Teammates rip Dan Hampton for snubbing White House invitation

090810_danhampton AP

President Obama will honor the Super Bowl-winning 1985 Bears at the White House today, and one player, Dan Hampton, has said he doesn’t like Obama and won’t attend.

That doesn’t sit well with some of Hampton’s teammates.

Tim Wrightman, who played tight end on the 1985 Bears, posted a message on Facebook saying that being honored at the White House is an opportunity he would never pass up, even though he writes, “Out of all the players from the ’85 Bears arriving on October 7th I would probably say I am the most conservative.”

Unlike Hampton, Wrightman believes that political differences can be put aside for an occasion like this.

“This is the Bears’ once in a lifetime opportunity that has been given a second chance,” Wrightman wrote. “Some people don’t realize our initial trip in 1986 was cancelled because of the Challenger space shuttle accident. I think it was a classy thing for Obama to right the misfortune of our team. Besides, the White House is not President Obama’s house it’s the people’s house.”

Wrightman also took a shot at Hampton complaining that his wife wasn’t invited to the White House ceremony, asking Hampton, “would you take the wife you had when we won or the newest one?”

Another teammate, Steve McMichael, also questioned Hampton’s decision.

“I don’t care who the president is,” McMichael said. “I don’t care what’s going on in the government, if I’m against a war or what. If you are somebody that the White House wants to honor, and you’re a citizen of this country, it behooves you to show up and look at it like an honor and a privilege. I told them I’m going to have bells on.”

Last year, when Hampton had to issue an apology for some thoughtless remarks he made on TV, he began his apology by saying, “I’m an idiot.” It appears that some of his teammates agree.

Permalink 109 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
109 Responses to “Teammates rip Dan Hampton for snubbing White House invitation”
  1. benh999 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:45 AM

Too bad he didn’t get a chance to snub Bush. We could be calling him a principled and enlightened individual.

2. therealsmiley says: Oct 7, 2011 8:45 AM

I agree with his self assessment. Hail!

3. souldogdave says: Oct 7, 2011 8:47 AM

He is showing his true colors, and they’re not red,white and blue.

4. arrogantathlete says: Oct 7, 2011 8:47 AM

Yeah it doesn’t matter who is tanking this economy while he parties like a rock star…you show up.

5. giantfan92 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:47 AM

Who cares??

6. bigcarguy1 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:49 AM

I agree mo matter what your politics if invited you go! Not too mention, how many opportunities will these guys all have to be together and celebrate one of the the best teams that the NFL has ever seen. So sad Walter can’t be here

7. ytsejamer1 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:50 AM

Well stated by his teammates. It’s always a popular stance to hate the guy in office, but just because you disagree with some or all of his policies doesn’t mean you can’t take the guy up on his offer to come for a visit.

It’s a rare opportunity…why wouldn’t you want to go and tell your grandkids a new wonderful story?

8. harleyrider1973 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:50 AM

I’m curious, would Obama honor any team if they won in 1985 or he he doing this becasue he is Bear’s fan? Last I checked this is a free country and if he does want to go to the White House why does anyone else care?

9. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 7, 2011 8:51 AM

I understand Hampton taking this opportunity to make a statement about his beliefs regarding Obama. It’s a great public platform…if he went to the White House, no one would care about what Hampton thinks/believes. I respect him for standing up for his beliefs, even though it means he misses a once in a lifetime experience.

10. str82dvd says: Oct 7, 2011 8:52 AM

ESPN promptly disassociated itself from Dan Hampton.

11. Patriot42 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:52 AM

I agree with Dan.

12. iamthorny says: Oct 7, 2011 8:54 AM

I applaud Dan Hampton. There are very few left in this country who truly stand up for what they believe in.

If Mungo is showing up with “bells on” that is his personal decision, as much as it is Hampton’s personal decision not to.

If the President wasn’t a Bears fan, this ceremony wouldn’t be taking place, and it’s a little ridiculous it is considering the Bears won the SB decades ago.

13. skimbell says: Oct 7, 2011 8:55 AM

The whole thing’s an obama gimmick.
    Is The One going to have the 67 and 68 Packer teams in? I don’t think that they got their trip to the WH.

14. therhino44 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:55 AM

If he doesn’t want to attend it is his right. He has his political views just like everyone else. Good thing he doesn’t work for ESPN or he would end up like Hank Williams.

15. bcozthenight says: Oct 7, 2011 8:56 AM

In my opinion, Wrightman is out of line.

If Hampton believes that Obama is merely incompetent, then Wrightman is correct and Hampton should go to the White House.

If Hampton believes that Obama is not merely incompetent but is also a neo-fascist who has done things that may seriously undermine our form of government, then Wrightman is incorrect and Hampton should not go.

Does Wrightman know the basis of Hampton’s concerns? If not, then Wrightman is out of line.

16. urfinished says: Oct 7, 2011 8:56 AM

He has a tractor pull/rodeo combo event to attend. Leave him alone people.

17. kingmj4891 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:56 AM

Dan Hampton is awesome +10 in my book and I hate DA bears.

Obama has given up on the country and has gone into full reelection mode. Just another photo op for the election.

18. dryzzt23 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:57 AM

Please, if this were a black player who refused an invite to the WH when Bush was in office then the media and players would be screaming that it is his choice to accept or reject the invite and no one should question it.

But since Obama is black and Hampton is white then it is an absolute free-for-all for the medai and everyone to rip Dan Hampton, who is merely exercising his choice not to accept the invite.

19. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Oct 7, 2011 8:57 AM

“I would probably say I am the most conservative.” –well obviously you’re wrong.

“I think it was a classy thing for Obama to right the misfortune of our team. ” — it’s called politics.

sounds like wrightman had one too many concussions.

20. raider316 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:59 AM

Over the years as we watch these players play, pallot of tem are faceless people that we know nothing about. In this case thats a good thing!

21. east96st says: Oct 7, 2011 9:00 AM

“would you take the wife you had when we won or the newest one?”

Now, that’s a quality put down. How come we can’t get that guy in the MNF booth instead of three brain dead drool monkeys that call the game now?

22. steeltown56 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:01 AM

Forget all the the political B.S. for 1 minute and think about this. How did Dan Hampton make the Pro Football HOF? I think I blocked this from my mind like a bad memory. Very Very overated player. Also I hope President Obama yell’s at Ditka for letting the “Fridge” score a TD and not “Sweetness”

23. mox19380 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:02 AM

I agree with Wrightman and McMichael. Every team that has won the super bowl has visited the White House. So this isn’t a political thing and certainly no one is going to infer a player’s presence at the WH as support for the person who lives there. If anything he should go and find some other sort of protest to make while there, that would make a bigger statement. Really it’s a bit of disrespect I think to his teammates especially the ones who are no longer alive, that Hampton would disassociate himself from the team in this manner.

24. dryzzt23 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:02 AM

These people who are ripping Dan Hampton, I wonder if they also ripped Kanye West after his statements about President Bush on national TV after Katrina.

I doubt that they did b/c it is open season on European-Americans……but if you dare criticize a black person, then you shall be ripped forever for violating hate/diversity laws

25. thesaint257 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:03 AM

I mean let’s be honest. The Bears aren’t going to the Super Bowl or for that matter winning it again and going to the White House soon, so stop being a little bitch and be glad the President is honoring tradition, a tradition interrupted by a tragedy, plus maybe you will get to checkout the luscious ass cheeks of Michelle Obama if you!

26. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 7, 2011 9:07 AM

On the one hand, they’re right. On the other hand, it’s nothing more than a chance for a gratuitous photo op for a president who doesn’t give a whit about them, he’s just making headlines, so Hampton’s not playing along. He’s right.

27. clintonportisheadd says: Oct 7, 2011 9:08 AM

Hampton actually had other plans that day. He had tickets to a Hank Williams Jr concert….

Seriously, what is he thinking? It’s a great chance to get together with former teammates and accept an opportunity that few folks ever get.

Maybe he is afraid he will blurt out something stupid (something he is well known for) when introduced to Obama and doesn’t trust himself to stay classy?

28. pthompson1187 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:08 AM

who cares? if he doesnt want to go its his own right. he shouldnt get blasted for it.

29. arkadyrenko says: Oct 7, 2011 9:08 AM

I think skipping the ceremony is a dumb move, for all the reasons Wrightman and McMichael stated, but I also believe Hampton has the right to skip the ceremony if he wants to.

30. juzthadoginme says: Oct 7, 2011 9:09 AM

If he doesn’t want to go ….Its a free country .

31. seneca1ss says: Oct 7, 2011 9:11 AM

Hampton’s just a Bafoon (it backfired on him) hahahaha

32. quittsburghstoolers says: Oct 7, 2011 9:13 AM

When he was playing ‘back in the day’, my kid brother used to call him “Han Dampton”!

lol!

33. chitownjeff says: Oct 7, 2011 9:13 AM

Respect Danimal.. but on this he’s an idiot.. I bet Walter and Double D would have like to have been there.

BTW nobody has located L A Mike Richardson.. it’s like dude fell off the map or something..

Will Leslie be too busy trying to get four quarters out of DNabb to attend?? Leslie is one of the most poignant.. the game was his last as a pro when he blew his knee out. Great corner..

34. nysaysbringit says: Oct 7, 2011 9:14 AM

Good for you Dan!!!
    See what happens when you “snub” THIS White House.

35. buhbay1c says: Oct 7, 2011 9:14 AM

And I thought Curt Schilling was a douche for endorsing Bush in 04.

36. obxastronaut says: Oct 7, 2011 9:15 AM

Why is politics being mixed with football? At least all the presidents, no matter what party they’re in, like football, and gosh, this president’s a Bears fan. What an a–

37. NFLJunkie says: Oct 7, 2011 9:15 AM

Poor Tim Wrightman. Apparently he doesn’t realize that as soon as you disagree with someone who chose to diss Obama, you get your conservative membership card revoked and are sentenced to wearing a scarlet “L” while being told to shut up and (wait for it…) just let the guy enjoy his right to free speech, you liberal commie bastard.

At least according to most the stuff I saw posted from conservatives on the HWJ threads these last few days.

38. steveohho says: Oct 7, 2011 9:15 AM

“it behooves you to show up and look at it like an honor and a privilege.”

Oh please. The President or in reality the Dictator in Chief is just like the one before him and the one before him, and on and on. They are nothing but liars, thieves and killers. At least Dan isn’t a slave to authority.

39. edgarpoe2 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:16 AM

He certainly has a right to do what he wants. But it is in poor taste on his part IMHO for him not to go with the rest of his teammates to be honored.

This type of thing is more evidence that we are a country severely divided and we are going downhill because of it. With all the issues our country is having, we need to settle our differences and move forward.

“United we stand; divided we fall” is far more than just a cliche’. It is truth.

40. moochzilla says: Oct 7, 2011 9:17 AM

Dan can do what he wants, but at some point he’ll realize that he let his political opinions ruin what could have been a great moment for him and his former team.

It’s a shame, because who’s he hurting?

41. deviantfate says: Oct 7, 2011 9:18 AM

One of Hank’s rowdy friends i guess…

42. burm61 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:18 AM

I wouldn’t walk to my backyard to see that communist muslim.

43. fofofotey says: Oct 7, 2011 9:19 AM

Tim Wrightman condemned him?? That’s big.

44. duanethomas says: Oct 7, 2011 9:23 AM

Tim Wrightman is a funny man, the wife comment buried Hampton.

45. hellswitch says: Oct 7, 2011 9:23 AM

Agreed. The wife comment is classic ;)

46. contract says: Oct 7, 2011 9:26 AM

Tim Wrightman has a Super Bowl ring thanks to Dan Hampton, so he should probably shut his trap before someone points out that he should’ve flown cargo on his way to New Orleans for the game.

As for people who matter … they have a right to their opinions and Hampton has a right to his. This is still America, and that means that when the President calls, you can tell him you don’t want any of what he’s selling and hang up.

47. cleverbob says: Oct 7, 2011 9:27 AM

Great stuff all around. This was my favorite gem though:

“would you take the wife you had when we won or the newest one?”

48. skippynj says: Oct 7, 2011 9:27 AM

Dan who?

49. jwil444 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:30 AM

why should hampton participate in a political photo op for a fledgling president? give me a break…….not everyone wants to meet obama, who derides American exceptionalism at every turn. Good for you Hampton.

50. derekjetersmansion says: Oct 7, 2011 9:31 AM

I really wish there were Edit or Delete buttons sometimes on this site.

51. randolph32 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:31 AM

I would go to the White House to be honored if it was Richard Nixon….that’s the problem with this Country, it’s not ABOUT THE PERSON, it’s respecting the OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT….why don’t you get it knuckleheads?

52. peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 7, 2011 9:36 AM

I understand his point about B.O. only using this as a PR stunt but at leas he’s running for something. Hampton on the other hand is simply trying to make news to satisfy his own ego.

53. mountaindont says: Oct 7, 2011 9:36 AM

Hampton is just trying to fool everyone into thinking he is this great political thinker and he stands by his political beliefs. All he is doing is just embarrassing himself, the fans,the Bears and the entire NFL.
    Grow up Danny boy ! It`s the White House inviting you. Nobody says it`s a reflection on your beliefs.

What if the President was giving out a million dollars to every player that showed up. I`ll assure you Hampton would be there.

54. oranjellojones says: Oct 7, 2011 9:38 AM

I couldn’t possibly disagree more with his teammates. Hampton may be an idiot, but he’s obviously a man of principle who’s willing to stand behind his beliefs. I have a hell of a lot of respect for that, considerably more than for someone compromising their principles just so they can be put on a fake pedestal for a day 2 decades too late. I would lose respect for someone who just got done being insulted in one breath to turn and be honored by the person who insulted them no matter who or what the venue. Have a backbone show some principle.

If you have to hold your nose and bite your tongue to even meet the man then where exactly is the honor that Hampton would be feeling there? If he loathes Obama as much as some of us do he’d be a flaming hypocrite and lack principle if he still made the trip.

I wouldn’t go shake the man’s hand if he came to my front door, he’s directly responsible for some things that I consider downright un-American and is ruining my country, my family’s businesses with this Obamacare crap and his overall economic insanity. I am literally ashamed of the man, why would I or someone like Hampton who feels the same way want to go meet the guy? Obama’s shown contempt for conservatives and anyone who doesn’t march to his beat, why does him wanting to honor them (and by self serving extension bring his favorite team of all time/childhood heroes to his pad to fawn over them and appeal to his inner fanboy) erase all of that?

It’s pretty simple really; Wrightman and McMichael are obviously willing to compromise their own principles in order to be “honored” by someone who has no respect for them as a person. Some others AREN’T willing to compromise their own principles for ANYTHING. Good for them, it’s called having a backbone. Life IS bigger than football.

55. mikeheruki says: Oct 7, 2011 9:39 AM

L.A. Mike was at Soldier Field last Sunday talking with other alumni on Alumni day. Why does it matter if Hampton goes or not? I don’t get it. It’s a friggin photo-op. Why does everybody care so much?

56. nebster21 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:43 AM

How is he showing his or not showing his patriotism by not going to see the president. It has NOTHING to do with patriotism. He does not like Obama and what Obama has done to this country. I say good for Hampton.

57. psdaleno says: Oct 7, 2011 9:44 AM

he should go in memory of walter peyton. he didnt get such an opportunity. im sure his teammates will take share some great stories about peyton with the president. he should be part of this literally once in a lifetime moment.

58. gibooner11 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:45 AM

It is about respecting the office of the President. Is Obama the 1st Presidnet to do something political ? Keep comments like this off of this site. Who cares about Hampton ? I’m sure his 1st wife doesn’t.

59. comeonnowguys says: Oct 7, 2011 9:48 AM

harleyrider1973 says: Oct 7, 2011 8:50 AM

Come on. It’s right there.

60. aggressivexpansion says: Oct 7, 2011 9:52 AM

Who cares about respecting the office of the president? This isn’t a monarchy, we don’t need to respect someone’s reputation, but only their prescribed authority. And last time I checked the president has no authority to compel someone to meet him at the white house. Dan Hampton has every right to refuse meeting with Obama; this whole thing is just a gimmick to get some positive media attention on Obama for a change so I can see why Hampton, a conservative, would not want to play Obama’s little game and help boost his favorability ratings by cooperating in this.

61. logan1980 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:53 AM

Left Wing heads are exploding that the Clown in the White House is finally being exposed for the fraud he is. Dan for President! Respect the office? LOL Clueless sheep!

62. woodsa22 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:54 AM

@randolph32 … please dont vote. Thats the stupidist thing i have ever heard. “oh its not about Hitler, its about respecting his office and the things he has done to improve the country”. “oh, i know my Uncle is a pot dealing, wife beating, child molester, BUT he is still my Uncle so i must respect him”.

MORON!

If you dont agree with the way Obama is doing things then why should you care to meet him.

And ofcourse, this does not account for the fact that the WH has become nothing more than Obama’s Campaign HQ.

Instead of pandering to a City through a bunch of NFL players, spend the time getting some legislation on the table that will help improve the state of the union. Get off of the Campaign Horse. Set down the Agenda Sword. Pick up the Iv’e-got-a-job-to-do shovel, AND GET TO FREAKING WORK.

63. 2sausage11 says: Oct 7, 2011 9:56 AM

The space shuttle blew up and it takes 20+ years to get a make up day!!! I wouldn’t go either! someone said “It’s the peoples house not Obama”
    well ask him to leave than go visit.

64. oranjellojones says: Oct 7, 2011 9:57 AM

Come on indeed. You’re kidding yourself if you think he’d do this for any other team….he’s a Bears fanboy, that’s what’s REALLY at the heart of this. He couldn’t even keep that to himself during the Packers visit. It’s been 26 years, this is a self serving photo op and a chance for BO to rub elbows with the heroes of his youth….nothing else.

65. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 7, 2011 10:01 AM

One of the last great tiny steroids balls teams… now modern science can help make the effects non-permanent. Thanks Balco!

66. purnellmeagrejr says: Oct 7, 2011 10:07 AM

harleyrider – nobody’s forcing him to go to the WHite House – they’re just calling him a jerk. Do you think HWjr is having his First Amendment Rights impinged on, too?

67. rollerino1 says: Oct 7, 2011 10:11 AM

I see the political/racial divide in this country is still very much alive and well, even in the sporting world.

68. peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 7, 2011 10:11 AM

“Did you even read the post, or just look at the headline and shoot up your partisan hackles?

Come on. It’s right there.”

And do YOU follow what’s going on comeonnowguy? The Bears aren’t the only Superbowl winners never to go to the WH – many haven’t. Hell the greatest team ever, 73 Dolphins – have never been.

69. kfech says: Oct 7, 2011 10:12 AM

We have lost fundamental courtesy and respect in this country. If the Office of the President of the United States invites you to the White House, you go. Period. Hell, go out of your way to give a quote when you are there stating that you respectfully (there’s that word again) disagree with the administration’s policies, but that being invited to the White House is an honor. I feel like there hasn’t been a day that has gone by since the 2nd Clinton term where whoever was president (or running for president) wasn’t being attacked in personal terms. It’s apparently even ok to call someone a liar in the middle of the State of the Union Address these days. Respect, people. There is no reason both sides can’t show a little more of it.

70. philtration says: Oct 7, 2011 10:18 AM

I have met Hampton and so have a couple of other people that I know and in each case he came off as a drunken a hole.

A great player but just a jag off of a man.

71. t16rich says: Oct 7, 2011 10:20 AM

So Obama and his family are taking a day off from vacationing? I swear I see this guy in the news more when he’s golfing or talking about Chicago sports than he is talking politics. Wake up Obama, you inherited a s**t show. Time to fix it.

72. moochzilla says: Oct 7, 2011 10:20 AM

What bothers me about stuff like this – and it was there with Bush too – is that this is everyone’s country. Why would you let one man or one party take that away from you?

When you let a real or perceived adversary take something away from you – by your own choice – they’ve won. You’ve lost.

Political leaders and parties come and go. You should never let them one person or political organization impact decisions like this, your love of your country, or the desire to see it succeed.

But, of course, Dan is free to exercise that decision and I don’t think any less of him. I just find it odd and self-defeating on his part.

73. moochzilla says: Oct 7, 2011 10:23 AM

“Instead of pandering to a City through a bunch of NFL players, spend the time getting some legislation on the table that will help improve the state of the union. ”

Funny, I thought that was the job of Congress. Which does nothing and won’t until the 2012 election is over.

74. pigskinswag says: Oct 7, 2011 10:26 AM

I’m sick of all these political comments and posts here on PFT. I thought this was Pro Football Talk, not Political Football Talk. People’s opinions of the President has NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING to do with sports.

75. steelerhypocrite says: Oct 7, 2011 10:27 AM

Why not show? Where else can you meet a bunch of radicals like George Soros, Richard Trumka, Bill Ayers, Rev. Wright, Cass Sunstein, Valarie Jarret, Kathleen Sebelius – along with a bunch of idiots like Clooney, Pitt, Jolie, Sarandon, Damon, Dr Dre, etc.

76. comeonnowguys says: Oct 7, 2011 10:30 AM

peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 7, 2011 10:11 AM

Come on. It’s right there.”

Where in the hell is that coming from? The guy was questioning something that was explained inside the article on which he was commenting.

And I’m sorry, but a 12-2 team that didn’t make it past the AFC championship game is not the greatest team ever. Oh, I know what you meant, but I, too, wanted to bring up something which as best barely relevant to the subject being discussed.

77. godsowncrunk says: Oct 7, 2011 10:32 AM

78. bobbyhoying says: Oct 7, 2011 10:37 AM

When you have a president who intentionally is trying to destroy the country, why go? Why help the guy by participating in a photo op? When Herman Cain is President people of character will be honored to meet another man of character.

79. richardmb52 says: Oct 7, 2011 10:37 AM

With all the child support he pays he can’t afford to go

80. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 7, 2011 10:49 AM

I laugh at comments slamming Obama for “using the White House to campaign.” How is that any worse than many Republicans using the debt showdown/raising the debt ceiling to further their campaign aspirations to the detriment of the country’s economy? How is it any worse than Rick Perry and other Republicans who currently hold a political office, yet spend most of their time on the campaign trail rather than focus on the job they’ve been elected to do?
    C’mon, people! Stop slamming Obama and demonizing him for a minute… take a look around you! Most politicians (from BOTH parties) only have their own interests at heart. They could care less about us.

81. dstep24 says: Oct 7, 2011 10:57 AM

Surprised the White House and media haven’t accused Hampton of being a racist yet. They do it to everyone else who disagrees with anything they say or implement.

Kudos to them for refraining….so far.

82. purpleguy says: Oct 7, 2011 11:05 AM

Whether you respect the individual who holds the position, you should respect the office and respect your teamates. Hampton shows he respects neither, which says more about him and his repect for our country than anything.

83. cereal blogger says: Oct 7, 2011 11:10 AM

Lets not be surprised by this, he is a football player

84. howley1 says: Oct 7, 2011 11:19 AM

What is Hampton thinking, defying the proclamation that the 1985 Bears will be a command audience of another campaign speech by Emperor Obama?

You know, it wasn’t that long ago that Obama called all Republicans “the enemy”. Hilarious that this Wrightman cat, who was in the NFL just about long enough to have a cup of tea is not only calling Hampton out, he’s talking crap about wives. Hampton should go just to pound Wrightman into Michelle’s veggie garden. 51 years old and never been married, owner of the “Lazy Bear Ranch” according to his Facebook. hmmmmm.

hahaha he says he was the “first major star” to sign with the USFL!

“Believe it or not, he also has time to have a successful acting career where he has guest starred on such popular TV shows as Mad About You, Suddenly Susan, and Baywatch”

85. ridle9 says: Oct 7, 2011 11:28 AM

I can’t stand the Bears…but Dan Hampton just became one of my favorite all time NFL players. I am sure he will be called a racist…but way to go Dan for standing up for your convictions.

86. radrntn says: Oct 7, 2011 11:32 AM

oh well, thats his decsion, but not a shock. This is the same guy who refused to do the “super bowl shuffle” video with the rest of his teamates.

Although it is pretty low of him to take a shot at the president. I mean could you imagine if Obama said he wanted the bears to come to the white house except for hampton because the guys has no kneees.

87. radrntn says: Oct 7, 2011 11:36 AM

As far as for all of you democrats, and republicans, it’s ok us independents have our boots and shovel to clean up all the elepahant and donkey crap that you keep on giving. Maybe when you get off the lobbyist diet’s of political contributions, and listen to the people instead of the corporations, I can put my shovel away, and take off the boots…..until then it’s knee deep.

88. waxedagain says: Oct 7, 2011 11:44 AM

“Awesome job guys – see if you can find some other NFL stories with political angles so another site I’ve enjoyed for years can be ruined.”

@godsowncrunk: It’s the writer.

89. madmike66 says: Oct 7, 2011 12:00 PM

So protesting in cities for weeks on end and shutting down traffic and bridges is cool, but declining an invitation to fly halfway across the country to shake the hand of someone you don’t agree with and pose for their photo op is idiotic?

90. hatesycophants says: Oct 7, 2011 12:16 PM

@kfech,

Excellent post!

Go Lions! Go Badgers! Go Tigers!

91. hatesycophants says: Oct 7, 2011 12:22 PM

@ dstep24,

Please site one of example of the White House of this POTUS calling anyone a racist. We’ll wait…

Some of you folks have allowed your bigotry to push you right over the edge. It is sad.

92. nolarules says: Oct 7, 2011 12:43 PM

This site is becoming a joke. Do you mind keeping your politics to yourself and giving us football? I realize you all now work for NBC and therefore must push your socialist agenda, but we come here for football, not your opinion on what a great messiah the president is. Don’t become what everything else NBC has touched has become: crap

93. nolarules says: Oct 7, 2011 12:47 PM

Oh, how this actually used to be a good football site where you could avoid this BS. But NBC has ruined something great yet again.

94. KeepitReal says: Oct 7, 2011 12:47 PM

Obama was responsible for the stock market crash, near collapse of the auto, real estate, bank and financial services industry which without government intervention would led to their bankruptcy and have caused a depression in this country and the world. This president was also responsible for the invasion of Iraq looking for non existent WMD. Dan, I can see why you’re not a fan! lol

95. Deb says: Oct 7, 2011 12:48 PM

“Out of all the players from the ’85 Bears arriving on October 7th I would probably say I am the most conservative.” Unlike Hampton, [Tim] Wrightman believes that political differences can be put aside for an occasion like this.

Obviously Tim Wrightman is an adult who treats the Presidency and “the people’s house” with the respect they deserve. If only everyone on both sides of the political spectrum were half as mature.

And his comment about hypocritical Hampton’s past and present wives was priceless.

96. Scott says: Oct 7, 2011 1:16 PM

…Ditka…polish sausage….’da Bears…Ditka…Ditka….Ditka

Who would win a fight between Ditka and a hurricane? And what if the hurricane was named Hurricane Ditka?

I don’t think Farley would go to the White House either, but that’s because he’d miss his wakeup call. He’d be in an alley facedown in a puddle of vomit. I miss that guy!

97. zeussuperman says: Oct 7, 2011 1:21 PM

Wow.

It’s sad to see how many racists there are in this thread.

White people aren’t an endangered species, redneck idiots. You all still control the world.

Wait, YOU don’t control the world? Some other old white dudes do?

Well, it looks like you have more in common with poor black folk than you do the 1%.

I doubt you’ll be able to see this through your racist hate.

98. logan1980 says: Oct 7, 2011 1:22 PM

From the White House to the Out House in 2012. Thank you Jesus!

99. zeussuperman says: Oct 7, 2011 1:33 PM

KeepitReal says: Oct 7, 2011 12:47 PM

————————————-

Why would hayseeds blame a fellow hayseed when there’s someone with a different skin color they can blame it on?

I mean, they blame not having jobs on Mexican laborers when corporations are outsourcing jobs. They blame Iraqis for not liking the fact that we invaded their country illegally and without cause. They blame the 99% protests for pitting American vs. American, then bring their pistols to the Tea Party Rally.

They’re the most entitled group in the world, nothing – NOTHING – is ever their fault!

100. otis52gsh says: Oct 7, 2011 1:51 PM

The prez is a joke. Hurray for Dan

101. otis52gsh says: Oct 7, 2011 2:10 PM

It’s funny that when I criticized president Clinton I was not called a racist. But when I do the same to our current prez, even though it’s for the same disgust with his BS policy crap, I am than called a racist. You people notice everything except the obvious. He is driving this country straight into the ground. Are you better off now, than you were 4 years ago?? I’m not and most are not either.

102. Deb says: Oct 7, 2011 5:34 PM

@otis52gsh …

Not everyone who criticizes Obama is a racist. But a lot of the attacks on him are racist in content. I heard a lot of people criticizing Clinton, but I never heard one calling him a terrorist, a Muslim, or questioning whether he was born in the U.S. Those are race-based attacks. If you’re just innocently criticizing Obama’s policies without using that kind of vicious rhetoric and people are calling you racist, they’re ignorant. Plenty of that comes from both sides of the political spectrum. If you are using vicious rhetoric, quit whining.

Am I better off now than four years ago? No. But I’m not worse off either. However, during the 11 years of Bush and Obama, I’ve been a heckuva lot worse off than I was under Bill Clinton’s administration. I’d dearly love to have the personal income as well as the national debt and economy we had when he was in office. If you wouldn’t, you’re nuts.

103. qdog112 says: Oct 7, 2011 7:23 PM

Funny you don’t hear anyone lamenting the use of the race card when white people bring up “perceived” racial motivation. Personally, I think it’s funny when white people claim to be victims of racism. The evidence is always anecdotal and miniscule compared to what others face daily.

Yet, you can cite your examples without any claims of “race card”. If you want it that way, don’t accuse every black person of “race card”every time racist acts are cited.

104. mediasloppy says: Oct 7, 2011 8:41 PM

Race is never an issue??? lol, that’s pretty funny considering Clinton was labeled the first Black President 15 years ago as a derogatory term.

105. Deb says: Oct 7, 2011 9:53 PM

mediasloppy says:

————————————————-
    That wasn’t used as a derogatory term. It referred to Clinton’s high popularity in the African-American community and the voter loyalty he commanded in that demographic.

106. eastcoast77 says: Oct 7, 2011 11:44 PM

Dan Hampton says after 25 years “let it go”,? Is he going to stop talking about it at his Paid speaking engagements? He’s lucky he had the money to stay out of jail after his 3rd D.U.I coviction. It’s nice to have the freedom to choose where you wat to go. Keep hawking that memorobilia because I’m not buying it. A Former Fan

107. geedoggee says: Oct 8, 2011 1:20 AM

peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 7, 2011 10:11 AM

Come on. It’s right there.”

LMAO!!! Did you know that this policy of inviting Champs to the White House was started BY-
    (none other than) Ronald Reagan in the 80’s,

SO any Championship team from the any era PRIOR to Reagan “73” Dolphins-Included (Probably) Didn’t get an invite because this was not a “common”practice back then…

Sometimes I just marvel at the Intellectual laziness of some folks…

You can have folks making less than $250,000 being lead by-the-nose by a bunch of rich elites who claim to be American but, don’t wanna pay their fair share of taxes.

And (most)these VERY same lemmings are dependent on the Gov’t(Soc Sec, Medicaid, etc) in some shape or form.

And people wonder why we don’t have a middle-class anymore…

108. mogaoman says: Oct 9, 2011 11:41 AM

I guess that Dan thinks that George Bush was a great president. Peoples memories are short when it comes to blaming someone for the current problems. That being said, this isn’t about politics, or whether you respect the president or not, It’s about showing respect for your teammates. This was done as a team. It wasn’t an individual effort. All I can say is, if I see Dan Hampton on my TV, I’m changing channels.

109. dmobey says: Oct 10, 2011 11:13 PM

There are morons.

And then there are people who are too stupid to know they are morons.

Tell us all who was responsible for TARP and the great recession?

**********************************