Phillip Buchanon blames suspension on “an honest mistake”

Phillip Buchanon, Rashad Jennings AP

Redskins cornerback Phillip Buchanon is back with the team following his four-game suspension, and he’s declining to say what substance he took to earn that suspension — other than that he didn’t mean to take it.

Buchanon said it was “an honest mistake,” according to CSNwashington.com.

The NFL has strict privacy rules regarding drug testing, and so there’s no way to tell which players were busted for taking steroids and which ones merely took an over-the-counter supplement that had a substance on the banned list. Buchanon didn’t want to volunteer anything.

“Things happen,” he said. “I look forward to trying to make plays.”

The Redskins have their bye this week, and Buchanon is expected to start making plays in Week Six against the Eagles.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
16 Responses to “Phillip Buchanon blames suspension on “an honest mistake””
  1. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 4, 2011 2:59 PM

That’s it, Phillip- keep your mouth shut and play….maybe other people in the Redskins Defensive backfield can learn from the example….but meanwhile, ya gotta quit getting stoned in training camp!

2. ajknox88 says: Oct 4, 2011 3:01 PM

Layin the wood.

3. jimbobobjr says: Oct 4, 2011 3:02 PM

“I didn’t mean to take it-the Devil made me do it.”

4. skinnyskins says: Oct 4, 2011 3:08 PM

I wouldn’t start him over Barnes, but it’s nice to have him back.

5. n0hopeleft says: Oct 4, 2011 3:11 PM

When the Giants break Rex in half, I will be there live, laughing out loud. Then I’ll scream HAIL for all you losers.

6. dikshuttle says: Oct 4, 2011 3:16 PM

Someone else to help cover Hall’s man! hehehe

Just let Hall ROAM!

7. butternutzz says: Oct 4, 2011 3:19 PM

Giants got handled by two touchdowns stupid

8. kingkreg12 says: Oct 4, 2011 3:23 PM

Tough to tell whether his silence comes from embarassment or just being disciplined. Fact of the matter is that these guys should check with a lawyer and a doctor before they put anything in their bodies.

9. fastrichie says: Oct 4, 2011 3:32 PM

He’s looking forward to trying to make plays … Kinda like he’s trying to not get completely trucked in the photo!

10. orakpownd says: Oct 4, 2011 3:37 PM

His bong is named “honest mistake”

11. hrmlss says: Oct 4, 2011 4:13 PM

Did he get fined for that face mask?

12. granadafan says: Oct 4, 2011 5:06 PM

“kingkreg12 says:
    Oct 4, 2011 3:23 PM

We are starting to see people hit with 4 game bans over taking the wrong medicine. When you are talking about your profession I think that these guys should take a little more care into what they put in their bodies.”

================================================================

Of COURSE it was an “honest mistake”. You’re buying that spin job?? Not a single athlete has owned up to taking drugs when caught. Look at Cushing. First he said he was pregnant, then he thought he “had a tumor”, then he said he “worked out too hard”. Althetes and their lawyers/agents must think we’re idiots.

13. Matt says: Oct 4, 2011 7:11 PM

Phillip was one of the most talented young corners I’ve ever seen wear silver and black, but maturity has always been the thing holding him back.

As the great Tim Brown said, “Phillip giveth, and Phillip taketh away.”

14. favreforever says: Oct 4, 2011 11:29 PM

An honest mistake. “Honestly I had no idea they would be testing that week.”.

15. pikkiwoki says: Oct 4, 2011 11:52 PM

He was taking an extra strength anti-inflammatory, because he’s always getting burned.

16. bison4me says: Oct 5, 2011 5:31 PM

n0hopeleft says: Oct 4, 2011 3:11 PM

=====================================
    That’s alright because between Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Dirty 30, we’ll send Eli out to pasture to be up in the booth with his brother.