Andre Johnson expected to miss three games

Pittsburgh Steelers v Houston Texans Getty Images

Texans coach Gary Kubiak was rather vague when talking about Andre Johnson’s hamstring injury on Tuesday, but a clearer picture of Johnson’s recovery timeline is starting to emerge.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that Johnson should be back no later than October 30, which means he’d miss games against the Raiders, Ravens, and Titans. ┬áJohn Clayton of ESPN reported a similar timeline.

It’s possible Johnson could return for the Titans, but McClain believes the Texans will play it safe to make sure Johnson is fully recovered. McClain also reports that Johnson underwent a “surgical procedure”┬áto prevent scar tissue from forming around a slight tear in his right hamstring.

Stephanie Stradley, who writes a blog for the Chronicle, writes that Johnson received Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy.

We saw with Arian Foster that applying exact timelines to a return from a hamstring injury can be tricky. However long it takes Johnson to return, the Texans must be relieved he’ll be back well before the team’s playoff push.

Now they just need to figure out how to score without Johnson in the lineup.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Andre Johnson expected to miss three games”
  1. broncobillie says: Oct 5, 2011 11:31 AM

This will be the showcase for whether the team has grown in mental toughness. They have enough other weapons on both offense and defense, it’s just a matter of putting them all together and, like Steve Young says, if Schaub can put the team on his back.

2. creese76 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:36 AM

Hopefully he can make it back in time to land another haymaker on Cortlan Finnegan!

3. ckacv111 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:42 AM

Thanks for the 16 hour late story…

4. kevbarnett says: Oct 5, 2011 11:49 AM

They’ve got one of the better QB’s in the league, one of the better RB’s, a sure handed TE, and a vastly improved defense. I see no reason why they can’t go 2-1 in the next three games in Johnson’s absence.

I see them at the by at 7-3 at the bye.

Finishing the season at 11-5 finish.

5. goawayeverybody says: Oct 5, 2011 11:50 AM

It’s time for Jacoby Jones to step up.

6. browntown57 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:53 AM

John McClain also went on to say, ‘Yippie-ki-yay to Houston’s season’.

7. quittsburghstoolers says: Oct 5, 2011 11:58 AM

The Texans had better hope AJ comes back quick.

If not, it looks like they will be handing the Titans the AFC South…

8. philo13181 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:59 AM

…and the 2011 collapse of the Houston Texans officially begins

9. galvestontexans says: Oct 5, 2011 12:03 PM

I think we will go 2-1 over the next 3 games with out him.

10. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Oct 5, 2011 12:09 PM

While i’m worried about Johnson not playing, I still think the Texans can win 2 of the next 3 games. Foster is dominate and Gary just needs to learn how to use his good T.E’s. Casey HAS to become a bigger part of the offense. An They need to try and produce more in the redzone. They are gonna need the defense to stay on its toes and force some turnovers. I just hope the Andre makes it back by week three. I was really hoping to watch two games of AJ vs Courtland Finnagirl

yea that nick name sucked but w/e MAKE IT BACK!

11. finsuppatsdown says: Oct 5, 2011 12:09 PM

Here comes all the hamstring injuries as a result of the lockout. I wish him a speedy recovery. He is fun to watch when he is on the field. Up until this year I thought he was the best reciever in football. Now I think it might be another guy named Johnson.

12. bloggingpoodlewalker says: Oct 5, 2011 12:16 PM

Well this is good news for my Raiders,..until this story broke they werent planning on showing up in Houston. Now they will only lose by 21 instead of 35. Cool.

13. pigskinswag says: Oct 5, 2011 12:33 PM

They’ll miss Andre Johnson obviously, but in the Saints-Texans game, I think we got a sign of things to come from James Casey. You’ll probably see him featured more, the guy’s got some talent.

14. dyhrdpatsfan says: Oct 5, 2011 12:38 PM

That field is the worst.

15. monsterscream says: Oct 5, 2011 12:38 PM

Ravens get the Texans after a bye and at home. Now they’re without Andre Johnson? The birds will beat them like they stole something!

16. titknocker says: Oct 5, 2011 12:50 PM

just picked up jacoby jones in 2 leages…better not let me down brotha!!!!!

17. orthodoxdj says: Oct 5, 2011 1:08 PM

And the Raiders get back on track…

18. whatwouldlombardido says: Oct 5, 2011 1:09 PM

If the Texans’ run defense improves, they’ll be OK. If not we’ll be hearing “with the tenth pick in the draft the Texans select…”

19. p4hbiz says: Oct 5, 2011 1:46 PM

Great news for Oakland secondary,.. stack the line stop foster and hope they stay in that 3-4 dee so we can run all over it.

20. radrntn says: Oct 5, 2011 2:20 PM

well that helps the raiders this week.

21. truninerfan49 says: Oct 5, 2011 3:08 PM

I hope Arian Fosters hammy is healed because he is looking at 50 carries this week

22. whitemike55 says: Oct 5, 2011 3:54 PM

People who don’t follow the Texans do not realize that this offense does NOT revolve around Andre Johnson.

As a diehard Texans fan, and Andre Johnson fan, I pull my hair out watching Calvin Johnson, Roddy, Fitz, and other Elites get the TD’s and Redzone attention.

Kubiak is all about spreading the ball around and running the ball.

Andre Johnson is a beast but has never had over 10 TDs in a season.

Don’t forget we missed Andre for 4 games last year and still put up big #’s offensively. Now with an improved D, WATCH OUT.

With 3 VERY good pass catching TEs, decent WR2, WR3, and Foster at RB this team will take a slight step back but it won’t be “that” big of a deal.

Will teams play us differently? Sure… but we got many other weapons to get us by.

Next 3 games.
    Home for Oakland. Texans 24 Raiders 17
    Road in Baltimore. Texans Lose, probably even with Andre.
    Road in Tennesse. Texans have more talent than Titans, and it will be close. but Texans win 23-20. (Andre may play being big division game)

Texans 5-2 when Andre is fully healthy and cupcake schedule on the horizon.

23. titknocker says: Oct 5, 2011 4:16 PM

I hope Arian Foster blows his hammy out for good!!! Got Ben Tate too!!!!!

24. radrntn says: Oct 5, 2011 4:16 PM

bloggingpoodlewalker says:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:16 PM
    ————————————-
    ok

25. ppdoc13 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:33 PM

I can’t tell all you Texan fans how broken up I am that Andre won’t be playing when you pay us a call in Bmore. That guy is a freaking GREAT wide receiver as if you didn’t know.

But to whitemike55 – even if the Texans don’t totally revolve the offense around him, his presence absolutely must be accounted for when he is there. I don’t care how many other weapons you have, the defensive game plan got a lot easier finding out that he is shelved for the game.

I expect a good game. With Andre, I don’t see the Texans scoring more than 24 points on the Ravens. Given our defense, his absence, and our 12th man home advantage, I see this one as a win (hard fought) for the Ravens. This is important, because I sure as hell don’t want to come to Houston in the playoffs, I want you guys coming here and freezing your balls off.