Cooley says he was joking about Romo

Redskins tight end Cooley runs with the ball after making the catch as Cowboys linebacker James chases in Arlington, Texas Reuters

If it wasn’t already clear that Redskins tight end Chris Cooley was joking when he said on Monday that Cooley took pleasure in Tony Romo’s Week Four choke job, Cooley says that he indeed was joking.

There’s no personal thing with Tony Romo,” Cooley said on a podcast with Jimmy Traina of SI.com, via Rich Tandler of CSNWashington.com.  “I do a radio show with Chad Dukes and LaVar Arrington [on 106.7 The Fan] every Monday and we joke around and we have some fun and they ask me questions.  People are just surprised when I talk like a regular person, I guess.”

And a regular person who plays for the Redskins naturally would be glad to see the Cowboys blow the biggest lead they’ve ever blown.

“They said, ‘Did you like watching them choke?’  And I said of course I like watching them choke,” Cooley said.  “The biggest thing is, they beat us last week.  So, obviously.  But I still enjoyed that the Cowboys lost.

“I play for the Washington Redskins.  I don’t see why anyone would think that I wouldn’t enjoy that.”

It’s just as natural for some to take issue with Cooley’s candor, even though we don’t have any problem with it.  Talk like that spices up the game, making the ultimate reality show even more, um, real.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
37 Responses to “Cooley says he was joking about Romo”
  1. capslockkey says: Oct 5, 2011 3:46 PM

No kidding? Doesn’t take a PhD to figure out the guy was speaking tongue in cheek.

2. Mr. Super-Cool Awesome says: Oct 5, 2011 3:49 PM

Why do the comments made by the 2nd string TE on a 8-8 (at best) team matter?

That choke artist beat your team last week with 2 busted ribs and a jacked up lung.

What does that say about you and your team, Chris?

3. ishoulbeagm says: Oct 5, 2011 3:51 PM

He is supposed to!

4. 4thefan says: Oct 5, 2011 3:56 PM

Cooley was just being sarcastic yesterday…Media takes it out of hand when it comes to that star..

5. bigjdve says: Oct 5, 2011 3:57 PM

I guess people are so used to athletes being less than articulate. So one that actually has a good sense of humor or sarcasm is in a world of hurt.

Personally speaking, I like having a player on my team talk about liking to see other division teams choke, especially after they beat us when we choked.

6. The Phantom Stranger says: Oct 5, 2011 3:59 PM

But God forbid that Brett Favre wouldn’t worship the ground Aaron Rodgers walks on in an interview.

7. jlat85 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:02 PM

“I play for the Washington Redskins.”

Is that a factual statement?

8. gassiusclay says: Oct 5, 2011 4:03 PM

Maybe the media needs to calm down stupid columns about what someone said on the radio. Im not saying that people aren’t accountable for their words, as you get paid more and are in the public eye, your words are free game…I’m just saying that reporting on what someone said, takes HOW they said things out of context. I heard a repeat of this interview with LaVarr and Chad, and I felt that it was completely playful. Maybe the media should be required to point out the levity or severity of the tone of an interview, before warping words to fit the ideas of the writer.

This will never happen, but I’m sick of how the media creates scandals out of nothing, just to get hits and sell papers.

9. wethog66 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:03 PM

As I said in the previous post on this topic, the LaVar and Dukes show is a joke (literally) and Cooley’s comments about Romo choking should of been taken that way. Yes I know some turds on here will take what anyone says literally, but those of us that are Skins fans know Cooley has a lot of fun on radio interviews and he likes to joke around.

It wasn’t a big deal when he said it, and it certainly isn’t a big deal now, but yes whatever drives traffic to this site I completely understand.

10. gmenhq says: Oct 5, 2011 4:07 PM

Why would anyone ask for clarification from Cooley whether he was seriously joking or not…

11. daysend564 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:08 PM

Even after his apology, he’s still the backup

12. cbell618 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:12 PM

4 Games 7 Catches 66 yards

13. Steeler's Will says: Oct 5, 2011 4:17 PM

Were his words taken out of context?

14. bhcpaul1989 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:17 PM

Thank god PFT doesn’t have a problem with it. Don’t know if I would sleep tonight if they did!

15. favreforever says: Oct 5, 2011 4:19 PM

Everyone lighten up. Just because Romo is short, swarthy, shiftless, unreliable, and Hispanic, shouldn’t mean you can’t make jokes about him. Let’s not get too P.C. here.

16. tombradyswig says: Oct 5, 2011 4:20 PM

No harm, no foul…. Romo is a joke and he knows it!!

17. gmenhq says: Oct 5, 2011 4:29 PM

even if he was serious — who cares! He probably DID love to see the Cowboys collapse. its a rival team in the division… what’s the big deal about his comments?

18. marvsleezy says: Oct 5, 2011 4:29 PM

What about where he says he wants to humiliate Romo in a cage match? Is that just normal talk by regular people?

I found it kind of odd, im not a Cowboys fan, but I havnt seen anything from Romo off the field that makes me want to physically assault the guy in a cage match, but thats just me.

19. sportsmediacritic says: Oct 5, 2011 4:41 PM

If TO or Ochocinco said the same thing, the media would have blown it out of proportion, bashed TO or Ochocinco for causing a “distraction”, etc., etc. Funny how some players get a free pass, and others don’t.

20. therealsmiley says: Oct 5, 2011 4:43 PM

Lighten up Francis!! Hail!

21. howley1 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:58 PM

18-16.

22. east96st says: Oct 5, 2011 4:58 PM

Not saying he’s washed up at all, but even I, a diehard Giants fan, have to admit I would love this guy to get a shot in the booth for Monday Night Football. Of course, beating out Jaws and/or Gruden is not a difficult task, but I think Cooley in the booth would allow me to finally see a MNF game without the mute button on. He’s a little crazy, not full blown John Riggin crazy, and he does entertain.

23. Land Snark says: Oct 5, 2011 4:58 PM

Maybe Shanny should try Cooley out as a DB the way he’s backpedaling out of his statements.

24. butternutzz says: Oct 5, 2011 5:04 PM

I listened to interview and he was playing. People need to calm down, and stop pussifying football.

25. orakpownd says: Oct 5, 2011 5:11 PM

@Land Snark

That was a good one.

But all Skins fans know Cooley is one of the most regular guys in the NFL, and he likes to joke around. He would never want to fight a QB in the league. His knee is drained after every practice/game so you can see why he doesnt have that much production right now (though he is 19th all time receiving TE). Cooley is a very lighthearted jokster when it comes down to it.

26. hit2hurt says: Oct 5, 2011 5:13 PM

favreforever says:
    Oct 5, 2011 4:19 PM
    ————————————————–
    *Aaaaand, he’s this generations Brett Favre.. Which, based on your screen name, is apparently your idol.. Ironic, isn’t it?! LOL*

27. smellmyface says: Oct 5, 2011 5:23 PM

Wow the funny people are out today. The same ones talking about him being a 2nd string TE are the same ones that would be waiting in line to get a autograph.

And what does it mean that the Cowboys beat the Redskins?? You morons would rather the Cowboys beat the Redskins and choke away other games?

Im sure a real fan is happy being 3-1 and losing to the Cowboys than being 2-2

28. butternutzz says: Oct 5, 2011 5:40 PM

Boomer Esiason Can suck it Too

29. The Phantom Stranger says: Oct 5, 2011 5:54 PM

I wonder if vikesfansteve hates Chris Cooley because his name sounds a lot like Chris Kluwe.

30. howley1 says: Oct 5, 2011 7:07 PM

———————————-

It’s not an “either/or” proposition. It’s always pretty sweet to beat the Redskins no matter what else happens. If you’re gonna say the reverse is not true as well, it’s because the Cowboys have been beating the crap out of the Redskins for a long time. They’ve won 20 of the last 27 games!

There’s plenty of season left and the Cowboys are starting to get healthy. Can’t wait to see Bryant and Austin on the field at the same time since the first quarter of the first game. Scandrick is coming back so they’ll have their top 3 cornerbacks available for the first time this season. Jason Hatcher will be back after missing the Lions game. It’s amazing that they have managed to field the #6 offense and #4 defense with all the injuries they’ve had. If you’d told me that they would lose so many guys so early in the season before the season started, no way would I say they’d go 2-2 against the Jets, Redskins, 49ers and Lions.

31. happybunnyj says: Oct 5, 2011 9:46 PM

He’s an idiot, who always makes stupid remarks. I remind you of the quote where he said the McNabb trade would go down as one of the top 10 boneheaded trades in NLF history.

Somebody remind me–how did that work out for them?

32. philriverslovespenis says: Oct 6, 2011 12:05 AM

I listened to his interview on Rome’s show today and he did not say he was joking about the choking part. He said he was joking about the cage match thing. He said he DID love seeing Romo choke, and that he loves seeing his NFCE rivals lose. He also defended (rightfully so IMO) his rite to hate those teams. He also said he’d be just as happy to see Eli or Vick choke.

33. jagerbmb says: Oct 6, 2011 1:26 AM

I hear an old man named Randy White will accept Cooleys invitation… Cooley is bigger, but Manster will whoop that azz.

Bring it Cooley…

34. jagerbmb says: Oct 6, 2011 1:27 AM

Can you beat a 60 year old Cooley???

35. dukemarc says: Oct 6, 2011 9:14 AM

Cooley says he was joking about Romo

———————————————-

….and then promptly sprained his knee while backtracking.

36. dikshuttle says: Oct 6, 2011 12:18 PM

Sad part is – Cooley is one of the few guys on the squad who seems to give a shti that it’s Dallas!

Even the HC downplayed the rivalry between the NFL’s two top economies.

Horrible.

37. andyb053 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:01 AM

Who cares if Cooley has had a slow start, is the 2nd best TE on his team, or only has 66 yards? How is that relevant at all? Is it a problem that a popular player with a scheduled radio interview said he was glad his teams biggest rival choked? I really don’t get what his less-than-stellar stats have to do with anything. I would LOVE for someone who has mentioned his subpar year to explain why that makes a difference. Do you need to be an NFL stud to have an opinion?