Saints present Steve Gleason Super Bowl ring

Steve Gleason. Drew Brees, Will Smith AP

One night after an emotional victory, the Saints presented former player Steve Gleason with a Super Bowl ring in a private ceremony Monday.

Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune writes that the Saints, ex-teammate Scott Fujita, and Gleason’s wife organized the event. 17 former teammates were there, including Drew Brees, Will Smith, and Deuce McAllister. Saints coach Sean Payton made the presentation.

Gleason, who authored the most memorable regular season moment in Saints history, was diagnosed with ALS. He retired from football in 2008, and spoke to the Saints Saturday night and attended Sunday’s win, which came exactly five years after Gleason’s famous blocked punt.

Gleason reflected on his career while getting the ring.

“At the beginning of the game. I never knew if we were going to win or lose, but I was always for certain that I was going to walk out of there with my head held high because I got ready, I had the right people around me, and I was going to give it everything I had,” said Gleason. “It’s the same now. We’re going to give it everything we’ve got. I have a calming sense of certainty that we’re going to win this thing.”

Gleason has been chronicling his life and battle with the disease on his site Team Gleason.

“I’m fortunate because I am loved by my wife and family; boys like Will Smith and Drew Brees are powerful support, and the 75,000 in the crowd are on my team,” he wrote Tuesday morning.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Saints present Steve Gleason Super Bowl ring”
  1. nyctexan says: Sep 27, 2011 11:14 AM

pretty dang cool

2. n0hopeleft says: Sep 27, 2011 11:20 AM

Wish him luck.

3. winkeroni says: Sep 27, 2011 11:31 AM

Classy move Saints. I am in no way a Saints fan but it’s difficult not to like them, with all that they have done for the community of New Orleans.

4. dstep24 says: Sep 27, 2011 11:43 AM

As a Coug alum, I knew Steve during his years at WSU. A lot of people don’t realize he had no scholarship to play football. He walked on and was starting by the end of his first year there. And what a great guy. Didn’t treat you any different if you weren’t an athlete/player. Everybody’s friend. Great guy. Well deserved.

5. tv426 says: Sep 27, 2011 11:53 AM

This dude was a Special Teams machine. He changed the outcome of many games with his play on STs.

I wish his luck and I sincerely hope that he (and others) can overcome this horrible disease.

6. rpiotr01 says: Sep 27, 2011 11:54 AM

That’s an awesome move by the Saints.

Great youtube of the block, BTW. Even has a shot of the Mora sour-puss for good measure.

7. kingmj4891 says: Sep 27, 2011 11:56 AM

ALS sucks so cool for Steve.

But is it just me or didn’t the Saints give like everyone in Louisiana a damn Super Bowl Ring.

8. dempsey63 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:14 PM

It indeed was a classy move on the part of the Saints!

Let’s hope that Bill Harris (the legendary Unknown Whodat) also gets consideration for a ring.

9. 504in860 says: Sep 27, 2011 12:39 PM

kingmj4891 says:
    Sep 27, 2011 11:56 AM
    ALS sucks so cool for Steve.

————————————————-

It’s just you. One fan won a ring in a raffle.

10. inrats says: Sep 27, 2011 12:55 PM

>>dempsey63 says:
    >>Sep 27, 2011 12:14 PM
    >>It indeed was a classy move on the part of
    >>the Saints!

>>Let’s hope that Bill Harris (the legendary >>Unknown Whodat) also gets consideration
    >>for a ring.

Right, because he gave as much to the team and city as Gleason did. HMOF :shakehd: :tard:

11. favreforever says: Sep 27, 2011 1:17 PM

Lou Gehrig has a disease named after him, but who remembers Wally Pipp?

12. rayguyreturns says: Sep 27, 2011 1:51 PM

It really puts football in perspective when you read things like this. Some things are just way more important.

Best to him and his family.

13. vikesfansteve says: Sep 27, 2011 1:53 PM

They also owe the officials from the NFC Championship rings.

For the 4th & 1 where they fumbld & were stopped short & confirmed on multiple angles & were still given the first down play alone.

14. 504in860 says: Sep 27, 2011 2:07 PM

Vikings are 0-3…and counting.

15. bayouboyg says: Sep 27, 2011 2:23 PM

Man, ya’ll vik-queens are still on the NFC championship game, COME ON MAN! Ya’ll got big problems this year to worry about.

16. mdd913 says: Sep 27, 2011 2:30 PM

They also owe the officials from the NFC Championship rings.

——————————————————

You know, this crap from Vikings fans is pathetic enough, but to bring it up in this context?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

17. blackngoldsuperbowl says: Sep 27, 2011 2:32 PM

vikesfansteve says:
    Sep 27, 2011 1:53 PM
    They also owe the officials from
    the NFC Championship rings

Vikings are 6-13 since that NFCC Game, what happen there?

18. Mikey says: Sep 27, 2011 2:37 PM

Really, vikingsfansteve? Really? You’re gonna pull that sour-grapes BS for an inspirational story like this?

I got an idea, how about not turning the ball over SIX times. How about your kicker actually make his game-winning kick at home in the NFC Championship game back in ’98.

I suppose the Denver Broncos should give a SB ring to Gary Anderson too, right? Because we all know the Vikings would have won that SB, had he made the kick and youa all actually got there, but he didn’t.

19. materialman80 says: Sep 27, 2011 2:40 PM

Great thing to do. Makes me proud to be a Saints fan.

20. boisestatewhodat says: Sep 27, 2011 3:36 PM

The Saints are one of the classiest organizations in the league…a stark contrast from what has become the laughing stock of the leage Viqueen Steve and you represent the fan base there perfectly. Enjoy another dismal season there cry baby! Can’t wait til December 18th when we pound your pathetic excuse for a team once more…tell McNabb to ask Favre how bad it hurts.

21. The Prophet says: Sep 27, 2011 3:43 PM

Good thing he was with the Saints and not the Packers or this wouldn’t have happened.

22. akasaintsbaby says: Sep 27, 2011 8:06 PM

Wow, even in this story viking crybabies are here. That’s why Minnesota is called the land of 10,000 lakes, plenty of viking tears to fill them up. Maybe one day your pathetic excuse for a team might win a regular season game. Keep it classy Minnesota…

Best of luck to Gleason and his family. He is a great person and will always be part of the Saints family.