Hue Jackson shares the secrets of getting the most out of Ochocinco

San Diego Chargers v New England Patriots Getty Images

When the Patriots travel to Oakland this weekend, there will be a subplot far more recent than the Tuck Rule.

Pats receiver Chad Ochocinco will be reunited with Raiders coach Hue Jackson, who was at one point Chad’s position coach.  Their history in Cincinnati includes Chad famously calling Jackson’s name after being lit up by former Browns safety Brian Russell and notoriously taking a swing at Jackson during halftime of a January 2006 playoff loss to the Steelers.

Chad Johnson’s my son,” Jackson said Wednesday during a conference call with New England media, via Tom Curran of CSNNE.com.  “I know you guys probably have a hard time with him.  He’s kind of colorful.  But he is a tremendous young man.  I really adore him but I won’t on Sunday.”

Jackson’s ties to the receiver formerly named Johnson run deep.  “I helped raise that young man in Cincinnati,” Jackson said, offering more candor than coaches concerned with possible tampering typically would.  “He played for me, he did wonders for me and he is a tremendous competitor and a doggone good football player.”

The contrast between Jackson’s approach to Chad and his current team’s apparent attempt to stifle his individuality became clear.  “I let him have his own personality because that’s Chad,” Jackson said.  “You have to allow him to be him to get the most out of him. That’s what we were able to do and we forged a bond that’s been the same since my time in Cincinnati.”

Though it’s possible that the stage in New England is too big for Ochocinco, it could be that Chad’s continuous effort to repress his nature in order to fit in with the Patriots has become a distraction.  Instead of worrying about learning the offense and running the right routes and catching the ball naturally and instinctively, Chad could be carrying around unnecessary mental baggage as he tries to squeeze the square peg of his personality into the round hole of The Patriot Way.  So while coach Bill Belichick may have successfully changed Chad in order to minimize the distractions he possibly would create for the team, the internal conflict that comes from Chad trying to be someone other than who he is could be the real cause for Chad not being on the field the player that he needs to be.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Hue Jackson shares the secrets of getting the most out of Ochocinco”
  1. PFTiswhatitis says: Sep 29, 2011 9:19 AM

I don’t think Belichick is trying to change Chad at all. He always appreciated Chads “personality” and I don’t think he would try to stifle that. I think Chad is putting a lot of pressure on himself though. Hopefully he will snap out of it and gain the confidence he needs to perform again. He could be great for the Pats but he needs to snap out of his funk SOON or the experiment will be over.

2. contract says: Sep 29, 2011 9:21 AM

The Patriots don’t need Ochocinco to perform … they just need him to not be a distraction. Next year he can go be himself and play for the Raiders.

3. mn1bjb says: Sep 29, 2011 9:22 AM

In a nutshell, Chad is out of his element because he is not in a dysfunctional environment and actually held accountable by the Patriots.

4. sj39 says: Sep 29, 2011 9:23 AM

“You have to allow him to be him to get the most out of him.” – You have to allow him to be a self-centered A-hole?

5. tatatoothy says: Sep 29, 2011 9:24 AM

For as much as people dog Ochocinco, I’ve always liked him. And I still think he can play.

6. myspaceyourface says: Sep 29, 2011 9:24 AM

This makes sense, but it also make sense that his skills have deteriorated.

7. pappert says: Sep 29, 2011 9:25 AM

Excuses? Ocho is burnt out

8. kiltherl says: Sep 29, 2011 9:26 AM

I guess if chad needs it then it would have to be necessary “mental baggage”

9. thewizardsrevenge says: Sep 29, 2011 9:27 AM

I’ve got a secret of my own.

Dump him.

10. joetoronto says: Sep 29, 2011 9:29 AM

This can’t be, that would mean that the great BB would be doing something wrong.

11. joelvis72 says: Sep 29, 2011 9:31 AM

“Hue!”

12. xinellum says: Sep 29, 2011 9:33 AM

Chad is not that deep or that intellectually savvy to even understand the concept of repressed feelings. Chad is dropping the ball because that is what Chad does. In Cincinatti they just kept throwing him the ball and eventually he got his 100 catches and 1000 yards. This article sounds like someone dug up an old psychology thesis and tried to cram the round hole of the theory into the square peg that is Chad’s head.

13. superspanky36 says: Sep 29, 2011 9:33 AM

If it wasn’t for the media and the haters, he would probably be just fine. Media blows up everything he does and makes it sound insulting, and the haters are mostly the “old school” fans that think there should be no celebrations or talking in the game of football. The man’s job is to catch a ball, if he wants to take his fans out to eat and celebrate a little, who cares? Chad was great when he could be himself, leading his conference 4 years straight in receiving…on the BENGALS! That is an accomplishment. When he had to stop being himself the numbers fell…when you let Chad be Chad, he produces like Chad. When you water down Chad, he produces like watered down Chad.

14. crazysandude says: Sep 29, 2011 9:36 AM

Oh boy, here go the Raiders again. Next stop for Ochocinco is Oakland.

15. kleppnasty says: Sep 29, 2011 9:40 AM

It also could just be that he’s been average for the last few years and is old.

16. damko12 says: Sep 29, 2011 9:42 AM

Pats 34 – 17 raiders

17. instantlunch24 says: Sep 29, 2011 9:42 AM

This actually makes a lot of sense.

18. twindaddy says: Sep 29, 2011 9:48 AM

Chad has sucked for the last three years. He’s been dropping passes forever. This is not news. He’s done. He needs to retire. Now.

19. nomesayin says: Sep 29, 2011 9:51 AM

That’s exactly how I see it too. He’s not performing like himself because he’s not acting like himself. If he DID start acting like himself, it wouldn’t fly with messiah Billichick. The messiah would have to get rid of him because Ocho would become too much of a distraction, & that organization does not have the capability to overcome a distraction that big.

For all the “might” the Patriots organization appears to possess, the fear exists that Ocho being Ocho could derail the whole thing.

But this (Patriot) way, Chad will end up having to be more of a spectator in order to try & achieve his ultimate professional goal.

He would have fit better in Oakland. There, he could’ve won a Super Bowl AND been himself. They have always embraced that sort of thing in Raiderland & STILL won. Now that Oakland is on their way back, Chad could have more of a roll there, just like the old days with The Stork, The Toooz, Otis Sistrunk, et al.

The Pats can’t win with those personalities. Oakland can’t win without them.

20. grilledjesus says: Sep 29, 2011 9:51 AM

” the internal conflict that comes from Chad trying to be someone other than who he is could be the real cause for Chad not being on the field the player that he needs to be.”
    ———————————————–

He keeps playing like he is and he won’t have to worry about being on the field.

21. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Sep 29, 2011 9:52 AM

Build a time machine back to 2007?

22. itsmammoth says: Sep 29, 2011 9:53 AM

or he isn’t that good?

23. cardiovascularendurance says: Sep 29, 2011 9:54 AM

I thought you were a lawyer, not a psychologist… And how many fathers does Chad have?!?

24. massappeal12345 says: Sep 29, 2011 9:54 AM

The first part on this story is Jackson thinking that he is a legend in his own mind.

The second part is the writer making excuses for someone like he is a writing a baseball column.

Its football, play the game.

25. marinephinfan says: Sep 29, 2011 9:56 AM

WTF? Are you guys so desperate to talk about the Pats that you’ll try and act as if you’re some sort of sa hrink? hahaahahaah!

Why do I keep coming to this site?

26. guypatsfan says: Sep 29, 2011 9:58 AM

Three things:

1. Ochocinco is making millions as an NFL wide receiver. Barring injuries or age, by now he should have been more than a one-catch-a-game receiver.

2. This isn’t the Cincinnati Bengals, it’s the New England Patriots. You get with the program, or you get out. Despite their recent lack of playoff success, most teams would kill to be like the Pats. The Bungles sure would!

3. Don’t give me that “individuality” BS! Chad’s a grown man. Time to start acting like one, little boy!

27. axespray says: Sep 29, 2011 9:58 AM

im a bird captain, you’ve gotta let me fly….

– markymark “theotherguys”

28. steelerssmack4u says: Sep 29, 2011 10:02 AM

OCHO-STINKO IS A ME ME ME GUY who is THEE, MOST OVER RATED, the MOST OVER-HYPED WR in the NFL

29. cobrala2 says: Sep 29, 2011 10:02 AM

It’s interesting to think that suppressing his distraction-causing nature is causing him a distraction but I guess with Ochocinco I could believe it.

30. Ralphie says: Sep 29, 2011 10:04 AM

“Though it’s possible that the stage in New England is too big for Ochocinco, it could be that Chad’s continuous effort to repress his nature in order to fit in with the Patriots has become a distraction. Instead of worrying about learning the offense and running the right routes and catching the ball naturally and instinctively, Chad could be carrying around unnecessary mental baggage as he tries to squeeze the square peg of his personality into the round hole of The Patriot Way.”
    _______________________________

Thank you Dr. Freud-lorio. I’m sure as a professional athlete that’s all that has been running through his mind. Let’s cue up a little Sammy Davis Jr. for Chad. because we all know, Chad’s gotta be free, and he surely has “gotta be me”.

SAMMY DAVIS JR.
    “I’ve Gotta Be Me”
    Whether I’m right or whether I’m wrong
    Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
    I gotta be me, I’ve gotta be me
    What else can I be but what I am
    I want to live, not merely survive
    And I won’t give up this dream
    Of life that keeps me alive
    I gotta be me, I gotta be me
    The dream that I see makes me what I am
    That far-away prize, a world of success
    Is waiting for me if I heed the call
    I won’t settle down, won’t settle for less
    As long as there’s a chance that I can have it all
    I’ll go it alone, that’s how it must be
    I can’t be right for somebody else
    If I’m not right for me
    I gotta be free, I’ve gotta be free
    Daring to try, to do it or die
    I’ve gotta be me
    I’ll go it alone, that’s how it must be
    I can’t be right for somebody else
    If I’m not right for me
    I gotta be free, I just gotta be free
    Daring to try, to do it or die
    I gotta be me

31. august1969 says: Sep 29, 2011 10:06 AM

ok.

maybe he just lost a step. it happens when receivers get older.

32. rubicon202 says: Sep 29, 2011 10:19 AM

totally agree, Chad is just older…it happens

33. thetechnocrat says: Sep 29, 2011 10:24 AM

Since when does a 22 year old need to be raised? Good job doing it btw, he acts like an attention starved 5 year old.

34. richm2256 says: Sep 29, 2011 10:28 AM

Memo to Chad:

You’re playing with Tom freaking Brady, possibly one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history.

Run the route you’re supposed to run, keep seperation to be open, and he’ll throw you the freaking ball.

It ain’t that hard ….. you were good at this with lesser QB’s.

Brady knows where you’re supposed to be, and if you’re not there or you’re covered too well, he’ll find receiver B.

Loosen up, do what you do on the field, and you’re going to make us forget about Randy Who? Go have a few beers with Wes, then get on a practice field alone with Tom and work out the timing.

You can do this.

35. jetny says: Sep 29, 2011 10:29 AM

Where are all of the experts who were claiming that this guy and Fat Albert were going to be great pickups for the Patsies?

36. bbrophy1 says: Sep 29, 2011 10:44 AM

The part of the story that is overlooked is that Hue is a heck of a coach, and if the Bengals had any front office competency, they would have made the change and promoted Hue a long time ago. If they did, Chad might be a lifelong Bengals and Carson Palmer might still be their quarterback. Instead the team sticks with coaches who produce mediocrity for way too long. Hue should have taken over for Bratowski as offensive coordinator in 2007 before he jumped ship for the Falcons, and 3-4 years later he should have been taking over for Marvin Lewis as head coach. If you can turn around the Raiders, you can turn around the Bengals!

37. rexismybff says: Sep 29, 2011 10:44 AM

It could be that Chad’s production is down because his personality is repressed…

Or, it could be that he is small, weak, and now that he is older he is too slow to get any separation. And that he is a poor route runner. And that BB should have been able to see that on tape before bringing him in.

38. wutliss07 says: Sep 29, 2011 11:04 AM

I think the Raiders get the W on Sunday. Pats fall to 2-2. Raiders are a tough bunch.

39. huejackson says: Sep 29, 2011 11:05 AM

On Sunday the world will see the future is now..
    Hue Jackson and The Raiders are the future..
    You better watch the game live cause ESPN will not be showing Highlights due to the Raiders winning..
    In the words of Tom Jackson “It’s a damn shame”

40. instantlunch24 says: Sep 29, 2011 11:12 AM

People talk so much trash about Ocho. About how he is so self centered. You obviously don’t follow him on twitter. He is all about his fans. All he really cares about is winning and his fans.

41. homelanddefense says: Sep 29, 2011 11:19 AM

He doesnt look too old to me, having watched all the preseason and regular season games, he just looks lost. The routes are off, just too long or two short. He hesitates, makes the wrong reads, etc.

Take last week for instance, he smoked the man in coverage and dropped a wide open 40 yard TD catch. Thats not age, his legs did the job, he just dropped the ball.

He catches that and he has over 70 yards and a TD for the game. He drops it and he is too old.

42. tedmurph says: Sep 29, 2011 11:20 AM

Jackson was just sticking up for his guy and maybe trying to create a little distraction as well. IMO, this “being himself” stuff is BS. Ocho’s problem is he came from an undisciplined offense to a precision offense w/complicated timing and option routes w/o OTA’s. He also is putting too much pressure on himself because he wants to do well. He doesn’t need to be ‘the guy’ there, should get a little slack.

Still, there’s no excuse for dropping wide open TD passes or running bad routes that cause INTs.
    I’d still rather have Moss.

43. baytownbombers says: Sep 29, 2011 11:29 AM

Chad should do what his messianic coach would do.
    1. Cheat, use HGH to regain his youth.
    2.Throw a hugh baby fit at anyone that doesn’t give you your way , see the end of last weeks game in Buffalo.

44. edmazeing1 says: Sep 29, 2011 11:29 AM

Ill give Pats DHB for Ocho, I cant ever see DHB getting over a 100 yards a game, he catches the ball with his body to much dont belive me re watch the denver game. atleast now with ocho & Hue as coach I know he will improve his game & i am willing to bet your wife on that!!!

45. radrntn says: Sep 29, 2011 11:32 AM

the stage is to big in New England…..i think that is the funniest thing I have ever heard.

46. radrntn says: Sep 29, 2011 11:36 AM

thetechnocrat says:
    Sep 29, 2011 10:24 AM
    Since when does a 22 year old need to be raised?
    _________________________________

are you serious?

47. ronn214 says: Sep 29, 2011 11:42 AM

This guy will never win a championship. Never. He is too “ME” oriented. “Look at me, look at me” It takes a TEAM to win, he will never win, neither will Terrell Owens. They just don’t get it. He will be launched before the season ends. He is done. He is a loser

48. trbfan1 says: Sep 29, 2011 11:55 AM

anyone can be a superstar on the Bengals the rest of the team was crap when he was on it dont know why people think he was that great he may have had two good seasons since he has been in the league he came to New England so he wouldnt be shut down by Leigh Bodden anymore like he did when Bodden was with Cleveland.

49. thewizardsrevenge says: Sep 29, 2011 12:21 PM

The Pats can’t win with those personalities

I’ll say.

Brady’s “start drinkin’ early” hilarious comment was turned into a dumpster fire by the busybodies of the world. PC sucks MD.

50. suhnum1fan says: Sep 29, 2011 12:35 PM

The reality is Ochostinko isn’t good-dough any mo-mo

51. turdfurgerson68 says: Sep 29, 2011 1:12 PM

Thanks baytownbombers…was wondering when someone was going to use ‘cheat’ when talking about anything Patriot related.

You must be either a steeler or a jet fan.

52. granadafan says: Sep 29, 2011 7:47 PM

If Chad is his “son”, then Hue Jackson did a terrible parenting job. You see those terrible parents in public all the time when they let their kdis run around, screaming, throwing things at restaurants, malls, stores, movie theaters, etc with ZERO discipline. You’re seeing the product of no discipline as Chad says what wants, does what he wants much to the chagrin of normal society.