T.O. says he’ll be ready soon

terrell-owens Getty Images

Terrell Owens is continuing to insist that he’ll play in the NFL this year, saying in an interview Wednesday that he thinks he’ll be 100 percent healthy in “a month or less.”

Owens told ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith that despite suffering a torn ACL in April, he’ll be good to go for the second half of the regular season.

“I’m not gonna waste your time, so I wouldn’t expect you to waste my time,” Owens said. “When I step on the field, you know what you gonna get.”

The question is whether there’s an NFL team that will want to bring Owens in for half a season. Owens wasn’t exactly a hot commodity in free agency last year before signing with the Bengals, and now he’s a year older and coming off a serious injury.

But Owens is insisting that if teams bring him in for a workout, they’ll see that the injury isn’t slowing him down.

“The knee is great,” Owens said. “I’ve just come from Seoul, Korea, where I had the stem cell procedure.”

Owens confirmed that he has financial concerns, saying, “I have a financial advisor who has misappropriated funds.” That helps to explain why Owens wants to get back on the field soon. What remains to be seen is whether there’s an NFL team that wants Owens to play as badly as he wants to play.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
60 Responses to “T.O. says he’ll be ready soon”
  1. joetoronto says: Oct 6, 2011 6:46 AM

You’re just not worth the trouble anymore, T.O.

2. tv426 says: Oct 6, 2011 6:49 AM

Ready for what, another bad reality show?

Please go away!

3. imasturbate says: Oct 6, 2011 7:02 AM

If anyone saw the way he announced he’ll be back and still picks him up has got to be out of there mind. He gets his family together (he’s wearing cheap sweat pants and a kmart shirt) and Stephen A Smith asks him why he’s gathered everyone together and he says his family has always been there to support him and blah blah blah…then announces he’s retiring with a tear in his eye then he turns around and says I’m just messing with you…I’m coming back and I’ll be ready in less than a month.

The guy clearly has issues.

4. chatttty says: Oct 6, 2011 7:04 AM

the UFL will gladly take T.O.

5. bmorehomeofthewire says: Oct 6, 2011 7:05 AM

T.O hang it up you done, the way you treated teammates and teams now you are begging for a shot. The financial Advisor didn’t misappropriate anything, you just didn’t do your job of making sure your money was manage properly.

6. skoobyfl says: Oct 6, 2011 7:10 AM

I think the Bills could use a guy like this, another target.

Shout out to TBD, Scrappy is Skooby.

7. cup1981 says: Oct 6, 2011 7:17 AM

“When I step on the field, you know what you gonna get.” Yup, and that’s why no one is signing you. Time to just fade away T.O., just fade away…

8. rdrs68 says: Oct 6, 2011 7:18 AM

I am sure some team is eagerly awaiting his toxic presence.

9. fin72 says: Oct 6, 2011 7:20 AM

This guy deserves to suffer for what a pain in the ass he’s been to everybody.

10. brownsfn says: Oct 6, 2011 7:27 AM

Nobody wants you dude…NOBODY…

11. hammer7329 says: Oct 6, 2011 7:27 AM

But the agent-Drew Rosenhaus-said TO would be ready for the opening of the NFL season. So Drew lied ? Say it isn’t so.

12. omnipresentfan says: Oct 6, 2011 7:35 AM

Dear T.O.,

We had forgotten about your existence. We don’t miss your old behind. The NFL has enough problems without you. Sorry you’re going broke. Get a job at… you know….

Sincerely,

PFT users

13. jacunn2000 says: Oct 6, 2011 7:39 AM

I would rather pay money to see this jerk broke and on the streets than pay to watch him catch a ball.

14. str82dvd says: Oct 6, 2011 7:40 AM

The best thing that can be said for him is that in his diminishing skills, he has found some humility. Still, he spent 137K on earrings during the twilight of his career, when anyone with functional intelligence would be thinking “nest egg.”

15. kingmj4891 says: Oct 6, 2011 7:40 AM

49ers or Texans?????????????

16. robigd says: Oct 6, 2011 7:47 AM

The ability to leave comments is not a good feature. The internet has facilitated the means for people to he coldhearted without consequence. That is unfortunate and a big part of what is wrong with our world.

17. primetime6 says: Oct 6, 2011 7:53 AM

Why do people hate this guy?… for all the losers in the NFL this guy has never once been in trouble with the law… and in the past few years has not been a problem on the field… if he’s healthy the guy can still play, better than Plax I bet.

18. worldsgreatest says: Oct 6, 2011 7:57 AM

Did he really fake his own retirement presser? That is so awesome, and hilarious. Any team that doesnt take a flyer on one of the best receivers of all time is dumb. Especially if youre a contender late in the season and hes healthy and cheap

19. tatum064 says: Oct 6, 2011 7:59 AM

Only team really in need of T.O. is …. maybe, just maybe Tennessee, now that Kenny Britt is out for the season. Only a small market team, and it wouldnt be likely Stan Kronke of the Rams would take a chance on T.O., although they are hurting BADLY…Greg Salas is horrific.

20. quittsburghstoolers says: Oct 6, 2011 8:01 AM

“T.O. says he’ll be ready soon”?

—————————————————

Ready for what? The old folks home?

21. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Oct 6, 2011 8:04 AM

How the heck does he have financial concerns? Is he footing the bill for his reality shows?

22. pfii63 says: Oct 6, 2011 8:16 AM

“When I step on the field, you know what you gonna get.”

Yup. A bad attitude and diminishing skills.

23. jw731 says: Oct 6, 2011 8:40 AM

Oh look…..Either TO or Rosenhaus gave Screamin Stephen a bag of cheeze doodles for an exclusive interview….BSPN journalism at it’s finest

24. vernhh says: Oct 6, 2011 8:42 AM

He’s like a hemeroid, only more embarassing.

Wish there was an ointment to make this pain in the butt go away.

25. orakpownd says: Oct 6, 2011 8:43 AM

How do these players do this? TO if I made your type of money….I can honestly say I would be set for life and I would have no financial woes. Its mind boggling.

26. ajvasel says: Oct 6, 2011 8:43 AM

How could a team with as woeful a receving corps as the Rams not take a look at a player like TO?

27. ghostofchrishenry says: Oct 6, 2011 8:45 AM

All you people are haters T.O. might be poison but he wasn’t that controversial with the bills that one year, and his stats last year with the bengals nearly 1,000 yards and 9 tds. Every team should be jumping at the opportunity to have him on their team the man’s a beast.

28. mlb19 says: Oct 6, 2011 8:48 AM

T.O. was the best receiver on the 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys and was probably the only productive player on the Bengals without much dusruption to the Cowboys, Bills and Bengals. I dont understand why people still pin him as the bad guy. My guess is no one will sign him even though he would be the best receiver on a lot of teams.

29. Nikhil Balakumar says: Oct 6, 2011 8:51 AM

how stupid can these guys be to get in “financia trouble” minimum salary is 250K a year

30. redrifle14 says: Oct 6, 2011 8:56 AM

The Jags will take him. Their WR corps are so terrible that all their starters will be on other teams practice squad next yr! LOL!!!!!!

31. mkbane says: Oct 6, 2011 8:56 AM

Is his financial advisor named Terrell Owens?

32. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Oct 6, 2011 9:03 AM

T.O. sounds like he’s revealing a great secret: Seoul is in a place called South Korea. Sorry dude, we already knew. We know you just got the news, but..

One would have thought his good friend Drew would have hooked him up with some honest money men, no? Perhaps he can ask his good bud (next question) for a loan.

In regard to the league, the only thing he’s right about is that he’s not gonna waste their time, and they’re not gonna waste his…..

33. rmzthefirst says: Oct 6, 2011 9:03 AM

Ummm, Blaine Gabbert needs T.O. here in JAX…! Any F.A. is better that what the Jags have now..!

34. patpatriotagain says: Oct 6, 2011 9:04 AM

I bet that the “stem cell procedure” utilizes david ortiz’ “bitamins and suppamints”.

35. edjy71 says: Oct 6, 2011 9:05 AM

Am I the only one who thinks it’s pathetic that a guy that has been collecting a paycheck as a high priced NFL player for 15 years is broke?

It doesn’t bode well for his post NFL life.

36. benwantsababyruth says: Oct 6, 2011 9:06 AM

Damn I was hoping Stephen A Smith had crawled under a rock somewhere and was never coming out

37. gumbogumbo says: Oct 6, 2011 9:12 AM

Who?? TO is DONE!

38. carnboys says: Oct 6, 2011 9:24 AM

Note: To the Baltimore Ravens Ownership:

As a Raven Fan and season ticket holder. Please don’t pick up T.O. He is not a team player.

39. drexelvol says: Oct 6, 2011 9:25 AM

I’m glad his knee will be 100% for watching Judge Judy.

40. carnboys says: Oct 6, 2011 9:26 AM

How about the steelers pick him up. They Like sticking with the older players. Then make up excuses. This will be a perfect excuse.

41. orbearider66 says: Oct 6, 2011 9:30 AM

If he has financial issues, how can he possibly afford to travel to South Korea and pay for stem cell treatments?

@kingmj4891: It’ll have to be the Texans because there is no way the 49ers would ever bring this guy back. They’d put their mascot in the line up before re-signing Owens. He didn’t just burn the bridge when he forced his way out of the Niners, he blew the thing up.

@mlb19: Talent-wise there is no doubt that he WAS talented. Unfortunately, that talent was attached to that waste of space he calls a brain. He was an absolute locker room cancer that caused more problems that his talent solved. Ask yourself this … if he is so damn talented, why is he no longer with any of those teams and why don’t any of those teams want him back? He’s just not worth it.

42. fishercob says: Oct 6, 2011 9:45 AM

He’ll finish the season with better numbers than Ochocinco.

43. Pacific NW Mark says: Oct 6, 2011 9:54 AM

Assuming he can play at or near the level he did last year, I can think of half a dozen teams where he could be a starter.

Most (not all, but most) of TO’s a-hole antics came earlier in his career, and for all of the drama, he has delivered solid production for each of the team’s he’s played with.

I’d love to see him in a Bears uniform. But that’s just me.

44. carranomx says: Oct 6, 2011 9:58 AM

I read that within 3 years of being out of the NFL, most players are broke and bankrupt. I guess Terrell couldn’t wait.

The worst part is when you consider how much money he has earned over his career to find out he is broke is just sickening.

45. jvibottomline says: Oct 6, 2011 10:01 AM

Just another example of an idiot who grew up dirt poor and got some money in his pocket and thought he was the man. Millionaires spending like they are Billionaires and now dead broke. LOSER!

46. marvsleezy says: Oct 6, 2011 10:02 AM

Like it or not, if the Bills are still in contention for the playoffs after the next month AND have another WR injury TO could make the difference between the playoffs and sitting home for another year.

How much damage could he do, this guy already played with all these teammates before.

47. beelicker says: Oct 6, 2011 10:02 AM

TO compiled some stats for the Bengals last season but he did NOT play “winning football”.

Wide open on a little swing pass & he’s looking upfield at the 20 YAC ahead of him & NOT at the ball incoming & OOPS drops the catch.

Great (not that difficult) sideline catch 15 yards downfield on 3rd down & OOOPS one foot out of bounds.

Palmer throws to a spot at the 10 where Jumbo-sized TO was SUPPOSED to be in position to shield anyone else from the ball but OOOOPS midget Raven DB sure knows where this spot is for a pick-6 while TO stands elsewhere watching the play develop …. “sorry coach, still learning the patterns & you can just forget about me playing any defense for you”.

48. steelerfan999 says: Oct 6, 2011 10:13 AM

GET IN LINE BEHIND TIKI BARBER.

49. kkickflip says: Oct 6, 2011 11:05 AM

T.O. still has a year or two left in him. He did get a lot done last year with the Bengals and he seems to have grown up some. His reputation is his biggest problem and I think he’s put those days behind him. Some team with a need for Wide Receiver help will go his way. I’m not sure how good he’ll be with his bum knee but he’s always worked hard and been in good condition.

50. chocolatebaconbutter says: Oct 6, 2011 11:25 AM

I’ve got an open spot in my Friday night park league for him. I’d be happy to have you Terrell. We’re pretty set at WR though, so I’ll have to play you out of the slot.

51. chocolatebaconbutter says: Oct 6, 2011 11:26 AM

Forgot to add above. No room for Tiki though. Fat Andy is a little better fit for our team at RB. Sorry Tiki. Stop calling me.

52. chikosky1 says: Oct 6, 2011 11:31 AM

T.O. is still a VERY productive wide receiver. Last year he was only 17 yards from having a 1000 yard season. He has matured TREMENDOUSLY in the past few years and would be a great asset to whatever team picks him up. And as kkickflip said, his reputation is his BIGGEST problem and people don’t seem to realize that those days are far behind him. I guess some of these ASS WIPES don’t know how to forgive and forget. He has always had the work ethic of Michael Irvin and when his health permits, will be as productive as quite a few receivers in the NFL. God bless you T.O. and I bid you God’s speed.

53. laeaglefan says: Oct 6, 2011 11:38 AM

I’d hate to think that T.O. would have to go out and get a “real job”. I still expect to see him on Dancing With The Stars in the not too distant future….since his knee will be healed. If mean, if Ron Artest can be on that show, why not T.O.?

54. ninerdude915 says: Oct 6, 2011 11:52 AM

should retire a niner

55. asublimeday says: Oct 6, 2011 12:12 PM

I usually find these “trade for this guy!” and “my team could really use this guy!” comments annoying.

But in this case, it’s so true I can’t resist:

The bears need a big receiver so, so bad. Please take a look at to, Jerry.

56. asublimeday says: Oct 6, 2011 12:16 PM

———-

So true. Sociopathic Vick is somehow the feel good story of the millennium, and TO not being able to get along with mcnabb and Garcia (something plenty of people haven’t been able to do since) is unforgivable?

Give me a break.

57. righteousaviator says: Oct 6, 2011 1:01 PM

I used to sincerely dislike this guy- arrogant, obnoxious, cry baby. Now however, I think he actually has grown up. He is capable of great play and I can honestly say I’d like to see him on my team (although I do retch just a tiny bit at the thought).

58. blackdonnelly says: Oct 6, 2011 2:12 PM

I have to admit he’s toned down the diva act – at least for last year anyway. As much as I hate to say this, some team will pick him up. I intend on saving my popcorn for good movie watching however.

59. twesty85 says: Oct 6, 2011 3:23 PM

the vikings will take him hahahah a little mcnabb t.o. reunion

60. lgwelsh1 says: Oct 7, 2011 11:55 AM

He will still be the best receiver on over HALF the teams in the league. NO doubt he will be picked up.

The NFL is a business, never forget that. He can still play at a high level and make plays.