Report: Vick likely to play this week

New York Giants v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

The moment that we heard Michael Vick’s non-throwing hand wasn’t broken, we figured this report was coming.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Michael Vick is “likely” to play Sunday according to two sources.

The swelling in Vick’s right hand needs to go down, but you just don’t see players miss games very often for deep bone bruises on non-throwing hands.

It’s worth noting that Vick has fumbled seven times in only 10 quarters of play this season.  This injury won’t help matters there.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Report: Vick likely to play this week”
  1. tedesco47 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:27 PM

This guy is a beast!
    I’d love to see brady or rivers behind Philly’s o-line, they would be out 6 weeks with if they took the hits vick takes… with the field painted yellow

2. eagles83 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:30 PM

Mr. Glass ladies and gentlemen.

3. gb4ever0811 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:32 PM

They’re trying to get this cat killed. He may be their $100 million man, but let’s be real. What’s better: to be on the sideline for one Sunday or to be on the sideline for 13 Sundays after this week? He’s gonna be toast by week 6 if they keep this up…

4. breezy413 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:34 PM

I am a die hard Eagles fan, but im sick of hearing about Vick already and his injuries. How about being in the news for a great game or a win streak!!! Vick needs to step it oup and theFront office dropped the ball in areas they shouldve focused more on!!

5. phillychzstk2012 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:34 PM

he’s gotta start wearing a glove on that hand

6. giablommi says: Sep 27, 2011 12:34 PM

Anything that pushes this cretin closer to suffering a career ending injury is fine by me.

7. howley1 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:36 PM

8. alaricsrevenge says: Sep 27, 2011 12:37 PM

In outher news: Our Defense still sucks.

Gonna be a long season Eagles Nation, but I’ll ride and die with them anyway.

9. eagleswin says: Sep 27, 2011 12:38 PM

tedesco47 says:
    Sep 27, 2011 12:27 PM
    This guy is a beast!
    ————————-

Vick’s playing style leads to these hits as much as anything else.

10. scudbot says: Sep 27, 2011 12:40 PM

tedesco47, actually their O line played fairly well Sunday. Vick gets hurt more often than he ought to because he doesn’t play smart. The secondary and linebackers, on the other hand, stunk it up. For instance Nnamdi got beat on 2 of 4 and didn’t want to get his dress dirty by actually tackling anyone.

11. alaricsrevenge says: Sep 27, 2011 12:41 PM

I thought I’d never say this, but what is Dahani Jones doing these days? Last I hears he’s a free agent and can’t be any worse then Clay Matthews’ lil sister we have out there.

12. ric4prez says: Sep 27, 2011 12:41 PM

id like to see brady or rivers play for our team. do you really think vick is better than brady? haha
    dolt

13. nineroutsider says: Sep 27, 2011 12:43 PM

The Niners have put hands on every QB they have faced this year so far. Vick is not going to like the Niners front 7…you Philly boys best believe that. The Niners aren’t going to get rolled like in years past.

Niners are going to shock the NFL world this Sunday!

Go 9ers!

14. bdawk20 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:45 PM

If Vick didn’t hold on to the ball so damn long he wouldn’t get hit as often.

15. sgtr0c says: Sep 27, 2011 12:48 PM

Why, when he was sitting on the bench, post locker room, was there no ice or heat covering his right hand? He was just sitting there looking wozzy, touching his head. I hope he does play, but the whole it’s his hand deal just doesn’t seem like it was his hand only. Maybe it was head from the first series, from the hit he took. If someone has a broken hand or bruised, and it is swelling, don’t they put ice or heat on in, to keep the swelling down? Just not for Vick, I guess, they must know more then I do.

16. brintfatre says: Sep 27, 2011 12:48 PM

2 weeks in a row he couldn’t finish the game because of “injuries” that turned out to not be as bad as he let on… I think maybe Vince Young’s disease is contagious!

17. hus10188 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:49 PM

Patrick Willis and Justin Smith will be the next players to take on the Vick Bounty Challenge.

18. vickadelphiaphreedom says: Sep 27, 2011 12:52 PM

“We should start a pool. In which quarter will Vick have to leave the game against the 49ers?”……….4th when Eagles are up by 24.

19. tkebean says: Sep 27, 2011 12:54 PM

Report: Vick likely to get hurt this week

20. sgtr0c says: Sep 27, 2011 12:54 PM

@ nineroutsider

Niners are going to shock the NFL world this Sunday!

As your team is getting better, here is a hint, You don’t shock anyone by beating a bottom third team in NFL rankings, try setting your sights a little higher, maybe a division leader or something……

21. bossplayer213 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:54 PM

49ers don’t really stand a chance if Vick plays. The Eagles aren’t the Bengals or Seahawks. You gotta play a real team this week.

22. scudbot says: Sep 27, 2011 12:56 PM

“Niners are going to shock the NFL world this Sunday!” Alex Smith throws for 420 yards and 5 touchdowns in flawless QB performance?

By the way, nobody aside from the worst division in football pays attention to the 49ers except when their team plays them. And even then not so much.

23. brooklynniner19 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:57 PM

Aahh im kinda happy he is playing , so if my 49ers beat them there won’t be any excuses. But I have a feeling he gonna a highlight reel of my 49ers. A.Brooks, P.Haralarson, and Justin Smith have to contain and HIT Vick all game esp the 4th qtr.

24. scudbot says: Sep 27, 2011 1:00 PM

“Brady or Rivers would get the ball out on time. They would recognize blitz earlier as well. ” Didn’t you hear Vick’s interview? He says the Giants never blitzed. After 8 seasons you wouldn’t think he’d need a Remedial Blitzing 101 refresher, but you’d be wrong.

25. kingmj4891 says: Sep 27, 2011 1:04 PM

Vick is more injury prone than Matt Stafford.

Vick = $100million QB that has seen his best day pass.

Stafford = $78million QB that is gonna be a top 5 QB for years to come.

26. kingmj4891 says: Sep 27, 2011 1:05 PM

Vince Young > Vick

Box of Rocks > Vince Young

27. jw731 says: Sep 27, 2011 1:08 PM

7 fumbles in 10 quarters, that about sums it up. I’m an eagles fan,and i never wanted this turd on my team, and you will never see me on an Eagles thread wearing a “that’s my dawg” t-shirt.Or calling them a dream team after 14 years of Reid’s a$$holeness… And i know the O-line is much to be desired, but the fact remains Vick holds onto the ball way too damn long, he doesn’t throw to a spot on a timing pattern with his receivers, he waits til they are open,sees them and then guns the ball. Just another typical Fat Andy “I’m smarter that anyone who ever coached” disaster waiting to happen. Remember last year, when they said he has progressed as a QB, and is now a classic pocket passer. Typical Eagles FO BS. You combine his inability to be nothing more than a more athletic pat white, and Reid’s idiotic game day decisions, and the end result is the same as it has been for Reid’s entire tenure….

28. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 1:09 PM

I wanted to comment on Brodie Croyle trying out for the Colts, but your moderators are blocking me again. Feel good about this harassment, Gregg?

29. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 1:11 PM

We know I’ve never done anything for your moderators to cap me at 4 words to three lines on random posts throughout the site. Nothing except complain about the way commenters were being treated.

30. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 1:14 PM

Maybe your daughter will become a sports fan one day. How will you feel if network employees muzzle her for no reason just because they can?

31. mrjackson206 says: Sep 27, 2011 1:26 PM

Go ahead & line him up Eagles. The Niners will sit his tail right back down just like Romo.

And for those of you who are going to yack “oh but Romo burned them when he came back in.” Guess what Niners D made improvements & picked off Cincy twice the next game.

I’d take at least 5 helmet to hand shots at that hand if I were the Niners D. Penalties or fines be d****d. Knock him out of the game early, Niners win.

32. tiktokdok says: Sep 27, 2011 1:27 PM

tedesco47 says:
    Sep 27, 2011 12:27 PM

This guy is a beast!

————————————————

You’re right about that tedesco47, anyone that engages in dog fighting is a BEAST!

33. east96st says: Sep 27, 2011 1:29 PM

Bob Ford from Philly.com “He came back out just in time to start the next series (and as he ran onto the field to replace Kafka, Vick slapped hands with the exiting replacement, using his broken hand).”

Hand hurt so much he had to leave the game, but not enough to use his other hand to give Kafka a high five. S-O-F-T.

34. huhfasi says: Sep 27, 2011 1:30 PM

As a Lions fan….Thank you Mike Vick. I no longer hear “If Stafford can stay healthy” “Stafford opened tried opening a can of whoop ass but sadly dislocated his shoulder”
    I hate the media and how they portray a player getting hurt once or twice and he’s a china doll. Vick is a tough guy, he’s a competitor, and he wants to win. He got paid and will do anything he can to prove his worth. You can’t say that for many players in the league (CJ.5k, DeAngelo Williams, Kevin Kolb, and dare I say Peyton Manning?) Unless the guy is incapable of moving, he’s going to be on the field Sunday. Plot on it.

35. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 1:33 PM

This has been going on for months. Eventually a competent, responsible NBC executive will intervene. If not, karma will.

36. P_Willy says: Sep 27, 2011 1:52 PM

scudbot says:
    Sep 27, 2011 12:56 PM

————————————-

The niner’s offense has been poor – 90% of which can be the result of a horrible O-Line. We had 5 prime time games last season, and we very very close to beating Atlanta, the Saints and even your Eagles. We were thoroghly out coached with Sing @ the helm, and an outdated offensive philosophy.

For the most part, we compete in every game – especially against high caliber opponents.

The Worst Division in football sent the Saint’s home early last year….

The Worst division in football made 4 superbowl appearances since 2000, (One more than your NFC East).

Im from the East Coast so i can speak to the fact that the media plays a big role in the bias of reporting teams from the East.

We lost a tough one to the cowboys, and the Cards were so close to the Skins so far in this early season. Close doesn’t cut it, but we compete. And a team like urs who seem to be facing troubles with your own O-Line, i’d expect a little more empathy.

Win/Lose or in ur case – TIE (with the bungles), don’t under estimate anyone when ur own record is sub-par.

37. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 1:54 PM

Hey, thumbs-down guys … I’m no happier posting on this than you are reading it. I just want to mind my business and post on football like everyone else. It’s Gregg’s sick game, not mine.

38. kd75 says: Sep 27, 2011 2:03 PM

Yea. A boxing glove.

————————————–
    phillychzstk2012 says:
    Sep 27, 2011 12:34 PM
    he’s gotta start wearing a glove on that hand

39. exeaglefan says: Sep 27, 2011 2:05 PM

jw731-
    You have said it all. Reid thinks if he says it the fans believe it. Time to go Reid!

40. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 27, 2011 2:08 PM

Vick is playing?

SO IS PATRICK WILLIS.

Vick better sit. We just tenderized him a bit so we can officially put him OUT FOR SEASON on Week 11. YOU BETTER SIT.

41. wtf__seriously says: Sep 27, 2011 2:20 PM

I’ve been having the same issue, Deb. I gave up on trying to comment. This long-time Jets fan feels it’s not worth the aggravation: my decent football-related comment would just be lost amongst a thread of foot, fat and procreation jokes. It’s like posting a James Patterson book review on the Sesame Street message board.
    Sometimes you have to toss in the towel and say forget it.

42. wtf__seriously says: Sep 27, 2011 2:22 PM

…and of course THIS comment ^ ^ doesn’t get deleted!!

43. zippy33 says: Sep 27, 2011 2:29 PM

It’s not the swelling in his hand that needs to go down. With that big ego working, he will get crushed and the ref’s will let it happen.

44. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 2:39 PM

@wtf_seriously …

They’re not just removing comments. They’re randomly setting so on some threads I can only post up to 5 words, 10 words or 3 lines. It’s punishment for complaining about Gregg’s moderators. Sick & unprofessional.

45. dukemarc says: Sep 27, 2011 2:50 PM

Vick likely to play this week
    ——————————-
    Eagles likely to lose this week

46. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 2:55 PM

@wtf_seriously … It’s also punishment for not doing as I was told. No, don’t throw in the towel to lowlifes like this. I can’t stop their stormtrooper tactics. But they can’t make me be a sweet docile lil girl, either. Their day will come.

47. scudbot says: Sep 27, 2011 2:55 PM

Hey P_Willy, false assumption. I bleed green and gold. NFC West sucks.

48. caseysarasota says: Sep 27, 2011 2:57 PM

Here is the deal:
    Casey Matthews sucks, Vick gets hurt cause he is trying to make something happen on a team that NOTHING IS HAPPENING TO except being run on like a treadmill. And Casey Matthews sucks…wait I already said that…but still the coaching staff needs to know…Casey Matthews sucks.

49. micklethepickle says: Sep 27, 2011 4:07 PM

@Deb – how about you quit spamming this thread with your whining and let other people talk about football? Like anyone else cares that you are so oppressed…

50. logic4sale says: Sep 27, 2011 4:21 PM

Hilarious! Lets start Vick, who is already hurt, against the team that broke Romo’s ribs and punctured his lung. Bold prediction : Vick KO’d in 2 quarters.

51. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 5:17 PM

@micklethepickle …

You know, baby, I’m going to post what I damn well please as long as I can.

52. Deb says: Sep 27, 2011 5:18 PM

I’m no different from you–except I actually know something about football. So there was no reason for these jackasses to target my posts in the first place. Next time maybe they’ll target yours and you’ll get it.

53. starderup says: Sep 27, 2011 7:14 PM

He is likely to complain in this game, too.

54. packerfanfordecades says: Sep 28, 2011 2:48 AM

Shucks ….

It wasn’t much fun to scan through 53 just about universally unhappy or negative comments under this Michael Vick article. My hope is that Eagles fans can have more fun at some future point in time.

55. jjbsew says: Sep 28, 2011 7:28 AM

Who gives a damn? Despite what ESPN might think, there are more players in the NFL than Michael Vick and Tony Romo. Can we please stop suffering through stories about them?

56. tominma says: Sep 28, 2011 7:51 AM

Ya know, 3 years ago I was all for banning Vick for life because his despicable dog fighting. But it seems to me he did his time, and is trying to make ammends so Ive changed my mind!

Ive seen some of the hits Vick has taken. Many of them come AFTER he’s released the ball! And Ive not seen penalty flags So I think he has a legitimate point!

But no, this Pats fan doesnt think he’s better than Brady nor do I think he’s worth they money he got. But only time will tell.