Twilight Zone episode, where the kid could just wish you away into oblivion – “OK kid, you’re the greatest, everything you do is spectacular…”

24. dukemarc says: Sep 21, 2011 10:20 AM

Is this like when they were telling everyone that Revis doesn’t get any help in coverage?

25. CKL says: Sep 21, 2011 12:45 PM

redguy12588 says: Sep 20, 2011 5:11 PM

________________________________________
    ROFL

You win the internets for at least a week for that one. I am literally in tears.