Romo named NFC offensive player of the week

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo throws a pass against the San Francisco 49ers in San Francisco Reuters

Seven days after authoring his latest late-game collapse, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo wrote a storybook ending to a revival of the league’s most compelling rivalry of a generation ago.

And the league took notice.

For leading the Cowboys back from a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit and ultimately connecting with Jesse Holley on a 77-yard catch and run in overtime that set up the winning field goal, Romo has been named the NFC’s offensive player of the week.

It’s the fifth time Romo has won the award in his career, but only the first since November 29, 2007, which came against the Packers.

And while Romo deserves credit and praise for his willingness to play with a painful rib injury — and his ability to play well under those circumstances — we’re not quite ready to hit the reset button on Romo’s career.  He needs to perform well in the clutch against a quality team once or twice before we’ll believe that he had rid himself of the mental block (or whatever it was or is) that has prompted him to throw untimely interceptions, cough up untimely fumbles, and/or mishandles snaps on field goals in big games against big-time opponents.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Romo named NFC offensive player of the week”
  1. hendawg21 says: Sep 21, 2011 9:58 AM

Oh please…

2. cakemixa says: Sep 21, 2011 10:00 AM

Lmao.

3. cakemixa says: Sep 21, 2011 10:02 AM

On second thought, it is pretty offensive that the Cowboys needed overtime and a miracle play to defeat the lowly 49ers.

4. klee0384 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:03 AM

Romo beat the 49ers. Dallas shouldn’t have been behind in the first place. When Romo beats a good team in a game that actually matters, then we can start saying he’s over all the mental mistakes.

5. pixelito says: Sep 21, 2011 10:05 AM

Why is the media so desperate to try to portray this guy a star?

6. mwpugs says: Sep 21, 2011 10:14 AM

Before all the hating starts how many of you would go back to your DESK JOB minutes after fracturing a rib and puncturing a lung?

7. nj22 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:22 AM

Pixelito..WTF are you talking about. The media is desperate to portray him as a bad QB, when he is one of the better ones in the league! I think this ridiculous post proves my point.

8. NoRespect says: Sep 21, 2011 10:27 AM

Injuries are part of the game, he is not the only player to have sustained an injury and kept playing.

9. paulsmith107 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:28 AM

All this romo hate is great keep hating haters maybe it’s not that romo is over hyped maybe the team around him is this cowboy team would be 6-10 every season if not for mr romo I just wonder all these haters who their qb’s are as if they are any better. Maybe the hate comes from the fact that deep down all of you know your wives or girlfriends fantasize about mr romo while they are with you lol go cowboys and f these sorry a$$ed haters

10. steamrod says: Sep 21, 2011 10:34 AM

why wasn’t it CAM NEWTON? Yeah, he lost the game and had a passer rating of 72, but he’s the GREATEST EVER RIGHT?

11. tdoggnutts says: Sep 21, 2011 10:34 AM

Before we get a sh!t ton of Dallas Haters in here, Let me just say EAT IT. Your eagles lost, and so did your Giants, and this week it will be your Redskins that lose. If any team is over hipped it would be the eagles, so with saying that GO COWBOYS!!!! And Romo deserves it this week woot

12. db9n says: Sep 21, 2011 10:35 AM

“He needs to perform well in the clutch against a quality team once or twice before we’ll believe that he had rid himself of the mental block”

How about beating the 9-0 colts, 10-1 Packers (for first place in the NFC), the 13-0 Saints, the Eagles for the NFC East, the Eagles in the playoffs? His record may be 1-3 in the playoffs, but let’s put it to rest that he performs poorly in all big games. ALL quarterbacks have some good games and some bad games in big situations. He’s not Brady or Manning, but it’s odd how so many people want to get on their knees for a Matt Ryan or Josh Freeman, when neither has done much either.

And if none of those games mentioned above are considered “big games,” then how would the Jets game qualify as “big?” It seems many Romo-bashers have selective memory.

13. CKL says: Sep 21, 2011 10:37 AM

I’ll say this, I would fear the Jets pass offense a lot more if they swapped QBs with Dallas.

14. rbz1 says: Sep 21, 2011 10:48 AM

mwpugs……If my DESK JOB, that I love to do, paid me millions of dollars, I just blew a huge deal the previous week, my co-workers needed me back immediately, & my reputation may be at stake,.uh yeah I would go back to my desk and finish up what we were working on.

15. Cowboys-Forum says: Sep 21, 2011 10:50 AM

I am sure this makes Tonys ribs feel oh so much better………thats sarcasm if you didnt notice.

16. usher716 says: Sep 21, 2011 11:03 AM

quite a turnaround from being named NFC choker of the week last week

17. heyguru1969 says: Sep 21, 2011 11:18 AM

As he should be. Haters are proving themselves to be just that when they fail to recognize an outstanding effort just because of their bias for one team or against another. Oh well, can’t please some people.

18. kamdaryda says: Sep 21, 2011 11:26 AM

good for him so when my beloved Skins shut em down in front of the whole nation this will make this award much more laugable….

Hail Em Up!!!

19. eaglesblow says: Sep 21, 2011 11:30 AM

For pete’s sake the guy has only lost 22 games in his career as a starter and he’s beat some pretty quality teams already. Just admit it. Romo’s never going to be able to impress you no matter what he does.

20. eaglesblow says: Sep 21, 2011 11:40 AM

===============

Yeah but that’s just pushing a pencil. Now let’s have Terry Tate, office linebacker hit you every 60 seconds and see how long you last. Through your tears, remember that it wasn’t a fictional TV LB that was hitting Romo Sunday.

21. eaglesblow says: Sep 21, 2011 11:42 AM

===============

Nothing is more laughable than having to choose between John Beck and Wrex Grossman as your starting QB.

22. jaltreality says: Sep 21, 2011 11:48 AM

Man, you guys get an idea in your head and you won’t let it go. This whole “hit the reset button on Romo’s career” bit that you’ve been shoving down our throats is kinda silly.

23. itsmammoth says: Sep 21, 2011 11:49 AM

it only takes one of Romo’s lungs to beat the 49ers.

Way to go Romo!

24. 5xchamp says: Sep 21, 2011 12:01 PM

WOW , you mean to tell me that their are other teams
    In the nfc east ? I thought the the creamteam was the only one , they are the super bowl fave ! Oh yeah , they are in LAST PLACE IN THE DIVISION …… HAHAHAHA ……
    Funny , I never remember romo flipping off fans , getting caught with weed at the airport , giving some chick Herpies , or killing dogs, just an average guy who week in & week out puts respectable numbers … Mhhhhmmmm, kinda wish he was like Ron Mexico, what a respectable gem that one is, DREAM TEAM PPFFFFTTTTT……WHAT A JOKE !

25. showmeurtds says: Sep 21, 2011 12:03 PM

Go back to Dec 19, 2009:

Romo has a 104 passer rating and walks away with a W against the previously unbeaten New Orleans Saints.

The media tends to forget the moments like this. Instead, you’re all over the Saints’ nuts at that time. No one questioned Brees’ performance, with one INT and 2 FL.

Give Tony a break.

26. Deb says: Sep 21, 2011 12:25 PM

I should think so. Name an offensive player who turned in a gutsier performance or did more to secure a win for his team. The haters need to work on their objectivity.

And no, I’m not a Cowboys fan. Far from it.

27. scomibord says: Sep 21, 2011 12:26 PM

db9n says: Sep 21, 2011 10:35 AM

Go ahead and live in the past. Having a discussion with a delusional cowgirl fan is like arguing with a child, they cannot comprehend that the past doesn’t matter. You can say the cowgirls are the best team before taking a large breath and puffing out your cheeks. But facts will ultimately prove you wrong, either that or you will pass out from a lack of air

28. instantlunch24 says: Sep 21, 2011 12:45 PM

In other news, why is Roman Harper being named NFC DPOTW? So he had two sacks against the Bears, good for him. Woodson had three turnovers and pretty much kept Green Bay in the game. I think Wood is more deserving this week than Harper.

29. db9n says: Sep 21, 2011 12:58 PM

Not sure if that was supposed to be a joke, scomibord? Just trying to give a point of view. I almost stopped reading at “cowgirl.”Your anonymous insults on the Internet don’t really make a valid point. But I’m sorry for personally offending you.

But, hey, let’s not live in the past and bring up Romo’s failures either (Seattle playoff game, Eagles game to end the season in ’08). I guess, by your reasoning, we can only go by this season’s small sample size. I guess, again by your reasoning, that means Peyton Manning is the least durable QB in the league. I guess, by your reasoning, Tom Brady is a choker that can’t win a playoff game.

Who said the Cowboys are the best? Not me. I’m not even a Cowboys fan. Just a big NFL fan (Giants are my team).

30. cowboyfan45 says: Sep 21, 2011 1:04 PM

derserving of the award after a gutsy performance

31. fmwarner says: Sep 21, 2011 1:09 PM

What does this guy have to do to be thought of as a good quarterback?

32. eaglesblow says: Sep 21, 2011 4:50 PM

What does this guy have to do to be thought of as a good quarterback?

===========

Not only never lose again, but throw 4 TDs every game.