Saints broadcaster rips Jeremy Shockey

Jeremy Shockey,  Malcolm Jenkins AP

Former Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey got a crack at his old team on Sunday, months after the Saints cut him loose.  And Shockey had a chip on his shoulder.

With three catches for 21 yards in the game, we’d hate to see what his stat line would have been if he didn’t have a chip on his shoulder.

Shockey generated some strong post-game comments from Jim Henderson, who handles the play-by-play of the radio broadcasts for the Saints. Earlier this year, Henderson threw dirt (possibly mixed with manure) on the Saints legacy of Reggie Bush.  Sunday, Henderson called it like he sees it regarding Shockey, supposedly one of coach Sean Payton’s favorite players of all time.

I never liked Jeremy Shockey,” Henderson said.  “I didn’t like him as a Giant.  I didn’t like him as a Saint.  I didn’t think he fit in with this team in the locker room.  And the Saints to their credit said all the right things about him.  You know, ‘He was a great teammate.  He was a mentor to Jimmy Graham.’  I think that’s bull.  I think deep down inside, I think they thought he was a jerk, too.”

I think it’s great that the Panthers and Saints are in the same division, since it means that Shockey and Henderson will be in the same building again later this year.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
52 Responses to “Saints broadcaster rips Jeremy Shockey”
  1. saintsfan1111 says: Oct 10, 2011 2:15 PM

Shockey is the baby huey of the NFL. He’s a classless bafoon, and has successfully burned his bridges in New York and now New Orleans. Sean Payton rescued his career, which generated a superbowl win for him. How does he respond? Like a complete jerk. He sprinted to the locker room after the loss, and refused to shake any Saints hands. Drew Brees said of the 2009-10 club, that the team would always walk together as champions. Well, you can remove Shockey from that equation. He will never be remember for his skills…just his mouth and attitude.

2. waxedagain says: Oct 10, 2011 2:18 PM

Henderson is a great reason to root against the Saints.

3. mdd913 says: Oct 10, 2011 2:22 PM

Shockey was a jerk and still is. One of the most unlikable players to ever put on a Saints uniform.

4. medtxpack says: Oct 10, 2011 2:22 PM

why does everyone associated with the Saints believe they are God’s gift to football. Yes your team is good this year and has been for a bit, you have a Top 5 QB, focus on the here and now. C’mon people!

5. east96st says: Oct 10, 2011 2:24 PM

“I think that’s bull. I think deep down inside, I think they thought he was a jerk, too.”

Jerk is the nicest four letter word you can use to describe Shockey. I applaud Henderson for using restraint.

6. robf2010 says: Oct 10, 2011 2:24 PM

Henderson is right, though. He IS a jerk. He’s an ordinary tight end with a larger-than-ordinary mouth. He’ll always get credit from me for the game-winning touchdown in the Super Bowl but he hardly contributed anything other than that for the whole time he was here.

7. trbowman says: Oct 10, 2011 2:25 PM

“Earlier this year, Henderson threw dirt (possibly mixed with manure) on the Saints legacy of Reggie Bush. ”

I’d hate to see what Bush would be like if he didn’t work hard.

8. ehatem says: Oct 10, 2011 2:26 PM

You should have heard Henderson and Gajun during the game. Shockey flipped the Saints bench off and they ripped into him. According to their sideline reporter, after the half Gregg Williams had words with Shockey because of the flipping off thing. Don’t know what was said, but Williams jawed at him quite a bit. But Henderson held his fire on Shockey until he flipped the Saints off. Then it was like an unsaid truce was broken and the floodgates opened. Henderson is a class act. For him to go off like that Shockey must have really gotten under his skin.

9. axespray says: Oct 10, 2011 2:29 PM

“He was a mentor to Jimmy Graham.’ I think that’s bull. I think deep down inside, I think they thought he was a jerk, too”

wait a sec, Jimmy Graham doesn’t get under your skin ala’ Jeremy Shockey?

Then I guess it’s just me then.

10. AlanSaysYo says: Oct 10, 2011 2:30 PM

I’ve found the Saints announcers to be homers in general. But in this case, the guy is right.

11. philwauke says: Oct 10, 2011 2:31 PM

Saints fan have stuck with their team for 40 years waiting for a winner so we finally have one and we’re going to enjoy it. You don’t like it? Oh well.

12. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 10, 2011 2:40 PM

Who cares what he thinks? Shockey is an ahole, for sure. And as a Giants fan, I can attest to this, but goodness…

13. chiktikka says: Oct 10, 2011 2:47 PM

He’s actually been an overwhelmingly positive presence for the Panthers. And he’s a much better tight end than Graham.

14. axespray says: Oct 10, 2011 2:49 PM

“Shockey flipped the Saints bench off and they ripped into him.”

Oh, well in that case… hit him up with that kurt/favre defense from the playoffs and pop him a bit…. or at least tell Roman Harper, “Shockey! Shockey, not steve!”

15. comeonnowguys says: Oct 10, 2011 2:53 PM

‘He was a mentor to Jimmy Graham.’

Well at least that explains why Graham is a raging a$$hat. Nurture, not nature, apparently.

16. chiktikka says: Oct 10, 2011 2:56 PM

It looked like Premier League soccer out there with Graham flopping all over the field.

17. schmitty2 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:05 PM

chiktikka says:
    Oct 10, 2011 2:47 PM

Wow, what are you smoking? Shocky isn’t even the best TE on his own team! Graham is well on his way to being another Antonio Gates

18. jerlee7 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:08 PM

I am not going to defend Shockey, but as anyone with sirius satellite radio can attest, when you listen to other teams radio crews, compared to the Saints, this dude and his partner are 2 of the biggest hacks on radio.

19. purplegreenandgold says: Oct 10, 2011 3:09 PM

“With three catches for 21 yards in the game”
    nuff said!!!!

20. goforthanddie says: Oct 10, 2011 3:10 PM

Shockey’s a douchenozzle.

21. scra22 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:13 PM

Henderson is well established in the New Orleans sports media and is well respected. If he comes out and speaks against someone, it is probably justified. In this case, Shockey brought it out of Jim by his actions during the game (flipping off the Saints sideline, apparently) and after (running to the locker room instead of shaking hands).

22. canadianhonky says: Oct 10, 2011 3:14 PM

Say it to his face tough guy..

23. scra22 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:18 PM

waxedagain says:
    Oct 10, 2011 2:18 PM
    Henderson is a great reason to root against the Saints.
    ====

Nah, he’s probably not even Top 25. Generally a well-respected, stand-up guy. His latest rants against Shockey and Bush are rare for him, which leads me to believe that as a member of the N.O. media he knows more about them and their locker room presence than maybe the common fan would have been able to find out about. He doesn’t hate just to hate.

24. thespeaker08 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:22 PM

I suppose Roman Harper and his dirty hit on Smith this past Sunday makes him second in innocence only to baby Jesus?

25. pantherguy344 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:28 PM

What did that guy have to say about the 2 unsportsmanlike penalties the saints had by harper and mark “I wish I was as great of a player as Newton” ingram? That imitation is the closest he’ll ever get to rookie of the year.

26. slopmcflop says: Oct 10, 2011 3:32 PM

Must be a touchy subject for someone at PFT, half the comments on this post got wiped.

27. scra22 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:36 PM

pantherguy344 says:
    Oct 10, 2011 3:28 PM
    =====

Ohhh waaaah. Be happy you got the flags, I’m not sure what Malcolm Jenkins did but Steve Smith throws him to ground ripping at his facemask and all the refs do is watch. Steve Smith has always been a punk and will always be a punk. Mark Ingram got a forearm to the face and he did a little dance, cry me a freaking river.

28. scomibord says: Oct 10, 2011 3:44 PM

29. beedubyatoo says: Oct 10, 2011 3:52 PM

Headline in the Green Bay Press Gazette on Friday morning, 09/09, after the Saints/Packers’ game

Take dat!

30. 504in860 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:56 PM

beedubyatoo says:
    Oct 10, 2011 3:52 PM

Take dat!
    ———————————————

Umm…okay.

31. 504in860 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:57 PM

I wonder what Henderson had to say about that phantom RTP penalty against the Saints that led to Carolina scoring a TD they didn’t deserve.

32. thespeaker08 says: Oct 10, 2011 3:57 PM

scra22

I guess your high school diploma would limit your ability to reason what actually happened there.

33. prmpft says: Oct 10, 2011 4:03 PM

…once a JACKASS always JACKASS – the first person off the field says it all!!!

34. jwreck says: Oct 10, 2011 4:03 PM

on the subject of Shockey vs. Graham
    Graham has put up 63 fantasy points this season and is owned in 98% of Yahoo leagues.
    Shockey has put up 19 points and is owned in 8% of leagues.
    Graham is 24.
    Shockey is 31.
    These are facts.
    Who would you rather have on your team?

35. dukemarc says: Oct 10, 2011 4:07 PM

scomibord says: Oct 10, 2011 3:44 PM

———————————

The kid’s very talented, but I think some folks aren’t enamored with the typical “The U” behavior he’s shown on the field from time to time.

36. scra22 says: Oct 10, 2011 4:16 PM

thespeaker08 says:
    Oct 10, 2011 3:57 PM
    scra22

====
    Actually, it would probably take a 6th-grade education minimum to reason what goes on in Steve Smith’s head as he tries to rip some guy’s head off. I am probably actually too educated to be able to understand it.

But in all seriousness, how about enlightening me rather than just going for the insult? Harper had a late hit, he deserved the penalty and the fine he’s likely getting. The players all start getting in each other’s faces, Roman Harper’s getting pushed around, and all of a sudden there is Steve Smith dragging around Malcolm Jenkins on the ground. Did Jenkins say something to him? Likely yes. Did Smith deserve a flag? Yes. But there was nothing. So I don’t want to hear any more crying from you guys about that. Steve Smith can clearly take it since he dishes it out so easily. You got your flag. Move on.

37. jnova80 says: Oct 10, 2011 4:16 PM

Strange, I never really liked the guy either for some reason. He just looks like a huge douche that probably wears Tapout apparel when he’s out in the real world. And this is coming from a Miami fan.

38. rajuncajun28 says: Oct 10, 2011 4:18 PM

Saints got the W, regardless…Anyone who really knows Henderson, knows he is a class act…always has been…those who don’t know know him are making uneducated, ignorant comments….and, the pathetic, delusional Panthers fans….good lord, get over the loss from yesterday….move on….we won, you lost….it was a tough, dirty, physical game….

39. axespray says: Oct 10, 2011 4:25 PM

scomibord says:Oct 10, 2011 3:44 PM
    “What’s with all the hate on Graham, the kid does nothing but produce. Three straight 100 yard games. Is he just better than your teams TE???”

nah, not about numbers.
    Dude just has that ….idk, Tito Ortiz vibe to him.
    That really unlikeable gym guy vibe, like if he were on your team in gym class, he’d still come across as a very unlikeable clown that jumps around too much.

40. schmitty2 says: Oct 10, 2011 4:37 PM

dukemarc says:
    Oct 10, 2011 4:07 PM
    scomibord says: Oct 10, 2011 3:44 PM

———————————

“The U’ behavior can be many things like Shockey being so wasted at a Vegas pool he needed to go to the hospital oh and flipping off former teamates during a game. I think Grahams antics aren’t as bad IMO

41. n0hopeleft says: Oct 10, 2011 4:57 PM

I’m a life long GMeN season ticket holder. As one of the “younger” season ticket holders, I was excited when we drafted Shockey. I defended him at times when he acted completely out of Giants character because our team lacked energy, lacked a fire for awhile.

After the pictures of Jeremy puffing on a bong at the Jersey Shore surfaced – I stopped defending him. What a dbag.

Im not saying puffing the Ganj makes him a bad guy – but when you run your mouth every week, show off in games after every catch, drop passes in huge spots, etc. You cant be putting yourself out like that in public.

Especially since everyone knows that dirty Philly fans hang out in South Jersey, and they love to hate and ruin any Giant (especially one that dominated their beloved Brian Dawkins).

42. pantherguy344 says: Oct 10, 2011 5:13 PM

@scra

You completely missed the point. Shocked shot the bench the rod and the announcer had a meltdown. Did ingram and harper get similar treatment from him? Probably not. Try to keep up.

43. pmars64 says: Oct 10, 2011 5:21 PM

As a Saints fan, I really don’t care if Shockey is a jerk. Let’s be real. How many jerks continue to play for and coach for the Saints? Isn’t that typical for any football team? These aren’t choir boys. I’m sure most of us would have second thoughts about our favorite teams if we knew the truth about these guys and their personal histories. The NFL likes to keep those things under raps for sure.

As for Harper’s hit, it was definitely a cheap shot. But, so what? A couple years back after Smith beat up on a Panther cornerback, the Panthers own defensive backs went to Fox and told him if he didn’t reign in Smith, they would, and they promised Fox it wouldn’t be pretty.

Now, that’s football.

44. deepsouthrunner says: Oct 10, 2011 5:56 PM

pantherguy344 says: Oct 10, 2011 5:13 PM
    @scra
    ====

I didn’t miss your original point, I chose to ignore it because I think it’s irrelevant. Since you insist, I’ll respond to that aspect.

1) Jim Henderson may very well have said Harper’s hit was bad or that Ingram shouldn’t have taunted. I wasn’t listening at that point so I don’t know. He is not afraid to criticize current Saints when it’s warranted.

2) No one expects Roman Harper and Steve Smith to get along. It gets chippy in almost all football games, and especially between division rivals in the heat of the game. On the other hand, Shockey said he respected his old teammates and showed it by flipping them off and refusing to shake hands. And like I said in another post, Henderson may very well be aware of some Shockey dirt that never got out to the public, being so close to the inner workings of the team.

He wasn’t solely talking about Shockey’s behavior during the game. He was alluding to behavior that occurred during Shockey’s tenure in N.O.

45. panthersfan83 says: Oct 10, 2011 6:01 PM

Some people amaze me!!!!!!!! Really you are gonna talk junk about Smith after the cheap shot he took and was taking the high road. If the rest of the saints would’ve stayed outta it it wouldn’t have gone any farther. Then the flop Graham did after the field goal attempt!!!!! Somebody needs to tell him this ain’t basketball. Shockey doesn’t bother me because he has heart. Smith and Shockey have the same intensity on the field and i love it. Graham is a great player but we are missing two of our best players on D. A healthy Thomas Davis would shut him down!!!

46. scra22 says: Oct 10, 2011 6:02 PM

Last post was me (to pantherguy), accidentally posted under a personal account I don’t use for commenting here. My apologies PFT, I am not trying to be 2 people ;)

47. nofunleague says: Oct 10, 2011 6:29 PM

As a Bucs fan, and being in the same division as the Saints, I still have room in my sould to root for them. Shockey madxe one play years ago when he hurdled a defensive player to gain a few more yards and the world went nuts. He was the next world hero. One play doth a hero not make. Running off of the field, a jerk doth make.

48. mwcarolina says: Oct 10, 2011 6:56 PM

i understand the broadcaster ripping on Bush (he deserves it), but not on Shockey. Shockey wasnt great or wasnt the best man there, but he was NOT like he was as a Giant and he didnt seem to be jerk when Jimmy Graham took his job, so i cant say he was a jerk or as big of one. AS for Bush, i agree there. he’s one of those guys where you just want him to show you that he’s the best, but he lets you down.

49. tarheelpirate says: Oct 10, 2011 7:30 PM

Roman Harper was responsible for the game’s dirtiest play with a cheap shot, and Mark Ingram got flagged for taunting, but the worst thing I saw was Jimmy Graham’s “dook flop” at the end of the first half. And Saints fans are calling Shockey a douche? Please. I thought Graham played hoops at the U. He must have watched too much film of the dookies. What a punk move. Did this announcer say anything about these Saintly Saints?

Would this “classy” announcer say anything to Shockey’s face? No? I didn’t think so. There is no doubt that Shockey is a player that you hate, unless he’s on your team, but why say you never liked him. I bet when Shockey played for the Saints, this guy was all in Bush’s and Shockey’s jock.

And I assure you that none of the Saints DB’s want to have anything to do with Steve Smith. Not on the field, and not off the field. Malcolm Jenkins can thank Roman Harper for that @zz-whoopin’ Steve Smith gave him. Wrong place, wrong time.

There are fan-bases that have thin skin, but no fan base has thinner skin than Saints fans. You would think that Saints fans would have developed thicker skins through all of those years of suckdom, but I guess not.

50. 504in860 says: Oct 10, 2011 11:40 PM

Tarheelpirate sounds like he(?) needs a blankie.

Speaking of not having thick skin…

Prepare for a monumental beatdown in the dome later this season…unless the Saints are resting their starters like they do often against the Panthers late in the season.

51. mdd913 says: Oct 11, 2011 1:22 AM

————————————————————–

Awwww, come on cheer up, bitter boy. At least you’re still in the running for the #1 draft pick!

52. sabrespook says: Oct 25, 2011 12:21 AM

OK. A bunch of Shockey haters post here. Got it.

Let’s face it folks, NFL is just like “pro wrastlin”. It’s scripted entertainment. Shockey has done more to bring attention to the tight end position than most. Because the NFL wants good entertainers, ya gotta love Shockey. His only issue is aging out of the prime acting age.

Tight ends are the game makers. Jeremy Shockey is a good one.

In a business of professional jerks, how can you single out just one? Gee, where’s Jake Plummer when you need him? Or Conrad Dobler? Seriously, Shockey doesn’t even come close to the NFL’s standard of being a jerk.