Adrian Peterson becoming more of a vocal leader

Detroit Lions v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

One of the greatest running backs of all time, Barry Sanders, spent too much of his career propping up a mediocre organization.

It’s fair to wonder if Adrian Peterson will spend too much of his prime doing the same in Minnesota.  Peterson is doing everything he can to change that, including becoming more of a vocal leader for the team.

“He speaks up,” tackle Phil Loadholt told Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “And you heed his words when he does. I’ll keep the messages in house, but he’ll definitely make his presence felt. You don’t see many guys of Adrian’s stature preparing the way he does, and that goes for everything he does.”

We watched a couple Vikings games last week, largely with the intention to see if Peterson had lost anything.  We don’t see it. He’s the same guy he’s been the last few years, and the Vikings are letting him go to waste.

“I feel like I’m a leader, obviously, and I’ve been for a long time,” said Peterson. “But I’m just doing things kind of different, just going and talking to guys more, telling them things I see that maybe they can improve on, and I expect the same.”

At 0-4, Peterson knows that talking only means so much.

“I’m kind of tired of saying the same thing,” Peterson said, before saying he still feels like the Vikings can win the division this year.

For that to happen, the Vikings would likely have to win 12 straight games.  And get a little help.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Adrian Peterson becoming more of a vocal leader”
  1. cmb79 says: Oct 8, 2011 9:38 PM

“MORE CARRIES, DAMMIT!!!!!!”

Right?

2. everydayimfumbilin says: Oct 8, 2011 9:42 PM

id take some wins over a vocal leader

3. rajbais says: Oct 8, 2011 9:53 PM

If Adrian is using his voice constructively he should tell the Vikings to bench McNabb!!!

4. Ratpee1 says: Oct 8, 2011 10:10 PM

Vikings 24 Cards 20.

5. ugk612 says: Oct 8, 2011 10:22 PM

Not gonna win a division title this year A.P.! I said it before and I’ll say it again…..”suck for Luck baby!”

6. tjacks7 says: Oct 8, 2011 10:26 PM

I guess he has to find something to do when Bill Musgrove is ensuring he doesn’t get the ball in the 2nd half.

7. Soulman45 says: Oct 8, 2011 10:37 PM

Yes speaking up 0-16

8. illogic87 says: Oct 8, 2011 10:40 PM

APAD

9. grogansneck says: Oct 8, 2011 10:45 PM

He should speak up with this: “give me the F$#%&ing ball in the 2nd half.”

10. skolvikesskol says: Oct 8, 2011 11:05 PM

I love ap! However, if he wants an SB, we need an elite D. like the steelers, ravens and giants when they won the SB

11. bishopslappytruelove says: Oct 8, 2011 11:09 PM

If all he wants is to win, he should offer to take a pay cut to sign other talent to the team, or ask for a trade to a competitive team that may not be able to pay him as much. No one would ever want to adress such an obvious issue!

12. The Phantom Stranger says: Oct 8, 2011 11:41 PM

the Vikings are letting him go to waste.
    _____________

What do you want them to do? Cut him? Trade him for less than he’s worth? He’s getting his money and he isn’t complaining. If Ponder turns out to be good, they’ll be competitive again next season. It’s preposterous to compare the Vikings to the Lions of the Barry Sanders era. The Vikings are never down for long and they won’t be this time either.

13. sterlingrodgers says: Oct 8, 2011 11:51 PM

The dude is a beast. Still. Best RB in the game. But he’s not going to the playoffs any time soon, I’m afraid. I feel bad for him.

14. The Phantom Stranger says: Oct 8, 2011 11:53 PM

By the way, did anybody notice that the Minnesota Lynx are the WNBA CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD?!!!! Winnersville, USA, baby!

15. freedomispopular says: Oct 8, 2011 11:54 PM

New coach, same crap.

16. truthserum4u says: Oct 9, 2011 12:12 AM

“…the Vikings are letting him go to waste.”

What does that mean? How are they letting him go to waiste? Because they’re not very good right now? What should bad teams do, get rid of all of their best players because they don’t want to waiste them?

All teams go thru the rebuilding process. Many great players played on said teams. That’s just the way it is.

“For that to happen, the Vikings would likely have to win 12 straight games. And get a little help.”

You think they would need help at 12-4 (they’ll be fortunate to be 4-12)? So the NFC will have two wildcard teams at 13-3 or better? I would care to venture that has never happened before and isn’t likely to happen in the near future in the parity structured NFL.

Some weird takes in this post.

17. richm2256 says: Oct 9, 2011 12:57 AM

The Phantom Stranger says:
    Oct 8, 2011 11:53 PM

—————————————————————

Damn…… Boston in the past 10 years has enjoyed 3 Super Bowls, 2 World Series, an NBA hampionship, and a Stanley Cup.

But we’ve never had a WNBA Champion.

We’d trade all 7 titles for just ONE of those.

18. gdeli says: Oct 9, 2011 1:03 AM

He is gonna become more of an angry leader after they lose many more games. He is wasting away here in mn and the coaches just do not listen that he needs to be run more. Bench mcnabb(after the az game or a week later it should happen) and then we can see pndder run around for his life. sorry AP, your on a messed up team. They do not fix the o-line, pass defense,qb(shoulda got hasselbeck) so what the hell do the vike’s (fans, owner’s and coaches) expect? duh!

19. madisonave99 says: Oct 9, 2011 1:33 AM

New year, same bad Offensive Line. That was the problem in Minny last year and remains the probem in 2011

20. jw731 says: Oct 9, 2011 4:33 AM

They end up 3-13…..he gets his yards, McNabb moves on to another team, and Wilf cries for a new stadium, some things never change…..

21. joetoronto says: Oct 9, 2011 7:35 AM

sterlingrodgers says: Oct 8, 2011 11:51 PM

*************************************************
    I’d like to know why you think he’s the best RB in the game. I’m not hatin, just asking why.

McFadden has everything AP does and much more. He’s got tremendous hands out of the backfield and he’s also a devastating blocker.

22. flavordave says: Oct 9, 2011 8:18 AM

I love how we, in Philly, have been validated about McNabb. Nice guy (when hes not throwing teammates under a bus), good QB, but a choke artist and loser. Thanks Minny and Washington for helping out on that.

23. ridle9 says: Oct 9, 2011 10:19 AM

Peterson is the best rb this team has ever had. He is an absolute stud. Too bad, Wilf won’t add to him and Frazier doesn’t know how to use him. He is destined to be the next Barry Sanders…playing for a losing organization.

24. jessethegreat says: Oct 9, 2011 10:32 AM

What is his trade value? The Vikes would be admitting “rebuild” if they entertained trades, but what’s a realistic return if they did trade him? The Vikes still have some good/excellent pieces in Percy, Greenway, 69, Rudolph, and some potential in Ponder and Ev. Griffin….. If they could get 3 or 4 good picks, It could realistically put them back in the playoffs. I doubt a trade is possible or likely, but it’s an interesting idea.

The problem I see with trading him, besides losing the corner stone of the franchise, is finding trading partners. I’d imagine it would have to be a playoff likely team wanting him to put them over the edge (like Atlanta with Julio Jones this past draft).

25. gbiscottagecheesefatties says: Oct 9, 2011 11:25 AM

AP will not be traded…. the Vikings main issue is at QB. if they had one, they would easily be 4-0. Just a horrible year and it will continue,…. there’s always next year (sigh)

26. gberg09 says: Oct 9, 2011 9:36 PM

If peterson never wins a ring I would feel sorry for him, but with his fumbles in the 09 championship game he would only have himself to blame.

27. truthserum4u says: Oct 10, 2011 5:10 AM

@ joetoronto

Because you don’t become the best on 4 games.

Peterson has been great for 4+ years while McFadden was good last year and four games this season. Peterson had more rushing yardage in 2009 & 2010 (32 games) than McFadden has had in his career (43 games). Peterson had almost as many rushing TDs in one season (18) than McFadden has had for his career, including receiving (19).

McFadden isn’t as fast, powerful or shifty (more of a one-cut runner) as Peterson. He’s never played more than 13 games in a season and he actually fumbles at a higher rate (fumbles per carry) than Peterson.

McFadden is a wonderful runner (loved him @ Arkansas too) he’s just not at the top of the mountain right now. There’s no shame in that when the guy that occupies that spot is Peterson.

28. brewdogg says: Oct 13, 2011 3:11 AM

joetoronto says:
    Oct 9, 2011 7:35 AM
    sterlingrodgers says: Oct 8, 2011 11:51 PM

*************************************************

———————–

No offense, but McFadden does not have everything Peterson has. He doesn’t have the speed or the power that Peterson does. Show me one run where he broke first contact without going down, and I’ll show you 10 where he was caught from behind.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good back. he sees the field very well, and knows how and when to hit his hole. He is in the upper tier of RBs. But Peterson he is not. Comparing McFadden to Peterson is like comparing Andre Reed or Tim Brown to Jerry Rice back in the 90s. Sure, they were great recievers that any team would be lucky to have, but they weren’t at Rice’s level.