Jason Jones fined $15,000, says Kyle Orton was acting

Baltimore Ravens v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Titans defensive end Jason Jones has been fined $15,000 for a hit on Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton on Sunday, and he’s not happy — not with the league office for fining him, and not with Orton.

“I just thought the fine was a little hefty,” Jones said, per Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I think Orton was acting a little bit, but the refs are going to protect the players.”

Jones was penalized for the hit, on which his facemask hit Orton’s helmet just after Orton threw a pass.

Titans tight end Daniel Graham was fined $5,000 for throwing the ball in the stands after scoring the game-winning touchdown. Graham was unapologetic, although he also said he doesn’t want another fine.

“It is worth it,” Graham said, “because I know a fan got a good souvenir. I wouldn’t do it again, because second offense is worth more than that.”

And the NFL certainly wouldn’t want two fans to get souvenirs.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
18 Responses to “Jason Jones fined $15,000, says Kyle Orton was acting”
  1. pfii63 says: Sep 28, 2011 5:55 PM

So if Roger Goodell was running Major League Baseball, would batters be getting fined for hitting foul balls? What the heck is wrong with the players giving souvenirs to the fans?

C’mon, Man!

2. favreforever says: Sep 28, 2011 5:58 PM

Surprised Graham didn’t claim the ball bounced off his hands into the stands. He would have a lot of old game tape to back it up.

3. favreforever says: Sep 28, 2011 6:00 PM

Orton is often accused of acting because of his movie star looks and natural charisma.

4. Stiller43 says: Sep 28, 2011 6:25 PM

The ole ball in the stands is a case of fan safety actually. If a player throws a ball up for grabs, people will be all over each other trying to claim it.

5. jackfnburton says: Sep 28, 2011 6:28 PM

Kyle Orton acting? His jersey can run faster than he can but you say he’s an actor, too? Whatever.

6. polishrod says: Sep 28, 2011 6:32 PM

Don’t worry Danny-boy, you probably won’t be in the end zone too many more times in your career.

7. mrbigass says: Sep 28, 2011 7:04 PM

I am so sick of these fines I could throw up. 5k for a ball in the stands?

I bet Lombardi is spinning in his grave…….

8. granadafan says: Sep 28, 2011 7:35 PM

Fined $15,000 for throwing the ball in the stands??? Wow, that’s anal.

9. kyleortonsarm says: Sep 28, 2011 7:40 PM

Kyle must have been acting. There just is no way a mere mortal could harm His Ortonness

10. cgarsmoker says: Sep 28, 2011 9:10 PM

So every time a player gives a ball to a fan in the stands he gets fined? Really?

11. 2chronix7 says: Sep 28, 2011 10:42 PM

I wonder how much those billboard buying Denver fans would pay him if he knocked Orton out the year. Probably more than $15k. Players and coaches can’t have bounties, but why not fans? C’mon Broncos fans, step up!

12. seattlesuperchronic says: Sep 28, 2011 11:38 PM

favreforever

That is grade A funny!

13. 92and94and51and56 says: Sep 29, 2011 12:16 AM

mrbigass says:
    Sep 28, 2011 7:04 PM
    I am so sick of these fines I could throw up. 5k for a ball in the stands?

I bet Lombardi is spinning in his grave…….

————————————————–

And Goodell just fined him $10,000 for doing it.

14. snikerbotloot says: Sep 29, 2011 2:54 AM

Expensive ball

15. jtm12180 says: Sep 29, 2011 6:39 AM

Funny, as a Steelers fan, I see Ward & Wallace always tossing balls to fans with their jersey on….I’m surprised Goodell doesn’t take their game checks for it…

and the above comment about him fining Lombardi $10,000 for spinning in his grave, freakin hilarious!

16. broncobeta says: Sep 29, 2011 7:59 AM

“And the NFL certainly wouldn’t want two fans to get souvenirs.”

- Perfect ending.

17. godofwine330 says: Sep 29, 2011 8:39 AM

I never understood fining a guy for throwing a football into the stands. That is like fining David Ortiz for a homerun ball. Isn’t the game supposed to be fan friendly? And what is more fan friendly than a souvenier ball that was used in an actual NFL game? And a $5000 fine?

Did anybody see the “excessive celebration” penalty that the Browns got after scoring the game winning TD which resulted in a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff that gave the dolphins a chance to score a winning field goal? I am starting to hate the NFL and how they do business.

18. CKL says: Sep 29, 2011 10:13 AM

jtm12180 says: Sep 29, 2011 6:39 AM

______________________________________
    AFAIK, HANDING it to a fan is fine, firing it into the stands is fineABLE.