Fewell gives non-answer on fake injuries

New York Giants Tuck is embraced by coach Fewell after sack of Jacksonville Jaguars Garrard during their NFL game in East Rutherford Reuters

Former Giants linebacker Bryan Kehl, who now plays for the Rams, has said that Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell coaches defensive players to fake injuries.

Fewell was asked about the allegation on Thursday, three days after a pair of Giants players pretending that they’d fallen and couldn’t get up, at a time when the Rams were effectively using the no-huddle offense.

Said Fewell, per Ralph Vachhiano of the New York Daily News:  “I can’t say I’ve ever done that and I can’t say that I haven’t done that.”

Um.

Uh.

What the hell does that mean?

“Perry, the Commissioner is on the phone.  He wants to know if you’d like to come see the inside of his new office at 345 Park Avenue.”

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Fewell gives non-answer on fake injuries”
  1. thephantomstranger says: Sep 22, 2011 4:18 PM

Nice picture. I’m feeling a little uncomfortable.

2. drobstad says: Sep 22, 2011 4:21 PM

Wow… Seems this website just can’t stop talking about this. Lets all pretend that this is the first time we have ever seen this happen. And who are you to say that Grant or Williams weren’t cramping. There are times during my basketball games where I’ll get a painful cramp in my side… I come out for 2 minutes, get a little water, take some deep breaths and I am ready to go back in.

Are you saying that doesn’t count as an injury? Because I know I can’t run another step without taking a break at that point. How about we move on and discuss real football news like whether or not Osi will be on the field this week. I’ve seen 8 articles about faking injuries and 0 about Osi.

3. byrds71 says: Sep 22, 2011 4:26 PM

If he does not deny it completely, then it is the truth. Simple as that. Punk move, and apparently he likes to make out with his players as well.

4. mataveli says: Sep 22, 2011 4:27 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted that the giants would fake injuries

5. gatorguar says: Sep 22, 2011 4:28 PM

” And who are you to say that Grant or Williams weren’t cramping.”

————————————————–

Really?? Were you watching the game? You have to be a complete dumb@$$ to have watched that poor display of theatrics and thought even for a second those guys were legitimately injured…

6. jpmelon says: Sep 22, 2011 4:30 PM

terrible way to dodge a question….

Here is how you answer that question, “I am constantly instructing my players to compete at the highest level while maintaining the integrity of this fine organization”.

The way he just answered the question was the same as this…..”maybe I did, maybe I didn’t, but if I did, I wouldn’t tell you.”

7. polishrod says: Sep 22, 2011 4:32 PM

Test

8. depotnator says: Sep 22, 2011 4:33 PM

It’s really hard to find a picture of Bryan Kehl on a football field. It will be even harder after he gets benched and then cut for mysterious reasons. What coaching staff wants a snitch around when he is only borderline talent.

9. illwillthemick says: Sep 22, 2011 4:36 PM

well he sure ant faking the love for tuck in that picture lmfao.. and they didnt even say “no romo”.. smh..

10. polishrod says: Sep 22, 2011 4:41 PM

gatorguar says:
    Sep 22, 2011 4:28 PM
    ” And who are you to say that Grant or Williams weren’t cramping.”

————————————————–

————

Of course he’s a dumb@$$, he just compared his rec-league basketball game to a professional football game.

The problem here is that he’s a Giants fan and he’s acting like Grant didn’t come back into the game 30 SECONDS later.

But hey, if this happened down at the YMCA, he may understand it

11. southbeachtalent says: Sep 22, 2011 4:43 PM

drobstad,

The guy went down like he was shot by a sniper….. C’MON MAN!

12. klunge says: Sep 22, 2011 4:45 PM

drobstad says:
    Sep 22, 2011 4:21 PM
    ———————————————-
    Perhaps I’m going out on a limb here, but I doubt you are as conditioned as these guys are, and I bet when you get a cramp you don’t drop to the ground clutching yourself like you’ve been shot like these bozos did. Yes, guys get cramped and have to leave the field, that is not the issue here. These 2 clowns simultaneously threw themselves to the ground at a convenient moment to halt a potential TD drive they were unable to stop. Take a breather from being a Giants homer for a couple seconds so you can recognize the facts of this particular situation.

13. kev86 says: Sep 22, 2011 4:48 PM

the glove doesnt fit.

the g-men are innocent whetehr you liek it or not.

blame the nfl for stupid rules, not the giants

14. greymares says: Sep 22, 2011 4:52 PM

dropstad, maybe that should tell you what people think of OSI.

15. drobstad says: Sep 22, 2011 5:08 PM

” And who are you to say that Grant or Williams weren’t cramping.”

————————————————–

___________________________________
    Rec league basketball, pro football… Point is… Where does the line of “Faking an injury” meet “Unable to perform your job on the field.” If you’re cramping up, you are physically unable to perform your job as an NFL safety. Should they have used a time out? yea probably… But do you honestly think a player can call a timeout and tell the coach he was cramping up? No… he cant. So you are left with two choices… Get the timeout you need so you are able to perform your job by showing you are physically unable to do so, or get burned for a touchdown… If I’m not mistaken… Rams didnt score a touchdown on that, Nobody is being fined and they won the football game. The funniest thing about all of this is the 8 articles on this site acting like this is the first time this has ever happened… But I guess you love crying over spilled milk…

16. kev86 says: Sep 22, 2011 5:12 PM

Coughlin/Jessup;

We’re being charged with a crime? Is that what this is? We’re being charged with a crime? This is funny. That’s what this is. This is… We’re gonna rip the eyes out of teh eagles head and piss into their dead skull! You f’ed with the wrong team!

17. j98me2 says: Sep 22, 2011 5:22 PM

At least Osi had the decency to fake his injury before the game started.

18. flyeaglefly says: Sep 22, 2011 5:47 PM

Okay, one more time…Rams are moving the ball down the field…play starts….Rams complete pass inside Giants 20…Grant runs down the field, FULL SPEED, covering Gibson on other side of field…play is whistled dead…Grant looks over at Giants sideline…Grant gets “the signal”….DOWN GOES GRANT…and, appropriately, on the RAMS side of the scrimmage line…holds his leg like he broke it…looks around to make sure refs see him…of course, play can’t resume…Grant is up running around full speed, one play after the time up…cramps don’t heal THAT quickly…funny how only the Giant players got cramps…guess they have better trainers…

19. philphan1 says: Sep 22, 2011 6:00 PM

I hope the NFL shows that big market, small market, Super Bowl host or not, they don’t play favorites.

If the NFL investigates, they’ll see that 1) 34 & 57 were fine after the play, 2) then other Giants were heard by numerous Rams players yelling to get down, and with that, 3) the snipers fired and they flopped like a crash dummy.

C’mon Commish it was plain to everyone!

20. buffiesguy says: Sep 22, 2011 11:56 PM

Ahhh, “jpmelon” – now we’re on the (not) right track: in addition to management instructing players to cheat, the management also lies about cheating.

How in the world do such hollow hearts beat in the breasts of self-proclaimed “fans?” Were you serious with your response, or did I miss the humor? Certainly did not seem funny to me!

21. dailyrev says: Sep 23, 2011 12:44 AM

More shocking news today: politicians in Washington tend to be arrogant, self-serving, and hypocritical.

22. mornelithe says: Sep 24, 2011 7:39 AM

The one real concern here, is that in-game retaliation begins to occur. How hard is it to throw 3 250+ lbs guys after one dude, they suspect of flopping? Oh darn, a 15 yard penalty, and we just crushed someone.

Just as in baseball and beaning players as ‘retaliation’, this could become a bigger problem altogether.