Brady wins AFC offensive player of the week award, again

Ermenegildo Zegna Copley Place Store Opening Hosted By Tom Brady Getty Images

To no surprise, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has been named the AFC’s offensive player of the week.

It’s the first time that the same player has won the award for the first two weeks of the season since the league began handing out weekly hardware in 1984.  It’s also the second time any player has won a weekly award for the first two weeks of a season, dating back to Panthers kicker John Kasay in 1996.

Brady followed his 517 passing yards in Week One against the Dolphins on Monday night with 423 passing yards in Week Two against the Chargers, giving him 940 passing yards in only six days.  He’s the first of 11 players who threw for 500 or more yards in a game to throw for 400 or more in the next game.

Brady has won the player of the week award 19 times.  He trails Colts quarterback Peyton Manning by one for the all-time lead.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
52 Responses to “Brady wins AFC offensive player of the week award, again”
  1. rc33 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:25 AM

A Beast.
    Period.

2. cakemixa says: Sep 21, 2011 10:29 AM

Call me when he wins a playoff game.

3. CKL says: Sep 21, 2011 10:32 AM

Cakemixa didn’t watch the NFL until 09 I guess.

4. wikidpissah says: Sep 21, 2011 10:39 AM

cakemixa says: Call me when he wins a playoff game.

_________________________________

He’s won 14 of them, and three Super Bowls.

5. pdmo says: Sep 21, 2011 10:42 AM

This guy is unreal! ..The team usually plays well up in Buffalo. This week should be no exception. TE Hernandez will not play this game, but i would be surprised if Brady does not throw for 300+ and 3 TD…Belichick may want to work on the running game though? We’ll see? ..It should be an entertaining game regardless. Buffalo is playing well on offense and im sure the stadium well be sold out.

6. 3octaveFart says: Sep 21, 2011 10:43 AM

CKL says: Sep 21, 2011 10:32 AM

“Cakemixa didn’t watch the NFL until 09 I guess.”

OK, let’s tweak that a little….

Call us when he wins a playoff game without cheating.

7. talkintrashallday says: Sep 21, 2011 10:47 AM

Offensive player of the decade

8. pmac9102 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:50 AM

I’m assuming cakemixa thinks Brady won those 3 SuperBowl rings on EBay???

9. pmac9102 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:54 AM

@3octave Brady is 2-3 since spygate. I’m no Brady fan either. just stating facts

10. tiffpats4eva says: Sep 21, 2011 10:55 AM

Best. QB. In. The. Game.

11. rc33 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:59 AM

“Call me when he wins a playoff game.”

Life…as cakemixa knows it…apparently began in Feb of 2008.
    In a related item, genuine idiots are hard to find.

And consider yourself called 14 times.

12. cdaws84 says: Sep 21, 2011 11:01 AM

3octaveFart says

“Call us when he wins a playoff game without cheating. ”

He won two the year they were ratted out…they also went 19 -1…but who cares about facts.

13. nesuperfan says: Sep 21, 2011 11:08 AM

cdaws84, actually 18-1.

14. rc33 says: Sep 21, 2011 11:08 AM

pmac9102 says:
    Sep 21, 2011 10:54 AM

—————————————————————–

Shouldn’t he really be 0-5?
    I mean, they’re not taping signals anymore so it would only make sense that…
    I would think they’d be 0-5.

Unless they were cheating in those two.

Any idea how stupid you people come across after 5 years?
    5 years?
    Ideally, 10 years from today, you’ll all still be sweating bullets over this.

15. afc22 says: Sep 21, 2011 11:08 AM

even as a Jets fan there’s no denying how great this guy is.

frustrating he’s still going strong…hopefully his window at this level is only 2 more years

16. CKL says: Sep 21, 2011 11:20 AM

pmac9102 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:54 AM

________________________________________
    Don’t bother, he’s not interested in facts, he just loves crying about cameragate all the time like a few of his team’s players like WR Hines Ward. It all probably stems from bitterness that the Brady led Pats have lost to his team like ONCE ever.

There are a few other team fans who have legitimate points and can debate intelligently about it. He’s not one of ‘em.

17. pmac9102 says: Sep 21, 2011 11:28 AM

@Rc33 I was stating a fact to someone who said he never won a playoff game without cheating. I’m not a Brady Hater. I’m not a Brady Lover either. Fact is he’s the best QB in the game.

18. radrntn says: Sep 21, 2011 11:31 AM

well Joe Montana, I think it is looking more and more that you are now #2

19. chrisnbeckett says: Sep 21, 2011 11:39 AM

Best Qb EVER!!!!

20. ossipeepats says: Sep 21, 2011 11:44 AM

@pacman9102 – what about the two playoff games they won at the end of the 2007 season? Those are after the so called cheating scandal.

21. ossipeepats says: Sep 21, 2011 11:45 AM

@myself… I should learn reading comprehension.

22. Jeremy T says: Sep 21, 2011 11:50 AM

@cakemixa
    Sarcasm on the internet? I really hope so…

23. unbreakable02215 says: Sep 21, 2011 11:53 AM

Whether you’re a Patriots or not, it’s cool that we’re seeing the best QB of all time in his prime.

24. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 21, 2011 11:57 AM

Consider Cakemixa’s rectum fully reemed. Buddy Valesto in the house.

25. rahavort says: Sep 21, 2011 11:59 AM

Wilfork should have gotten the defensive player of the week, not Cromartie. That’s blasphemy

26. kingdm8 says: Sep 21, 2011 12:01 PM

Best QB ever? He might be the best MAN ever. Rich? Check.
    Good looking? Check.
    Great athlete? Check.
    Smoking hot wife? Check, check, check.

27. joetoronto says: Sep 21, 2011 12:02 PM

I think the world of Tom Brady, but really, where is this “best of all time” stuff coming from?

Better than Joe Montana, really???

28. maddog111 says: Sep 21, 2011 12:12 PM

As a Steeler fan, I have to hate him, but good God, when you watch him, it’s like you’re watching a game of Madden on PS3. No way that throw can be completed. Guy is covered like a blanket. You wouldn’t even think he should throw it, and bang, right past the db’s arms and into the receiver’s hands. I HATE HIM. But I’ll appreciate watching him while I can. Won’t be the same when he’s gone.

29. jessethegreat says: Sep 21, 2011 12:15 PM

Brady has won the player of the week award 19 times. He trails Colts quarterback Peyton Manning by one for the all-time lead.

Consider this record smashed. You know, like Peyton’s chances to surpass Favre as the most statistical QB, and most consistent choke job QB of all time (playoffs).

30. grilledjesus says: Sep 21, 2011 12:21 PM

He is a horrible dancer though.

Gotta keep that ego in check.

31. pmac9102 says: Sep 21, 2011 12:25 PM

@ossipeepats once again, was proving a point to an earlier comment that BRADY HAS WON TWO PLAYOFF GAMES AFTER SPYGATE. The guy said he hasn’t won a playoff game he hasnt cheated in. I corrected that person by saying he is 2-3 in the playoffs since spygate. Please read what I wrote before you comment. And its PMAC, not pacman. Thanks.

32. rhymeswithpunt says: Sep 21, 2011 12:25 PM

Lest we forget that Brady made it to the AFC championship game with Rechee Caldwell#1 Donte Stallworth #2 and Wes Welker#3, and Laurence Maroney RB.. He’s a wizard ’nuff said

33. habsman says: Sep 21, 2011 12:29 PM

We are watching a truely great one. Is he better than Montana? Don’t know, but he sure is in the discussion.

And BTW, he doesn’t play his home game in a dome.

34. southpaw2k says: Sep 21, 2011 12:32 PM

Yawn….

Part of me kinda wants a moratorium put on Brady winning Offensive Player of the Week, considering how many times he’s won it already. At the pace he’s going, he will probably need to get more shelf space in his house in order to make room for the rest of the OPOTW awards he’s bound to win this season.

35. thewizardsrevenge says: Sep 21, 2011 12:35 PM

Better than Joe Montana, really???

Much better, frankly.

I think Joe was awesome, but he played in an era of rules where a dominant team could keep their key guys for whole careers.

Quarterbacking a dynasty in this century is a far greater achievement than the last.

36. unbreakable02215 says: Sep 21, 2011 12:40 PM

joetoronto says:Sep 21, 2011 12:02 PM

Better than Joe Montana, really???

Look at the numbers Joe. Right now they
    have the same # of league MVPs. Montana
    has 1 more ring, (Pats make a single play on D and Brady has 4 as well). 1 more Superbowl MVP.

Go to Pro-football-reference.com to look at the
    stats. Suprising to see numbers-wise at least
    the career Drew Bledsoe had.

37. unbreakable02215 says: Sep 21, 2011 12:44 PM

Wanna try something fun ? If you need 1 QB
    to mount a drive to win a game, who you take ?

Its tough. God.

Unitas, Marino, Elway, Montana, Brady. You
    could maybe add some more names I guess….

God, they were/are all special.

Makes you appreciate the game even more.

38. mornelithe says: Sep 21, 2011 12:46 PM

I like how he doesn’t let the obvious adoration of the masses go to his head. I wonder if that’s BB, or if Brady simply knows how to turn on the blinders to such things.

He sticks up for his team, isn’t afraid to admit when he plays poorly, and seems to be generally a decent fellow.

Whether he is the Best QB ever, or not (I don’t really think I’m qualified to make that call), I think he certainly deserves to be in the conversation. Regardless of questionable activity some of the coaching staff may have partaken in, you can be assured that Brady himself had absolutely no direct involvement in it. I’m not excusing…that stuff that none of us will ever truly know the extent of, but Brady himself certainly never held the camera.

39. rexismybff says: Sep 21, 2011 12:54 PM

The new Brett Favre – Brady can’t win a clutch game to save his life, so its all about the personal awards now.

40. pastabelly says: Sep 21, 2011 12:58 PM

Brady-Manning is a great rivalry. If Manning isn’t back by week 13, that game will be flexed out. Too bad.

41. pastabelly says: Sep 21, 2011 1:00 PM

……and Ochocinco is still amazed.

42. rmm1984 says: Sep 21, 2011 1:01 PM

Ugh I hate Brady.. Why is he so good.

43. steviethewiz says: Sep 21, 2011 1:07 PM

And he will still lose the first playoff game AGAIN then put his Uggs and Yankee hat on and slink off to LA…………..

44. ampats says: Sep 21, 2011 1:13 PM

rexismybff,

like all the clutch games the jets have won in the past 42years?

I’m sorry, I forgot the 28-21 divisional playoff win, the greatest victory in the history in your teams franchise as proclaimed by the NY media.Too bad the jets can’t close the deal when the opportunity presented itself,but then again its always great when Rex makes his annual predictions that have never come true.

See you in a couple of weeks with your ground n pound 28th NFL ranked ground game .

45. gisellichek says: Sep 21, 2011 1:33 PM

rexismybff says:
    Sep 21, 2011 12:54 PM

____________

Please define clutch game for me??? Tell me who you would want running your offence with the game on the line right now… who is better?
    He has 3 superbowl rings earned on the last drive of the game… All won by a field goal with no time left…

I will give you (since his knee got blown out) he has a terrible playoff record… but there is noone better… Start naming names on who is better in the NFL this season?

46. joetoronto says: Sep 21, 2011 1:34 PM

I wonder what you Pats fans would say if Joe Montana had played for the Patriots too.

No, honestly. :)

47. obamasballsack says: Sep 21, 2011 2:02 PM

NFL QB: I was sent by God.

Tom Brady: I didn’t send anybody.

48. CKL says: Sep 21, 2011 2:03 PM

rexismybff says: Sep 21, 2011 12:54 PM

________________________________________
    I am not excusing TB for how he’s played in their last two playoff losses (he was amazing in the SB for what he was dealing with), it has not been up to his standards and at times he was downright bad in those two games. That said, if you guys had him the past two years instead of Sanchez (and I’m not a Sanchez hater, I think it’s too early to say he won’t develop into a better player ans he’s shown promise)there is 0 doubt in my mind you’d have two SB trophies. Brady has already proven that if you give him a stud defense like the Jets have had the past two years, he’ll help you win rings. The way his team has been made up the past few years if he isn’t near perfect, they don’t win. When he had a great D he could be efficient and mistake free and win. He can’t do that right now with the way they’ve had to build their team to compensate for rebuilding their defense.It sucks, but I think their D is on the rise, it’s young and promising and their o has a few more dimensions that it lacked from 07-09. We’ll see.

49. soaringelvis says: Sep 21, 2011 2:28 PM

Well, try to enjoy it, folks. He is definitely on a level by himself right now with Payton sidelined. (Get well soon, Neckbolts…this league just is not the same without you.)

And, yes. We all know the truth about spygate…32 teams did it, 32 teams got letters sent to then by the league office, and only one team got penalized for it, even though the Jets were the worst offenders of this rule. (Check league complaints prior to 2007 for factual data.)

One other point…Did the Patriots set a record in the first two weeks by executing two 99 yard drives for touchdowns in two consecutive games?

50. unbreakable02215 says: Sep 21, 2011 2:34 PM

IMO the Superbowl loss to the Giants was one
    of Brady’s finest moments until the Pats D olayed
    Gomer down the field and cost them the W.

Fact is Brady was on a bad wheel that day and
    that Giants front 7 was beating the hell out of
    him. They were like a pack of 290 lbs Pitbulls.
    But yet he STILL got them down the field and in
    the endzone with what I thought at the time was
    the game. I said to myself, “this f#cker is gettin
    his head pounded in and he’s STILL gonna get
    this done.

Then the Pats D started waving red capes at
    the Giants O.

51. ftomasic1961 says: Sep 21, 2011 3:16 PM

Brady has also had all those clutch Kicks made by Adam Vinatieri.

If not for Vinatieri, the Patriots would have lost the Tuck Rule Game, and the Super Bowls against the Rams, Panthers, and Eagles.
    Vinatieri kicked the game-winning field goals against the Rams and Panthers, and kicked the go-ahead FG against the Eagles.

and these were not chip shot FG’s either…he dinked and dunked (his usual motif) into logn fg range….

52. TheWizard says: Sep 21, 2011 7:18 PM

until the Pats D olayed
    Gomer down the field and cost them the W

True, but those 14 points or whatever they scored is not enough to win the Big One.

Both units blew it, whereas other weeks one would pick the other up on a bad day.