Warren Moon on Cam Newton: I hate to say I told you so, but…

Cam Newton, Warren Moon AP

Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Moon said several times this offseason that Cam Newton would be an NFL star, and he harshly criticized those who questioned Newton’s character and his arm. Now that Newton has had one of the greatest starts to a career in NFL history, Moon is feeling good about his prediction.

“I feel proud of what he’s doing and I don’t have one of those, ‘I-told-you-so-type attitudes,’ but I do know a little bit about that position and when you’re around somebody who’s special,” Moon told USA Today. “But he’s a special player. It’s no joke why he’s been so successful at every level.”

Newton has thrown for more than 400 yards in both of his first two NFL games, which is nothing short of remarkable. Of course, we should probably wait until he actually wins a game in the NFL before we say he’s ready to join Moon in Canton.

But Moon says he’s already seen enough to know that the Panthers made a wise decision when they made Newton the first pick in the NFL draft.

“I’m not getting anybody calling, saying, ‘I’m sorry I was wrong about him,’” Moon said. “But I am getting a lot of calls from people that are saying, ‘I understand what you were talking about now. And I see it.’”

Moon, who was forced to start his career in the Canadian Football League at a time when African-American quarterbacks were generally shunned by the NFL, continues to believe that there was a racial element to the criticism of Newton prior to the draft.

“Some of the criticism was racial,” Moon said. “I started to feel the same way I felt back in 1978 coming out of college when guys were saying I was too small and my arm wasn’t strong enough. Some of the same type of blind criticism was being laid on Cam.”

Whatever the reasons, it’s hard to find anyone now who doesn’t think Newton can play.

Permalink 141 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
141 Responses to “Warren Moon on Cam Newton: I hate to say I told you so, but…”
  1. fishercob says: Sep 20, 2011 6:17 PM

I held Jamarcus Russell’s failures against Newton, and if I’m being honest with myself, there was probably a racial element to that. Shame on me and good for Cam. I hope he continues to light it up.

2. giveseanpaytonhisjuicyfruit says: Sep 20, 2011 6:19 PM

Even though I agree with Warren, two games hardly makes a season.

3. redbear18 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:19 PM

I was a cam skeptic, but he’s proving me wrong, and I’m pleasantly surprised. Congrats to cam on the fast start and good luck for the rest of the season.

4. damnskins703 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:20 PM

I hate to say I told you so but he’s 0-2…Does have a lot of yards and is throwing int’s at critical moments but hey at least he throws for yds

5. mikea311 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:20 PM

its been two games…

6. mrcincinnati says: Sep 20, 2011 6:23 PM

im not really a newton fan or a tebow fan..but when a player was succesful for so long in college why doesnt he get a fair shot in the nfl..happy for newton and sad for tebow..

7. numberoneinthehoodg says: Sep 20, 2011 6:25 PM

Paragraph seven says a lot. Arm strength and size does not equal racism. Insecure much? People analyze qb’s more than any other. Too bad Warren “I beat my wife” Moon can’t separate the two. I really liked the guys story until he started opening his mouth too much. His tongue is still red like all of ours.

8. 6thsense79 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:25 PM

I don’t know if some of the criticism hurled Cam’s way was racial but I do think it was rediculously over the top. All the posters (and there were many) posting that he’ll never sucseed in the league…..Comparing his abilities to Tim Tebow!! Or even saying Tebow is better than him…..Saying he will definitely fail…..Questioning his intelligence and wether he had enough to play QB in the league (actually I see where Moon could have seen something racial there)……All this and more were talking points made by bloggers on this very site……Eat Crow hate mongers.

Of course 2 games even 2 historic games don’t make a great player but only a blind man wouldn’t recognize the high ceiling Newton has. Rediculously poised for a rookie playing his 1st 2 real NFL games with only 1 quality receiver in Steve Smith.

9. favreforever says: Sep 20, 2011 6:26 PM

OTOH, they could have drafted a defensive stud with the first pick, then taken that short unathletic red haired guy in the second round. Who has a win and a passer rating 20 points higher than the Newt so far this season.

10. bayoubauer says: Sep 20, 2011 6:26 PM

Nobody cares about you or your opinion, Moon.

11. tjacks7 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:31 PM

Hmm.. he threw 3 horrible picks last week? He had a bunch of yards again, but he wouldn’t have needed them if he didn’t practically give the Packers the game with all of his turnovers.

It’s been two weeks. I’m not ready to say he is going to be great like Warren wants me to believe. Jury is still out IMO.

12. slammincamnewton says: Sep 20, 2011 6:31 PM

7 rings pittsburgh? We winning 12. 14-2 Panthers. Slammin Cam FTW!!!

13. notrelated says: Sep 20, 2011 6:32 PM

Told you so? He’s 0-2 and threw 3 int last week. Wow he throws a lot of yards!

14. 6thsense79 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:33 PM

damnskins703 says:Sep 20, 2011 6:20 PM

———————————
    Really….Really??? This is the same Carolina Panthers that were absolutely horrible on offense last year….I mean historically bad horrible. In fact this is almost the exact same offense. Besides Newton the Panthers haven’t really made any major changes to their offensive personal….Yet they were able to hang with the defending Super Bowl champs this year where as last year they would have been blown out. Are you really that blind that you don’t see that? Does your hate really run that deep? There’s 0-2 with no hope like the Panthers of last year and the Chiefs/Seahawks of this year and there’s 0-2 with plenty of hope for the future. The Panthers have something to build on and they have the most important piece in place (QB). Quite the hate. Congratulate.

15. boneyardbuc says: Sep 20, 2011 6:34 PM

0-2

16. fishercob says: Sep 20, 2011 6:35 PM

To those who are saying “it’s been two games,” can you think of another example of a top pick rookie QB who has had so much early production only to see see his production fall off dramatically and ultimately not pan out? I can’t.

17. tjacks7 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:35 PM

If he continues to throw INT’s, I’m going to assume he can’t read defenses. Can he learn to read defenses in time? Probably. But will he ever be an above average QB without being able to read and take advantage of defenses routinely? Doubt it.

He has all the God-given ability in the world. He could be a good or even elite QB at some point. But to say he’s everything Warren Moon said he is and more after 2 games is complete garbage.

18. birdmantd says: Sep 20, 2011 6:36 PM

More picks than INTs. Let’s hold this discussion until the end of the season.

19. birdmantd says: Sep 20, 2011 6:36 PM

More picks than TDs. Let’s hold this discussion until the end of the season.

20. contra74 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:36 PM

——————
    Sorry to burst your bubble but if your QB is getting you 400+ yards then he has done everything HE can to win the game. Look towards his D to see if they can stop the other team from scoring in order for him to win a game.

21. tfbuckfutter says: Sep 20, 2011 6:36 PM

I find dubious his claim that “a lot” of people have called him to tell him he was right.

Particularly after 2 games.

22. boneyardbuc says: Sep 20, 2011 6:38 PM

Isn’t supporting someone because of their race just as ignorant as criticizing them because of it??

Pot meet kettle…

23. panthersftw says: Sep 20, 2011 6:38 PM

I didnt think he was going to be near this good, at least not for a long time. And im a panthers fan.

But i still to this day never understood the jamarcus comparison damn near everybody made. Jamarcus was fat, slow, and lazy. If not for his rocket arm he had nothing. Cam is a freakish athlete.

24. joshborden says: Sep 20, 2011 6:38 PM

giveseanpaytonhisjuicyfruit says:
    Sep 20, 2011 6:19 PM
    Even though I agree with Warren, two games hardly makes a season.
    ————————————————–
    Your right 2 games does not make a season, BUT, how many QB’s in the last 2 games have thrown for more than 800 yards???

Everyone knows that Cam has not won a game yet…..but the last time I checked he was on a TEAM and that TEAM has to help him out to win games, coaches included.

25. jpmelon says: Sep 20, 2011 6:40 PM

two games….both losses……”had one of the greatest starts to a career in NFL history”? Are you kidding me?

26. jml4343 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:41 PM

68% of the league is African American. Whenever someone is criticized people are quick to say it’s racially motivated. When can we move past the “racial” comment and judge a man on his character and his abilities?
    His Dad tried to sell him for $180,000. Why would you call me a racist if I thought his character should be questioned because of that?

Ditch the crutch, be an ambassador to the game and a team leader and there won’t be any haters.

27. gustavejfrerotte says: Sep 20, 2011 6:42 PM

2 games. 2 losses.

I’m better than Moon and Newton.

Right now.

-Gus-

28. dspyank2k11 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:43 PM

Tell me when he wins games angry old retired Warren.

29. Cowboys-Forum says: Sep 20, 2011 6:43 PM

Hey Warren, can we put the anointing oil’s away until he plays atleast one whole season.

30. cliffordc05 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:44 PM

The last rookie quarterback to have a comparable start was Todd Marinovich. Cam, however, appears to be the real deal. Unlike Marinovich, I have every confidence that the crack pipe will not be his downfall.

31. tdk24 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:45 PM

Some of the criticism is racial? I’d say most of it was. Why else did people compare him to Jamarcus, Mcnabb, VY, Vick? I think Bo Jackson was the only person comparing him to a white QB. I see it go both ways though, and it really should stop. Comparing players should not involve only other players with matching skin color. What is wrong with comparing Cam to Elway or Steve Young? All relatively the same size, good arm strength, and know when to scramble. Yes Cam has a long way to go, but so did those other 2 QB’s when they started. Shoot, Young started in the USFL before being terrible in Tampa, then becoming a household name in San Fran. Elway was a career choker until his last 2 years in the league.

32. Burritto says: Sep 20, 2011 6:49 PM

I’m sorry. I was wrong about him.

33. tdk24 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:50 PM

“tfbuckfutter says:
    Sep 20, 2011 6:36 PM

Particularly after 2 games.”

That’s not what he said, read it again.

34. raiderlyfe510 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:50 PM

Yeah…dummies were comparing him to Jamarcus Russell. Only way you could compare Newton to Jamarcus is He had a head coach/O line Coach who doesnt know how to protect the QB like Tom Cable, if he had Air Coryell Passing game coordinator, a West Coast Offense QB coach, a running game coordinator calling his plays…two rookie WRs…and NO OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

NFL has a bunch of idiots running it.

35. trickbunny says: Sep 20, 2011 6:52 PM

Warren Moon is so happy about being right about Cam Newton because it gives him the chance to say “I told you so.” ..Because, really, Warren Moon is quite obviously all about Warren Moon.

36. bullethead527 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:52 PM

I’m not going to lie, I thought we would be 1-1 and Cam would be struggling throwing twice as many picks as he has know with the same amount of TD’s, and we would be running the ball like crazy to help Cam’s development, He did play vs the best redzone Def in the league(2010) and the Def super bowl champs, throwing two picks to a future hall of famer who made great plays to get in position to make the play, Me being a die hard panther fan, these are the best two losses I’ve seen since we lost to the Packers in the NFC Champ game are second season and after going 1-15 ,two years later losing the super bowl to New England by 3… It took Jimmy until weak 8 or 9 to pass for 800 yards, Jimmy had 3 TD’s in 10 or 11 games…. Cam has 2 rushing and 2 passing TD’s in two games, with 4 INT’s so all in all a rookie that is even with TD’s and INT’s, with 854 yards, the two losses hurt, but, us Panthers fans are happy we have a chance to be better in the future….. all these analysts, bashed Cam over and over and over, even Deion Sanders and Micheal Iriving Warren Sapp, Terry Bradshaw, and many more…… But now they’re in shock as myself, but the difference in me and them, I still had faith in Cam being the man for the JOB!!!

37. tjacks7 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:53 PM

joshborden says:

——————————————–

I respectfully disagree, sir. Great individuals put their team on their back. They single handedly carry their team while (mis)management makes minimal to no attempt to surround them with talent players. Ultimately, the weight of the pathetic team on their shoulders causes nerve damage in the neck which threatens that great individuals carrer.

Respectfully,

Peyton Manning

38. goldrush36 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:55 PM

Against a absolutely terrible Cards defense missing key players and a Green Bay defense that’s taking it’s lumps as well. Not saying he hasn’t done a pretty good job, but lets watch the season play out before we anoint this guy the 2nd coming.

39. donbaseball says: Sep 20, 2011 6:56 PM

Quarterback Rating:

Andy Dalton: 105.7
    Cam Newton: 89.1

40. nineroutsider says: Sep 20, 2011 6:57 PM

I don’t care if he’s 0-2, I don’t care if he has had a few turnovers…if you don’t think the kid can’t play you don’t know football. Bradford had a great rookie campaign and Cam is blowing him away…far away.

I didn’t believe in Cam either; I didn’t think he was accurate enough but I was wrong.

As soon as he actually gets it, he will be the most exciting player in the game and will take the Panthers on a ride. He will get it too.

It’s one thing to make a mistake, but to continue to defend it afterwards shows that your mind is quite small and narrow. Sack up and say he is who you thought he wasn’t!

41. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Sep 20, 2011 6:57 PM

At least Tim Tebow’s name wasn’t brought up.

Oops!

42. karlpilkington says: Sep 20, 2011 6:58 PM

Yeah greatest start to the year if……. it wasnt a team sport.

43. db105 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:58 PM

Excellent start to a career. Would be more impressive if the NFL passing stats weren’t juiced.

44. nineroutsider says: Sep 20, 2011 7:00 PM

goldrush36 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:55 PM

————————————————————
    It isn’t about 2nd comings, about being able to play. We all know now that he can play. Do you remember when Alex Smith came up 7 years ago? Cam is already better for the most part.

45. rgwhodey says: Sep 20, 2011 7:00 PM

No doubt he’s putting up a ton of yards… However he has yet to win a game and he has yet to go a game without a pick. Funny how the best rookie qb in the league doesn’t get a highlight on ESPN or NFL network no one even mentions him.. let me know when cam wins a game before saying you told me so Moon..

Jus sayin’

46. 6thsense79 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:01 PM

boneyardbuc says:Sep 20, 2011 6:38 PM

Pot meet kettle…
    ——————————————
    Please tell me who supported someone because of their race. Moon worked closely with Newton saw his potential close up and was annoyed by folks that seemingly downed him racially. He’s a Hall of Fame QB so I would think he knows a thing or two about the position.

I didn’t see Moon supporting Jamarcus Russell before he came into the league like he did Cam. This is the favorite strategy for those that hold prejudices….turn it around and try to make it seem like it is the other guy that’s actually racially prejudice.

47. ajknox88 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:02 PM

I’ll say I’m suprised by Cam’s numbers considering how awful he was in preseason. The int’s are a bit alarming. But overall good S*** Cam.

48. joelvis72 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:04 PM

Moon was acquitted in 1996 of charges of assaulting his wife the previous year (JET, March 11, 1996). The couple said they scuffled at their home in Missouri City, TX, after an argument over credit cards provoked Mrs. Moon to throw a 2-pound candleholder at Moon’s back. The ensuing struggle left Mrs. Moon with scratches and bruises around her neck and shoulders.

49. jebsta16 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:07 PM

Cam is playing pretty good but 0-2 is not good. He is struggling in the red zone. He got one by the Packers but did not throw another on in the 3 or 4 other chances he had. You can even make a case for that wide open receiver he over threw. Those are passes that even average qb’s make.

My beef with him and the same goes for Tony Romo is they get down on themselves to easy. When they throw a pick they hide on the bench and throw a towel over their heads or start kicking rocks around and aren’t even paying attention. The guy has a lot of talent but will never win a Superbowl same thing with Romo. You never see Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Bree’s sulking on the side line over a turn over. They are getting with their team and looking at pictures to see what they can do differently. Those are winners.

50. 6thsense79 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:09 PM

tjacks7 says:Sep 20, 2011 6:53 PM

joshborden says:

——————————————–

Respectfully,

Peyton Manning
    ——————————————-
    Peyton Manning’s record his rookie year in Indy: 3-13………..

QB rating 72.7 , passing yards 3739, passing TD 26, int 28..

Slow your roll “Peyton”. You put on a very respectable rookie season and everyone saw your budding greatness on a terrible team that year but that above statement is rediculous. Especially seeing as how your Dad was a great player stuck on a terrible team that never won.

51. ka14hof says: Sep 20, 2011 7:13 PM

Why is HE in the HOF anyway, he has no rings? That is the only, or main parameter, right?

52. azredbird4 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:18 PM

hey warren…..check yourself……it’s 2 TWO games big boy

53. jamezz23 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:18 PM

I’m still stunned how micheal wilbon said that he would take cam newton over matthew stafford right now. He still has inaccuracies and wait till other teams get actual game video on him. All that being said, I love how the dude plays!

54. tfbuckfutter says: Sep 20, 2011 7:21 PM

tdk24 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:50 PM
    “tfbuckfutter says:
    Sep 20, 2011 6:36 PM

Particularly after 2 games.”

That’s not what he said, read it again.

—————————————

If you can explain which of those words don’t mean the thing they mean according to the English language then I’m all ears.

55. mrplow3 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:23 PM

“there was probably a racial element to that. Shame on me and good for Cam. ”

Please shut up with your politically correct white man’s guilt. All you’re doing is feeding the race card playing vermin of the world.

How about you questioned him because he’s a cheater ala Reggie Bush which means he has low charachter. Judge his actions and leave it at that.

56. cowboysfaninbuffalove says: Sep 20, 2011 7:24 PM

57. tennesseeoilers says: Sep 20, 2011 7:24 PM

As a longtime Titans fan who, like so many others, pinned great hopes on Vince Young, I watch Cam Newton in action and shake my head. The biggest difference between the two? It’s all mental. Warren Moon has repeatedly reached out to Vince Young as a potential mentor, and Young has continued to blow him off. Cam Newton on the other hand is no fool. When Warren Moon offers, you say YES.

58. mrplow3 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:26 PM

“Sorry to burst your bubble but if your QB is getting you 400+ yards then he has done everything HE can to win the game.”

Is this a joke? Can’t tell if this is serious.

59. welzy says: Sep 20, 2011 7:26 PM

60. jetsarestacked says: Sep 20, 2011 7:29 PM

everyone bringing up newton’s interceptions need to relax. peyton manning, arguably the best qb ever, threw TWENTY EIGHT picks his rookie year!

btw, i would love to see what that one columnist who absolutely killed everything about newton right down to he supposed fake smile has to say. he looks like an idiot so far!

61. franklamar17 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:29 PM

@ fishercob,i like that you are a mans man…we all from time to time get caught up and say things are believe things because of race..where the problem comes from is we are scared to admit it,so we push the lie even father out there!!!If we all did that,man things would be out of this world.back to cam,i think he will do great things in years to come,i have not seen many start like that,so with time ,the sky is the limit!

62. 6thsense79 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:30 PM

ka14hof says:Sep 20, 2011 7:13 PM

————————
    No. There are a number of great QBs that played in the NFL who never won a ring and are in the Hall of Fame. Fran Tarkenton, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts…………….Only the mindless and clueless use Super Bowl wins as the sole criteria for which quarterbacks are hall of fame worthy.

63. goldrush36 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:32 PM

ka14hof says: Sep 20, 2011 7:13 PM

__________________________________________

Neither did Jim Kelly, but he was sure maid of honor a lot.

64. stixzidinia says: Sep 20, 2011 7:34 PM

I’ll reserve judgement until after the season. If, by then, he’s maintained then i’ll happily admit I was wrong. But not after 2 games. Todd Marinovich looked great after 2 games. Nuff said.

65. flavordave says: Sep 20, 2011 7:39 PM

Even Tikis flabbergasted

66. brealistic says: Sep 20, 2011 7:40 PM

dspyank2k11 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:43 PM Tell me when he wins games angry old retired Warren.

No, tell US when you make it to the NFL.
    Talent EVALUATOR…

67. tiffpats4eva says: Sep 20, 2011 7:40 PM

Warren’s right. Some posters on this site called him JaMarcus Russell. Lots of analysts said the same.

68. mhalt99 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:40 PM

“I hate to say I told you so but he’s 0-2…Does have a lot of yards and is throwing int’s at critical
    moments but hey at least he throws for yds”

Are you talking about Cam Newton on Dan Marino? oh right….Dan Marino played on a team that had a bunch of pro bowlers…….Cam is playing for a team that just picked first in the draft.

69. skoobyfl says: Sep 20, 2011 7:43 PM

2 games isn’t an a I told you so proof, get over yourself Warren.

70. mistakenny says: Sep 20, 2011 7:45 PM

Well 2 games dont make a season but in the last one the man threw for 432 yards against one of the best defenses in the nfl , and carolinas def couldnt stop gb from scoring more , wait till the panthers play a team with a lousy offense And secondary ( to prevent his ints lol ) and youll see what he does then ..

71. tennesseeoilers says: Sep 20, 2011 7:48 PM

cowboysfaninbuffalove says: “Cam’s throwing short routes and his receivers are making things happen.”

CowboysFanInBuffaLove, please watch the games before you pipe off and paint yourself to be an idiot. Cam’s long ball and intermediate passes have been two of his greatest strengths so far.

No respect your way,
    Titans Fan in Charlotte

72. brealistic says: Sep 20, 2011 7:53 PM

cowboysfaninbuffalove says: Sep 20, 2011 7:24 PM Since when is throwing 3 ints in a game good? Cam newton in my book still won’t be a good qb…he’s throwing short routes and his receivers are making things happen.

Yo, yam yam, if the guy is open, that’s NOT a bad thing, maybe you guys can get Tony ROMO to UNDERSTAND…

73. catman72 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:54 PM

Pssst… Peyton Manning went 3-13 his rookie season and Troy Aikman went 1-15. Did those records determine their ultimate success?

74. chobes68 says: Sep 20, 2011 7:56 PM

Wow, you’re not beneath say “I told you so”, and yet the interview is you essentially saying the very thing. As well, you’re not beneath playing the race card. Kinda difficult to claim that considering most of the NFL is black, and the kid was drafted number 1, even though he only played one year of major college football, and there was that *cough* 180k issue over his head.

While I’m impressed so far, let’s not start working on that Canton bust for him just yet. Also, they might want to get that OC to start running the ball a bit more, they have a couple of pretty good backs last I recall.

75. billygoat says: Sep 20, 2011 7:57 PM

I don’t believe the criticism was racially motivated. Any #1 pick in the draft is criticized. It comes with the position you are drafted. You are expected to be a savior of a franchise. As far as his race I don’t freakin care. Just keep playing good ball to make things interesting for me on Sundays.

76. botchedextrapoint says: Sep 20, 2011 7:58 PM

Coming into this season the panthers strength was the running game. The cards and pack took away the run and dared Cam to beat them with his arm. He did, but rookie mistakes negated the impact of those yards. He is raw but looks like the real deal. He’s playing like Eli at the moment with a chance in a few seasons to play like Peyton.

77. wtfchiefs says: Sep 20, 2011 8:17 PM

I don’t get the gloating. This isn’t fantasy football, he can throw for a bajillion yards for all I care, he’s 0-2 and has more turnovers than TDs.

Can’t people wait more than 2 games before annointing a guy the next big thing?

78. qdog112 says: Sep 20, 2011 8:19 PM

Hall of Fame QB, Warren Moon, the man who has more passing yardage than anyone in pro football, was right then and he’s right now.

Some of you still don’t get it. JaMarcus Russell 2.0, huh?

79. beastson says: Sep 20, 2011 8:21 PM

damnskins703 says:
    Sep 20, 2011 6:20 PM

————–

You’re right. He should be playing DB out there as well, maybe slide him into a LB position on few plays.. It’s all his fault

80. scudbot says: Sep 20, 2011 8:27 PM

Impossible to tell yet what his career will be like but he’s physically gifted, clearly. But props to Cam Newton for keeping a Vick post off the page.

81. monsterscream says: Sep 20, 2011 8:27 PM

Warren – Get over yourself. You’re not the only one who loved Cam. He did go 1st overall you know that right?

82. pantherguy344 says: Sep 20, 2011 8:31 PM

This kids never gonna do enough for the critics to accept him. The good thing is he realizes that. He’s running away with rookie of the year and I honestly dont even think its close. Hard to believe that a lot of people thought Gabbert should have gone 1st. Gabbert? He barely made it on the bus in jville. The kid is legit. Far from great, but a hell of alot better than most people thought. The ignorance of the haters is overwhelming. They could win the division this year and he would still get slammed on this site. Amazing.

83. slick3 says: Sep 20, 2011 8:40 PM

goldrush36 says:Sep 20, 2011 7:32 PM

ka14hof says: Sep 20, 2011 7:13 PM

———————————————————-Well now, if that’s the criteria, they’ll just have to deduct Dan Marino ( Who was inducted in 2005 btw) from the Hall Of Fame.

84. moosev says: Sep 20, 2011 8:43 PM

Kudos to Cam. A great accomplishment for sure. He desperately needs more good players around him. Lost in all this is the money they wasted on DeAngelo, who is terrible at RB. The Panthers could’ve used that money for other needs. Cam is forced to throw or run it himself way too much. He’s gonna get killed out there if things don’t change. Then the talk will be, “What could’ve been if Cam stayed healthy.

Also, Moon brought race into this discussion. Shame on him. That is not Cam’s fault and he shouldn’t be hated because of it.

Skins 2-0.

85. slick3 says: Sep 20, 2011 8:47 PM

rgwhodey says:Sep 20, 2011 7:00 PM

Jus sayin’
    __________________________________

I didn’t know that TEAM was named the Carolina Newtons.

Jus sayin’

86. ws0001 says: Sep 20, 2011 8:50 PM

The criticism about Cam Newton’s smile was ridiculous. It is not just whether or not a scout or analyst was wrong in his assessment of Cam Newton, but the fact that of what the scout felt mattered. Warren Moon was absolutely right to think judging a quarterback on his smile was stupid. It is. Hey look, the kid with the fake smile didn’t make him an awful NFL quarterback!

Two games does not make a career, but he can stink to high heaven for here on but it would not change the fact evaluating a quarterback on his smile is still stupid. It was wrong when that exec questioned whether there was something wrong with Andy Dalton because he had red hair. It is not asking too much for people to keep their assessments of players on things that matter. Hair color and smiles have never mattered and never will, so they shouldn’t be brought up.

87. jliskiew says: Sep 20, 2011 8:57 PM

For those that think they’ve seen enough after two games (and are for some reason willing to ignore 4 INTs and an 0-2 record), think about this – Rick Mirer, Michael Clayton, and Vince Young all won rookie of the year.

Let’s all take a deep breath and wait until 2013 before we decide whether Cam is a bust or a future star.

88. deconjonesbitchslap says: Sep 20, 2011 8:59 PM

hey warren,

i never thought he would suck because he was black. I thought he would suck because he was a narcissistic, camera searching prick who cheated while he was in college. his numbers are much better than i ever thought they would be. that’s for sure. but he did throw 3 picks on sunday….soooooo don’t crown him a hall of famer yet.

i also think christian ponder will suck. is it because he’s white? no. it’s because he wasn’t very good in college and he got hurt all the time.

89. bengalsfan513 says: Sep 20, 2011 9:01 PM

If he were white, wouldve he still been jock riding him

IMO I dont think so

90. omegaichiban says: Sep 20, 2011 9:10 PM

Just the Green Bay Game…A future hall of famer baited him into two picks. One overthrow pick. one miscommunication he thought the rec. would keep going, the rec thought he would throw it right to him and hesitated. He’s a ROOKIE w/an abbrv. (see how i did that, I abbreviated abbreviated…Lois i’m wet!!) offseason. As a future hall of fame qb A. Rodgers said, They are lucky they got him early. These teams better hope he doesn’t start going beastmode in the red zone.

91. tampajoey says: Sep 20, 2011 9:22 PM

Warren Moon invented the internet.

92. scudbot says: Sep 20, 2011 9:23 PM

Rodgers actually said that Newton was “impressive” and he was glad the Packers got to play him early in the season rather than later. But that’s assuming he takes the stupid towel off his head, keeps studying tape, learns and plays better as a result. He’s got extraordinary gifts but his head is an unknown at this point. Whether the screwed up psychology that caused the character issues will impact his play is yet to be known.

93. tradeassociation says: Sep 20, 2011 9:23 PM

And I am still waiting for “he’s the next JaMarcus Russell” folks to explain the justification for this comparison. Really, the two had NOTHING in common with each other. Russell is a pure, dropback passer. Newton is a dual threat passer. Russell had probably the most talented team in the NCAA and couldn’t lead them to so much as an SEC title, and didn’t even win the SEC West his last year. Newton played on a team that would have won like 4 games (according to Nick Saban) without him and led them to a national title, accounting for 50 TDs. THE ONLY THING THAT CAM NEWTON AND JAMARCUS RUSSELL HAD IN COMMON WERE BOTH BEING BLACK. Look, comparing Newton with Alex Smith, Eric Crouch, Vince Young, Pat White or Tim Tebow would have made more sense, because all were running QBs. (Then again, not all running QBs fail, but that’s a whole other story.) And it wasn’t just because they were from the SEC, because Tim Couch, Danny Wuerrfel, etc. were from the SEC also.

Seriously, the only thing Newton and Russell had in common was their race. I just want some of these “what, who me?” guys to admit it.

94. jjbadd says: Sep 20, 2011 9:26 PM

In all honesty, I knew Cam was going to be great when I watched his last yr at Auburn. But with that said, 400 yards is good but nowadays Qb’s are judged on 1 thing, that W or L. People don’t care if you throw for 100 yds, as long as you win! Int’s are killing him, but I think he will get it together b4 mid season and I have no doubt he is a special player. I’m glad Carolina is my 2nd favorite team, or co-favorite!

95. brintfatre says: Sep 20, 2011 9:29 PM

Newton has Brett Favre’s PR machine. As long as they have some records to hang his hat on it doesn’t matter if he helps his team win games.

96. bdert says: Sep 20, 2011 9:35 PM

I’m a Falcons fan & can’t help but like this kid…Hard to root against ‘em…

97. funndamentals says: Sep 20, 2011 9:47 PM

Keep moving the goalposts haters. If he was white he’d be all over ESPN and selling stupid $#*& on television commercials by now.

98. teddybear9 says: Sep 20, 2011 9:49 PM

Whether he is good or not, the criticism was not racial at all. It’s just that people love to critique quarterbacks. If you think it’s racial, ask Rex Grossman about the last few years.

99. mwcarolina says: Sep 20, 2011 9:54 PM

he didnt tell me anything, i never said he would suck, i did disagree on people not liking him for race reasons and did disagree with him on the character issues that Newton had in college, but on him as a pro, i never thought he would suck, i thought it would take TIME now and i was wrong there, he was ready to start and start now.

100. rd1159 says: Sep 20, 2011 10:06 PM

It doesnt matter if he throws for 600 yards a game and ever game. I does not change the fact that he’s a thief, cheat , and a lier. The NFL is a major business and I dont think that people should be glorafied for being a person of such low character. I work for Wells fargo and my brother works for IBM and I can tell you he would never work for our company because of his past record. The NFL should be more strick than anybody because small children look up to these players as role models and when they r such a person with an checkered past it sends the wrong message to our kids.

101. nite2al says: Sep 20, 2011 10:07 PM

To all the negative people saying it’s only been 2 games, he didn’t get the win, he threw 3 picks, etc. If Cam had totally stunk it up these first two weeks, you would have been saying “I told ya so”. See the irony? Since he played well — you need more games, if he stinks — you don’t need more games. You can’t have it both ways…

102. madisonave99 says: Sep 20, 2011 10:14 PM

Cam has showed ridiculous poise, maturity, and throwing skill for someone who’s in his NFL infancy

Everytime I hear one of these Mel Kiper Jr./Todd Mcshay/Mike Mayock “experts” or an armchair NFL fan try and say that this QB or that QB won’t make it in the NFL for whatever nonsensical reaso., I think back to something I heard Bill Walsh say several years ago–”most people have absolutely NO IDEA how to properly judge a QB.” That statement is never more true than these days

103. billylrsn says: Sep 20, 2011 10:15 PM

[quote] If Chicago puts up 400 passing yards on Green Bay this weekend, that would be 3 in a row for the Pack. I’m not annointing Newton anything yet. [/quote]

Funny how this quote says Chicago, Green Bay, however for Carolina it’s about Newton. No mention of a “team” when it comes to Carolina, only Cam Newton is spoke about.

Most of the comments in this story make me sick. Warren Moon is a HOF quarterback. What gives all of you posters knowledge on this subject? Talking heads? The Mother Ship? Very few of you could watch film of a QB prospect and say anything that is relevant to a Scout, or GM of a NFL team. Stop rehashing what you heard all draft/off season from a bunch of media attention junkies and just manage your fantasy football team. Thanks.

104. raideralex99 says: Sep 20, 2011 10:24 PM

Wow … Favre throws an int in the nfc final and everyone wants to hang him … Cam throw 3 picks and he’s a super star hall-of-famer Qb … the best ever QB in the history of the nfl.
    What’s wrong with this picture?

105. rubbernilly says: Sep 20, 2011 10:24 PM

Hard to deny what he’s done on the field, but I find myself waiting for his off-the-field decision making to catch up with him.

106. damnskins703 says: Sep 20, 2011 10:28 PM

Yea Warren let’s praise somebody that has more int’s then td

107. nite2al says: Sep 20, 2011 10:38 PM

@jjbadd

It’s sad, but some QBs are judged by even more than wins these days. Romo, Flacco and Sanchez seem to take heat on a routine basis, and they win a lot of games. I guess the days of Archie Manning are gone. He was celebrated, but not very high on the win meter.

It’s amazing how people complained about Cam’s picks and not winning the game. He threw the ball a lot (against the SB champs) and the Panthers’ running game sucks. Give the guy a break…he’s had only 2 games with the shortest time to prepare in NFL history.

108. trbowman says: Sep 20, 2011 10:41 PM

Anytime someone says “I hate to say I told you so,” they love to tell you so

“I’m a Falcons fan & can’t help but like this kid…Hard to root against ‘em…”

Hard? Guy comes off as nothing but smug and arrogant in every interview I’ve seen. Easy to root against.

109. joshm329 says: Sep 20, 2011 10:41 PM

I don’t understand all the hate for Cam. I’m not saying he’s an elite quarterback or headed for the hall of fame, but he’s playing great for a ROOKIE.

110. visible4 says: Sep 20, 2011 10:44 PM

What Cam has done in 2 weeks is amazing. But you cannot play the “I told you so” card after two weeks. Lets wait until the D-Coordinators get some game film on him and then we will see how he adjusts.

111. goforthanddie says: Sep 20, 2011 10:48 PM

M-O-O-N, that spells “0 and 2″.

112. redskinsrt says: Sep 20, 2011 10:56 PM

Mallett got some criticism too.

113. chuckyd317 says: Sep 20, 2011 11:00 PM

Go ahead Moon, tell us how he is 0-2 with 5 picks and how he has choked twice with the game on the line.. You sure told us!!! You know whoelse threw for 400 yards in their 1st 2 games?? Billy Volek… Case Closed…

114. asublimeday says: Sep 20, 2011 11:45 PM

Back to obscurity, Warren.

115. whatswiththehate says: Sep 21, 2011 12:00 AM

Glad to still see that mentioning of Warren Moons name still brings out those who are still convincing themselves that they are not bigots or pure racists by attacking Moon for speaking his mind. I guess “freedom of speach” is still only for the priviledged… Yeah, cause we all know that no one is suppose dear criticize those perfect folks in our sports media.

Also, not surpised by the TMZ like headline..I see that PFT is still helping out their writing buddy Nolan.

116. cmgww says: Sep 21, 2011 12:35 AM

There was another QB who WON his first two games as an NFL rookie, and is now considered one of the biggest busts in NFL history…Ryan Leaf. I remember an article about it: Manning had struggled those first 2 games in 1998 and Leaf played relatively well. The article (may have been SI, it’s been a long time) even questioned the Colts for drafting Manning over Leaf. That was before Leaf crapped the bed in week 3 and, well, we all know how that has turned out. Manning is on his way to the HOF and Leaf has been arrested for possession of narcotics and is currently living in Canada working for a travel company.

My point is this. Nobody can predict the future. Cam may well have a great career….or he could bust out big time. Let’s save the “I told you so” comments for 3 years from now. Oh and BTW, Manning led the Colts to the playoffs in his 2nd season. and 3rd, and except for 2001, every year since. Maybe not this year but he’s not playing, so that kinda doesn’t count. He MAY come back this season but the Colts won’t be in contention when he does….

117. thephantomstranger says: Sep 21, 2011 1:41 AM

____________

So racists in 1978 thought black quarterbacks couldn’t succeed because they were too small and their arms weren’t strong enough?

118. tbtrojan says: Sep 21, 2011 1:42 AM

Two games
    Two loses
    You don’t win by passing for the most yards and good QBs win.

What happened to Carnell Williams after his first 3 games where he was setting records for RBs, based on Moons “I told you so” criteria of 2 games Williams must be the best back in the league, oh wait after those first 3 games he stank and proved the doubters right. Same could easily happen to Newton as soon as there is pro film on the guy.

119. pilot2011 says: Sep 21, 2011 1:55 AM

Seems to me a few people are little upset that Newton isn’t their 21 year old QB playing like an athletic Tom Brady.

BTW, why isn’t anyone talking about how the Panthers just might actually be good? They have 3 probowl o-linemen, Williams/Stewart, Shockey/Olsen, and Smith/Lafell.

Newton’s doing really well, but put him on the Chiefs or Seahawks and who knows what his number would look like?

120. pilot2011 says: Sep 21, 2011 1:59 AM

edit: I shouldn’t have said the Panthers are “good” because they are o-2, but it is no denying they are much improved and the weapons they have in place on offense will make way for plenty of wins this season.

121. jdd428 says: Sep 21, 2011 3:14 AM

The INTs are due to his NFL inexperience; he’ll reduce them as he learns. Also, keep in mind that 3 of the 4 he’s thrown have come against the defending champs.

It says a lot that he has had his team – a team that most people expected to be just as awful as it was last year – in the game until late both times. Sure he’s come up a yard short both times when it matters and is now 0-2, but anyone who doesn’t see the signs as encouraging just isn’t looking – perhaps because they don’t want to see it.

Oh, and to the person who said he’s been nothing but smug in every interview, you clearly haven’t seen every interview he’s given.

122. mbhcu98 says: Sep 21, 2011 3:24 AM

Pot meet kettle…
    ———————————————
    Of course you are ASSuming he supports him because he is black. ASS meet U not ME.

123. mbhcu98 says: Sep 21, 2011 3:31 AM

trbow- Anytime someone says “I hate to say I told you so,” they love to tell you so

“I’m a Falcons fan & can’t help but like this kid…Hard to root against ‘em…”

========================
    That’s funny, he comes off as an intelligent man with a lot of confidence to me. Definition of smug-
    contentedly confident of one’s ability, superiority, or correctness; complacent.
    trim; spruce; smooth; sleek.

Do you think he is content with what he’s done thus far? I think you need to open your eyes and the hate go. Barring injury he will be a great qb. Deal with it.

124. mbhcu98 says: Sep 21, 2011 3:34 AM

Andy Dalton will be a good one. He will hold nothing over Cam though. His passer rating is higher though. Against Denver and Clevland while Cam played Arizona and Green Bay. Stop the hate.
    Cam will be a great qb barring injury. Deal with it haters.lol.

125. mbhcu98 says: Sep 21, 2011 3:37 AM

Damnskins- Yea Warren let’s praise somebody that has more int’s then td
    —————————————–
    The correct usage would be thAn not thEn. Are you as dumb as Cam Newton?lol. If warren shouldn’t praise Cam because he has more int’s thAn td’s, thEn you shouldn’t write until you’ve had grammar lessons.

126. tatum064 says: Sep 21, 2011 3:54 AM

it’s only been two games, but it sure makes a lot of people get ready fro crow. I cannot fathom how people would hope for a player to do poorly – including Tebow…but people tend to become small, childish hating individuals over people’s perceived faults.

127. locutus says: Sep 21, 2011 5:07 AM

Cam’s too dumb and egotistical to understand the position he is in. And, get ready, Cam will be a bust. Yeah, I said it. What are all the Cam jock sniffers going to do about it?

128. savannahrose44 says: Sep 21, 2011 5:32 AM

Cam Newton put up a lot of yardage in his first 2 games but he failed to get the W and threw a few picks. Let’s see what he does with the next 14 and then evaluate him. It’s only fair to him. You never know what the future is going to field against him. He has faced 2 teams and has 14 more to go each of them different from the last. The more film there is on this kid the more those 14 teams are going to be prepared to face him. Not saying he won’t have a rookie year like Bradford, but he has a long way to go to the end of the season and no one has a crystal ball.

129. bdluckyshot says: Sep 21, 2011 6:19 AM

Warren Moon was well-known for throwing up a bunch of stats in the NFL and never really winning anything. It only stands to reason that he would be trumpeting Newton’s “success”.

130. eaglesw00t says: Sep 21, 2011 8:01 AM

Cam Newton has as many wins in the NFL as a QB as I do. Why dont you slow your role on the I told you so schtick?

Give the kid at least half of a season to acclimate and get past the rookie wall to annoint him a hall of famer already

131. hillary10 says: Sep 21, 2011 9:23 AM

All of you who are saying it has been two games… Ya’ll are full of it. Your just mad that when the Panthers play your team Cam is going to get more hype than your whole team, and the worst part is that he is probably going to add a “L” to your schedule.

The run that Cam is on, this is what the end of the season could look like: CAM NEWTON-Rookie of the Year, Shattering Dan Marino’s passing yards per season, Pro Bowl, NFL MVP…

I am not saying that this will happen, but look at the track he is on…. Then haters, it will be all on your face…..

132. waynefontes says: Sep 21, 2011 10:16 AM

To all those saying he’d be another JaMarcus…

So far, so good. Or not.

Yeah, he’s 0-2, but it’s not because of him.

For whatever faults he has, Cam isn’t lazy and won’t coast because of a paycheck.

He’s been great so far (especially for a rookie), so before we annoint him or destroy him why not sit back and see what happens?

I’d say he’s off to a helluva start.

133. p4ever says: Sep 21, 2011 10:21 AM

Peyton Manning (unquestionably a great QB) stats for its first three games:

MIAMI
    L 15-24 for 302 1 TD 3 INT QBR 58.6

@ NE
    L 06-29 for 188 1 TD 3 INT QBR 51.1

@ NYJ
    L 06-44 for 193 0 TD 2 INT QBR 39.3

134. diablito0402 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:25 AM

I liked moon better when he kept his mouth shut, he still uses the racial card, get over racism man its 2011 we have a black president jeezzz

135. cowboysblowgoats says: Sep 21, 2011 11:41 AM

0-2
    4 Int’s
    89.1 PR

Yes warren, you were right.

136. granadafan says: Sep 21, 2011 1:15 PM

Pretty good QB and can show much more if gets some decent talent around him, especially on defense.

137. CKL says: Sep 21, 2011 1:25 PM

6thsense79 says: Sep 20, 2011 6:25 PM

____________________________________
    One quality Wr…who is helped tremendously by having two good pass catchers added @ TE, and an OC who makes better use of him, unlike Carolina has done in years past. Chud gets a lot of credit for Cam’s success with allowing Cam to best use his skills with Chud’s playcalling as does whoever made the call to add those two TEs.

Newton has been tremendous as far as his play, no doubt. But he’s been put in better position to succeed than any other QB on that team has in many, many years. Kudos to the organization for finally doing that. All of them deserve credit: Cam, Chud and the organization.

138. flapjackdaddy says: Sep 21, 2011 4:47 PM

Funny, reading some of the comments here it is rather obvious that some folks didn’t even bother to look at the box score before gracing us with their anti-Newton diatribe.

139. eaglesw00t says: Sep 22, 2011 8:39 AM

cowboysblowgoats says:
    Sep 21, 2011 11:41 AM
    0-2
    4 Int’s
    89.1 PR

——————————————

Very astute. And yes, the Cowboys certainly do blow goats. Im glad the word is out.

140. buzzbissinger says: Sep 27, 2011 12:33 AM

Wow Warren you where right. Feels good, don’t it? Feel good enough that you can’t remember you never won a SB? Feel good enough that you forgot you’re in the top 5 for INTs and Fumbles? Whoops, sorry about that.

141. dexterismyhero says: Sep 27, 2011 2:04 PM

2 games and we are talking about his………..My God, where is Brint Fart at?