NFL will sell tickets to Super Bowl Media Day

Super Bowl XLV - Media Day Getty Images

Super Bowl Media Day has long been a circus, an event where NFL players hear marriage proposals from scantily clad women, get baited into arguments with sock puppets and field questions from interviewers dressed as superheroes. And now the NFL is letting fans inside the tent.

The league announced today that the NFL has decided for the first time to allow fans to attend Super Bowl Media Day, which will take place on Tuesday, January 31, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Fans will sit in the stands and watch members of the media interview players on the two Super Bowl teams on the field, and they’ll also get a chance to watch the two teams take their team pictures. Every fan will have a radio receiver that allows them to hear the audio of that day’s coverage from NFL Network.

There’s no word on how much tickets will cost, but they will be available through Ticketmaster and the Lucas Oil Stadium box office in early December.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
34 Responses to “NFL will sell tickets to Super Bowl Media Day”
  1. billinva says: Oct 5, 2011 4:58 PM

Just another money grab.

I hope Jerrah isn’t involved.

2. joelvis72 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:58 PM

What an innovative way to squeeze even more milk from a dry tit!

3. skoobyfl says: Oct 5, 2011 4:59 PM

I’ll be there as a Buffalo Bills fan enjoying my team’s success.

Shoutout to TBD, Scrappy is Skooby.

4. kd75 says: Oct 5, 2011 5:03 PM

If Super Bowl Media Day was being held in my living room, I’d throw everybody out.

Nothing substantive ever comes out of Media Day.

5. damnyoulinelliot says: Oct 5, 2011 5:03 PM

If it was at Cowboys Stadium, fans wouldn’t have any temporary place to sit.

6. cakemixa says: Oct 5, 2011 5:04 PM

I’ll be there as my Cowboys will be in the SB this year!

7. dolphandan says: Oct 5, 2011 5:06 PM

I’m sure the ticket prices will be very reasonable… If you’re in the top 1%.

8. jobotjones says: Oct 5, 2011 5:07 PM

Anything to make a buck…

9. creese76 says: Oct 5, 2011 5:07 PM

Next thing you know they will be blacking it out because of lack of ticket sales!

10. trbowman says: Oct 5, 2011 5:08 PM

Selling tickets to the Patriots/Packers media day!

#parity

11. 92and94and51and56 says: Oct 5, 2011 5:09 PM

Because nothing’s more exciting than watching celebrities talk to reporters about an event you pretty much can’t get into.

Signed,
    The Loser who Camps out for the Academy Awards Red Carpet.

12. damnyoulinelliot says: Oct 5, 2011 5:11 PM

Now we know if the Jets make it to the Super Bowl, Inez Sainz will be there.

13. achap39 says: Oct 5, 2011 5:12 PM

As someone who’s been to Media Day as a member of the working media, this will be an unmitigated disaster. It’s bad enough that legitimate reporters have to sit through tech bloggers asking players “so what’s on your iPod playlist?” and numerous other media outlets that have no business being there.

Great idea. Let’s invite these sucker fans in who will pay to sit and watch people mill around for 4 hours. Nah, that won’t get in the way of the working press at all.

14. kevinfromphilly says: Oct 5, 2011 5:13 PM

My God, the NFL would sell tickets to the locker room showers if they could get away with it.

15. herlies says: Oct 5, 2011 5:14 PM

Selling exclusive access at a huge event is nothing new.

Ever been to a Super Bowl?

Take solace in knowing that half of those tickets will be paid for by all of the amateur media turds who are turned away every year.

16. wetpaperbag2 says: Oct 5, 2011 5:18 PM

Goodell needs to worry more about getting the seats/tickets for THE ACTUAL GAME corrected before selling tickets to a meaningless farce called Super Bowl Media Day.

Charging fans to WATCH a press conference and WATCH a team photo session? Are you serious? How about making that access FREE for the fans who pay 1/2 to the full amount of their monthly mortgage/rent for that paid seat? How about GIVING US FANS SOMETHING OTHER THAN ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TAKE TAKE EVEN MORE MONEY AWAY FROM US?

17. favreforever says: Oct 5, 2011 5:24 PM

“Get baited into arguments with a sock puppet”? My coiled up dog poop on your lawn is smarter than that.

18. favreforever says: Oct 5, 2011 5:26 PM

Sensitive to the ruckus she was causing, Inez Sainz showed wearing a pup tent to hide her assets.

19. jodave5 says: Oct 5, 2011 5:35 PM

Surely my subscription to NFL Sunday Ticket gets me this bad boy too, right?

20. dayumyou says: Oct 5, 2011 5:38 PM

kevinfromphilly says:
    Oct 5, 2011 5:13 PM

____________________________

OMG…True Dat….LOL!!!

21. 808raiderinparadise says: Oct 5, 2011 5:48 PM

Now that I know this I can start trying to come up with the $1,200.00 ahead of time.

22. dbellina says: Oct 5, 2011 6:12 PM

At least $1000. That’s my guess.

23. kyleortonsarm says: Oct 5, 2011 6:24 PM

What an idiotic thing to do. Maybe their plan is to single out who the idiots are by keeping track of who pays to go to this.

24. dirtdawg55 says: Oct 5, 2011 6:36 PM

The NFL also announced they will now sell tickets for people to attend all future NFL news conferences where they announce things like how they will be charging fans to attend more NFL-related events, no matter how inane.

25. raider23mike says: Oct 5, 2011 6:57 PM

I’m in Lafayette,IN. Can’t wait to go and see my Raiders wearing their white jersey on media day.

26. kwoodc says: Oct 5, 2011 7:35 PM

I would pay for tickets to Ines Sainz…I would also wear my Crocs.

Boom Roasted.

27. Gordon says: Oct 5, 2011 7:44 PM

I’m sure this will end well.

28. rollerino1 says: Oct 5, 2011 9:24 PM

kevinfromphilly says:
    Oct 5, 2011 5:13 PM
    ===============================

So……….are they?

29. upyoursnfu says: Oct 5, 2011 9:35 PM

Anything to make an extra buck…. I guess these Cowboys fans who think the Cowboys will make it are going to be doing their comedy routine?

30. broncobillie says: Oct 5, 2011 9:46 PM

Next up: Superbowl moves to Pay Per View. If suckers pay to see Media Day, anything’s possible…

rollerino1 – good one!

31. FinFan68 says: Oct 5, 2011 10:59 PM

That is absurd. Are they going to sell tickets to watch the players eat at a pre-game buffet next? What moron thinks that this will go over well with “normal” fans?

It almost seems like the agenda is to cheapen the game itself in every way possible. They are doing a fabulous job.

I’m sure there are idiots that would actually purchase tickets. They are probably the same idiots who payed JJ $200 to watch the SB on a jumbotron in the parking lot.

32. Little Earthquake says: Oct 5, 2011 11:30 PM

“If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?”

33. stevenfbrackett says: Oct 6, 2011 2:02 AM

Bad, Bad, Bad idea.

People will be charged an absurd amount – if it is less than $100, I’d be shocked – and because they are being charged an absurd amount to see essentially nothing that can’t already be seen on TV, they will take it upon themselves to make a spectacle of themselves. Hey, they’ve gotta get their money’s worth, right? (So they think.)

Can’t you see it now — Dan Patrick will be interviewing Aaron Rodgers and some fool will disrupt the broadcast to proclaim his undying love for McLovin. While another chimes in about how much “Sequin” sucks.

Or Jim Rome will be interviewing Tom Brady and some ass will start a “We want Giselle!” chant.

34. virusgvr says: Oct 6, 2011 2:32 AM

This is seriously a joke. I really have to wonder how much will fans shell out to really go to this thing and watch someone sit at a table and answer lame questions. Watching or listening to Media day is about as useless as watching the 3rd day of the combine. It doesn’t matter!!! I am going to try to actually remember to check ticketmaster in December and see actually how much this event is. I know some of you are putting up some outlandish numbers for cost. On a serious note, I would say….. 79.99 a person, and don’t forget parking at 15-25 a car too.