Michael Vick approaches Randall Cunningham’s QB rushing record

Getty Images

In the 1980s and 1990s, Randall Cunningham became the NFL’s greatest running quarterback, doing things no other quarterback had ever done before, and becoming the standard comparison for all other athletic quarterbacks.

Eventually Michael Vick surpassed Cunningham as the man whose name was used as shorthand for “running quarterback,” and on Sunday Vick may also surpass Cunningham as the most productive rushing quarterback in NFL history.

Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com points out that Vick has 4,858 rushing yards in his career and is now just 70 yards behind Cunningham, who rushed for 4,928 yards during his 16-year career.

Vick says Cunningham was one of his quarterbacking role models.

“I just remember Randall being very elusive and being able to make plays that a lot of QBs at the time couldn’t make, with his legs,” Vick said. “And you know, it kind of changed the dynamics of the game and what he could do for his football team. So, you know, I tried to emulate that and just tried to keep plays alive with my legs.”

With Cunningham, Vick and Donovan McNabb (sixth all-time among quarterbacks with 3,455 rushing yards), Eagles fans have seen three of the best rushing quarterbacks in NFL history. Mike Quick, who played with Cunningham and is now the Eagles’ radio color commentator, gave Frank a good assessment of the three of them.

“In his early years, Donovan was a real good runner, a very good runner,” Quick said. “But he didn’t compare to Randall and Michael. They’re the two best I’ve ever seen.”

52 responses to “Michael Vick approaches Randall Cunningham’s QB rushing record

1. edmazeing1 says:
    Oct 8, 2011 3:33 PM
    atleast no one ever called Randall out 4 running to much!!

Even though he played before the internet era Randall was often criticized for running the ball when he had open WRs and getting out of the pocket too early.

2. Newton will blow this stat out of the water in due time. Vick is too fragile to last very much longer in the NFL

3. Mike Vick only gets compared to Randall Cunningham because both of them are mobile and athletic.

4. Ilovepenis says: Oct 8, 2011 3:52 PM

And how many SBs did it get them?
    —————–
    The same as it got Hall of Famers Tarkenton, Marino and Fouts.

5. First there was Fran, then Randall, then McMabb, now Vick. There is some kid right now playing street ball with his friends that will be the next running QB.
    While it makes for great games, none have won a Super Bowl. Fran went to 3 Super Bowls, McNabb has been to 1, so that 0 for 4. At the end of the day, all that matters is did they win the Championship.

6. God I hate the super bowl argument. It’s funny how this game is lauded as one of the biggest team oriented sports in the world and a lot of the same people are the ones who seem to only care about a QB’s rings. Last time I checked, it still took more than one guy to win a championship.

7. tommyf15 says:
    Oct 8, 2011 3:33 PM
    Don’t be shy about getting in one of those tired and overused dog jokes, PFT Nation.

So torturing helpless animals is just a dog joke to you? Nice person you are….

Vick laughs at all you supporters, on his way to deposit his check. Keep up the good work!

8. “bdawk2020 says:
    Oct 8, 2011 4:33 PM

Anyway, I think Don was the best passer out of the three so far. Vick could change that.”

So if Montana or Brady never won their 7 Super Bowls, they would still be thought of the best ever? Funny, I don’t recall anybody saying they would draft Jim Kelly ahead of Brady or Montana to build their team around. While the goal is to win games, the ultimate goal is to win a SB. Like it or not that is the measuring stick. But with out a line to keep you QB upright and open holes for your RB, it doesn’t matter much who is taking the snap.

Being a running QB opens you up for getting hurt more likely. Sometimes it is best to just throw it away and finish the game on the field. And not on the sideline.

9. Cunningham also had one of the best arms in the league. I remember him throwing some bombs back in the day. What a great athlete. 16 years of awesome!! Definitely one of my favorite players of all time!!

10. A. He is running for his life as he has no O line

B. As a recall Randle was never the same after a broken leg

C. Is it week 11 yet?

D. Egirl fans are the only ones in the NFC east that say SB wins do not matter.

E. My pitbull hates Vick and so do I
    He is a classless dog killer who killed dogs for poor work by his own standards he should be put down

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. I am a fan of Vick and really admire the comeback he has made. I know he will always have people who hate him, and for good reason, but he is a great athlete and this will be a great accomplishment.

You got at least one fan Vick.

12. @Bdawk202

I really couldn’t agree with you more man, it’s sick how people blame or credit the QB when they win or lose a SB. I am a huge Pats fan and am the first to admit that you cannot give Brady all the credit or even most of the credit for those 3 SBs.

Yeh, he stepped up under pressure and put them in the position to win, but let’s not forget that Adam V hit three of the clutchest kicks in the games history.

Same goes for Vick and company, you cannot blame them for defensive and special team mistakes, or dropped balls, or fumbles by the RBs. It’s time to realize that this is the sport where team is so very important. Let’s stop knocking Marino, or give Brady too much credit for their accomplishments or lack thereof…

13. God I hate the super bowl argument. It’s funny how this game is lauded as one of the biggest team oriented sports in the world and a lot of the same people are the ones who seem to only care about a QB’s rings.

————————-

How do you feel about people who put wins and losses solely on the QB?

14. @tommyf15

Funny how your return comment didn’t include the other part of tigerrrs’ comment.

Anyone that thinks it’s a joke to take an animal that is bleeding, crying & defenseless & continue to torture it & inflict pain just because they enjoy seeing it suffer & scream, anyone that would take a beaten animal & for their personal enjoyment inflict more unmerciful suffering is beyond sick, just like Vick.

The dog comments are just & warranted, Vick is a sadistic, disturbed, inhuman POS that deserved 10 years, he did 18 months & people think he is “cured” Or worse yet, did nothing wrong. There’s no doubt when people minimize that kind of behavior, it’s a blind defense based upon a agenda thats either misdirected or pathetically demented.

15. clk32oscpe.. did Vick kill your dogs? Some pathetic people here. Hating on a guy they’ve never met and hating someone that hasn’t done a thing to them. Bunch of society rejects.

16. clk320cpe says:

You know, I agree with that.

Wanna know what else I think is sick? That people use Vick’s transgressions as a way to get people on message boards to think that they’re funny. It’s also kind of sick that any time Vick’s name comes up, regardless of context, they have to drag out the same old “dog killer” stuff. Yawn.

At this point making a joke about Vick’s dogfighting operation is like making a Kato Kaelin joke, and the people that post nonsense like that should be embarrassed.

17. @tommyf15, thanks you could not have said that better. Most of these people who are complaining and making all of the “dog” jokes, really believe they are making some kind of a statement or maybe think they are being just funny,when in reality they make themselves look like real fools. If they really wanted to be a part of the solution, that is exactly what they would be doing, instead of sitting on a computer attempting to be funny or making a meaningless comment. Totally ridiculous. Thanks again.

18. @jh500
    So what you’re saying is that unless something is done directly to YOU, you aren’t concerned about it. Unless something that happens directly affects YOU, no worries. Let me ask you a question then: If Mike Vick infected your mom, your sister, your niece, your aunt or any other the women in your life with incurable disease, he knowingly showed your loved one as much empathy & consideration as he extended the animals he intentionally tortured, would you still be here shilling for him? Would you be talking as you do? Society’s rejects are people that say unless it affects me directly, I am good with it, no matter the offense. To say unless it affects me directly is woefully sad & really obtuse.

@tommyf15
    I agree the jokes or what they believe are jokes are unneeded BUT, to say people should get over it or to tell others how to feel about Vick is also uncalled for. And anyone that minimizes or defends the things he did doesn’t have the sense to be ashamed. Sorry but most Vick defenders are sadly lacking any type or moral compass what so ever.

19. @Tigerrr, and that is your reason for being upset, its about that check he’s depositing. No I don’t believe he is laughing at his supporters, but I do believe his supporters are laughing at people like you. Go save a dog.

20. clk32oscpe.. did Vick kill your dogs? Some pathetic people here. Hating on a guy they’ve never met and hating someone that hasn’t done a thing to them. Bunch of society rejects.

————————————————-

Wow, I don’t know what’s worse: That someone is stupid enough to think something like that, or that two people (as of now) think it’s worthy of a thumbs-up.

Seriously, you can’t hate someone you’ve never met?! I’ve never met Pol Pot, Osama bin laden, or the people that don’t take their shopping carts to the cart return and have them roll into someone else’s car, but i hate all of them. That’s not okay?

21. clk320cpe says:

You know what? I wish that Vick had never done anything to those dogs. Can you say the same thing?

I seriously doubt it, because it would give you one less thing to LECTURE everyone over.

Dude, we get it. What Vick did was bad. We get it. Anyone that doesn’t get it is never going to. But most of us get it. No really, we get it.

As in, WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER LECTURE FROM YOU.

22. jh500 says:
    Oct 8, 2011 5:47 PM

——————————————————————

So, since O.J. didn’t kill your wife he is cool too, right? Moron.

————————————————————–
    Those of you saying a running QB can’t win the Superbowl are forgetting Steve Young, another dual threat lefty.

————————————————————-

Steve Young was always a throw-first QB that ran out of necessity, not because he was a better runner than a thrower like Vick. Cunningham was not a great throwing QB early on, but turned into one with the Vikings.

23. Randall is the reason I am an Iggles fan…

That play…Monday Night…Carl Banks…Left Hand down to stop his fall…laser into the corner of the Endzone…TOUCHDOWN!

That was my first…”That was awesome!!” moment from the NFL.

Thanks Randall, for that night and so many more afterword!

Go Eagles.

24. I am really getting sick and tired of all the dog killing comments and most people agree with me. We understand what Vick did was wrong and will always be wrong. You cant shovel dirt on it and make it go away…

HOWEVER

You people that seem to make it your life long mission to point it out, boycott, or bash him again and again have no lifes at all. Seriously. Is that how pathetic your life is. Do you feel better about yourself for being just as hateful as he was? And when some of you wish harm on Vick I just dont get it. Like two wrongs make a right…lol

In other words…

STFU!!!

25. Some QBs run when they figure out there’s nothing else to do.

Vick runs when he doesn’t know what else to do. That’s the difference between guys like him and Steve Young and a mature (with the Vikings) Randall Cunningham.

26. Thats Nice….At least Vick will have some sort of accomplishment this year. Seeing as his team quits playing in the second half of games and the defense is just awful.

27. @tommyf15
    “As in, WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER LECTURE FROM YOU.”

Too bad bro, just as the people want to tell others to stop mentioning it, others will continue to educate people on Vicks real atrocities. If you don’t care for those types of posts, here’s an idea: DON’T READ THEM! Hope that helps pal. =)

@o0omorriso0o

The above goes for you as well, you don’t like what others say, DON’T READ IT.

Just continue to shill for one of the most evil players to ever be allowed to put on a uniform in the NFL. Keep blindly defending someone so impossibly inhuman that had the same regard for women as he did for crying, bleeding hurt animals.

The comments here clearly show the dumbing down of America is alive & well.

28. @o0omorriso0o
    @choice1329
    @tommyf15

Thanks once again for showing the NFL world the mentality of most Eagle fans. To watch you 3 stooges try & shout down people that get what a lousy human being Vick is is absolutely classic. It’s fans like you & others that I have have seen over & over act foolish like ya that give Philly it’s reputation.

29. clk320cpe says:

Which is fine, the cycle can continue.

1. Vick plays in the NFL, and makes news.

2. Someone beats the dead horse re: dogfighting.

3. Poster that does so gets called out for being a repetitive, lecturing grandmother.

I can live with this.

30. bleedeaglegreen says:

Let me ask you two serious questions- why would a person want to tell someone something that they already know over and over and over again? Is it really that important for someone to repeatedly state the obvious?

BTW, nice job assuming that I’m an Eagle fan, or that I’m anywhere Philadelphia. Neither is the case.

31. @tommyf15
    I never mentioned dog fighting.
    I mentioned intentional premeditated cruelty & torture multiple times a week with ones bare hands for no other reason but personal entertainment & ghoulish enjoyment.

Tommy, either you cannot tell the difference or just don’t care. As for beating a dead horse with my posts & lecturing others, pot meet kettle.

Trying to reason with a Vick defender is like trying to teach a chicken calculus.

32. clk320cpe says:
    I never mentioned dog fighting.

Again, I get it. I posted an abbreviated version since I don’t enjoy the sound of my own internet voice as much as certain other people.

You forgot to thank me for giving you another chance to repeat yourself.

33. Loser will not finish the season, will be out of the NFL in two years, and be back in the big house before you know it! Dog killer.

34. jh500 says:
    Oct 8, 2011 5:39 PM
    Ben had a 22.6 QB rating when he won his first Super Bowl. Defense wins championships… I am just saying.”

I agree a strong Defense more often then less is the reason a organization wins a Super Bowl. However, the one person on the field of battle that runs the show, ie the QB, has the most weight on his shoulder. Next to the Center, the only person on the field that touches the ball the most, is the QB. Thus he receives the praise or blame for a win or loss. At any time durring a game you can get an stupid penalty that stalls a scoring drive. So there are at least 1,000 possible instances durring a game that could be looked at as the reason a team doesn’t win. Holding calls, false starts, phantom roughing the QB. This is a game of inches, and an inch here and an inch here can be the difference between hoisting that trophy or being the brides maid.

As for the dog issue, Vick will have to answer for that before a higher power then any of us.

Any parent that had/has their son or daughter viewing Vick, or any other athelet as a role model is failing as a parent. You should be the role model your kids try to emulate.

35. Steve Young was pretty mobile too and he won a Super Bowl. So don’t go equating being mobile with not winning anything. Those two things have nothing in common.

36. The reality is that regardless of what he does in the NFL, he will always be known as a dog killer first.

Think about it, what immediately comes to mind when you hear his name?

37. There are a lot of valid points on here (and everywhere else) about how inhumane Vick’s actions were regarding dogs…that I don’t necessarily disagree with.

However, as a sports fan, his athleticism and playmaking ability are unheralded. I don’t see how another sports fan can be condemned for appreciating that.

As a Christian, the opportunity for redemption and to seek forgiveness for past wrongs should also be acceptable.

As an American, we are all hypocrites if we want to condemn the man for being able to make more money. After all, we do live in the birthplace of capitalism!

All said, and to the point of the story, being in the same statistical company of Cunningham, McNabb and S. Young ain’t so bad!

38. Vicks a hypocrite and a joke. He viciously and unmercifully tortures and kills untold numbers of defenseless dogs yet whines like a little baby that he is getting hit too hard by other teams and the refs wont protect him. Too bad.

39. @bangitfootball, the real joke is people like, who whine about some dogs, when in reality it those dogs hadn’t been owned by Michael Vick, you wouldn’t have cared and you certainly wouldn’t still be whining like babies after all of these years, . Did you whine about the dogs Jeffrey killed………….you know the dogs he went to shelters and adopted only to take them home to skin and mutilate them. No you folks are without a doubt the joke and hypocrites, this comment is coming from a dog lover/owner.

40. “However, as a sports fan, his athleticism and playmaking ability are unheralded. ”

I’m sure you didn’t mean to use the word “unheralded,” which I’m not sure is even a word. But if you meant under-appreciated, you must be kidding. Michael Vick is without question the most overrated athlete in the history of professional sports!