NFL gives L.A. viewers a break on exciting endings

San Diego Chargers v New England Patriots Getty Images

Sunday’s thrilling Raiders-Bills game was televised in Los Angeles on KCBS — right up until the most thrilling part, when viewers were shifted from the great Raiders-Bills ending to three minutes of commercials, followed by kickoff of the Chargers-Patriots game.

It wasn’t quite as bad as the Heidi Game, but for fans who wanted to see the ending of a great game, it was pretty bad. And now the NFL has seen the error of its ways.

The league told ESPNLosAngeles.com that the NFL has decided that in the future, it will allow KCBS viewers to see the ending of close games rather than forcing the affiliate to cut away to show the start of Chargers games. That’s a reversal of longstanding league policy that views Los Angeles as a “secondary market” for the Chargers and therefore requires the L.A. affiliate to show Chargers games in their entirety.

At the time that KCBS cut off Raiders-Bills, Oakland had a 35-31 lead. Viewers missed the Bills rallying to win 38-35. The next time the Raiders choke away a lead just as the Chargers are kicking off, their fans in Los Angeles can see it.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
37 Responses to “NFL gives L.A. viewers a break on exciting endings”
  1. kevinfromphilly says: Sep 23, 2011 10:19 AM

In three years, LA will be the primary market for Bills games, so this won’t be a problem. Of course, the games will be blacked out because they don’t sell out NFL games in LA, but that’s another issue entirely.

2. kolbe213 says: Sep 23, 2011 10:30 AM

Hooray L.A. What about the rest of us?

I live in Denver and didn’t get to see the end of the Bills/Raiders game because of the Donkeys. But it wasn’t the Denver game that had to be shown … it was three minutes of commercials of some talking head nonsense going on. I certainly could been shown the end of the Bills/Raiders game without missing the opening kick off of the Broncos. And, guess what? I turned the tv off disgusted and went outside to mow the yard. Thanks NFL for thinking that because I live near Denver, I can’t possibly more interested in the end of a great game than the kickoff to a Broncos game.

3. tdk24 says: Sep 23, 2011 10:33 AM

Define close.

4. boswivel says: Sep 23, 2011 10:36 AM

Another triumph for whomever selects the pictures for these things!

5. pabillsfan says: Sep 23, 2011 10:37 AM

@kevinfromphilly
    Sorry my fellow pennsylvanian, but Da Bills ain’t going no wheres. I’d bet they stay in Buffalo, because if they don’t, I honestly don’t know what I’d do.. I don’t think I could follow another team, I’ve been a fan since the 80′s and it would kill me to see them move. I don’t think I could root for someone all the way over on the west coast. I already don’t get to watch them enough.

6. jessieboom says: Sep 23, 2011 10:42 AM

Secondary market normally means it’s a hated team. Baltimore would be a secondary market to Skins games, but a Raven fan most likely hates the Skins & vice versa.

7. chargerdillon says: Sep 23, 2011 10:43 AM

No way buddy my Chargers will be in LA before the Bills are

8. bowsi says: Sep 23, 2011 10:44 AM

I used to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket in Canada mainly to watch my team play every week. I quit 4-5 years ago when the early game ran late and I missed most of the first half of my team’s game as they had them on the same channel. The satellite company said too bad also trying to find some way to let the NFL know was as equally annoying so I just quit the service. Fortunately I like football enough that watching any game the networks throws my way is ok and I save a few hundred bucks a year.

9. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Sep 23, 2011 10:46 AM

I agree with kolbe213. Will the NFL let viewers watch 1 o’clock games that go into overtime, or will they be forced to watch the coinflip-commercial break-kickoff-commercial break of the later games?

10. rdrs68 says: Sep 23, 2011 10:53 AM

why can’t the league delay the start times of afternoon games by a few minutes when there is a close game? The Raiders Bills shutoff pissed off a lot of fans just to satisfy another one of the NFLs ever increasing dumb rules.

11. boltsup says: Sep 23, 2011 10:53 AM

It was beautiful how the kicked them losers off TV for the real CA team…Raider fan werent ready for that agony..

12. berniemadoffsides says: Sep 23, 2011 10:55 AM

That picture’s INCREDIBLE… lol

13. fanblackout says: Sep 23, 2011 11:00 AM

Now if they can only see the further error of their ways and get rid of the retarded NFL blackout policy. It doesn’t force fans to go the games, but it does hurt your poorer fan base that can’t go to the games anyway. I never have understood why the NFL chooses to hurt the fan base in this way. It also hurts building a fan base long term by not allowing potential new viewers from oh I don’t know….ACTUALLY SEEING THEIR TEAMS ON TV! Geniuses……

14. raiderluv says: Sep 23, 2011 11:02 AM

The Chargers should never be televised anyway.

15. unbiasedfootballfan says: Sep 23, 2011 11:15 AM

what really bugs me is when the early games go late and when they finish they dont break away directly to the late game. When the raider-bills game ended they played 8 minutes of commercials before breaking into the patriots-chargers. The game clock went from 12 something to 6 something as we missed 1 1/2 drives.

16. jacunn2000 says: Sep 23, 2011 11:15 AM

Is anybody REALLY from LA???

17. chiefsandhawkeyes85 says: Sep 23, 2011 11:17 AM

I think the headline from yesterday that read “Bucs’ blackout streak stretches to 10″ says quite a bit. I think they would be a great candidate for L.A. Then people there would be able to watch all the late comebacks they seem to have.

18. giablommi says: Sep 23, 2011 11:18 AM

With the NFL now reviewing every TD and with many more kickoffs for touchbacks not taking any time off the clock, this will continue to be an issue…games are going to be much longer and there will be a lot of 3 and a half hour long games, as there already have been in the first two weeks.

If this is the way they want to roll then they should move the 4:15pm (eastern) start times back to 4:30pm (or begin the early games at 12:30?) so fans don’t get shafted by missing the end of good games or the beginning of the late games as is typically the case.

Of course, the rules committee could also just stop messing with a good thing, making draconian changes to the game and diluting the product each and every year, but that’s another story…

19. dannymac17 says: Sep 23, 2011 11:18 AM

why? the NFL did the Raiders fans a favor, had they kept the game on, they would be subject to a devastating loss to the [i]Buffalo Bills[/i]

They should thank Roger, cause had they DID see it, cholos everywhere would start offing themselves

but thats a bad thing, right?

20. r8derfan33 says: Sep 23, 2011 11:19 AM

@boltsup

Chargers a real team? They’ve only been good these past few years and they’re like the 40 year old virgin…can’t seem to win the big one….Charger fans just started coming out of the woods in 2005…Thats why you only see Rivers and Tomlinson jerseys…maybe a Seau here or there…Yeah, I’ll admit, the Raiders have been bad since 2002 up till last year…but you’ve been bad for 50 years prior to 2005…don’t worry, my boys are on their way up and I think that puts fear into your heart…

21. bdickey33 says: Sep 23, 2011 11:25 AM

bowsi says:
    Sep 23, 2011 10:44 AM

————————————————–

Every game has it’s own channel now.

22. alaricsrevenge says: Sep 23, 2011 11:29 AM

Awwww… snuggle time… That pic is priceless.

23. alaricsrevenge says: Sep 23, 2011 11:31 AM

If the Bills move, what will Toranto do?

24. fergenator says: Sep 23, 2011 11:31 AM

@Bowsi…finally someone who makes some sense. Why is it everyone always has to be bent out of shape if they don’t get their way, our country has become a bunch of whinning sissy’s who cry over spilt milk or every time something doesn’t go there way.

Enjoy what you get for free and grow up!

25. alaricsrevenge says: Sep 23, 2011 11:57 AM

Speaking of endings, is Norv getting a Happy one?

26. godfther81 says: Sep 23, 2011 12:09 PM

What I’ve never understood is how is Los Angeles a secondary market to a team that plays 150 miles away in San Diego.

27. radrntn says: Sep 23, 2011 12:11 PM

for the nfl, and its players, all it really is all about is the commercials. without them they are all broke……go bud, go chevrolet, go pepsi, go go daddy, go doritos, etc…..i mean i would have rather watched that then watch the raiders choke.

28. minhw0714 says: Sep 23, 2011 12:14 PM

Belichick – “Norv, I can’t quit you”

Turner – “You don’t have to, just keep holding me.”

Great pic!

29. robatopia says: Sep 23, 2011 12:44 PM

Once again, the NFL is reactionary.

30. boltschick says: Sep 23, 2011 1:06 PM

It was a slap in the face when the NFL snatched away the ending of that great game for 8 minutes of commercials. You’ve gotta be kidding me. I could understand if they cut away directly to the kick-off of another game, but to a ridiculously long commercial break?

I’m still fuming.

31. dspyank2k11 says: Sep 23, 2011 1:07 PM

godfther81 says:
    Sep 23, 2011 12:09 PM

_________________________________

Because L.A. is a secondary football market even when they have a team :)

32. j98me2 says: Sep 23, 2011 1:32 PM

I would rather watch a close ending then the start of any game. As someone pointed out the beginning is talking head commercial coin toss commercial kickoff commercial. It takes ten minutes to see any real football.

Also endings like that are what makes watching sports great. You never know what’s going to happen.

33. NoHomeTeam says: Sep 23, 2011 1:33 PM

Hallelujah! I hope this is the beginning of the end for the “secondary market” as it regards Los Angeles. We’ve had the Rams foisted on us after they left, and the Raiders as well. Now it’s the Chargers.

Give us a team of our own, or give us the best games on TV.

34. cliverush says: Sep 23, 2011 1:42 PM

As a Pats fan watching the Bills/ Raiders game, I knew, but was disappointed to see the network cut to the Pats / Chargers. I thought what if they provided a split screen so every fan could see a great ending. Share the wealth.

35. catquick says: Sep 23, 2011 1:56 PM

The Chargers were already in L.A. in 1960. L.A. is death valley for the NFL. Why would anyone want to move there? The Chargers left. The Rams left. The Raiders left. 3 strikes and your still not out in L.A.? 80% of Angelino’s are soccer fans anyway.

36. dogsweat1 says: Sep 23, 2011 1:58 PM

Los Angeles is Raiders country not Chargers….

37. GG Eden says: Sep 24, 2011 12:29 PM

“The next time the Raiders choke away a lead just as the Chargers are kicking off, their fans in Los Angeles can see it.”

——-