No talks yet between Packers and Finley

Green Bay Packers' Jermichael Finley celebrates his touchdown against the Chicago Bears during the third quarter of their NFL football game in Chicago Reuters

Last week, ESPN’s Tom Jackson didn’t believe in Packers tight end Jermichael Finley.  (Finley responded with three touchdown receptions.)

This week, there’s a question as to whether the Packers believe in Finley.  Charley Casserly of CBS reports that the Packers have had no talks with Finley on a long-term deal.  Finley is due to become a free agent after the season.

But the Packers have an ace in the hole.  If the Packers have to use the franchise tag on Finley, who plays more like a receiver, it’ll be the lower tight end number.  For 2011, for example, the franchise tender for tight ends was $7.28 million.  For receivers, it was $11.424 million.

And so it makes sense for the Packers to sit tight.  Of course, the manner in which Finley reacts could influence the long-term wisdom of that strategy.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “No talks yet between Packers and Finley”
  1. tonymission says: Oct 2, 2011 12:38 PM

Nice non-story.

2. getsome636 says: Oct 2, 2011 12:38 PM

They better get him signed. I know he has an injury history, but if he stays healthy he could be the best in the league.

3. childressrulz says: Oct 2, 2011 12:40 PM

I would let him walk. He can’t stay healthy. Besides he won’t like having to play with an average QB. I doubt very much if the patriots or saints will look into him as they have good TEs. Let him go try and have a YOTTO (year of the take over as he puts it) with someone like Jay Cutler throwing him the ball.

4. ecnasty says: Oct 2, 2011 12:41 PM

It is a business, pay the man, and move on. Don’t create unnecessary problems in the the locker room. They had an easier time replacing Farve, then they will have replacing Finley. This is a passing league now.

5. mantastic54 says: Oct 2, 2011 12:44 PM

I remember a few years ago the Ravens tagged Suggs as a LB and he filed a grievance stating he played more snaps at DE and should get the franchise DE salary. I wonder if a guy like Finley who is often split out as a WR could do something like that

6. icewalker946 says: Oct 2, 2011 12:44 PM

In Ted we trust.

Oh, and I CAN’T WAIT (giggle!) for that goofball stairwayto7 poster to log on and see this story. He’ll pound away somthing about cancer, ‘erin’ Rodgers, or fat ‘sconies.

7. icewalker946 says: Oct 2, 2011 12:47 PM

tonymission says:
    Oct 2, 2011 12:38 PM
    Nice non-story.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    How is it a non-story? Did you know that Finley, who plays like a WR but is listed as a TE can be signed for almost $4 million less because of that?

More like a ‘Nice non-reply’.

8. moneymike23 says: Oct 2, 2011 12:47 PM

“Per Casserly, the Packers want to see more of a body of work from Finley, who missed most of last season with a leg injury.”

More body of work???? Are you kidding me? Charlie Casserly at his finest.

9. aaronitout says: Oct 2, 2011 12:49 PM

getsome636 says:
    Oct 2, 2011 12:38 PM

————————————————————

I want Finley to be a Packer for the rest of his career but I think Ted standing pat until Finley proves he can stay healthy is just fine. Franchising a TE is far less expensive than franchising a QB, DE, or CB.

10. cryanr says: Oct 2, 2011 12:55 PM

Charley Casserly is an absolute clown. I don’t think there’s anybody in sports I dislike more than him.

Well, maybe. I just can’t think of a person right now.

11. gpack22 says: Oct 2, 2011 12:59 PM

By body of work they mean ….Actually staying on the field. Which is yet to happen. They know is talent, that is not the question.

12. firethorn1001 says: Oct 2, 2011 1:03 PM

If you don’t think Ted Thompson likes to take care of his guys then you haven’t paid attention to him the last few years.

13. jessethegreat says: Oct 2, 2011 1:09 PM

tag him and keep tagging him if he keeps up the production. He seems to get hurt too frequently to give him a big long term contract. Dude’s got a pretty big ego (this CAN be a good thing sometimes) so let it drive him to be the best he can be.

I don’t understand why teams don’t do this with RB’s that are top notch. Guys like AD and CJ2K. Sure it ties up the franchise tag, but it removes a lot of the risk from the guy getting a huge contract that he doesn’t earn in the later years.

14. aaronitout says: Oct 2, 2011 1:31 PM

@ jessethegreat

I think the new CBA has language in it that prohibits teams from using the franchise tag on a player more than two times.

15. bvanbvan says: Oct 2, 2011 2:16 PM

cryanr says: Oct 2, 2011 12:55 PM

Well, maybe. I just can’t think of a person right now.
    *********************************************

Skip Bayless ? ? ?

16. shofbauer says: Oct 2, 2011 2:25 PM

This should be a no-brainer, he produces. They gave Jones the $$$, now lets give it to someone who really deserves it.

17. MCxShow says: Oct 2, 2011 2:30 PM

If Ted Thompson is as smart as we all say he is, he’d sign Finley sooner rather than later.

18. acmepacker says: Oct 2, 2011 2:43 PM

His durability has to be something of an issue. He missed a good part of last season and is already having an ankle issue. He could be one of the best but I can’t blame the Pack for being cautious right now. You can’t make plays when you’re on IR.

19. dd393 says: Oct 2, 2011 2:47 PM

Tom Jackson doesn’t believe in Packers tight end Jermichael Finley? Another reason that Tom Jackson is the second string buffoon on ESPN. I think he should get an MRI on his head, just to make sure that there’s something there.

Let the general managers’ job go to those who are qualified.

20. axespray says: Oct 2, 2011 3:25 PM

We’ll probably reward him once he proves he can remain healthy and productive for a whole season.

21. stavreafavre says: Oct 2, 2011 3:26 PM

Definitely want to see him stay with the Pack. But if they can’t sign him… well, they did win it all last year without him. So I don’t think his departure would be the end of the world or the end of the Packers as contenders.

22. houndog50 says: Oct 2, 2011 4:58 PM

shofbauer says: Oct 2, 2011 2:25 PM
    ——————————————————-
    Ya, they gave Jones a HUGE $8M over three years!
    A real dogmeat contract. Jordy Nelson is worth a ton more than Jones!
    Finley, it’s hard to say, he is really good, but great? Not yet!
    If he doesn’t have a great season THIS YEAR, franchise him, or let him walk. There’s other guys on the roster ready to step in, like 3 or 4 of them. Guys who won’t disrupt the locker room if they aren’t gettin’ enough balls.

23. johnnyb216 says: Oct 2, 2011 11:58 PM

It looks as though they’ve had plenty of talks with jordy nelson though.

24. jessethegreat says: Oct 3, 2011 12:05 AM

aaronitout,

I wasn’t sure about the new CBA rules, but even if that’s the case, they can franchise him the next 2 seasons. If he stays healthy both years and continues to progress, I’d be fine if they lock him up long term. I like the idea of sticking the carrot infront of the guy’s face and making him strive to earn it. Finley is as talented as any TE to ever play and one of Rodgers’ best assetts imho. I don’t see a downside if Ted tags him.