DeSean Jackson says his main goal is to stay healthy

Philadelphia Eagles v St. Louis Rams Getty Images

Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson has 13 games remaining until he becomes an unrestricted free agent, barring the inevitable placement of the franchise tag on him by the team.

So what’s his motivation?  To stay sufficiently healthy now to get paid later.

“Whether I have the ball in my hands or not, I feel like I already established myself in this league as one of the great receivers,” Jackson said Thursday, via PhillySportsDaily.com.  “I just gotta go out there and keep doing what I can do.  Stay healthy is the biggest thing.  As long as I can stay healthy, regardless of where I’m playing, I think I’ll be all right.  Just stay healthy and go out there and do my thing.”

Um, what about winning games?

“That’s the No. 1 priority is to stay healthy,” Jackson said.  “I wouldn’t be able to play the game if I wasn’t healthy.  In my book, that’s the No. 1 priority.  Winning is next in that category.  As long as I’m healthy and we’re winning, regardless of my numbers, I think I’ll be very happy.”

Jackson has only 10 catches for 153 yards this season, and only 51 yards in the past two games combined.  Though the manner in which he chased down and tackled Falcons defensive end Ray Edwards in Week Two indicates that Jackson isn’t obsessed with protecting his body while on the field, the fact that he’s putting his health above all else comes as no surprise.

He’ll never get the big contract he has earned if he doesn’t stay healthy.  That’s one of the main reasons to want a new deal; he bears the risk of injury unless and until that contract is signed.

If/when the Eagles use the franchise tag in 2012, Jackson’s pay will shoot up significantly from $600,000.  But he’ll continue to shoulder the injury risk as he chases a life-altering payday.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “DeSean Jackson says his main goal is to stay healthy”
  1. westmantooth says: Sep 30, 2011 10:18 AM

Headlines like this one and Cromartie holding back on his hits (still hilarious) begin to illustrate that the game is sort of beginning to go the direction of becoming a joke.

2. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Sep 30, 2011 10:21 AM

Funny. they asked every Green Bay Packer what their number 1 priority was and they all responded “To win the Super Bowl.”

Go. Pack. Go.

3. grilledjesus says: Sep 30, 2011 10:22 AM

DeSean, do you want to stay healthy?

4. eaglesw00t says: Sep 30, 2011 10:22 AM

He definitely doesnt have a team first attitude. But…with the way the team treated his contract situation, I guess I cant blame him.

Nobody is going to look out for Desean but Desean. Not even his agent.

5. hus10188 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:22 AM

Something tells me his goal of staying healthy won’t be achieved.

6. mhalt99 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:23 AM

from a lifelong eagles fan – PAY THE MAN!!!!!!!

freddie mitchell, todd pinkston, james thrash (had heart)……..can go on and on and on….we haven’t had receivers like this since Fred Barnett and Calvin Williams….and we haven’t had a receiver this good since Chris Carter and Mike Quick?????

7. jacksaysfu says: Sep 30, 2011 10:23 AM

Nothing wrong with that , we have to find a way to get Jackson , Maclin & McCoy signed to long term extensions . Get to work Banner & Roseman !!

8. seahawksfan25 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:24 AM

I think maclin is better.

9. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 30, 2011 10:24 AM

Great news for the rest of the NFC East. Eagles should’ve done right by DJAX. Could be back to $ucking d!ck for a living in Phila…

10. eljefe9 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:28 AM

This is a non-story.

However, for all the dumb things Djax says (and I don’t think this is all that dumb), he proved where his heart is on that play running down the fumble in Atlanta.

11. countsnail says: Sep 30, 2011 10:29 AM

Whatever. As much as I love DeSean’s playmaking ability, Jeremy Maclin is a much more complete receiver. If the Eagles can only pay one of them, it should be Maclin. He works hard and keeps his mouth shut.

The same can’t be said for DeSean…

12. rdssc says: Sep 30, 2011 10:31 AM

It is a joke that teams play roulette with guys like Jackson and Forte. I find it hard to believe that these big market teams with tons of money can not find a way to get their best offensive weapons locked up. It seems like they are almost secretly hoping they get hurt so they can say I told you so…..

13. ramitori says: Sep 30, 2011 10:31 AM

NO! your main goal should be outplaying Maclin and win me some damn fantasy football games!!!

14. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Sep 30, 2011 10:32 AM

And this is the why the Eagles will never be serious contenders. They will always be just “good enough”

15. lampe21 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:33 AM

Hate 2 say it but I agree with him on this one the bird throw all that cash around need to pay their own

16. butlers91 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:41 AM

I don’t have a problem with this. DeSean has been very good, and he does get hurt laying out over the middle sometimes. Since the Eagles are playing chicken with him, it is not a big deal that he is saying this. I doubt if he is holding back much, I bet this is a negotiating ploy.

Plus it is a bit of semantics anyway, he is right that he can’t help them win if he is hurt. If the Eagles wnat more, they can lock him into a contract extension.

Not an Eagles fan or hater…just an observation.

17. derekjetersmansion says: Sep 30, 2011 10:43 AM

They have better weapons than 10 on this team (Vick, McCoy).

He’s basically Todd Pinkston with a good agent and punt returning skills.

18. eaglesnoles05 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:43 AM

The eagles using their subsequent 1st rounder on maclin really altered the djax contract situation. If djax was clearly the #1 wr ON THE TEAM, I’m sure he’d be making #1 wr money already. This isn’t the case in many circles, and maybe in the FO too. Maclin is the best all around wr on the team. That said, I bet if djax gets franchised and feels like he can stomach accepting about 12million dollars, I bet the eagles give him a long term deal before the 2012 in-season deadline to extend.

19. bdawk20 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:47 AM

I don’t blame him, but his coach and him have differing philosophies. Andy Reid’s number one goal is the opposite of “staying healthy”.

20. lbijake says: Sep 30, 2011 10:51 AM

I’man eagles fan. Don’t blame him at all. Why should he be willing to risk all and the eagles take no risk?? They throw him a new contract and all is good. This year for $600,000 and next year for a franchise tag puts a lot of risk on him and protects the Eagles.

21. laeaglefan says: Sep 30, 2011 10:55 AM

Maclin deserves a bigger contract than Jackson does, but he’ll probably get the shaft from the Eagles because he doesn’t make a lot of noise about it like the little punk, DeSean does.

22. instantlunch24 says: Sep 30, 2011 11:01 AM

Well maybe in the wake of HGH testing he has cut the juice. Isn’t that why Clay Matthews is having a down year so far? Every player having a down year is due to impending HGH testing. Give me a break.

Jackson isn’t producing because his QB can’t stay up long enough to get the ball downfield.

23. revengeofthefilthymcnasty says: Sep 30, 2011 11:05 AM

If you were in his shoes, you’d probably do the same thing. The Eagles have no one else to blame but themselves. I don’t understand how you blow your load for every potential juicy free agent acquistion in a shortened lockout year and NOT take care of your own people. DJax has put the time in and had the big plays to justify an early resign. What type of message are you sending to your young, core players?

24. goawayeverybody says: Sep 30, 2011 11:06 AM

To be honest, I’m completely on DeSean’s side here. The Eagles are paying people millions upon millions of dollars left and right and DeSean is getting a pittance for his services. If I were him, I wouldn’t give a rat’s arse whether the team wins or not, especially when people like Nnamdi Asomugha are getting paid twenty trillion dollars to go out there and fail miserably.

25. TheDPR says: Sep 30, 2011 11:07 AM

If you’re not healthy you can’t produce on the field. OF COURSE staying healthy is the priority. Media is making this non-story into something it isn’t. DJax plays hard at a dangerous position.

26. tonyt33 says: Sep 30, 2011 11:10 AM

I am sure the Eagles would have loved to have signed him to an extension but his contract demands have made that impossible…he over values himself. The Eagles were wise to have protected themselves, but what they should have done was trade him. Players like him (undersized WR/kick return guys with lots of speed but poor route running skills) come along frequently enough and the truth is they aren’t able to play at that high level for more than a few seasons (see Donte Hall as a good example). I am sure he is looking for a long term deal with a huge signing bonus…he is not a good long term investment. Last season will probably end up being the most productive one of his career. Trade him now while he still has a high value. A guy with his small size will have the wear and tear of the NFL catch up to him fast…he will be struggling to make a roster in the next few years once he loses some of that speed.

27. billyhoyle4real says: Sep 30, 2011 11:14 AM

Translation: I’ll be taking plays off, dropping balls and avoiding anything over the middle.
    Translation: Mike is going to be on the ground a lot more.

28. kingjoe1 says: Sep 30, 2011 11:24 AM

Well, Maclin is a better WR anyway, so I say trade him now for a pick and fully engage Steve Smith and Cooper into the offense. Maclin is a mixture of Reggie wayne and Jerry RIce(albeit no one really should be compare to JR).

29. howley1 says: Sep 30, 2011 11:37 AM

Maybe they’ll let Jackson go and keep Cooper. Don’t laugh, they let Bradley go and kept _______ (fill in the blank with one of their current LB’s names).

30. howley1 says: Sep 30, 2011 11:40 AM

———-

Especially anybody that hasn’t had a 1,000 yard season.

31. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Sep 30, 2011 11:47 AM

Translation:

Pay me and I’ll start balling.

32. myeaglescantwin says: Sep 30, 2011 11:54 AM

funny how everyone assumes paying DeSean would be easy..

This cat wants to get paid like he’s top 5 WR..
    a top 5 WR doesn’t get lost in games.. A top 5 WR has the ability to make 100 receptions..

Desean is a speed demon, thats it. He cannot make something out of nothing. the biggest asset from his game is that he can open up the defense for other WRs on the squad + if he is left open then its a TD..

no way he is worthy of Megatron $$ or Fitz $$ ,,

i’d trade him straight up for Dez Bryant.

33. steveohho says: Sep 30, 2011 11:55 AM

It will be interesting if the Eagles fade out of contention. The risk of not getting a fat contract due to injury are already high. But not having a chance at postseason would obliterate much if any reward for risking injury. Why would he bother suiting up then?

34. myeaglescantwin says: Sep 30, 2011 11:55 AM

hey howley Maclin had over 1000 & 10 tds last year.. keep up

35. eagleswin says: Sep 30, 2011 12:03 PM

Jackson is worth more than he’s being paid but not nearly as much as he and his agent think he’s worth. That’s the real problem. Everyone thinks the eagles should pay him, the question is how much? Until that question is answered, the eagles can’t just “pay the man”. He’s not Calvin Johnson, He’s not Andre Johnson, he’s not Fitz or Roddy White. I would not put him in the same class as any of those receivers, yet that’s the money he wants.

I would hazard a guess that whenever he does get paid, his play won’t change. It’s all about him, not the team.

36. theharshestreality says: Sep 30, 2011 12:08 PM

DJ is the norm these days as far as receivers go. Other than Fitz and one or two other receivers out there, most care about themselves first. I truly hope he gets what he wants – lots of money…on the crappiest team in football, with the crappiest coach and the crappiest QB. Yes, that is my wish for the tool that is DJ.

37. jakek2 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:17 PM

Bet your rear end Steve Smith got in his ear about staying healthy in a contract year.

Eegs front office is dumb as hell. They’d rather not pay DJ and watch him play half azz then complete the championship puzzle and give him his payday.

38. jakek2 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:23 PM

i’d trade him straight up for Dez Bryant.
    ———–
    too bad this isn’t Madden where you can trade away a scrub for a stud.

39. greymares says: Sep 30, 2011 12:23 PM

the Eagles know what he is worth and will offer his contract as such. i beleive there are many Eagle fans that will not be happy. the man is not that good he has speed and punt returning skills. he drops way to many passes to warrant big bucks he does’nt have the ball skills to turn defensive when he needs to. i am pretty sure that he is the starter to serve as a decoy to clear the middle of the field. overall receiving skills he’s 4th on the team. and i also am a lifetime Eagle fan.

40. realphan says: Sep 30, 2011 12:28 PM

First off, the Eagles will pay him at the trade deadline to defer as much of his money to this years remaining cap as possible. This way the team can make a move if needed, or they can use the remainder of this years cap to pay part of his deal and still be able to sign people in the future, its called FOOTBALL!

Second, I want him to think health first, he can’t WIN much if he’s not out there right? As we have seen and was pointed out in the article, in the heat of a game situation, he is not short arming or playing not to lose, so stay healthy, and WIN GAMES!

41. jw731 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:31 PM

Relax Eagles fans…….Joe Banner is just working out the details of the 18 year, 180 million dollar contract, of which of course the last 150 million comes in years 16,17 and 18………Afterall, they drafted him, and that’s their usual negotiations with players they draft. Now, if he was a free agent, they would throw boatloads of cash at him, in an effort to offset Fat Andy’s horrible drafting resume….

42. NancyNancy says: Sep 30, 2011 12:41 PM

Quotes like this aren’t going to get him a new contract any time soon! With the way he is playing this year, he doesn’t deserve to be paid any more than he already is. His words and actions will determine the contract…which is going down by the week.

43. cshearing says: Sep 30, 2011 12:42 PM

While it may be true that his contract demands are too high, he is also correct in that staying healthy is the #1 priority. No matter what he is worth, we all know it is more than the $600k he is making this year.

44. pitt58 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:42 PM

I’m not a fan of this guy at all and it definitely isn’t what you want to hear a player on your team say, but injecting “Um, what about winning games?” into the middle of the quote as if it’s the question he was answering makes him look a lot worse than the reality that he was answering a question about off season negotiations.

45. luciano26 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:57 PM

He cant win games if he isnt healthy

46. drew05 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:00 PM

theharshestreality says:
    Sep 30, 2011 12:08 PM

———–

Don’t watch much football, do you?

47. sasquash20 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:08 PM

I love DJAX but I wouldn’t give him top ten money. Maybe S.Holmes money but not much more. Hes a dynamic player but hes also very one dimensional on offense. The safties are playing deep and taking him out of games. Now we all know Reid won’t run the ball enough to get the saftey to worry about that, so this is going to be the way it is with him. Not to mention the TEs have to stay in to block so a good portion of your underneath options aren’t there either. If you paid him crazy money he would be an over payed punt returner right now. I also think hes the second best wr on the team behind JMAC. I would rather lock up shadey then DJAX.

48. thingamajig says: Sep 30, 2011 1:09 PM

Words of wisdom from the dream team on why they won’t be in the superbowl this year.

49. drew05 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:12 PM

jw731 says:
    Sep 30, 2011 12:31 PM

——————-

Do people really believe Andy can’t draft?

That the Iggles are attempting to “buy a Superbowl?

Last season they had the 2nd youngest team in the NFL…i.e….mostly drafted players…

This season, they saw what they needed…

A RCB….Hey, that guy in Oakland is a FA…he’s pretty good…/signed.

Pass rushing DT…Jenkins is a beast! /signed

Back-up QB…VY…say what you will, he wins games…/signed.

All in a season/off-season when teams HAVE TO spend 90% of the cap.

Say what you want…but try to keep personal feelings/hatred/jealousy from clouding your judgment.

50. boltschick says: Sep 30, 2011 1:14 PM

So he’s trying to save himself and pass off this selfish attitude as helpful to his team.

There is a saying that seems appropriate here: “Whosoever shall save his life shall lose it, but whosoever shall sacrifice his life for the sake of others shall be saved.”

Stop concentrating on protecting yourself and go out there and fight for your teammates.

51. drew05 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:16 PM

As for D. Jax…

If he doesn’t stop loafing on his routes I’d bench him…I’d trade him in any situation.

Maclin is a much more complete player.

52. raiderlyfe510 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:24 PM

With all the changes Goodell made to protect you 5 foot 9 150 pound a__….You should stay healthy.

53. kingjoe1 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:29 PM

drew5 – I agree 100%.

Maclin is a much better overall WR. He runs better routes, has better hands and on the right routes he can really pile up the YAC.

Pay Maclin, trade DJ. I bet the Buccaneers would love to add him, and I bet they would give up a 1st rounder for him.

54. chocolatebaconbutter says: Sep 30, 2011 1:33 PM

No ones cares about your fantasy teams. I’m serious. No one. Go somewhere else with that.

55. jw731 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:35 PM

@drew05
    ———————————–
    Listen up Eskin Jr. You are barking up the wrong tree….Eagles season tickets have been in my family sinne the day the Vet opened. Are we in another 15 year Fat Andy rebuilding process that has produced zero results…..Would you like me to run down Reid’s 1st round picks during that time? It’s A$$holes like you that don’t cloud my judgement, it makes me shake me head…It will be the same result, as it always has been..Oh and the VY wins games thing…..HA HA…..He has one….count em ONE win against a team with a winning record, and who was that team…..Why it was the Colts, who sat all their starters when 14-0, and readying for the playoffs…..No, Reid cant’ draft talent……My judgement boy, is crystal clear, as will be the end result of this season like every other one Reid has coached

56. philyeagles5 says: Sep 30, 2011 2:07 PM

mhalt99 says:
    Sep 30, 2011 10:23 AM
    from a lifelong eagles fan – PAY THE MAN!!!!!!!

===============================
    i believe we had Terrell Owens

57. silkyjohnson937 says: Sep 30, 2011 2:09 PM

Yeah the bucs would give up a first round pick? Really? Gtfoh! The bucs arent the raiders kingjoe1, the bucs keep their picks draft their own players and they’re not bad at it either, thats why they’re the youngest team in the nfl and they won ten games last season, yeah the schedule wasnt the toughest in the nfl but they were the only team in nfl history to start ten or more rookies and finish with a winning record, not bad if you ask me

58. tonyt33 says: Sep 30, 2011 2:45 PM

@ Drew05

“This season, they saw what they needed…

A RCB….Hey, that guy in Oakland is a FA…he’s pretty good…/signed.

Pass rushing DT…Jenkins is a beast! /signed

Back-up QB…VY…say what you will, he wins games…/signed.

Steve Smith…the G-men were foolin’ around…thought he wouldn’t play till late…Iggles had a guy rehabing with him, said “this’ll hurt the Giants,” a divisional foe…he’s healthier than they think…/signed.”

…Wasted money on Asomugha – His strength is playing close to the line, bump & run style, which the Eagle NEVER do. They already had two excellent corners that are better suited to the style of defense the Eagles play.
    …Wasted money on Vince Young – The Eagles offense is too complicated for him to learn…he is a “make one read and then run” QB. He does not want to be a back-up and will not be back next year.
    …Wasted money on Steve Smith – They already had plenty of depth at receiver. Even when healthy Smith will have an uphill fight for playing time.

What the Eagles needed was starting caliber players at LB, Safety, OT and OG and they got nothing at any of those positions and their poor play at those positions has been the reasons they are losing.

59. drew05 says: Sep 30, 2011 3:13 PM

During his tenure, Reid has compiled the best win total (107), winning percentage (.618) and playoff victory total (10) in team history…

Most people would call franchise bests decent results.

I understand your lack of patience…he hasn’t won a Superbowl…I don’t agree with everything he does, but…to say he’s the problem is laughable.

ALL teams miss on draft picks in ALL rounds…it’s the way it is…

Westbrook…McCoy…Jackson…Cole…all superstars, but not 1st rounders…

VY wins the games he plays in…not a big fan of his…but I’ll take him as a back-up.

As for Eskin….I have never heard him speak…

As for your season tickets…I’m happy for you and your family…not sure why it is relevant…figure somebody that has seen as many victories as you must have would be a little more appreciative.

Go Eagles.

60. granadafan says: Sep 30, 2011 3:43 PM

DeSean is a playmaker, period. The Eagles have really screwed him over. The GM promised DeSean he’d be taken care of if he ended the holdout and apparently that promise was broken. To DeSean’s credit he’s kept his mouth shut since the holdout ended and hasn’t mouthed off like Osi, Chris Johnson, or Lance Briggs. I’d hate for DeSean to leave the Iggles, but I don’t blame him one bit if he gave them the finger.

61. mhalt99 says: Sep 30, 2011 4:44 PM

philyeagles5 says: i believe we had Terrell Owens

yeah and he was good and bad for the team. wasn’t sure where to list him.

we had Irving Fryar too.

62. drew05 says: Sep 30, 2011 6:48 PM

@Tony T…

I’ll give ya that they need LB’s….as the ones they have don’t appear near good enough…they just don’t value the position…and in a passing league, I wouldn’t either…

The Iggles have added safties the last few drafts…and by all accounts N. Allen was well on his way…then tore up his knee, and has yet to return to form. Jarret looks to be getting on the field a little more…we’ll see what he’s got.

OG? They took one with their first pick….so to say the didn’t aquire one isn’t correct…maybe he sucks, maybe he’s a bust…too soon to say. The OL has had noticable improvement over the course of this young season…Mudd’ll get them where they need to be…Vick’ll still make them look bad with his indecisiveness.

OT? I think Todd Herremans plays RT for the next 5 years and the position is good to go. Jason Peters might be the best in the league.

Asomugha…you are correct, a man corner playing too much zone…If we know that, I am certain Castillo does as well…it’s still early, teams are still looking for what they do best.

I personally think DRC is on a trial run here, He kinda fell flat in AZ last year, and was too cheap to pass up. Hope he’s a fit…’cause he sure looks the part.

A. Samuels is the worst defensive player in the league…slight exageration…he should play offense. He refuses to tackle ANYONE that is looking at him…he’ll hit somebody in the back, but that’s it. He’ll be gone soon.

VY’s on a one year deal, “if” he needs to play…the offense will be tailored to his…abilities, or lack thereof.

63. drew05 says: Sep 30, 2011 6:50 PM

And again…

All in a season/off-season when teams HAVE TO spend 90% of the cap.

Go Eagles.

64. axespray says: Oct 1, 2011 5:52 AM

Pay THE MAN!

and show more alex flanaghan nfl network….

she made me sit through a Jamie Dukes’ segment.

65. pigskinswag says: Oct 3, 2011 10:23 AM

He wants to stay healthy because he thinks he’s going to get Larry Fitzgerald type money on his new contract. The Eagles are foolish if they do this. I’m not saying that Jackson isn’t great, but Jeremy Maclin is a more complete receiver.