Chargers get 24 extra hours to sell 3,900 tickets

Santa Ana Winds Stoke Wildfires In Southern California Getty Images

Two days ago, the Chargers needed to sell 4,600 tickets in order to lift the blackout for Sunday’s game against the Chiefs.

Today, the number is at 3,900.

But the Chargers have nevertheless received a 24-hour extension of the 72-hour deadline for getting the tickets sold, giving them until 4:00 p.m. ET on Friday to get all non-premium tickets sold.

Usually, the NFL won’t agree to an extension absent a guarantee that, if the team falls short of the mark, someone will purchase the rest of the tickets, typically at 34 cents on the dollar.  If that’s what happened here, then the Chargers are using a contrived sense of urgency to get the blackout lifted with fans paying full price, and not the Chargers, the local TV stations that would televise the game, and/or team sponsors to foot the bill.

Meanwhile, Chiefs fans want to know what needs to be done to get the game blacked out in Kansas City.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
13 Responses to “Chargers get 24 extra hours to sell 3,900 tickets”
  1. sportsdrenched.com says: Sep 22, 2011 5:18 PM

So true. Unfortunatly I live more than 75 miles from Arrowhead so I don’t think a Chiefs blackout would affect me. I think that’s the rule anyway.

2. sohoirish says: Sep 22, 2011 5:20 PM

Maybe I’m an idiot, but I really don’t get the blackout rule. I can’t imagine the NFL thinks cities full of people think collectively and that people buy tickets so that there aren’t blackouts. I also can’t imagine that many people buy last minute tickets because they are big fans and will go to the game if they can’t watch it on tv. How does this rule do anything but publicly highlight that fan support is weak (and thereby possibly make it worse)? I’m guessing I’m totally missing the point, since the NFL is pretty business-savvy, but this just doesn’t make sense to me.

3. thephantomstranger says: Sep 22, 2011 5:26 PM

If the Chargers moved to LA, all of their home games would be televised in San Diego and they wouldn’t have to worry about blackouts anymore. It’s really a win-win scenario.

4. slawsc says: Sep 22, 2011 5:51 PM

I don’t know if we can support 3 teams here in Jacksonville. We already have to pick up the slack for Tampa fans. Now San Diego fans? Sure, give us 3 teams, we will make it happen!

5. pistol0928 says: Sep 22, 2011 6:08 PM

I heard Cassel is training in the K-Swiss Tubes this week. Come at me BRO!

6. Keyser Söze says: Sep 22, 2011 6:14 PM

Maybe someone can talk the city into another “ticket guarantee” contract.

7. 7pints says: Sep 22, 2011 7:13 PM

so pathetic! i love it!

8. evolmonkey says: Sep 22, 2011 7:22 PM

Jus so u know. The games are blacked out in LA too. I have directv Sunday ticket and I can’t see the game on that either.

9. evolmonkey says: Sep 22, 2011 7:34 PM

The games are blacked out in LA also… Even with Sunday ticket

10. flyeaglefly says: Sep 22, 2011 7:49 PM

Hmmm…Beach or Chargers…Surfing or Chargers…Swimsuit clad blondes or Chargers…hmmm…tough call…

11. dealer009 says: Sep 22, 2011 8:02 PM

Great article with nice insight.

12. go619chargers says: Sep 22, 2011 8:42 PM

I hate to say it but since I live in San Diego I have the right.. I rather spend money on my high rent, gas prices, food for my family etc. I absolutely LOVE the Chargers and actually attend 6 games a year at least but cuz I get a free ticket from a family friend every year. But I totally understand how it’s such a struggle to be a San Diegan and love your team but can’t afford a ticket.

13. rdr4lif says: Sep 23, 2011 3:08 AM

Don’t worry Chargeless, the Raiders game will sellout! Yeah and it will be at least 50% Raider fans too…..We love your stadium…

Norval….sheesh