Asante Samuel still sounds unhappy

Cleveland Browns v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

When Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie joined the Eagles this summer, there was a lot of speculation about what impact their arrival might have on Asante Samuel.

There was the question of playing three cornerbacks with starter ability making starter money, although today’s NFL is so pass happy that the workload part of the equation wasn’t as big a concern as the financial one. And then there was the question of Samuel’s reaction to sharing the position with two other top-flight players. That seemed to be a big concern back in training camp.

“I want to be where I’m wanted,” Samuel said back in August. “If they’re tired of my big playmaking ability, they can ship me out.”

We didn’t hear much from Samuel after that point and things seemed to have come together nicely for the Eagles. All three corners play a lot and all three have played fairly well in the first two weeks of the season. That made it odd to hear Samuel express some displeasure with the arrangement during a conference call with Giants media in advance of Sunday’s NFC East showdown.

Samuel was asked if he could ever see himself joining one of Philly’s NFC East rivals the way that wide receiver Steve Smith did when he signed with the Eagles as a free agent. The answer comes via Tom Rock of Newsday.

“The way things are going this year,” Samuel said, “I guess I probably could.”

It is hard to understand just what’s bothering Samuel. As mentioned, he’s playing a lot and his role — stopping receivers from catching the ball — isn’t any different than it was before Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie came to town. What’s more, he’s still being paid very well, $5.9 million this year, and still has a contract worth $18.8 million over the next two years. It might be unrealistic for him to see that money in Philly, but it is still pretty hard to see where he’s been dealt such an awful hand by the Eagles.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
63 Responses to “Asante Samuel still sounds unhappy”
  1. edenprairieballer says: Sep 21, 2011 5:56 PM

This guy has one of the worst attitudes in all of football. Instead of embracing the fact that the Eagles have the talent to completely shut down other teams’ passing attacks, he bitches about not being wanted. What a baby.

2. jimmytwotimes says: Sep 21, 2011 5:58 PM

All eiggles all the time !

3. zaristotle says: Sep 21, 2011 5:58 PM

Keep your head down and do your job, Asante.

4. readysethike says: Sep 21, 2011 5:59 PM

this is all just media speculation, unless he comes out and says “i don’t want to be here” you guys are just making all this up

5. raiderlyfe510 says: Sep 21, 2011 6:00 PM

Too bad we don’t have too many more draft picks to trade for him…Because man Chris Johnson is reverting back to Crisp Johnson. Those “PRIME U” lessons must be wearing off.

6. 7thlombardiontheway says: Sep 21, 2011 6:00 PM

I’d be unhappy if I was ringless. On behalf of the Steeler Nation, I apologize for hogging all the glory. After we win the 7th this year and start our league, you might have a better opportunity. Lolz

7. sdw2001 says: Sep 21, 2011 6:00 PM

Sounds to me that PFT is making something out of nothing. There is no story here.

8. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Sep 21, 2011 6:02 PM

Skins will take him. And overpay him…

9. gtorlone says: Sep 21, 2011 6:02 PM

Probably the only former Patriot still in the NFL that Bill Belichick wishes he still had.

10. We'reFineThere says: Sep 21, 2011 6:04 PM

It’s the money. He wants more or more guaranteed.

11. shmu65 says: Sep 21, 2011 6:04 PM

Yawn. Non-story. He was referring to the nature of the CBA and free agency now. Stop making everything into a soap opera.

12. Ralphie says: Sep 21, 2011 6:06 PM

Assante’s motto is “Get Paid” (it’s also one of his many tats). He’s just trying to squeeze them for more cheese.

13. hailvictory10 says: Sep 21, 2011 6:08 PM

Because he knows the eagles will NEVER EVER win a Super Bowl

Hail to the Redskins

14. terrellochouno says: Sep 21, 2011 6:10 PM

OK, I’m a Redskins fan, but I can see where his beef is. In no way, shape or form is he less valuable to ANY team than Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I would LOVE to have him in Washington.

15. Ralphie says: Sep 21, 2011 6:14 PM

gtorlone says:
    Sep 21, 2011 6:02 PM
    _____________________________

Not after dropping that sure interception from Gomer Pyle that was right in his numbers.

16. phillychzstk2012 says: Sep 21, 2011 6:15 PM

WTF is he so unhappy about. HE IS IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT as before…the starting LCB and if anything he’s going to have many more chances at making plays than he has in previous years. I love Asante but cheer the f’ck up bud

17. norcaleagles says: Sep 21, 2011 6:18 PM

7thLOMBARDI, You DO realize that you guys LOST the SuperBowl last season, dont you?

18. typicaleaglesfan says: Sep 21, 2011 6:19 PM

Steelers won’t win anything ben can’t beat the ravens let alone win another superbowl I’m tired of these 7th ring retards trolling for no reason.

19. norcaleagles says: Sep 21, 2011 6:20 PM

And maybe he was just referring to how hectic this season has been with all of the injuries and free agency signings and the fact that so many big name players are on new teams.

20. sdffa11 says: Sep 21, 2011 6:22 PM

hes obviously pissed because hes not the highest paid DB on the team. but he doesnt deserve to be the highest paid so i dont understand why he’s bitching.

id be happy to see his tackle missing ass in giant blue next year. at least we know vick and throw the screen to his side all day long since he refuses to play bump and run.

he collected millions from the eagles and while he has delivered with a lot of interceptions, he also missed a ton of tackles and allowed too many TDs for a DB that is one of the highest paid in the game.

ASANTE, IF YOU WANT TO BE PAID LIKE AN ELITE ALL AROUND PLAYER, PLAY LIKE ONE!

21. norcaleagles says: Sep 21, 2011 6:22 PM

Seriously, JOSH ALPER, Ive never even heard of you or read any of your articles. This seems like a pretty lame attempt at breaking a story. Im sure you just figured, “hey, all I have to do is write an article about the Eagles or one of their players and I’ll get tons of hits on my article.”

22. richm2256 says: Sep 21, 2011 6:36 PM

If Samuels was as good as he thinks he is, the Eagles wouldn’t be bringing other people in.

Wake up and smell the coffee, Assante.

Again.

23. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Sep 21, 2011 6:46 PM

How surprising. Team pays a player big bucks and brings in other star players when said player doesn’t play up to the contract. Then to be upset when they are upset with your performance is so diva-like. Shut up and play better.

24. dolphins4 says: Sep 21, 2011 6:48 PM

Trade him for a great Strong side linebacker.

25. jacksaysfu says: Sep 21, 2011 6:51 PM

He sounds bitter and I cant think of a reason besides he is no longer our best CB . He gets paid great , plays as much as always , and gets more targets . If he wants to go then I’m fine with Rodgers-Cromartie & Asomugha on the outside with Hanson in the slot . I would love the 49ers if they took Samuel a 2nd and 3rd for Patrick Willis , but till a miracle happens shut up & make plays Asante !!

26. realnflmaster says: Sep 21, 2011 6:51 PM

no one cares, FILTHadelphia blows.

27. fmwarner says: Sep 21, 2011 6:57 PM

There’s no story here. All Samuel meant was that DRC is finishing up his rookie contract soon and he’ll need to get paid. Three top corners on a team is fine. Paying three top corners, however, is not going to happen, and Asante (probably rightly) thinks he’ll be the odd man out next year.

28. TheWizard says: Sep 21, 2011 7:02 PM

Hopefully your understanding of football is greater than your understanding of Belichick.

29. dafixisin says: Sep 21, 2011 7:07 PM

After the debacle in Buffalo, the Raiders could surely use Samuel’s services. And Al Davis is crazy like a… well crazy enough to surrender another first rounder for another former Pat, ’cause he believes his team is always within striking range of greatness.

Sheesh, do my Raiders miss Asomugha or what?

30. omegaichiban says: Sep 21, 2011 7:12 PM

Did anybody see him jump out of the way of turner on the last td? Trade or cut him.

31. justwinbaby29 says: Sep 21, 2011 7:13 PM

Raiders should really use him!

But not a first round pick .. maybe a second in 2013.

32. drew05 says: Sep 21, 2011 7:23 PM

He can’t tackle…Yeah, he got out of Turners’ way 5 or six times…

He’s overrated as a “coverman”…

His one strength is recognizing route combinations…

Why does he play defense? Why do they pay his so much to play defense?

Why do I have to post like 5 times to get something in here?

Anyway…I wouldn’t bat-an-eye if they cut him.

I would be jumping up an down if they got ANYTHING in a trade for him.

Go Eagles.

33. drew05 says: Sep 21, 2011 7:26 PM

In retrospect…

I don’t believe he “can’t tackle”…

I believ he “WON’T tackle”…

Wich is WAY worse.

34. tjacks7 says: Sep 21, 2011 7:27 PM

It’s probably because they brought in all that talent and are still mediocre at 1-1. Dream Team, LOL.

35. tjacks7 says: Sep 21, 2011 7:31 PM

7thlombardiontheway says:

—————————————–

What? I thought the Stairway to Seven happened last year? Oh that’s right, you guys lost the bowl. Lolz

36. conquerpeace4d says: Sep 21, 2011 7:42 PM

Uhhmmm….Asante Samuel DOES have a Super Bowl Ring. In fact he won it vs. the Eagles.

37. drmonkeyarmy says: Sep 21, 2011 7:54 PM

What in the world are people talking about, Samuel is overrated? The stats, not peoples opinions, but the objective statistics showed that Asante was the best CB in the league last season. Not Revis, not Namdi, or anybody else…Asante Samuel. And he only gave up 1 TD, so please people get your facts straight before yapping nonsense.

38. nahcouldntbethat says: Sep 21, 2011 7:55 PM

Samuel is unhappy because he’s thirty years old and all his leverage went out the window when Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie came in the door.

He probably wanted to sign an extension for Asomugha-Revis like money and get one more big payday in his career.

Instead he’s a possible cap casualty any year now.

39. jimmytwotimes says: Sep 21, 2011 7:56 PM

They are gonna move him to middle linebacker if his attitude don’t change ! You know Andy R moves are never wrong ! Once this move is official PFT will anoint Reid a genius !

40. drmonkeyarmy says: Sep 21, 2011 7:57 PM

It is just like the myth that Deion didn’t tackle. Fact, in his career Deion has 4X as many tackles as Namdi. People get caught up in perceptions and what certain members of the media keep saying instead of doing the research themselves. Come on people, stop listening to the talking heads on various networks and think for yourselves.

41. eaglesblow says: Sep 21, 2011 7:58 PM

Sorry Asante, the Cowboys prefer DB’s that aren’t afraid to tackle somebody.

42. eaglesblow says: Sep 21, 2011 8:01 PM

Eagles spent all that money and have faced two mediocre offenses yet are the 13th ranked D in the NFL.

43. alchopwn says: Sep 21, 2011 8:13 PM

I sure hope he is talking about the new CBA and not his status with the Eagles. Philly made him the highest paid corner in the league when he signed. And with close to another 25 mil coming in the next three years, He is still paid like a top 10 corner.

44. jbone2005 says: Sep 21, 2011 8:25 PM

Josh mothaf****n Halper!! We got new blood @ PFT! Hope you understand that we hate typos, and lame attempts at humor. I thought your article was good. Can’t hate on the new guy…yet. And yes, I know it’s Alper. Only hate you’ll hear from me today baby. Nib High Football Rules!!!!

45. jbone2005 says: Sep 21, 2011 8:29 PM

And don’t forget to NOT write unimportant articles. This one was borderline. Peace brotha.

46. goldrush36 says: Sep 21, 2011 8:30 PM

________________________________________

Sorry, but the niners aren’t falling for that fleecing. Some players are really viewed as non expendable. P. Willis is one of those rare players. Maybe if somebody dangled Andrew Luck AND a pick in front of Harbaugh. Luck would be worth just about any deal, but you do just about anything before trading a guy like Willis away

47. pattunya says: Sep 21, 2011 8:33 PM

He was a b!t$h when he was with the Pats. Sounds like he needs to fix his skirt again.

48. joetoronto says: Sep 21, 2011 8:41 PM

raiderlyfe510:

This idiot can’t even play man, he’s a zone CB with great hands, who won’t get his nose dirty and make a tackle.

Just like MeAngelo Hall.

Neither one are any good for the Raiders.

49. zeussuperman says: Sep 21, 2011 8:54 PM

“The way things are going this year,” Samuel said, “I guess I probably could.”

———————–

I read this more as Asante’s opinion about the secondary in the NFC East.

Dallas’ secondary is awful. The Giants, while normally good, is decimated with injury. The Redskins have Landry and Hall, who are hot/cold players.

Asante would be an upgrade for every team.

The relevant thing is that when DRC and Nnamdi joined the Eagles, Asante went to Reid and told him that he wanted to remain an Eagle. I’d put stock in that over a flippant answer to a reporter.

50. mcfluckey96 says: Sep 21, 2011 9:24 PM

over payed overrated route jumpin bum!

51. v2097 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:03 PM

I can understand where Asante is coming from….he’s been busting his butt for the Eagles for the last couple of years, and he’s feeling seriously un-appreciated (especially after the free agent signings, he thinks hes getting replaced)

Honestly all they need to do is pull him aside and have a heart to heart with him, let him know he’s still wanted and still extremely valuable, they just wanted to improve the team as a whole….that way the teams happy, hes happy, and the fans are happy

52. goldrush36 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:24 PM

drmonkeyarmy says: Sep 21, 2011 7:57 PM

____________________________________

Fact: Deion had 6 more seasons on that career total than Nnamdi. Fact #2 Deion got passed against far more often than Nnamdi. Deion didn’t tackle…. Nnamdi doesn’t have to because only fools usually throw his way. As Matt Ryan found out the hard way. Thank god ATL still knocked them off

53. bleedgreen11 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:26 PM

There are many problems. Number 1 is the ego. Number 2 is the workload. Asante is used to be being the best cornerback on the team and is used to having quarterbacks look the other way. Now, with Nnamdi and DRC, Asante could be considered the weak CB of the bunch and get targeted much more, therefore having to work more, keep up with more recievers, and do less of what he is amazing at, reading the quarterback and jumping routes.

I think he will be fine, and his words were taken way out of context.

54. murraysons says: Sep 21, 2011 10:35 PM

Just check out his Get Paid tat, tells you all you need to know

55. cowboys1988 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:57 PM

Come to the cowboys we need someone

56. thedefinitiveman says: Sep 22, 2011 1:00 AM

eaglesblow says:
    Sep 21, 2011 7:58 PM
    Sorry Asante, the Cowboys prefer DB’s that aren’t afraid to tackle somebody.

—————————————

Really now? I refer to you Exhibit A – Mike Jenkins… the very definition of a CB who is too afraid to even try and tackle… he parted like the red sea last year when Brandon Jacobs was running at him

57. dafranchize says: Sep 22, 2011 2:41 AM

Everyone knows the Rams are in desperate need of a starting CB. Bradley Fletcher is an excellent young CB but they have literally nothing else because their other starter broke his neck in week 1 and their starting nickel broke his ankle in the 1st week of training camp. We got old man Al Harris as our starting CB. And he’s 67 years old.

The only thing that would keep the trade from going through would be if the Eagles were wanting a 2nd round pick and I think they were asking for 2 of them before the season started. Forget that, if they lower the price and ask for a 3rd and maybe a 5th then I can see the deal being made.

58. CKL says: Sep 22, 2011 5:31 AM

drmonkeyarmy says: Sep 21, 2011 7:57 PM

________________________________________
    I’m a Pats fan, I watched every snap that no tackling mofo played in a Pats uniform. I don’t need to rely on “myths”. Asante makes “business decisions’ with the best of ‘em.

To that other dude who thinks BB regrets not having Asante, I would bet not. The miracle horrible pass velcro helmet catch in SB 42 was the result of HIM freelancing…AGAIN. Rodney will never throw him under the bus but we Pats fans know. BB doesn’t overspend what he thinks is a guy’s value and wouldn’t want a zone CB anymore anyway.

59. eaglesw00t says: Sep 22, 2011 8:33 AM

I love his big playmaking ability. I loathe, however, his physicality (lack thereof), his tight coverage (lack thereof), his team first attitude (lol)

I have never seen someone so unhappy with such an overinflated contract. I was happy as hell when we signed him, but he is almost a liability on the left side now. Any screen thrown to the left is almost guaranteed 5 yards. He refuses to stand within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage, and will only lay a hit on someone who isnt looking.

I hope we trade him this offseason, and keep DRC. DRC and Nnamdi still make a very formidable duo, with Hanson as our third, and hopefully Marsh can pick it up as our dime.

I love your interceptions Asante, but the rest of your game is lacking. Ive stood up for you for a few years now, and Im tired of doing so. Sorry man. Shut your mouth and play some ball.

60. chescobirdfan says: Sep 22, 2011 10:42 AM

I have a 4 year old son.. When he was 2 we found out that we could have no more kids.. Since then we have adopted 2 fine children. My son was not totally pleased with the arrangement because it has meant that he does not get all of the attention. BUT HE’S 4 !!!!

61. oldbyrd says: Sep 22, 2011 12:29 PM

Get rid of Casey Matress and get a real good MLB for Asante. I am shocked that I saw this in training camp and the coaches are first to the point of moving LB’S around. I am a die hard Eagles Fan, but, this linebacker situation is horrible.

62. drew05 says: Sep 22, 2011 9:46 PM

drmonkeyarmy…

Watch Asante play football, then get back to us.

You “stats” and “facts” are completely wrong.

Last season, my Iggles had nothing servicable at RCB…that position was destroyed every game…

There was no need to risk Asante “making a play”…

People just run at him. And it’s bad.

63. joesr2043 says: Sep 23, 2011 2:58 AM

Send him to Green Bay…. We need help in our secondary!