Calvin Johnson leads Lions’ wild comeback in Dallas

Getty Images

Calvin Johnson got his record-tying two touchdown catches, Tony Romo had a terrible second half, and the Detroit Lions pulled off a stunning come-from-behind victory to improve to 4-0 on Sunday.

When Romo hit Jason Witten in the end zone for a touchdown early in the third quarter, the Cowboys had a 27-3 lead and it looked like a blowout. And then the wheels fell off for the Cowboys.

Dallas’s next two offensive possessions ended with Lions touchdowns — Romo threw third-quarter interceptions to Bobby Carpenter (a former teammate who was one of Romo’s groomsmen) and Chris Houston, both of which were taken to the house.

And then it was time for Johnson to take over in the fourth quarter: Although the Cowboys had largely been keeping Johnson in check by double-teaming him throughout the game, Johnson had a 23-yard touchdown catch early in the fourth quarter and a two-yard touchdown catch late in the fourth quarter (when the Cowboys surprisingly left him single covered), and Detroit walked away with a 34-30 victory.

Johnson now joins Cris Carter as one of only two players in NFL history to catch two touchdown passes in four consecutive games, and Megatron is continuing to show that he’s one of the game’s elite players.

The Lions have now fallen behind by 20 points in two straight games, and come away to win both, outscoring the Vikings and Cowboys a combined 57-13 in the second half and overtime. It hasn’t been easy, but the Lions just keep winning. Who would have thought we’d be saying this? The Detroit Lions are the first NFL team to reach four wins.

79 responses to “Calvin Johnson leads Lions’ wild comeback in Dallas

1. I’d love to know what is going on in Romo’s head right now. Talk about a roller coaster. Epic collapse for Dallas and great win for Detroit.

The Lions scrappiness is great and can’t wait to see the GB vs. Detroit shootout.

2. They’re like the bizzaro-Vikings. Two weeks in a row I’m about to stop watching, and then comebacks out of nowhere.

3. Can we all please finally agree that Tony Romo is the most overrated QB because he plays for Dallas?

4. First and only team to be 4-0 this year. And a brand new Coloradoan I’d like to say GO BRONCOS (yeah they won’t win but let a man have hope)

5. Well since somebody called Dez Bryant Optimus Prime in another column earlier I have to point out the “good guy” doesn’t always win. As a 49ers fan I must say ALL HAIL MEGATRON! oh and Tony Romo’s fateful pick 6’s

6. My prediction, boysroll doesn’t say a damn thing in this thread. But he’ll show up after a lucky win against my Skins and act like his team won the Super Bowl. What a douche.

7. CJ, 2 TDs against “the boys”! So much for FatBoys’ prediction that he isn’t much of a receiver – guess he’s good enough to BEAT the Cowboy defense. Another blowhard Ryan! If you can’t back it up you should shut up!

8. Someone needs to tell the Ryan brothers that if they’re going to talk it should be to their Jenny Craig rep.

9. This is to that jack off thats been trashing my Lions all day

Yes there is no faith. No win for Dallas, calvin Johnson = megatron and dallas n Romo= choke choke choke choke

GO LIONS 8-0 BEAUTIFUL

THANK YOU Bengles for showing the pretenders are the Bills not Detroit

The Roar is Restored in Detroit

10. woodyg says: (on ryan says Dallas receivers are better than Calvin post)
    Oct 1, 2011 3:52 PM
    Don’t really appreciate the ‘Boys but the Lions spotted the Vikes on the road 20 by half …… They were fortunate that the Vikes imploded again in the 2nd half …… That won’t happen against the ‘Boys or any other team in the Lions final 13 …… In other words, the Lions have already received their ’2011 gift’ ……

Dallas by at least 10 points in this one ….. Then we’ll see what all the foul-mouthed Lion Fans have to say …..
    ————–

Keep making predictions Woodyg! Once again your effort in bringing reality back to lions fans is working well for you.

Keep predicting. Reality check time…….4-0 PERIOD.

11. Cris Carter better shut his damn mouth now. If he still isn’t impressed by Megatron now he has to accept that he is an arrogant a$$ and can’t accept that a Detroit Lion is better than he was even in his dreams

12. Geez MDS this is quite different from the article you wrote a little while ago. I guess once that cruise ship sank in the harbour you and the other cowgirl fans had to do a little face saving. hey no problem. Hope to see you guys again next year.

teejay6

13. This, as a Lions fan for 30 years, is THE greatest victory for me personally.
    They got to shut Rob Ryans mouth, and also cris carter’s at the same time

Throw in the fact that I read a transcript of Jaws comments during the redskins game slobbering all over Jesu……i mean Romo, and this by far is the greatest stuff on earth!

c’mon Jaws, where you laying the blame game this time???

14. I would like to thank the Detroit Lions from saving the entire world of another week of Tony Romo crotch nuzzling, because we all know he is the first QB to ever play injured.

15. I wonder if Chris Carter will acknowledge Calvin Johnson after his next 2 TD performances, after Carter gets eclipsed?

16. Romo almost had everyone fooled. You can’t deny, his last two games showed toughness, focus, accuracy, and leadership. This one though, same old Romo.

Its almost as if when the game is going well he gets too comfortable.

He’s always been fantasy gold, but this game is about more than statistics.

17. @jamezz23: who is megaron? and let me guess the media is gonna blame this on romos cracked rib, punctured lung, and broken heart?

18. I’m not a lions fan and I had my doubts this year. That being said, eating my words has never tasted so good. It’s pretty awesome to see the lions doing so well this year. Like I said, not a lions fan, but who doesn’t love a good underdog story?

19. It is CRIS carter,god if you don’t know how to spell his name you don’t belong on here.Like it or not cc is one of the greatest wr ever how can you not know his name.

20. just a few comments from the “dez bryant rolls” thread:

j972 says: Oct 2, 2011 2:40 PM
    Remember when I said “The Lions are pretenders. Dallas by 20″.

Oh ye of little faith.

itsmammoth says: Oct 2, 2011 2:47 PM
    Where my Romo haters?!? haha

rjwalnuts says: Oct 2, 2011 3:00 PM
    Don’t know if Dez is better than CJ, but no doubt about it…The Cowboys are better than the puddy cats…oh and the Redskins lmao….

joetoronto says: Oct 2, 2011 3:21 PM
    itsmammoth says: Oct 2, 2011 2:47 PM
    Where my Romo haters?!? haha
    *************************************************
    Say what?

jdandcoke says: Oct 2, 2011 2:49 PM
    i thought dallas would win a hard fought game but i didnt see this coming. as much as i detest the boys….kudos to them and to romo.

the lions? i guess they arent quite where people thought they were….theyare getting embarrassed today.

Football is 60 minutes, not 30.

21. Aa Jim Schwartz said in the local post-game, “I’m glad the 3rd best receiver on the Cowboys is on our team.” LMAO!!!!!

22. Now lets go back to your earlier post I think it read “Dez Bryant Rolls as Dallas Cruises by The Lions”….I know you are a Cowboys Fan and I know that you are in pain and I`m Loving it!!!!

23. Where is that dude who was saying the Cowgirls would roll by 20? I do believe he was talking again at halftime. Yeah I don’t think you’ll be hearing from him.

24. It should also be an NFL record for a team to be down that many points, in two-consecutive games on the road, and win them both.

25. Hey whete is rob ryan. What’s he got to say about calvin johnson now? I maybe be a packer backer but detroit did good today.

26. Nope, still not “elite,” sure he’s a damn near unstoppable genetic freak. He scores EVERY game, his team is undefeated and HE was the dagger to the heart of “America’s Team,” but still, not elite…..

27. You know, this cowboys team is simply a deadly disease. I mean, how many cowboys fans just feel really really sick right now …even worse than week 1 vs the jets.

Megatron got the last laugh… the guy is great and awesome, on and off the field. Bob ryan looks like a junkie.

28. I was glad the Cowboys suck fest by Buck and Aikman finally got shut up. Those 2 don’t deserve to be in the broadcast booth.

29. ahs2 says:
    Oct 2, 2011 5:03 PM

Unfortunately, most of the chowderheads on this site won’t undertsand that comment lmao

It was awesome hearing Brandy’s response to that

30. Although, it seems like the Lions fan base has increased 744789544788544784%. Romo is as big a fraud as many of the Lions fans.

31. Amazing how it was 2 games in one. Detroit looked like 2 different teams. And Tony Romo looked like Tony Romo. Poor decision maker.

32. This hasn’t been mentioned, but one of the things I like about Calvin Johnson is that his play on the field does the talking (rather than running his mouth like many elite receivers seem to do). Despite obvious disrespectful comments from Rob Ryan (cowgirls receivers are better than Johnson…seriously???) and Cris Carter’s sour grapes, Johnson hasn’t engaged in trash talk. All he does is keep making big plays…no matter if he’s double covered or mugged by desperate cornerbacks.

I’m a Texans fan, but am happy for the Lions and their fans. Detroit was hit HARD by the recession, so it’s great they (finally) have a good football team. I don’t think anyone outside the Lions locker room believed they could be 4-0. They are a young, exciting, and talented team…but I don’t think they win the division (beating the Packers this year may be asking a little too much). If they stay healthy (especially Matthew Stafford) maybe they can make the play-off’s as a wild card.

33. If the cowboys fail to make the playoffs. Tony Romo will no longer be a cowboy. You can book that!

Only problem is who can you replace him with. Perhaps a matt flynn or other budding backup. Don’t know? But I bet JJ is already on the lookout for his new QB.

34. ^^Amen to that! These guys are the ‘feel good’ team of the year! And I’m loving a quiet mannered ACC wideout taking it to the haters by putting up numbers!! Dez should watch that gametape and treat it as gospel

35. Congratulations Lions fans. That Turkey Day tilt against Green Bay is looking very appetizing. Keep it going!

Go Lions! Go Blue! Go Wayne Fontes!

36. Megatron had 2 Cowgirls DBs draped on him in the endzone and got the TD catch. I want to see Ryan explain how that’s because Calvin sucks.

Also – who was the genius who decided to single cover Megatron on the game winning score? (Ryan!) Not accepting a penalty that would have pushed the Lions out of FG range also seemed like a dumb coaching decision, but that one wasn’t Ryan’s.

Anyway, the Romo haters need to remember that this loss isn’t all on Romo. You win and lose as a team.

Not being able to punch the ball into the end zone from the Lions 1/2 yard line, and letting Bobby Carpenter and Chris Houston turn Ints into Pick-6 Ints … that’s on your whole offense.