Del Rio’s departure seems like a matter of time

Jack Del Rio, Dwight Lowery AP

In Jacksonville, Jack Del Rio’s future no longer seems like an open-ended question.

Gene Frenette of the Florida Times-Union writes that it “seems like only a matter of time” before Del Rio is let go. We’ve heard the same thing from Vito Stellino of the same paper; the only question is when Del Rio goes.

Del Rio alternated between despondent and exasperated in his post-game presser.  He lamented the team’s red zone woes:

“How does the game feel when you have 21 points [at halftime] instead of 13?” Del Rio said. “I’m seeing those things and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Holy cow, you have to be ——ing me — it’s unbelievable.”

The Jaguars coach also blamed his punter and punt returner for their mistakes late on Sunday. The Jaguars players say that Del Rio doesn’t bear the blame, but he’s likely to get blamed anyhow.

Jacksonville could be 1-7 heading into their bye with games against the Steelers, Ravens, and Texans coming up.

That Week Nine bye makes sense as when a “matter of time” turns into reality.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Del Rio’s departure seems like a matter of time”
  1. countsnail says: Oct 10, 2011 12:36 PM

So in other words, Del Rio shouldn’t bother looking at property in L.A., because he won’t be moving with the team.

2. tombradyallday says: Oct 10, 2011 12:37 PM

u know wat the bye week means, bye bye coach. shoulda neva let garard go

3. jwil06 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:38 PM

Good riddance. The entire year has been a complete example of his entire tenure in Jacksonville. Decently talented teams showing up ill-prepared.

4. steelerfan999 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:39 PM

GEAT COACH, SORRY ASS ORGANAZATION!!!!

5. steelerfan999 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:39 PM

GREAT COACH

6. pete4192 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:39 PM

all part of the charade being pulled on jax fans

7. jhart615 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:41 PM

As a Jaguars fan, all I can say is that it is definitely his time to go. This is a talented, young, football team despite what most of the country thinks, but the coaching is holding the team back. Whether it be the gameplanning, the playcalling, or anything else, it all falls back to the coaching. Gabbert will be great. He’s shown in these 3 starts of his that he can be special. Sure there have been growing pains, but everybody expected that. Ownership has GOT to address the receiver position in the draft next year because it’s been neglected for far too long. Gabbert will never become what he can be with Jason Hill and Mike Thomas as his go to guys. But regardless, with a new coaching staff, another year of Gabbert experience, combined with our new and drastically improved defense, this team really could be a playoff contender in the AFC south next year.

8. edukator4 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:41 PM

red zone woes? how about keeping jones drew in the game instead of karim. the guy is your best player why is he not in there for every red zone play?

9. cobrala2 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:42 PM

He’s a bum and has been a bum. He’s been TRYING to be a head coach as hard as he can but he’s not one.

Just ask Hank Stram’s tailor – Del Rio is the type to try to dress his way to success. In the NFL. I felt patronized, and I’m not a player of his nor a fan of the Jags.

10. johnnyjagfan says: Oct 10, 2011 12:43 PM

If letting Garrard go was the best “pure football” decision JDR could make, then he should go because he obviously can’t evaluate talent.

What’s really making me ready to make him walk is the constant subbing out of MDJ and doing some goofy trick draw play that my wife can even tell is coming. That’s why we’re sitting inside the 5 and going nowhere, taking FGs.

11. worstposterever says: Oct 10, 2011 12:46 PM

Wonder why… obviously this is a side effect of the rules changes.

12. arrogantathlete says: Oct 10, 2011 12:47 PM

Haha…You should look at video of him…he looked like he was about to crack up during the press conference.

13. groomerofthestool says: Oct 10, 2011 12:47 PM

As a season ticket holder I’ve paid for the right to bitch! For all you folks bashing the JAG’s fan base for not going to the game? Give me a break. That was garbage! I wouldn’t fire Jack. I’d relieve him from his coaching duties though. I bet he could be a great waterboy. If Weaver has to pay out his contract at least he’d get something for it! As far as Turk goes. Yikes the club footed dude has gotta go! ……..

14. swagjag says: Oct 10, 2011 12:52 PM

Del Rio is Spanish for “incapable of making a halftime adjustment.”

15. ogre2010 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:53 PM

Believe it when I see it!!

16. bertilfox says: Oct 10, 2011 12:55 PM

Man, I saw them play the Pats in preseason and Tony Boselli said that the Jags were a Playoff Team. Maybe I mis-heard him. Is is possible he said that the Jags were a layoff team? Somewhere, Rodney Harrison is chuckling…

17. realitypolice says: Oct 10, 2011 12:55 PM

That Week Nine bye makes sense as when a “matter of time” turns into reality.
    ===================
    Firing a coach during the season rarely, if ever, makes sense.

What do you hope to accomplish? The best case scenario sometimes turns out to be the worst case scenario- the team turns it around and wins just enough games to ruin your draft position and create pressure to take the “interim” tag off of a coach you probably didn’t want (I’m looking at you, Leslie Frazier), but not enough games to make the playoffs.

Should the Jags, continue to lose, they can- thanks to the rookie wage scale- justify taking Andrew Luck despite having just drafted Gabbert (unlike the Rams, who 50 million guaranteed tied up in Bradford).

So to reiterate, why risk bringing someone in who, if they are successful, probably accomplish nothing more than ruining your draft position?

To re

18. bryqan says: Oct 10, 2011 12:56 PM

Del Rio might be fired in the next 24 hours along with Matt Turk.

19. facelessman75 says: Oct 10, 2011 12:57 PM

He is a decent Coach. Jags never had a great QB or Great Receivers, but managed some competitive years. Losing and media pressure is getting to him. He wont survive.
    I think he could be a Head Coach in the league again IF he handles this firing/resigning with Class.
    MJD and fred jones were great talent but not enough. Blame Management not the HC for that.

20. Deb says: Oct 10, 2011 1:03 PM

Unfortunately, his next game is against my Steelers, which means I have to hope he’s soundly beaten. But Del Rio’s a good guy, and I won’t enjoy rooting against him.

And tombradyallday, I don’t know exactly how Garrard’s exit from Jacksonville came about. But based on his strange comments regarding the Dolphins opportunity, the Jaguars are probably better off without him. It doesn’t sound as though he’s really anxious to play.

21. northshorejag says: Oct 10, 2011 1:12 PM

I was in Jacksonville this weekend and the cab driver told me he’s already sold his house.

See ya

Typical JDR. Blame somebody else.

22. mrcosio says: Oct 10, 2011 1:12 PM

@ countsnail: he still should since he’ll be USC’s new coach

23. johnnyjagfan says: Oct 10, 2011 1:23 PM

Deb: what fact or facts lend you to say Del Rio is a “good guy?” He’ll sell out his players in a minute. When he dumped Byron he lauded himself as “bold,” then dumps Garrard in the same way after introducing him as starter to the Chamber of Commerce. He’s never been a “good guy” as a player or a coach. He’s about one thing: himself.

Garrard didn’t want to go to Miami and keep Henne’s seat warm for next season. I applaud that decision. Its not about not wanting to play. If I was out of work and got an offer that didn’t look good for my career or my family, I wouldn’t take the job either. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to work.

24. mwcarolina says: Oct 10, 2011 1:32 PM

————————————————–
    i cant agree on the Jags justifhing taking Andrew Luck. Look at it like this. Gabbert has played well, SECOND, this team traded up to get Gabbert it would be a HUGE mistake.

25. shallowfan says: Oct 10, 2011 1:47 PM

If Del Rio is the coach next season you know the owner or others are to blame for the poor way the organization is run and it’s not all Del Rio’s fault.

26. 89seminole says: Oct 10, 2011 1:48 PM

Hello Bill, Bill Cowher, this is Wayne Weaver. Do you have a minute? How much will it take?

27. udtfrogmanvet says: Oct 10, 2011 2:00 PM

He’ll save a lot of water in Jax when he leaves.

@tombradyallday. Spell check is free. Good thing you’re a Patriots fan because that’s about the only good thing you have going for you.

The only easy day was yesterday…

28. udtfrogmanvet says: Oct 10, 2011 2:04 PM

@mwcarolina. Picking up Luck would be great. Look at all the draft picks you can get for him.

The only easy day was yesterday…

29. realitypolice says: Oct 10, 2011 2:08 PM

mwcarolina says:
    Oct 10, 2011 1:32 PM
    ————————————————–
    ========================

Please tell me you’re joking. So you’re saying that the Jags should pass up a once-in-a-generation talent, who has been compared to Peyton Manning with more athleticism, in favor of a guy who has “played well” (49% completion percentage, and a 71 qb rating) ??

Are you sure your name isn’t Jeff Ireland?

30. udtfrogmanvet says: Oct 10, 2011 2:08 PM

@facelessman75. Yeah Fred Jones and Greg Taylor were great Jags. So was Keenan Smith and Jimmy McCardell.

The only easy day was yesterday…

31. rushmatic says: Oct 10, 2011 2:13 PM

steelerfan999 says:
    Oct 10, 2011 12:39 PM
    GREAT COACH

_________________

Sometimes I like to picture what these mouth-breathing, all-caps-using, bad spelling idiots look like in real life.

This particular offender I imagine looks something like guy from the world of warcraft episode of south park. Pimples, navel lint, sweat, fat, pony tail, etc.

32. robigd says: Oct 10, 2011 2:22 PM

For the most part, this is the most “mature” Jaguar conversation I have ever seen in posts following an article about the Jaguars.

33. nationalmediacansuckit says: Oct 10, 2011 2:29 PM

It’s not just Del Rio it’s OC Dirk Koetter, its o-line, it’s the WR, it’s the punter. Gabbert, MJD and the defense are the only positives. By the way, to all you outsiders that don’t anything about this team Garrard would not have made that much of a difference. 9 years of Del Rio and nothing to show for it. I know it, fans know, media knows it, and more importantly Wayne Weaver knows it.

34. Deb says: Oct 10, 2011 2:39 PM

@johnnyjagfan …

A few years ago, Del Rio did a classy thing he didn’t have to do when the Jags were playing the Steelers; it left a lasting impression with me. Mike wrote an article not long ago about a quiet act of kindness he did for someone else. You’re viewing him through the narrow lens of a fan who’s frustrated with his lack of coaching productivity. I understand that. But there’s more to people than how well or how poorly they perform on the job.

As for how he treats players, he didn’t proclaim himself bold after choosing Garrard over Leftwich. The media proclaimed him bold–and it was the right move for the organization. I love Byron, who’s been an able backup for the Steelers. But he’s not equipped to be a starting QB.

The Garrard situation isn’t the same as the one in your analogy. He works in a field where there are only 32 starting jobs and he’s made it clear he doesn’t want a backup role. Now he’s saying he wants only to go to a team that’s already successful. Well, teams that are already successful don’t need new starting quarterbacks. When you put that many restrictions on taking a job, the unspoken implication is that you don’t really want a job … which is what the Dolphins said when they passed. It’s possible lack of motivation is also why the Jags let him go and that they’ve done him a kindness by not making that public. The truth is that none of us knows exactly what happened there. We only know he doesn’t behave like a man anxious to get back to work.

Maybe Del Rio’s not a good guy, but what I’ve seen of him has been positive … except for his lack of coaching success.

35. mywifegavemecrabtree says: Oct 10, 2011 2:50 PM

Writing as a Colts fan, trust me, he’s better than the guy we have.

36. johnnyjagfan says: Oct 10, 2011 2:52 PM

Deb-

I watched the press conference when Jack called himself “bold” for cutting Byron. It happened.

I wouldn’t want to go to Miami either. 0-4 and he gets to only play this season as the starter. They’re going back to Henne & the coaching situation in Miami is probably more unstable than Jax.

I’ve been to three Jags games at Pittsburgh & will be flying up this weekend to go again. If we don’t come home with a win I hope they leave Jack in Pittsburgh the way SF left Singletary behind. I’m sick of the man and its not just about coaching. He promised Weaver “no three yards and a cloud of dust” style of play and that’s about all we’ve been. We’ve got no WRs worth playing and even when we’re running well, we get in 3rd and 8 and put in a 3rd stringer and run a draw. Its awful football.

37. favreforever says: Oct 10, 2011 3:37 PM

Del Rio is the classiest H.C. in the league. It isn’t close. Probably the most intelligent as well. The same can be said of Wayne Weaver in terms of ownership. That why he sticks with Jack. They are kindred souls. Now they have their counterpart on the field in Gabbert. Be a shame to break the trio up, I think. Like to see them stick together a few years, wherever it may be.

Also, Gabbert will be better QB than Luck in NFL. Blaine is younger, bigger, smarter, faster, and has a better arm.

38. canadianhonky says: Oct 10, 2011 3:49 PM

Garrard was a choker and the head coach who is “incapable of making a halftime adjustment.” is also a choker.
    Time to move on Jags cause currently your brutally crappy starting from the GM, Coach and Defensive Coordinator…
    This team has to be rejuvenated before they have decent run…just saying fire the Coach and GM would help the healing.

39. mjdstwittervoice says: Oct 10, 2011 3:52 PM

Like I usually do during Jaguar games, I’m going to sleep. Wake me up when week 9 gets here!

40. mjdstwittervoice says: Oct 10, 2011 3:55 PM

Somebody please refer farveforever to a good facility. He’s obviously hooked on crack to think Jack is the classiest and smartest coach in the league……Or maybe, JDR has an account so he can post on PFT.com

41. whatswiththehate says: Oct 10, 2011 3:57 PM

bryqan says:Oct 10, 2011 12:56 PM

“Del Rio might be fired in the next 24 hours along with Matt Turk.

Also impressive that the first comment was about the Jags moving to LA and the second was someone who cannot spell properly talking about Garrard. If Garrard was any good why is he unemployed?”

I guess if David had as much excuse made for his game as Blaine, he would be still employeed. Funny that as soon as the Jags let him go, many felt that there were teams who could use him.
    —————–
    realitypolice says:Oct 10, 2011 2:08 PM

So you’re saying that the Jags should pass up a once-in-a-generation talent, who has been compared to Peyton Manning with more athleticism, in favor of a guy who has “played well” (49% completion percentage, and a 71 qb rating) ??”
    ————
    I believe ur ID is “realitypolice..” If u seriously believe that Blaine is better than Peyton based solely on those who deaparately wanted to sell u Blaine as a top QB pick, ur not being very realistic are U?

42. schmitty2 says: Oct 10, 2011 4:18 PM

You have to look at one of the tell tale signs it’s time to go..Why is MJD not involved in the passing game?? The guy has been one of the better receiving RB’s in the league for awhile now and now he is almost non existent. Swing passes are exactly what Gabbert needs to open things up downfield

43. blackdonnelly says: Oct 10, 2011 4:37 PM

Well, some ex-players (or coordinators/assistants) simply are not cut out to be good head coaches – that’s been proven time and time again. Having said that, something had better happen in Jacksonville, and fast. The fans deserve a LOT more and a lot better than what they’re getting, and I say this as a Raiders fan.

44. blackdonnelly says: Oct 10, 2011 4:51 PM

And…..if even if they manage to sell or pull a monster move to LA, that’s not going to solve the problem. But from what I’ve read in Jacksonville media as well as this tripe pile, I have to assume the problem goes all the way up to ownership.

Hang in there, Jags fans. Something HAS to give.

45. Deb says: Oct 10, 2011 5:35 PM

@johnnyjagfan …

Have to give you credit for team loyalty despite their record. Sorry on the “bold” thing–I thought the media hung that on him. If it were my team, I’d be ready for him to go, too. Don’t understand what went wrong–a few years ago when they beat us in the playoffs, he seemed to have them headed in the right direction. Perhaps he’d be better suited to a coordinator’s position.

I’m in Fla. and would love to trade places with you Sunday. Sorry I can’t wish you luck, but hope you at least have a nice trip :)

46. wakexxl says: Oct 10, 2011 8:14 PM

SUIT UP DEL RIO!! NEED YOU TO PLAY IN DENVER!!!

47. golonger says: Oct 10, 2011 9:28 PM

favreforever – you are friggin clueless………first of all Del Rio has proven he is a terrible coach…..and a moron….you dont cut your starting QB right at the beginning of the season…….he did it TWICE…..a true moron……he is crap and so is the Jags organization in general……never should have gotten an NFL team to begin with.

If the Indy and Jax disappeared from the NFL map and were replaced by LA………all would be right in NFL land!

48. jacksonvilledave says: Oct 11, 2011 2:29 PM

@golonger

keep dreaming!

49. ottograham says: Oct 11, 2011 3:40 PM

I hear Jacksonvilles hearbeat grow louder and faster everyday closer to Sunday. Heinz Field is going to own the Jags. Unfortunately Andrew Luck isnt worth anything to you guys. Hope your boys dont unpack their bags downtown Pittsburgh cause they will literally be running for the plane after the game. Not sure where I am going with this but I feel like Jacksonville pages dont really get blown up with trash talk…