Jaguars avoid blackout

Jacksonville Jaguars v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

The Jaguars got an extension to avoid a blackout of Sunday’s game against the Saints and it worked out for them.

The team announced Friday that they have sold enough non-premium tickets to avoid a blackout. The team also avoided a blackout for their Week One home game against the Titans. As in that case, there are tickets remaining for the game and sales will continue through Sunday, but the Jaguars game will be seen on local television. There were 1,805 tickets available as of Thursday afternoon, but it is not known if the team stepped in to buy up the remaining seats in order to ensure the game wasn’t blacked out.

Sunday’s game will be Blaine Gabbert’s home debut as the Jaguars’ starting quarterback. Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said that he’s planning on throwing a little bit of everything at the rookie on Sunday afternoon. If that proves to be a successful strategy, there might be some in the Jacksonville area who wish that the game wasn’t available.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
45 Responses to “Jaguars avoid blackout”
  1. trbowman says: Sep 30, 2011 3:41 PM

It’s because nobody wants to watch the Jags offense -

Run, run, run or dump off, rinse and repeat.

2. loripetty says: Sep 30, 2011 3:42 PM

I kind of wish Luke McCown was starting just so Gabbert wouldn’t have to get thrown under the bus against the Saints ;\

3. steviaquinn says: Sep 30, 2011 3:43 PM

If the game is close, I wonder how many BS penalties the Saints will get in their favor the 4th quarter.

I dont think the saints can finish a drive without the help of the officials

4. kqole25 says: Sep 30, 2011 3:43 PM

Whew, thank God!!

Does that include the 10,000 seats that aren’t used in the upper deck???

5. mojo32jags says: Sep 30, 2011 3:45 PM

STOP PICKING ON THE JAGUARS! they sell out every game, not like tampa bay…

6. pzimm7778 says: Sep 30, 2011 3:48 PM

I’d almost bet the house on next weeks game being blacked out along with the Texans, Chargers, and possibly the Bucs and Colts games as well.

7. favreforever says: Sep 30, 2011 3:50 PM

Myeehhh….they won’t get past The Golden Aura surrounding Gabbert.

8. damnyoulinelliot says: Sep 30, 2011 3:50 PM

Well, yeah. They still have the tarps covering the seats, right? Not technically a sellout

9. killbuck0936 says: Sep 30, 2011 3:54 PM

Cue the 9 dollar ticket guy…

10. reconl63 says: Sep 30, 2011 3:55 PM

11. jimbobobjr says: Sep 30, 2011 3:56 PM

Don’t worry about the remaining seats. I’m sure they have an 1,805 seat tarp.

12. fthrvic says: Sep 30, 2011 3:58 PM

Oh thank God. Now that I know the Jags will be televised in their local market, my work productivity just increased 10 fold.

13. slawsc says: Sep 30, 2011 4:00 PM

Can we get an update each week from every team as to whether they sold enough tickets, just to balance out your reporting? I mean this is 15 games in a row where we haven’t had a blackout dating back to 2009. When does this topic not become “news” any more?

14. regisphilbin says: Sep 30, 2011 4:03 PM

Blake Jabbert ftw…..

15. robigd says: Sep 30, 2011 4:07 PM

So, who is moving to LA this week?

16. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 30, 2011 4:09 PM

I-10 is going to be one busy interstate.

17. trigzter says: Sep 30, 2011 4:28 PM

I still don’t get this crap rule. I can’t imagine being a fan of a small market team and not being able to watch my teams games. How is blacking out a game supposed to convince people to buy more tickets if they don’t have extra money?

18. ruffiano says: Sep 30, 2011 4:30 PM

How is this news? They haven’t had a blackout since 2009. What’s the status of Tampa? Miami? Great reporting!

19. blackandtealforeal says: Sep 30, 2011 4:47 PM

Feel free to pile on Jacksonville. We can take it.
    We’re happy Gabbert is starting. We can take the lumps along with him as he learns.
    Most of you are so happy to hit the submit button you would never actually investigate how many folks Jax Municipal Stadium holds.
    By the way, while you are shoveling snow and freezing your rears off, we will put on a light jacket and enjoy the fantastic weather like we have for years.

It’s not a sell out. It’s just on TV. I don’t get our fans who think it is.

I also don’t get the local media calling it “the blackout has been lifted when once it’s a blackout it can’t be lifted. Where are my moving to LA comments? Come on slackers! Get with the Jacksonville bashing. We are adults who don’t live in their parent’s basements. We can take it.

20. favreforever says: Sep 30, 2011 4:49 PM

The tired old Tainted Saints bow down when young Sir Gabbert of the Golden Locks rides into the stadium.

21. ar1888 says: Sep 30, 2011 4:49 PM

I guess that quick trip to the Home Depot helped then cover up an additional 10,000 did the trick. Welcome to Jacksonville tarp city.

22. robigd says: Sep 30, 2011 5:24 PM

reconl63 September 30, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT

…..:………………………………..

you sure your bankrupt state can handle another team?

23. emma333 says: Sep 30, 2011 5:28 PM

Let’s play Who’s the Most Pathetic:
    Subject A is the loyal fan of a small market team who writes comments correcting the misconceptions (reason for tarps), exaggerations (multiple blackouts for years on end) or outright lies (9 dollar tickets).
    or
    Subject B fans from other teams that are Jealous, jilted, confused, resigned, angry, hateful, google and wikipedia searchers who write above mention posts….DING DING DING
    Winner winner chicken dinner
    Subject B you’re the most pathetic!

24. pzimm7778 says: Sep 30, 2011 6:11 PM

———————————————————————————-

Ticket sales have been an issue since 1998, blackouts or not. Don’t tell me they havent been because I remember the week they played the Oilers in December of that year and with a win would clinch the division there were empty seats everywhere. I was there. I know what I’m talking about. In 99 (the 14-2 season) there were a couple of occasions local businesses had to buy tickets to get games on tv. In 2002, Winn Dixie guaranteed the sellout of all but game….the one game was blacked out. In 2004, the Jaguars with a win at home over the Texans make it to the playoffs for the first time since 99…blacked out. In 2005 when the tarp savior came that was supposed to bring sellouts and waiting lists required 3 24 hour extension to sell the 57K needed to lift the blackouts. Ticket prices are now and have ALWAYS been very reasonable. There will more than likey be several blackouts this season judging by the ticket tracker.

I’m a Jaguars fan, have been since day 1. I was a season ticket holder when I lived there and watch them every week through NFL Sunday Ticket now. Those of you who keep “correcting misconceptions” or telling people they dont know what they are talking about, you might be able to put the blinders on others and make them somewhat believe you but you certainly wont with me. As far as when this will stop being news, it’ll be when the team leaves and you’re left with nothing but your minor league crap.

25. 504in860 says: Sep 30, 2011 6:14 PM

steviaquinn says:
    Sep 30, 2011 3:43 PM

I dont think the saints can finish a drive without the help of the officials
    ————————————————-

Don’t worry, this game won’t be close.

26. jagfan14 says: Sep 30, 2011 6:16 PM

It’s funny the number of ignorant fans who read this website. These half-baked morons in California who would welcome the jags didn’t support the previous THREE teams they had!

27. tealpocalypse says: Sep 30, 2011 6:23 PM

Everyone from outside the city that doesn’t have a clue what goes on here. They want to feel special and informative by harping on the Jags and the city like national media loves to and to be honest frankly im sick off it. The Stadium is to big for this market cut and dry, tarps are there for a reason not because we can not support the club but because it’s far to large of capacity compaired with the city.

28. bradygazelle says: Sep 30, 2011 6:30 PM

Congratulations on another sellout, Jaguars!

29. schmitty2 says: Sep 30, 2011 6:44 PM

reconl63 says:
    Sep 30, 2011 3:55 PM

Superior Fans? Maybe in the amount of criminal convictions

30. jimbobobjr says: Sep 30, 2011 6:48 PM

“The Stadium is to big for this market cut and dry, tarps are there for a reason not because we can not support the club but because it’s far to large of capacity compaired with the city.”

——————————-

No, no, no. That stadium was renovated specifically for the Jaguars. It’s not like they inherited the Rose Bowl with 100,000+ seats. Can’t use the “I’m a small market, woe is me” excuse.

31. sundog05 says: Sep 30, 2011 7:23 PM

That’s too bad.

32. granadafan says: Sep 30, 2011 7:39 PM

The NFL is the only business in the world where they punish their customers for not buying their product.

33. cwmorga says: Sep 30, 2011 7:39 PM

I would guess the Saints will have decent representation at the game. The Saints are in a small market that has become smaller in the last few years, but they’ve done a good job marketing the team to the entire Gulf South, most of which is an easy drive down I10 from Jville.

34. writesomemorecrap says: Sep 30, 2011 7:42 PM

All you bashers of the Jags can KMRRAH !!!!! POMF !!!!!

35. NoHomeTeam says: Sep 30, 2011 8:02 PM

reconl63 says: the jaguars are the worst team in the NFL and will instantly be boosted to #1 when they move to the new Los Angeles stadium. Angelenos are superior to Jacksonvillians anyday who can’t show the support of a team the way LA has and will. We welcome you Jaguars.

We’ve seen it before, and it’s really the lowest form of discourse. My guess is that whoever this is was verbally bested in a thread by recon163 and this is his (or her) way to retaliate.

I wonder if we’ll start seeing posts from “NoHomeTean” soon?

36. writesomemorecrap says: Sep 30, 2011 8:14 PM

@cwmorga….dude you and I know, residents of New Orleans don’t leave…..

37. emma333 says: Sep 30, 2011 8:35 PM

@pzimm7778 Correcting misconceptions….
    Much of what you have posted is true. The Jaguars have had ticket issues. NO one is denying that…It’s comments like I heard Mike Ditka say on a pregame show last year….He said, MJD should have a great game, too bad only about 25,000 fans will be there to see it…..It wasn’t true then, and it isn’t true now. There was never a retraction, and in this “perception is reality” world we live in….sometimes some of us want to correct such statements.

38. pzimm7778 says: Sep 30, 2011 9:19 PM

Emma, Ditka was an a-hole for that comment. I’ll never deny that. In fact, any criticism I think is unfair I defend Jacksonville. But let’s face it, if the fan base as a whole isn’t the worst it is among the worst fan bases in the league. I already mentioned the ticket issues, but there’s more….a lot more. It is a college football city first and foremost. The stadium was built as large as it was to accommodate 1 college football game, not an NFL team. Weaver wanted a stadium that seated 60-65,000, not 73 or 77. Need more proof it’s a college football city primarily? I go up there twice a year. In the Summer of 2010, I went walking by Football Fanatics at the Avenues Mall. What do I see on display at the door? I see Jaguars merchandise on half of it, and BRONCOS merchandise on the other. We know why the Bronco stuff was there and if we are being honest we know it wouldn’t have been if it wasn’t selling. That’s my problem. It’s not an NFL city, it’s a college town. The teams been around since 1995 and if there’s still loyalty problems then face it, it’s not going to work there. Now, one year later I go back and went to several stores like Dicks, WalMart, Target, and even Football Fanatics and it seems like the Jaguar merchandise line is shrinking smaller and smaller while the college line is growing and growing. Dicks was the worst offender with an entire area dedicated to Gator, Seminole, and Bulldog crap and 1 row for Jaguar stuff. This along with the ticket issues since year 3 add up to why the Jaguars are viewed as they are.

Should Ditka and others look at the current situation before making dumb remarks like they sometimes do? Absolutely. But it’s a reputation the city has earned. Wanna change it? Sell out every game, every year. As long as ticket trackers, extensions, Weaver buying tickets at discounts, etc happen it’s not going to change. Speaking ticket tracker, I mentioned this is a much earlier comment, I see next week as a blackout and several more coming before the end of the year. Again, does not bode well when the ticket problems have gone on for eternity and you’re like the 49th largest market in the country.

39. writesomemorecrap says: Sep 30, 2011 9:43 PM

Ditka is a dick….I also heard that statement and it just goes to show you how uniformed some of, no the majority of these blow holes are !!!!

40. stanmackley says: Oct 1, 2011 10:41 AM

@nohometeam,

i read that post and literally spit out my coffee this morning, and by the time i was done cleaning my keyboard i realized that he had either finally lost it, or he had been hacked lol.

41. egetto says: Oct 2, 2011 7:20 AM

Funny thing is I think the fake recon is more likeable. But he is probably on his lear jet from LAto Rome today, cause that’s how he rolls. I am stuck going to the Jags game by boat with 62K other non-supportive fans on this terrible, 75 degree day. Now Jag fans are criticized by the trolls for debating the daily pot shots we get, we are too sensitive. Got it, thanks. Now go upstairs and wake your mom up, have her cook you some breakfast.

42. recon163 says: Oct 2, 2011 9:10 AM

@ NoHomeTeam:

“It seems like reconl63 is doing some trolling with an ID carefully selected to mimic the ID of an L.A.-based poster who goes by recon163.”

Darn it I missed it. Hopefully reconl163 is enjoying themselves.

Be careful who you rile up HomeTeam, before you know it they are cyber stalking you and blaming a web browsing program for it happening.

43. recon163 says: Oct 2, 2011 9:14 AM

@ egetto:

“But he is probably on his lear jet from LAto Rome today, cause that’s how he rolls.”

Not today egetto. But thanks for wishing me an enjoyable trip.

“I am stuck going to the Jags game by boat with 62K other non-supportive fans on this terrible, 75 degree day.”

Enjoy. I am heading to the Chargers game in 78 degree weather.

“Now Jag fans are criticized by the trolls for debating the daily pot shots we get . . .”

Your’e no debating anything, you just are complaining. Big difference between the two.

44. recon163 says: Oct 2, 2011 9:34 AM

Sorry all…..

I hope reconl63 is enjoying themselves.

But as another poster told me, “i know its tough to except that everyone dispises your postings here”

But so be it.

45. egetto says: Oct 3, 2011 10:12 AM

Ah, so it finally comes out. Chargers are in the front of the line for moving to LA, so you spend hours googling “facts” trying to make the case for other small market teams coming instead of your beloved Chargers. Does your jet have wifi?