Peyton Manning said “woe is me,” but “I’ve gotten over that”

Peyton Manning AP

In his most extensive comments since he was sidelined by his second neck surgery of the year, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning acknowledged that he felt deep frustration when he first realized he would have to miss a game for the first time in his NFL career. But Manning said he’s over that now.

“I walked around for a while angry, in a bad mood. . . . ‘Woe is me,’” Manning told the Indianapolis Star. “I’ve gotten over that. It doesn’t do any good. I’m learning to deal with it and trying to have a good attitude. I’m not walking around looking for any pity party.”

What Manning is looking for right now is to go through his rehabilitation and be there to help Colts quarterback Kerry Collins.

“I want to be a resource. I want to help,” Manning said. “You figure out the best way you can help and not overload Kerry with information. You give ideas.”

Manning said he has no idea whether he’ll play this year or whether the Colts will end his season by putting him on injured reserve.

“I’ve told Bill [Polian, the Colts' vice chairman] he has to deal with the roster,” Manning said. “If the season goes like it did last year, who knows? My obligation is to get healthy and help the team. What I’m learning about my injury is there is some unknowns. Such a large part of it is out of my hands.”

Manning has no timetable to return and just wants to get his long-term health straightened out.

“I’m off the clock as far as that goes,” Manning said. “I’m just trying to follow the doctors’ orders and get healthy.”

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Peyton Manning said “woe is me,” but “I’ve gotten over that””
  1. everlong016 says: Sep 24, 2011 11:35 AM

I really hope I’m wrong, but I’ve got a feeling that Peyton will never play again.

2. cletusvandam says: Sep 24, 2011 11:40 AM

the interviewer should have asked him what it felt like to steal all that money from the colts

3. dldove77 says: Sep 24, 2011 11:44 AM

Now that he sees how bad they are and that they might draft his replacement (Luck), he’s now interested in helping them win. Nice guy.

4. lwbjag says: Sep 24, 2011 11:49 AM

I really hope he comes back better than B4 …

5. mikeyveli says: Sep 24, 2011 11:50 AM

guy needs to play again because when Tom brady wins his 4th SB and also his 4th MVP next year to go along with his 3rd MVP this year who’re we going to decide which QB is better? One with 4 rings and 4 mvps versus a guy with 1 ring and 4 mvps?

6. illogic87 says: Sep 24, 2011 11:51 AM

awwww shucks

7. MichaelEdits says: Sep 24, 2011 11:54 AM

Manning walked around for a while angry, in a bad mood, and his facial expression was the same as always.

Seriously, I’d really miss him if this was the end. I hope everlong is wrong even though I know he’s not.

8. capitaloffense says: Sep 24, 2011 11:59 AM

@everlong016

I have the same feeling man. This reminds me of when LT Chris Samuels felt that neck tingle. He had no visible signs of injury other than some invisible neck injury. One week he was gonna be ok, the next week he had to retire about 3-4 years too early.

9. nesuperfan says: Sep 24, 2011 12:04 PM

Not a Manning fan, but I admire that he wants to be out there to help Collins.

10. jacunn2000 says: Sep 24, 2011 12:04 PM

He needs to go ahead and retire . He can replace this moron coaching for the colts now with Luck at qb.

11. habsman says: Sep 24, 2011 12:04 PM

Good luck Manning.

As football fans, we’ve been spoiled the past decade. Brady and Manning in their prime. It will come to an end someday, but as a Pats fan I hope we can see them on the field together again.

12. thetechnocrat says: Sep 24, 2011 12:06 PM

Full quote:

“Woe is me, Ah just a got a non refundable 80 zillion dollar signing bonus and Ah may never play agayne.”

I’m sure he made “sadface” like every time he doesn’t get a call or a receiver drops a ball.

13. nysaysbringit says: Sep 24, 2011 12:11 PM

I think you may never see Payton play again. I too hope im wrong ,but I dont think so. They (the Colts) cant announce that right now for strategic reasons. But I dont think Manning is going to play anymore. Cant blame him!

14. lbijake says: Sep 24, 2011 12:13 PM

I hope these athletes realize how lucky they are, as the talent is God given. There is no reason to feel sorry for himself because he did not get to set a record, he has lived a great life and made over $100 million. As they say, get off the cross, we need the wood.

15. BanGODdell says: Sep 24, 2011 12:13 PM

To bad if it is Career ending for Peyton and the Colts, to bad it isn’t Brady and the Cheaters.

16. chazatlas says: Sep 24, 2011 12:14 PM

If I’m Manning I’m contemplating retirement. Seems like if he got hit wrong he might end up getting (God forbid) paralyzed.

17. eaglesnoles05 says: Sep 24, 2011 12:15 PM

Anything but retirement is a sizeable risk for Peyton. Sad for football.

18. tombradyallday says: Sep 24, 2011 12:15 PM

i respect peyton and what hes done but honestly he should have had the surgery right after last season that way he had more time to heal, rehab and all that. waiting till march wasnt a good idea

19. jnbnet says: Sep 24, 2011 12:16 PM

Patriots fan here. I hope Manning gets back to the field in good health. If its not this year, then hopefully the next. He has some good years lfet. It was sad to see Barry Sanders leave too soon. I hope we get to watch manning for a few more years. He drives me crazy when he beats us….but it is great when we beat them with Manning at the helm.

20. nuclearwarfare says: Sep 24, 2011 12:16 PM

@everlongo16

With that contract he signed, he better play again.

21. drgfri says: Sep 24, 2011 12:22 PM

No pitty party indeed……
    He JUST took over $20 million from the Colts and may never play a down.

22. wikidpissah says: Sep 24, 2011 12:24 PM

By the time he could play this season the Colts will be out of the running. Let him heal and re ready for next season.

23. kingviking414 says: Sep 24, 2011 12:33 PM

Woe is the Colts
    The way they play without Manning, maybe they’ll get “Luck”y.

24. cjspiller12 says: Sep 24, 2011 12:35 PM

@everlong016…………..I hope your wrong too……not a Colts fan, but the game would not be the same without Peyton……guy is a class act all the way. Brady is the best, Rodgers, Brees and Rivers are right there, but nobody commands and runs a team when he steps behind that center like Peyton Manning.

25. isonic1 says: Sep 24, 2011 12:39 PM

Its no secret they’ll be getting Luck. Peyton will be back next year while Luck sits and learns. Indy was crap in the late 90′s to get Peyton, now they are crap again to get the next Peyton. A small market like Indy needs star players.

26. jpmelon says: Sep 24, 2011 12:44 PM

@everlong016

I know that you said you “hope that you’re wrong” about Peyton never playing again…..but I do not think it’s a significant possibility…..They went in and did a successful surgery with the intention of making him healthy to play the game again. Every medical decision (and especially the decision to leave him off of the IR list) has been done with the idea that he can play possibly by the end of this year and certainly next season.

I will say this though…..if he comes back and he hurts it again…..I do believe his career will be over.

27. badtimeoutcaldwell says: Sep 24, 2011 12:55 PM

M.V.P.

28. backindasaddle says: Sep 24, 2011 1:00 PM

He made sure to get his new massive contract signed before he let on about how bad his neck was.

29. nicnacbootysmack says: Sep 24, 2011 1:01 PM

My brother in-law had this same surgery last year by the Mayo clinic. The surgeon told him absolutely no “high-impact” work for the rest of his life. The fact is that Peyton knew he was hurt, signed that huge contract to secure his future, and screwed the Colts out of that $$$. I used to hate Peyton, but now I can’t help but like him. What a smart business man.

30. mikeyveli says: Sep 24, 2011 1:02 PM

kingviking414 says:Sep 24, 2011 12:33 PM

Woe is the Colts
    The way they play without Manning, maybe they’ll get “Luck”y.

————–

The getting “Lucky” joke is now old as your great grandmother’s half eaten sandwich.

31. obiwanbonogi says: Sep 24, 2011 1:07 PM

Great contract dished out by the Colts. Who needs a physical? Why would you ever want a thorough physical examination before offering huge contract? Waste of time? Too busy? hahaha

32. blackqbwhiterb says: Sep 24, 2011 1:07 PM

He’s played his last NFL game. He knows he doesn’t need to Favre it up……just waiting til January to announce it….

33. blackqbwhiterb says: Sep 24, 2011 1:09 PM

He’s been almost as tough and courageous as Romo this week….

34. favreforever says: Sep 24, 2011 1:10 PM

Payments also went through a “Greedy Ho is me” phase, but quickly got over that.

35. polishkingski says: Sep 24, 2011 1:10 PM

not the same without ol` fivehead….

36. woodyg says: Sep 24, 2011 1:12 PM

Manning doesn’t know ……. The Colts don’t know ….. Even the doctors don’t know ……

But yet there are still fans posting here who have it all figured out ……. Hilarious ……..

37. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 24, 2011 1:16 PM

The Colts just look bad for giving him a fully guaranteed contract, KNOWING full well he’s had this issue for months — while they won’t spend money to keep guys, like in the past with Edge.

38. 3yrsnfl says: Sep 24, 2011 1:29 PM

39. petthefurrywall says: Sep 24, 2011 1:35 PM

I don’t understand why some fans get all worked up over contracts and team money. It’s not their money. Makes no sense at all….

40. dolphandan says: Sep 24, 2011 1:39 PM

Imagine the numbers this guy would have put up if he had had the inside information that Tom Brady acquired via CHEATING.

41. rydiesel says: Sep 24, 2011 1:41 PM

meet peyton manning.. leagues highest paid coach

42. gergie1957 says: Sep 24, 2011 1:47 PM

@ cletusvandam says:
    Sep 24, 2011 11:40 AM

It’s only stealing if you suck like 50% of the 1st round rookies who get a big pay day and don’t earn it on the field . Peyton is hurt, When playing Peyton left his heart on the field.

43. august1969 says: Sep 24, 2011 1:48 PM

Once the Indy fans realize the crime he committed with that contract they are going to chase him around the village with torches and pitchforks!

44. joerevs300 says: Sep 24, 2011 1:53 PM

The thing that keeps me saying WTF is HOW ON EARTH can a franchise that’s had the success the Colts have had over the past decade not have a single contingency plan at the backup QB position KNOWING Manning had already had one surgery on his neck? Hello…were they just ASSUMING that was going to go normal?

Having Curtis Painter and the other reject the cut as the 2 and 3 QB’s was just retarded. So my best wishes to Peyton and his recovery, but the Colts deserve every single one of their losses this year due to their own head-scratching roster management.

45. nysaysbringit says: Sep 24, 2011 1:57 PM

I beg to differ woodyg!…The doctors who did the surgery DO KNOW!…Once you have had this specific surgery done and remember this is all about nerves in the spinal cord. They do not regenerate. Any doctor worth his salt would STRONGLY advise against any activity that would involve even medium impact. Even being rear-ended at a stop sign could be devastating to Mr. Manning.
    And if the doctors know…then so do Manning and the Colts.

46. souldogdave says: Sep 24, 2011 1:58 PM

47. 3octaveFart says: Sep 24, 2011 2:03 PM

“You figure out the best way you can help and not overload Kerry with information”

“Hey Kerry, look, up in the sky…”
    / slap…!

48. philwauke says: Sep 24, 2011 2:07 PM

The nfl spends all of this money investigating concussions but do nothing to help players who’s heads are to big for their bodies therefore leading to these neck injuries. Matthew Stafford better watch out.

49. laeaglefan says: Sep 24, 2011 2:35 PM

Just think how many poor families that Peyton could feed with his $25 million he’s making this year for not playing.

50. nooittall says: Sep 24, 2011 2:55 PM

Doesn’t Polian have another kid he can hire and put him in at QB? He’s taken care of his other sons. Why not try his daughter at QB, she’s the biggest bruiser of the bunch and can take a hit better than any of her brothers.

51. typicaleaglesfan says: Sep 24, 2011 3:25 PM

How is anyone surprised by him needing neck surgery? He’s forced his poor neck to carry that giant melon head around plus the weight of a football helmet for years!!!!!!! Seriously top 5 of all time great player I hope makes it back. If not HOF career and fun to watch play qb

52. hairpie says: Sep 24, 2011 4:00 PM

The only thing thats gonna help the Colts is pumping fake crowd noise into the stadium like they used to in the “glory years.”

53. Henry says: Sep 24, 2011 4:31 PM

What Peyton really needs to teach Collins is how to throw the O-line under the bus after a loss. He clearly has not done that yet!

54. ampats says: Sep 24, 2011 4:34 PM

After reading all the comments I went back to rereadMDS’s post and I did not see Tom Brady’s name written anywhere in the post yet there are small minded people who are fixated about something Tom Brady had a no involvement with. And I am also glad to see we have so many Doctors that read and post on PFT that have been directly involved with Peyton Manning’s recovery

I as a Patriots fan want to see Peyton Manning back leading the Colts in 2012.Everything else is pure speculation.

55. tomlotter1948 says: Sep 24, 2011 4:40 PM

Peyton, with your neck injury situation, if you try to play again, you’r crazy, and just looking for more money.
    Let it rest….

56. CKL says: Sep 24, 2011 4:58 PM

ampats says: Sep 24, 2011 4:34 PM

________________________________________
    I look at all the nice comments (like yours, etc) on all the Manning posts by PATRIOT fans and shake my head at how no one calls out the jerks who post nothing but nasty stuff about Brady on every Pats (and some non-Pats) topic, especially when he got hurt. Somehow THEY”re the ones who are justified in calling the Pats & their fans out as cheaters, etc. It is to laugh. I hate PM passionately for many reasons but it’s disgusting to wish him or any other player injury or to hope/wish he never recovers.

57. mistrezzrachael says: Sep 24, 2011 5:15 PM

Really sounds to me like Peyton has written 2011 off..and doesn’t expect to play.

58. backindasaddle says: Sep 24, 2011 5:26 PM

souldogdave says:

“I remember many times, a hero having to leave the game for injury. Steve Young, Rich Gannon. Unless he is really lucky, Peyton is done. Would he risk further injury to his thrice-operated on neck? What’s his father, or wife, have to say?”
    ***********************************************************************

A “hero”…really….a “hero”.

None of these guys are heros. They play a game they love and get highly paid for it. They do it for themselves and any sacrifices they make are for their own behalf. Heros are the guys that fight wars on behalf of their country. They sacrifice everything on behalf of others, suffer through all kinds of misery, are not highly paid, and are largely anonymous.

59. backindasaddle says: Sep 24, 2011 5:36 PM

3yrsnfl says:

“I would say his next step is in broadcasting. That is much easier than coaching.”
    **********************************************************

He has a face for radio.

60. gs7101 says: Sep 25, 2011 8:12 AM

Manning has no reason to say, woe is me.” That big contract extension he received (without taking a physical) recently would knock anyone off their pitty pot. The Colts’ management will regret their costly decision for years to come!

61. bbk1000 says: Sep 25, 2011 8:26 AM

mikeyveli says:
    Sep 24, 2011 11:50 AM

*****************************************

If the Colts win 2 games or so this season without Manning than he should be named MVP this year without playing a game. Didn’t the Pats win 11 games the one season without Brady?

62. 1historian says: Sep 25, 2011 8:42 AM

Opinion seems to be that the colts didn’t do due diligence on Manning in re a physical before signing him to that absurd contract.

Could ANYONE imagine Bill “evil genius” Belichik making a mistake like that?

I’ve read that Manning’s brother Cooper has a problem fairly similar to the one Peyton has. If that is so Manning should retire – he owes us nothing, he owes the colts nothing, but he owes his FAMILY the rest of his life and I, though I am a Pats fan, shudder at the thought of him making his HOF speech sitting in a wheelchair.

OMT – I think that he has already made the decision to retire but he and the colts are keeping it quiet for various reasons, many of them financial – he is the face of the franchise.

63. gobucs02 says: Sep 25, 2011 10:32 AM

I think he’ll come back….eventually…maybe week 9 or 10.

64. 1historian says: Sep 25, 2011 4:42 PM

It hurts to say this but – congrats Bills. You did it you earned it.

Pats fan