Dwayne Bowe said slow start was to be expected

D. Boweflying AP

The way Dwayne Bowe sees it, the team’s slow start to the season was easy to see coming. After all, the team didn’t have any offseason practices.

“Without having (offseason practices), we’ve got to somewhat expect a slow start. Now we’re just putting the pieces together, and that’s going to help us win this game. We’re just waiting for Sunday to come,” Bowe said via the Kansas City Star.

Um Dwayne? No team had offseason practices.  But only one team is last in points scored and “first” in points allowed.

“I’m not saying it’s a big factor, but timing is key. Not having that, you can kind of expect a slow start,” Bowe said.

We don’t think Bowe is referring to coach Todd Haley’s early low-key approach to training camp. This seems more like a case of futilely trying to explain the unexplainable: How did the Chiefs get so bad, so fast?

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Dwayne Bowe said slow start was to be expected”
  1. duanethomas says: Sep 30, 2011 10:11 AM

I agree and so do the Bills, Lions and Packers. A slow start is to be expected.

2. enders9 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:14 AM

How did the Chiefs get so bad, so fast?

Because they really weren’t THAT good to begin with. An easy schedule last year made them look a lot better than they actually are.

3. mkwelchsportsradio says: Sep 30, 2011 10:16 AM

Gregg, why do you hate the Chiefs?

4. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Sep 30, 2011 10:16 AM

Very simple (at least on the offense), they lost Charlie Weis.

5. klunge says: Sep 30, 2011 10:20 AM

KC has taken Detroit’s place as the NFL doormat, and it happened the same way. Bad front office and coach in over his head. After years suffering through the Lions debacle I feel for you KC fans, hopefully they get some competent leadership & decision making in there to get back on track.

6. feartheelf19 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:21 AM

Funny thing here is, when Bowe was diving in that picture, he dove from about the 7, dude was about as close as the Chiefs are to first place.

7. cjspiller12 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:23 AM

@Bernard………..I agree……..losing Weis was huge………also agree with enders9, the Chiefs had a cake schedule last year, and top all that off with the loss of Charles, this isn’t a really good football team. Just for the record I think Todd Haley is a terrible football coach. He would of been better off keeping Gailey as the offensive coordinator. I’m thankful he didn’t being a Bills fan!!!

8. buckhuckster says: Sep 30, 2011 10:23 AM

Could it be the lack of offseason practices or was it too many hotel parties with unknown prostitutes, Mr. Bowe?

Excuses, excuses.

9. waitingguilty says: Sep 30, 2011 10:26 AM

And a slow middle…and a slow end….

10. sportsdrenched.com says: Sep 30, 2011 10:28 AM

#facepalm. This team continues to do and say things that make me look forward to the 2012 Royals season. Wait, did I just say that?

The one good thing about the Chiefs being in the NFL is that turn arounds don’t take forever. If you can get the people in the front office who know how to turn things around.

11. countsnail says: Sep 30, 2011 10:34 AM

The Chiefs will only get worse if Josh McDaniels is made head coach, as some rumors are suggesting.

If history is any guide, he will trade Cassel and Bowe, put together a defense with no heart, and will trade away the team’s 2012 #1 overall pick for Tim Tebow. The heck with that Andrew Luck guy…

12. nebster21 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:39 AM

Hmm, I wonder if losing their OC and not having an off season to work with Muir and how he calls plays. Sure he was the offensive Line coach but that does not mean they know his plays. But this is an article by GR why would we not know he did not take his time to think about the subject before writing.

13. thegonz13 says: Sep 30, 2011 10:42 AM

The Bills and Lions didn’t have offseason practices either and yet, there they are.

14. andyreidisfat says: Sep 30, 2011 11:36 AM

Umm yeah ever team did not have an offseason but oddly enough the teams that switched coaches and systems are the teams starting the slowest. The chiefs are also hurting injury wise. But I look at teams like the eagles and dallas as teams that will only get better as the season goes along while teams like washington have are already playing at their highest level. Im not saying the chiefs will be great, but once that offense get used to the system an play calling they will be better.

This offseason hurt teams who made big changes. We won’t really know who’s what this year till week 5 or 6

15. bloggingpoodlewalker says: Sep 30, 2011 11:40 AM

Bowe is close friends with Jamarcus Russell,…does that clear things up for you?

16. goawayeverybody says: Sep 30, 2011 11:51 AM

Losing Jamaal Charles wasn’t exactly what the doctor ordered.

17. gregm5s7 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:15 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Jamaal Charles was overrated? A lot of his productivity-along with the Chiefs as a whole- was due to a soft schedule. Chiefs have had a good a rush offense overlast few years, regardless of the player. He had good acceleration but his overall speed wasn’t that of a Rice, Forte, Bradshaw, etc. I watched a lot of highlights doing fantasy football research (had the #3 pick-went with Rice), he showed great balance and stayed on his feet well but would constantly get run down by average or better DB’s. He is a loss because of the elderly Jones (who I expect to do fair) or undersized McCluster are the next options. Moeaki is just as much of a loss

18. kc4life7 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:23 PM

__________________________________

Are you serious? This comment is so dumb. Jamaal Charles doesn’t have good overall speed? Have you ever watched a Chiefs game? Everytime he busts past the linebackers he is gone. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a DB catch him from behind….ever.

Fair weather Chiefs fans. Always the first ones to hop on and off the band wagon. Great loyalty.

19. kc4life7 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:25 PM

Not to mention that he was an All-American sprinter in college and dominated track during the lockout. Yep, super slow top speed…..

20. haleyistheman00 says: Sep 30, 2011 12:35 PM

Charles is not overrated. he is the only player in nfl history to get 1000 yards under 200 carries and that had nothing to do with his 6.4 yards a carry last year

21. cjspiller12 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:05 PM

@kc4life7………..I’m a Bills fan, and I have to admit that guy gregm5s7 does not have a clue what he’s talking about. To say Rice, Forte and Bradshaw are faster than Charles is insane!! He must have his tv remote on slow motion. Charles is one of the fastest RB’s in the NFL, only maybe Chris Johnson is faster.

22. ugk612 says: Sep 30, 2011 1:49 PM

Good thing for the Chiefs that my Vikes are coming to town! The Vikes will jump out to an early lead and then blow it in the second half.

23. 2sausage11 says: Sep 30, 2011 5:29 PM

——————————————
    I couldn’t agree more……….. Should have kept Weis and gotten rid of Haley, I think he is in over his head and no clue of what to do about it

24. gregm5s7 says: Sep 30, 2011 7:03 PM

kc4life7:

———————————————————-
    Haha, “kc4life7″:
    #1: I am not nor ever will be a Chiefs fan
    #2:I didn’t say he did not have good speed, from watching highlights and games he doesn’t show quite the top speed of the premier starters in the NFL. Just saying he is overrated, not a bad player. probably top 12 in the NFL, definitely not top 5.
    #3: maybe you need to watch the games, 1:15 of this video highlights EXACTLY what I said

The announcer yells out “and Charles is a former track star!!!” as he gets run down. by some rams CB. and this is from some youtube highlight video, i’m sure there are more examples out there
    #4 easiest division in football = stats

25. rwf1984 says: Sep 30, 2011 7:30 PM

So slow start is better for the worst teams! I knew the Bills stunk and the Lions! (Bills and Lions fans I am being sarcastic!) Bowe stop looking for excuses because just like the Vikings who I root for need to own up to their misfortune because everyone else had the same amount of practice time!

26. bobnelsonjr says: Sep 30, 2011 8:01 PM

No better time to turn things around than when the vikings creep into town with their ugly play.

Highlight film weekend for the Chiefs.

27. axespray says: Oct 1, 2011 5:50 AM

Probably Tony/Jamal going out, two big weapons on that offense, now everyone can just double up on Dwayne and beat up on Cassel.