Anthony Collins issues statement regarding Jerome Simpson incident

Getty Images

Initial reports regarding the delivery of something other than a pizza (although the substance that was involved could result in the delivery of multiple pizzas) to the home of Bengals receiver Jerome Simpson implicated teammate Anthony Collins, who was present when the package arrived.

Coach Marvin Lewis later said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that Collins was not involved.  Collins has now issued a statement through lawyer W. Robert Lotz, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.  Here’s the full text of it.

“This past Tuesday morning I stopped by the house of my teammate, Jerome Simpson, on my way to the stadium.  While I was at his home, several law enforcement officers unexpectedly entered the house.  I had no idea what it was about and after identifying myself and speaking to the officers, they let me go on my way.

“Unfortunately I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  However, I do want to take this opportunity to let my fans, friends and family know that I had no part in the reported activities at Jerome’s home.  I have done nothing wrong and I have not been charged with doing anything wrong.  So far as I know, I am no longer a part of any investigation.

“In due time, I am confident that authorities will clear my name and announce I am not a person of interest and my name will be completely cleared from Tuesday’s incident.  In the meantime, my focus will continue to be on playing football and helping my teammates, coaches and the rest of the Cincinnati Bengals organization have a successful 2011 season.”

Simpson has said nothing in response to Tuesday’s incident.

32 responses to “Anthony Collins issues statement regarding Jerome Simpson incident

1. For what it’s worth, Simpson says he wasn’t involved either, and also likely will be cleared as not being person of interest.

2. I can buy that. I’m sure I have plenty of friends that have 8 pounds of weed at their house and I have no idea. I just think they have a pet skunk.

3. Maybe, just maybe, this guy is telling the truth. Just the other day, I stopped by my friend Jimmy “The Bong” Stoner’s house, to pick him up for a roadtrip to the Canadian border (I don’t know why he had so many suitcases for a weekend trip) and all of a sudden cops came out of the woodwork. I had no idea he was smoking or dealing weed and I don’t know anything about any pot. Wait…did I tell you the story of taking Jimmy to the Canadian border? Who are you again?

4. Ahhh, the Bengals.

I’m sure eventually it will come out that Andy Dalton killed a man 5 years ago, or something to that effect.

5. @crimhollingsworth

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. If not, I’d love to hear how the person who owns the house and lives there would not be a person of interest. Can you really claim ignorance in that situation?

For the record, I smoke regularly and think it should be legal. But not dumb enough to set up a distribution center out of my house.

6. I’m pretty sure that if I were in a friend’s home where he kept 8 pounds of chronic, I’d have a pretty good idea that he was that kind of guy.

That’s all I’m saying.

7. To the crown: How would you know if you stopped by a fellow employee’s house on the way to work that guy had weed? Its obvious they weren’t smoking it before work and I doubt he would’ve been buying some on the side before work and bringing it to the team facility in his ride. 8 pounds of weed seems like a lot of weed, but when you are making $600k buying 8 pounds is like buying an ounce or two compared to most of the population who makes significantly less than them.

8. “Being that I’ve always been a very large individual, I tend to gravitate towards the sugary snacks. Jerome’s house may have always had a strange smell to it, but I really didn’t give it a second thought cuz it also has the best brownies in town!”

9. He made it to the Big Time and then had a kilo of reefer mailed to him, all the while having a S@*#load in his house. This reeks of being a Cincy Bungle.

10. If ya know a guy well enough to stop by his house, you know him well enough to blow one……..uh, joint that is.

11. cjspiller12 says:
    Sep 23, 2011 2:22 PM
    @crownofthehelmet……….LMAO!! Funniest post of the day……..good job!!

Well, it WAS, until this one:

kingokra says:

12. jeremyb91 says:
    ——————————————————–

Yeah, that makes PERFECT sense now.

It wasn’t eight pounds; adjusted for income, it was an ounce.

Moron.

You were probably smokin’ when you wrote that.

13. jeremyb91 says:
    Sep 23, 2011 3:03 PM
    ——————————————
    Riiiiiiiight. Just like when you make $600k, going to McDonald’s and buyin 720 Big Macs is like buying 2 to most of the population. Put the weed down son.

14. “UPS here, we have a parcel for Mr. Jerome Simpson from Wunchu Liketaknow, of 1234 Main Street, The North Pole.”.

15. voiceofrealism- I didn’t say having 8 lbs of pot is fine, I just said having a large amount differs from us and the people who can buy 8 lbs of pot with one paycheck. Granted, the guy is an idiot because he’s obviously dealing “small time” when he’s making a hell of a lot of money as an NFL player who’s been in the league long enough to making bank for a single guy. He’s not a “big time” drug dealer by any means having 8 lbs of weed on him, but to do this was pure stupidity.

16. jeremyb91 says:
    Sep 23, 2011 6:17 PM

17. Sooooo, how long a suspension for drug dealing?

Attempted rape, we know, is 4 to 6 games. So maybe 8 pounds equals 8 games?

18. rozz513 says:
    Sep 23, 2011 6:17 PM

“The thing is the weed he was buying was from California. Not your run of the mill stuff. That quality goes for $3500-4000 per. Possibly as much as $5000. I don’t care what kind of money you make. He’s spending anywhere from $28,000-40,000 on weed. That’s, at the low end, more than one of his paychecks. Regardless, he’s an idiot. Especially in a contract year which is supposed to be his break out season.”

The minimum Simpson makes is $685,000 a year based on the fact he’s a 4th year player or $42,812 a paycheck. Its good we both agree he’s a moron. An NFL player shouldn’t be delivering weed to his house, especially during his contract year. Remember when Portland’s guard Damon Stoudemire got busted with weed because he had it in tin foil? There are several “genius” stories out there and this is adds to the list of really stupid ones.

19. mrbigass says:
    Sep 23, 2011 7:21 PM
    Sooooo, how long a suspension for drug dealing?

Attempted rape, we know, is 4 to 6 games. So maybe 8 pounds equals 8 games?

You really think dealing pot should be a worse penalty than attempted rape?