Breaking down another “Tryout Tuesday”

Getty Images

You know the drill by now, or at least you should.

Every Tuesday, teams bring in some unemployed players for a tire-kicking.  Here’s the list of players who had tryouts on October 4.

Cardinals:  punter Matt Dodge.

Panthers:  linebackers Antwan Applewhite, Kevin Bentley, Kion Wilson; defensive back Quintin Demps.

Bengals:  defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer.

Browns:  defensive back Levy Brown, linebacker Tim Cheatwood, defensive end Robert Rose, defensive tackle Kiante Tripp.

Packers:  center Colin Miller.

Texans:  defensive backs Ramon Broadway, David Jones, Darcel McBath, Joshua Moore, Myron Rolle.

Dolphins:  quarterbacks Brodie Croyle (pictured), Trent Edwards.

Vikings:  punter Nick Harris.

Giants:  tackles Chris Campbell, Selvish Capers; defensive back Justin Tryon.

Jets:  tight end Brandon Manumaleuna.

49ers:  running backs Dimitri Nance, Jalen Parmele, Tyrell Sutton.

Seahawks:  defensive back Marlin Jackson, guard Duke Robinson, tight ends John Nalbone and Richard Quinnn.

Also on Tuesday, the Ravens visited with defensive back Bryan McCann, the Colts visited with guard Quinn Ojinnka, and the Jets visited with tight end Brad Cottam.

55 responses to “Breaking down another “Tryout Tuesday”

1. Vikings: punter Nick Harris.

A punter? Really? Is he like some weird hybrid Punter/Left Tackle guy? Man, your team is terrible.

2. I am shocked the Jaguars haven’t brought in a punter. I find it VERY hard to believe there isn’t somebody better than Turk mowing their grass on Sunday.

3. Haha I was gonna ask why the Vikings were trying out a punter, but the first four comments posted are already about that.

4. Word from Adam Shefter is that my Dolphins turned down an offer with Garrard over a prorated contract for the balance of the year at less than $1 mil.

If true and we are looking at Croyle or Edwards instead we are and should be the least respected team in football.

As a 27 year season ticket holder I can’t believe what I am seeing.

5. So the Patriots are satisfied enough with their league-worst defense that they didn’t bring a single player in?

“I believe in Bill. I believe in Bill. I believe in Bill”

(Keep repeating until Sunday)

6. richm2256 says:
    Oct 5, 2011 10:36 AM

“I believe in Bill. I believe in Bill. I believe in Bill”

(Keep repeating until Sunday)

He’ll worry about that after next week when they play a good team that they need a D for

7. I was never impressed with David Garrard and no one bringing him in seems to say that the player personel ppl around the leaugue might agree with me. Some other Colts fans were calling for him, but after seeing him twice a year I could never understand why they would want him in Indy.

Since the Colts played Monday night, would they be bringing in D line on Wednesday or is it still Tuesday tryouts even for Monday night game teams? Anyone know?

8. A punter… for my Vikings… Kluwe is a great punter, why in the hell would we be looking at a new one? What we NEED is a whole new O-Line and a change at QB.

Frazier, you’re seriously letting me down… and I had so much faith in you.

9. Sorry but Kluwe is not a great punter. Especially when a good punt is needed, he kicks it 35 yds. When he does kick it far it gets returned for a lot of yards or a TD. Plus he can’t tackle or keep his mouth shut. He used to be decent at punts inside the 20 but can’t do that well either now. He is a pencil necked chump. I hate him almost as much as Gary Anderson & Ryan Longwell.

10. Trent Edwards looked good for Buffalo there & then got injured, just like Fitzpatrick just did.

I’d watch for the decline in Fitz’s play & the Bills to come crashing to the earth back to a top 5 pick.

Shoutout to all TBD member, Scrappy is Skooby.

11. I’m surprised at the number of morons commenting on the Vikings trying out a punter. They aren’t looking for a replacement for Kluwe, they’re just bringing a guy in to have on their radar in case Kluwe breaks his leg or gets suspended by Goodell for one of his tweets. All teams try out players on Tuesdays at all positions. It’s about being prepared, not about looking to replace a starter. Get a clue.

12. Given the fact that Kluwe has a couple of special team tackles this year (why would you comment that he can’t tackle? Sometimes he’s the only one who does), it makes sense to keep active and updated info on backup punters who may be available.

Also, Tom Pelissero reported that they brought him in to get some practice watching left footed punters and their rhythm.

13. lol @ Frazier thinking his problems are with the Kluwe’s whiteboard. try out a QB
    ————————————————–Kluwe’s hurt….

14. “nagidac says: Oct 5, 2011 10:56 AM

No T. J. Houshmandzadeh”

I know the Giants worked him out before they signed Brandon Stokely. He obviously didn’t impress there so….

15. vikesfansteve says:
    Oct 5, 2011 11:39 AM
    _____________

This has to be a bit.

16. The Phantom Stranger says:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:07 PM

——————-

Thanks for some sense in this pool of drivel. I don’t think the commenters here have any idea what the purpose of these tryouts are for, yet they are criticizing Frazier like this is a draft pick or something. Just more mindless Vikings hate. Kick ’em while they’re down, eh?

17. Every unemployed offensive lineman between the ages of 21 to 40 should be calling the Steelers right now.

The team’s OL has all the same qualities that professional chefs look for when they need a good colander…

18. cincybert says:Oct 5, 2011 11:11 AM

The Bengals bring in a former 49er every Tuesday simply out of habit.

—————————————————-

They also the wanted list for guys who have played football…

19. The Phantom Stranger says:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:07 PM

_______

Well, if they’re just getting guys “on their radar,” they might want to try adding “serviceable veteran QB who can win games and mentor young QBs” to the radar.

20. “Seahawks: defensive back Marlin Jackson, guard Duke Robinson, tight ends John Nalbone and Richard Quinnn.”

Oh man, I wish Richard Quinnn would try out for my team! A guy with 3 Ns in his last name is bound to be a winnner. Maybe the extra N stand for “Nice type, sausage fingers”.

21. You didn’t see him whiff that tackle against the Chiefs?

How about all of the punt returns for TD’s against the Vikings. It’s sick.

It’s not a bit.

I blame Longwell for the short kickoff in OT that basically handed the Saints a win. Plus any kick over 50 yds for him they don’t even try anymore or will be blocked for a TD like against the Cowboys & 49ers.

Gary Anderson, well that’s all you need to say.

Just because I don’t dig the kicking game doesn’t mean other Vikings fans can like Kluwe or Longwell. It’s just personally I feel both have cost the Vikings.

22. To all Miami fans clamoring for Garrard, none of these QB’s is going to turn it around for you, but at least with Brodie you might get to see his wifes mounds of joy at the beach in a skimpy bikini.

23. cincybert says:Oct 5, 2011 11:11 AM

The Bengals bring in a former 49er every Tuesday simply out of habit.
    ___________________________________

You’ve heard of coaching trees, here is the castoff players tree:

Dallas castoffs go to Chicago
    Chicago castoffs go to Minnesota
    San Franciso castoffs go to Cincinnati
    Cincinnati castoffs go up the river.

24. vikesfansteve says:
    Oct 5, 2011 2:29 PM
    You didn’t see him whiff that tackle against the Chiefs?

How about all of the punt returns for TD’s against the Vikings. It’s sick.

It’s not a bit.

Gary Anderson, well that’s all you need to say.

______________

Since the start of the 2009 season, the Vikings have allowed two punt return touchdowns. In that same timeframe, Longwell has made 50 out of 53 field goal attempts (94.3%).

Each has probably made mistakes that have cost the Vikings, but what player hasn’t? Adrian Peterson fumbled a handoff at the 5-yard line before halftime in that Saints game. Do you hate him too? If you’re going to hate players who make mistakes, you’re going to hate the whole team. Please change your name to vikeshatersteve.

25. vikesfansteve says:
    Oct 5, 2011 2:29 PM

Gary Anderson, well that’s all you need to say.

__________

I heard the snap was high…

26. Vikings have the most idiotic and abnoxious rivals in the NFL. Not going to name names but it is pretty obvious who they are. Vikings are bringing in a left footed punter to prepare for the Cardinals left footed punter.

Don’t get me wrong, that isn’t obvious just from reading the name. But you should know that football coaches are going to have some kind of reason for bringing in a punter randomly.

You guys are like monkeys in a zoo screaming and making grunting noises whenever something happens. Please leave the football talk to people with some sense.

27. This is a clear indication by the Vikings they are sticking with McNabb under center. With him at QB in this offense you need to have the best possible punter and they know it.

28. What Canadian Viking fan said – all you brazen Fraizer bashers sure look like fools now, don’t you?

29. Someone actually said Kluwe is about the only reason to pay attention to the vikings right now.

If I had a quarter for every time I have said “Thank goodness for DVR, I just missed that Kluwe punt” Well I wouldnt have any quarters but at least there is one person who thinks the punt is the most exciting play in football.

Some of you actually take cues as to whether a person is a good coach or not by who is brought in for Tuesday tryouts. Please quit commenting if you are that rediculous. These tryouts mean almost nothing.