Orakpo named NFC defensive player of the week

Kevin Kolb, Brian Orakpo AP

The Washington Redskins have gotten off to an unexpected 3-1 start.  Far less surprising is the fact that linebacker Brian Orakpo is once again standing out.

Orakpo has been named the NFC defensive player of the week after the team’s 17-10 win over the Rams.

In the game, Orakpo had five tackles (four solo), two tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, and three quarterback hits.

Orakpo now has 23 career sacks in two-plus NFL seasons.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
48 Responses to “Orakpo named NFC defensive player of the week”
  1. Fan On Fire_Maurice Barksdale says: Oct 5, 2011 10:53 AM

Orakpo is turning into a monster, and now the Skins have a bookend on the other side with Ryan Kerrigan. Watch out QB’s!

2. localbandhero says: Oct 5, 2011 10:57 AM

DWare is better.

3. sadskinsfan89 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:06 AM

Him and kerrigan are going to be special. Love it

4. geemoney713 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:08 AM

Orakpo and Kerrigan are just battling every week to see who can have a pro bowl caliber week.

5. mataug says: Oct 5, 2011 11:09 AM

Orakpo and Kerrigan, aaah life looks good for the next decade or so in terms of pass rush
    now the QB play…

6. sharkweek21 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:14 AM

Everyone tried to get away from Kerrigan and forgot what was waiting on the other side.

7. brownwood26 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:15 AM

Dude is a beast…this is the first of many to come. HTTR!!!

8. hit2hurt says: Oct 5, 2011 11:20 AM

Doesn’t the picture in this article look a LOT like the Haloti Ngata picture of him hitting Mark Sanchez? Yet no outcry by PFT about whether it should’ve been a penalty?

(And for the record, i’m not a Jets fan.. not in the least!)

9. jmanorgc says: Oct 5, 2011 11:25 AM

Another award for the skins! Solid draft pick on the defensive side last couple of years! These 2 are and will continue to be

10. pgcubano says: Oct 5, 2011 11:26 AM

this redskins defense is foreal this year

11. ham1 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:26 AM

Salt and Pepper seasoning the meat.

12. phillyb6 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:27 AM

One of the only guys Vinny can say “i told you so” about.

13. butternutzz says: Oct 5, 2011 11:32 AM

(And for the record, i’m not a Jets fan.. not in the least!)

Not at all. Ngata lowered his head and speared him. This is how you are taught to hit in pee wee football. Face up and drive. HAIL

14. celly84 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:33 AM

i thought Michael Bennett on the Bucs had a better week, but maybe i’m just a homer for my team….

…or maybe its just the media not showing the Bucs any love again.

I’m glad the Bucs won, but it was kind of like a lose-lose situation for us. We win: “oh, they should have beaten a Peyton Manning-less team.” We lose: “wow, the Bucs just lost to a Peyton Manning-less team”

whatever, it is what it is. i guess we won’t get any love til we actually make the playoffs and make a serious run.

Go Bucs!

15. karlpilkington says: Oct 5, 2011 11:34 AM

Wait.. What.. Something is wrong here… No mention of Romo and his special ribs and punctured lung. Nice job RAK!
    HTTR

16. visible4 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:35 AM

Total Stud. In addition to all the sacks in his brief career, I know at one point last season he was leading the league in holding calls too. It’s funny to think that Aaron Curry was the only “safe” LB pick in that draft, which included Orakpo, Mathews, Cushing, Laurinaitis, and even Levy for the Lions.

17. orakpownd says: Oct 5, 2011 11:46 AM

15 sacks leading the league by the Skins. Its funny how 31 other teams don’t notice that we are destroying defensive stats.

18. mattyk72 says: Oct 5, 2011 11:56 AM

The Skins have a special duo in Orakpo & Kerrigan. It’s going to be fun watching these guys wreak havoc on the NFL for years to come.

19. howley1 says: Oct 5, 2011 12:02 PM

“I don’t believe I’ve ever met this Orakpo person” – Tony Romo

20. boysroll says: Oct 5, 2011 12:07 PM

Is it true this guy has zero sacks in 15 NFC East games? that to me is no monster if true and tells you he plays well against the worst teams in the league…rams etc….

this guy is no D Ware and bet he couldn’t play with a fractured rib…LMAO.

21. axespray says: Oct 5, 2011 12:08 PM

Orakpo is a beast and now he finally gets some help (in kerrigan/cofield)… That Redskins Pass Rush is SCARY Good….

22. skins23 says: Oct 5, 2011 12:15 PM

boysroll says:Oct 5, 2011 12:07 PM

this guy is no D Ware and bet he couldn’t play with a fractured rib…LMAO.
    _______________________________

Probably because he’s too busy being held by Alex Barron.

13-7.

23. ham1 says: Oct 5, 2011 12:27 PM

“The holding call was on Alex Barron, who is always near the top of the league in penalty calls and had a whopping three holding calls whistled against him in the final 31 minutes of Sunday night’s game. He basically tackled Brian Orakpo and the flag was well deserved. There’s no controversy here, just stupidity.”

24. to147 says: Oct 5, 2011 12:38 PM

Isn’t this picture the classic helmet in to the back of a defenseless QB the league is trying to prevent?

25. therealsmiley says: Oct 5, 2011 12:40 PM

Boysrule – Can you girls play football while menstruating? That means while you’re Aunt Flow is in town. LYAO. Hail!

26. pgcubano says: Oct 5, 2011 12:50 PM

could u idiots stop comparing orakpo to ware..who cares..he’ s a beast..and all u ware supporters..how many times did u see him jump offsides when we were in lil D two weeks ago.

27. ocho says: Oct 5, 2011 12:50 PM

boysroll says:
    Oct 5, 2011 12:07 PM

==========

Lets see 6 divison games per yr (2 yrs) + the 2 2011 divisional games…and you still came up w/ 15 somehow…that to me is no intelligent person and tells you the IQ of boysroll

28. boon613 says: Oct 5, 2011 12:52 PM

Man, did the Cowgirls ever look awful in the last half against the Lions. Tony Romo in particular. The Cowgirls beat the Redskins, I’ll give them that. The Redskins are still sitting atop the NFC East, though. I’ll give credit where credit is due, Demarcus Ware is a beast. Too bad the Cowgirls are going to finish 8-8 at best.

29. RussianBreadMaker says: Oct 5, 2011 1:06 PM

boysroll definitely rubs one out to a picture of Tony Romo before he goes to bed every night..

30. docboss says: Oct 5, 2011 1:10 PM

With all due respect to Orakpo, who is the best DE/OLB in the NFC East, getting the award in the week he played the Rams is “damning with faint praise”. Perhaps a sack or tackle against the Rams should count only 1/2. Let’s see. Bad O-line, seven step drop, receivers that cannot separate, no run game and a second year q-back. “Coach, put me in!!!” All defensive stats against the Rams should be disregarded for 2011.

31. keycitethis says: Oct 5, 2011 1:11 PM

Orakigan…Orakpo & Kerrigan are a dynamic duo. The future is bright for the Redskins D.

32. phillychzstk2012 says: Oct 5, 2011 1:11 PM

uhhh Jason Babin? he has 7.0 on the year.. and he had 3.0 last week.

33. phillychzstk2012 says: Oct 5, 2011 1:16 PM

————————————————-

CORRECTION…The Eagles have 15 as well (only rushing 4). I realize im gonna get 400 thumbs down (booohoooo) but you know im right.

34. bonerchamp says: Oct 5, 2011 1:24 PM

Only the Bills would have drafted Maybin over Orakpo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CURSE YOU JAURON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. trevorthej says: Oct 5, 2011 2:13 PM

Kerrakpo-combo is fun to watch!

36. no1billsfan says: Oct 5, 2011 2:35 PM

Boy, am I glad Dick Jauron chose Aaron Maybin over Brian Orakpo!

37. rufustfireflyjr says: Oct 5, 2011 2:53 PM

Sorry, doc, but Ware, not Orakpo, is the best OLB/DE in the NFC East. And I’m a ‘Skins’ fan.

38. Lev says: Oct 5, 2011 2:56 PM

^^How does that pertain to Brian Orakpo?? Oh yeah, and hit the Caps Loc key to switch it off. Makes you not seem quite so dumb.

Hail

39. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 5, 2011 3:02 PM

Orakpo and Kerrigan are doing great. Hopefully they continue to learn and improve, and stay healthy and stay Redskins…..Now about this Rex…..

40. hendawg21 says: Oct 5, 2011 3:26 PM

Ok who at PFT got offended about me telling the truth about the cowgirls and removed my comments???? Guess the truth hurts, but that’s ok guess boysroll must work with/at PFT HQ since his statements remain and mine have been removed.

41. jmanorgc says: Oct 5, 2011 3:29 PM

Orakpo #’s could be even better if he wasn’t held every time he rushes the QB! I swear he wasn’t held as a child and offensive lineman know this so they are giving him TLC!

I bet he draws the most holding calls in the NFC and that’s a sign of pure respect!

42. gassiusclay says: Oct 5, 2011 3:42 PM

@ philyb6, you wrote:
    One of the only guys Vinny can say “i told you so” about.

I wish I could give any iota of credit to Vinny, considering he destroyed my team for many years…I would like to agree with you. However, if you remember that draft, for some reason, Orakpo fell to us @ the #13 when he was projected to go top 5. A monkey in the same position would have made that pick.

43. wethog66 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:24 PM

@gassiusclay

“my team”? Are you LiL Danny Snyder in disquise? Unless you are, lay off the “my” buisness. Makes you sound stupid.

As a Skins fan this is nice to read, but Orakpo still has a ways to go to be considered in the Ware category. Right now Orakpo has one signature move (outside speed rush), the great ones like Ware have at least 2. Until Orakpo perfects a second rush move he will never live up to his potential. I hope the addition of Kerrigan will light a fire under Orakpo’s butt.

Salt and Pepper, seasoning the Meat!

44. howley1 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:27 PM

Orakpo has 0.5 sacks in 14 career games against other NFCE teams. That half a sack came against the Eagles.

Demarcus Ware has 31.5 sacks in 32 games played against other NFCE teams. The distribution is pretty even. 10 against the Giants and Redskins, 10.5 against the Eagles. 53.5 sacks in 68 games against everybody else, obviously.

45. howley1 says: Oct 5, 2011 4:51 PM

My bad math, that’s 11.5 sacks against the Eagles.

46. gassiusclay says: Oct 5, 2011 5:55 PM

@ wethogg66

Yes, “it is my team.” Born and raised in DC, I have no other football team to call my own.

Have you ever seen Braveheart? Well, in case you have:

Stephen: “Stephen is my name, I’m the most wanted man on my island, except I am not on my island…woes the pity.”

Hamish: “do you mean Ireland.”

Stephen: “yeah, its mine.”

and yes, I am a mad man.

47. dawkattack says: Oct 5, 2011 8:10 PM

Wow Babin’s Stats were better

48. footballfanman says: Oct 5, 2011 9:29 PM

I have no problem with people saying “my team” what are you supposed to say “the team I like . . .”?