Jeff Fisher “paying close attention” to NFL this year

Jeff Fisher AP

Jeff Fisher has made a few things clear since his parting with the Titans early this year.

He felt like he needed a break, but it doesn’t sound like he intends that break to last too long.

“I’m making the most of my time,” Fisher told Vic Carucci on Cleveland Browns Daily Wednesday. “I’m a dad again, my youngest is playing at Auburn, I’m watching Auburn football and taking some time off, but still paying close attention to what’s going on in the league and look forward to a potential opportunity in the future.”

Fisher has been paying particularly close attention to some of the recent rule changes because he remains a non-voting consultant to the Competition Committee.

That continued role is a sign that Fisher will likely be a full member of the Competition Committee again when he returns to coaching.

Judging by Fisher’s public comments, it doesn’t sound like he intends to make his break from football last as long as Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
49 Responses to “Jeff Fisher “paying close attention” to NFL this year”
  1. gtorlone says: Sep 29, 2011 12:54 PM

Still think this guy is a good head coach. Bud Adams seemed to force the Vince Young pick on him, and it was obvious that Fisher was never a huge fan of VY. Adams had to side with one, and he chose… wait.. neither of these guys work for the Titans anymore. WTF happened?

2. oldcracker says: Sep 29, 2011 12:55 PM

Maybe the new L.A. Vikings can use him.

3. countsnail says: Sep 29, 2011 12:57 PM

Jeff Fisher is probably more aware of what is going on with the Titans than Chris Johnson is. I bet Fisher could rush for 30 yards on 20 carries too.

4. 4t9er says: Sep 29, 2011 12:58 PM

The team that will have him will do well.

5. saturn1111 says: Sep 29, 2011 1:00 PM

Cue the battle cry of the Andy Reid haters in 1-2 Philadelphia: “Kick Andy upstairs and let Fish come back to Philly!”

Aside: I’m sure VY would love that, huh?

Seriously, though…Fisher could spend the rest of his life sitting around the house and admiring all of those bouquets the media tossed him over the years.

Of course, some team will pony up for this guy, and boy will they be thrilled at first.

Then Jeff will start collecting the occasional playoff appearance — just enough to make people continue to think he’s brilliant. He’ll also collect lots more media bouquets, and nothing more.

6. countsnail says: Sep 29, 2011 1:06 PM

saturn1111 says: Sep 29, 2011 1:00 PM

______________________________________

Well, I’m not saying that Fisher would be a HUGE upgrade as head coach. But at least he would give LeSean McCoy the opportunity to be the elite back that he really is. Heck, he could very well save Michael Vick’s life…

7. outburst78 says: Sep 29, 2011 1:06 PM

8. waxedagain says: Sep 29, 2011 1:07 PM

Fisher may follow his Luck to the Colts in 2012.

9. squabbbler says: Sep 29, 2011 1:12 PM

In a league and profession that lives and dies on stats, can someone please tell me again why Jeff Fisher is so highly regarded?

10. jamie54 says: Sep 29, 2011 1:13 PM

Thank you outburst78, about the Chargers I mean. Definitely see Turner on a short leash if his team doesn’t produce again this year.

11. jaggedmark says: Sep 29, 2011 1:16 PM

Of course he wants back in next year. He wants coach the team that drafts Andrew Luck

12. essentialsausage says: Sep 29, 2011 1:19 PM

“I’m a dad again, my youngest is playing at Auburn,”
    ————————————————–

Auburn is recruiting ‘em young these days!

13. hatesycophants says: Sep 29, 2011 1:23 PM

Hiring Fisher would mean a return to the time honored NFL tradition of recycling loser head coaches.

14. scontis says: Sep 29, 2011 1:26 PM

C’Mon man. Can’t you see it??? Thi Fish coaching the Fish! Wild.

15. jayrandle says: Sep 29, 2011 1:28 PM

Article should read ‘Stephen Ross'”paying close attention to Jeff Fisher to coach the Miami Dolphins next year…(or maybe the bye week”

16. dexterismyhero says: Sep 29, 2011 1:29 PM

How about the “Super Bowl Shuffle” Jeff?

17. kbritt18 says: Sep 29, 2011 1:34 PM

Hope he goes somewhere that likes Fisher ball. Tennessee got real tired of it after all those seasons. Run on 1, Run on 2, Pass on 3, Punt on 4 /and or FG attempt.

18. favreforever says: Sep 29, 2011 1:36 PM

The NFL on the other hand, has been completely oblivious to Jeff Fischer.

19. phinfan says: Sep 29, 2011 1:36 PM

I don’t want Cowher, Gruden in Miami. I want FISHER!!! He has the determination to make it to the superbowl again and win it it all. Hes consistent. Cowher and Gruden would only go for the money – COME TO MIAMI FISHER!!!

20. ppc50 says: Sep 29, 2011 1:41 PM

He is a good coach, 1 Super Bowl appearance, but his overall W-L record is mediocre compared to the salary he will demand. I think the Colts could be a good fit or even Chiefs.

21. myspaceyourface says: Sep 29, 2011 1:44 PM

Fisher’s short list.

1. Kansas City
    2. Miami
    3. Indianapolis

22. TurdSandwich says: Sep 29, 2011 1:45 PM

@squabbler, it’s the fans that live and die on stats. Teams will consider other variables and Fish will be working were he wants when he wants – at top dollar. Count on it.

23. clinttaurus says: Sep 29, 2011 1:47 PM

extremely over-valued HC, much better at public image/media than actually coaching

Fish can squeeze alot of wins out of a mediocre team, but get mediocre results from squads with better talent…

24. asublimeday says: Sep 29, 2011 1:57 PM

“I’m especially paying close attention to mike martz’s dumpster fire of an offense and lovie’s total failure to reign him in. Jerry Angelo is barely competent enough to manage a high school team. Plus, the greatest defense ever, which I was a member of….”

25. We'reFineThere says: Sep 29, 2011 2:01 PM

Saturn1111, you rip the Eagles fans and then bring up Fisher getting the most media bouquets? Did you see the McNabb entry that is currently on this site?

26. bobbyhoying says: Sep 29, 2011 2:08 PM

I seem to recall Jeff knowing something about defense. I’d welcome him back to Philly in a New York minute.

27. parkerfly says: Sep 29, 2011 2:12 PM

“Looks like a Dolphins head coach to me. Or if the Chargers don’t make the playoffs again, I can see Norv getting his walking papers.”

Jeff would be a good thing for the Chargers, but no way he’s going to be willing to coach under A.J. Smith’s iron fist.

28. croghan1919 says: Sep 29, 2011 2:36 PM

Fisher loves P. Manning.
    PM works for an AFC south team.
    PM retires…
    Colts hire Fisher…
    Fisher hires PM as his OC.
    Hmm?

29. laiddogg93 says: Sep 29, 2011 2:36 PM

Guard your women!!!
    The Fish is coming!!!

30. croghan1919 says: Sep 29, 2011 2:38 PM

croghan1919 says:
    Sep 29, 2011 2:36 PM

Fisher loves P. Manning.
    PM works for an AFC south team.
    PM retires…
    Colts hire Fisher…
    Fisher hires PM as his OC.
    Hmm?
    ______________________
    I forgot to mention:
    Colts get Lucky in the draft
    double Hmm?

31. blaz0037 says: Sep 29, 2011 2:45 PM

so sick of everyone mentioning Andrew Luck as if he is already a HOF’er. Its NEVER THAT CUT AND DRY.

32. jjbadd says: Sep 29, 2011 2:48 PM

Fisher is like Shanahan sort of, very overrated for sure. Fisher had a long tenure which is commendable, but his teams were average at best. He got lucky & went to the superbowl once, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now & then. I compared him to Shanahan because I’m a Denver fan, & Shanny was fortunate enough to have Elway & Davis for a few yrs, and made it to 2 super bowls, but after they were gone he was crappy! Coaches can only be successful if they have a decent team to help them.

33. vickadelphiaphreedom says: Sep 29, 2011 2:52 PM

Fisher – 142-120 (5-6 in Playoffs) Reid – 119-75…in the NFC East….(10-9).

End of discussion.

34. weiser5150 says: Sep 29, 2011 2:58 PM

Jeff Del “Fisho”

35. philo13181 says: Sep 29, 2011 3:12 PM

If you’re looking for a coach to get you to 8-8 on a consistent basis, Fisher is your guy!

36. dctitanfan says: Sep 29, 2011 3:20 PM

He’d be great for the Colts. He’s already got a Peyton Manning jersey.

37. broncobillie says: Sep 29, 2011 3:48 PM

Interesting thought: the Suck4Luck sweepstakes winner will not only have a good quarterback, but might have the luxury of picking their head coach from among Fisher, Cowher and possibly a few other promising candidates. They might even have those coaches bidding against each other, by lowering their salary demands, just for the opportunity to work with “the next Manning/Elway”

38. mattyice2011 says: Sep 29, 2011 3:53 PM

Titans haven’t won a playoff game in 8 seasons … Fisher was a good regular season coach but mediocre at best when it mattered the most .

39. writesomemorecrap says: Sep 29, 2011 4:28 PM

I would welcome with open arms to his “second home field” (Alltel Stadium) now known as Everbank Field. Hey WW, as soon as you whack Del Rio, GO GET THIS GUY !!!!!!!

40. mattyice2011 says: Sep 29, 2011 5:56 PM

writesomemorecrap says: Sep 29, 2011 4:28 PM

Enjoy 10 seasons of .500 at best football and one playoff appearance every 4 seasons … most overrated coach in NFL

41. wizerud says: Sep 29, 2011 6:16 PM

I’d love it if the Colts got Fisher next year.

42. voyager6 says: Sep 29, 2011 6:38 PM

I swap Marvin Lewis for Fisher anyday. Marvin is too scared to take a chance and can’t manage the clock.

43. saturn1111 says: Sep 29, 2011 6:52 PM

We’reFineThere says: Sep 29, 2011 2:01 PM

I write:

All I said is that Birds fans will want him (and I am a birds fan, by the way), and that he’s overrated. What does that have to do with the McNabb entry currently on this site?

You and I both know that there’s a strong contingent of the Philly hoi poloi who harbor irrational manlove for Buddy Ryan, even though he never won a playoff game in Philly, and will never come close to being as good a coach as Reid, even as lousy as Reid is on gameday.

Fisher’s status as Buddy’s clipboard carrier way back when is truly a meaningless tie to Buddy, but it is enough for those fans to think of all kinds of reasons that he’s a better coach than Reid.

However, in the cold light of day, neither is clearly superior. Fisher has the same number of Super Bowl rings as Andy, and it took him more seasons to get them. And in the 00’s, Fisher has a fraction of the playoff wins that Andy has.

That won’t stop the Andy haters from arguing that Fisher is clearly the better coach.

44. tennesseeoilers says: Sep 29, 2011 8:02 PM

My two favorite coaches of all time are Joe Gibbs and Jeff Fisher. I lived in Nashville until last year, so I know the ownership nonsense Fisher had to coach through. If he was coaching with owners like they have in Atlanta, Indianapolis, or Pittsburgh (just to name a few), he’d be bound for Canton.

45. oscarbluth says: Sep 29, 2011 8:11 PM

Any fan clamoring for Jeff Fisher clearly hasn’t watched much Titans football and are basing their opinion of Jeff solely on the media hype. And a gigantic LOL to the Eagle fan that said he’d be an upgrade over Reid. A quick look at their postseason success/appearances will change your mind I’m sure.

46. tennesseeoilers says: Sep 29, 2011 9:50 PM

writesomemorecrap says: “I would welcome with open arms to his ‘second home field’ (Alltel Stadium) now known as Everbank Field. Hey WW, as soon as you whack Del Rio, GO GET THIS GUY !!!!!!!”

writ5esomemorecrap, I respect the heck out of that post. I know what it means for a Jags fan to say that. I attended the Titans vs. Jags game in Jacksonville to close out the ’05 season, and twice I heard you guys break out into a thunderous “Fisher sucks!” chant. I thought to myself, Wow, Fisher’s as big a rock star down here as he is in Nashville–except down here he’s a HATED rock star.

47. croghan1919 says: Sep 29, 2011 10:41 PM

voyager6 says:
    Sep 29, 2011 6:38 PM

_________________________________

I swap [insert Jim Caldwell’s name here] for Fisher anyday. [insert Jim’s name here] is too scared to take a chance and can’t manage the clock.

48. oscarbluth says: Sep 29, 2011 10:55 PM

phinfan says: Sep 29, 2011 1:36 PM

___________________________

You’re right. He’s very consistent. Consistently mediocre. That’s how he skated by for 16+ years here in Tennessee. He was never bad enough to where you could say he hands down deserved to be fired. But never good enough to make it to the playoffs with any kind of consistency. And when he did make it to the playoffs he hardly ever made any noise (aside from the one Super Bowl appearance that literally required a MIRACLE to happen).

Trust me, if he becomes your HC you will be cursing his name by year 3. A whole lot of 8-8 will be coming your way. So I guess considering the current state of the franchise Dolphin fans might welcome that. He’s a good guy and a very knowledgeable football mind. Unfortunately he still thinks this is the NFL of the 1970’s. His stubbornness and unwillingness to change with the times are what holds him back from being great. And I wouldn’t bank on that changing anytime soon.

49. axespray says: Sep 30, 2011 9:37 AM

oldcracker says:Sep 29, 2011 12:55 PM
    “Maybe the new L.A. Vikings can use him.”

Nah, Leslie is a good coach, now their OC on the otherhand.