Tarvaris Jackson has “high-grade” pectoral strain

Tarvaris Jackson AP

The change at quarterback that many fans in Seattle have hoped for could come because of injury.

Coach Pete Carroll said Monday that Tarvaris Jackson suffered a “high-grade strain” of his pectoral muscle.  While the injury doesn’t too serious long term, Jackson won’t practice during the next two days during the team’s bye.

“He had an MRI, and it showed that there some stuff there, and we just have to see how it responds. He didn’t rehab today. He felt better today than he did yesterday, but we don’t know. We won’t know for a while,” Carroll said via Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times.

Look for Jackson to be listed as questionable with “stuff” next week. If Jackson is healthy, Carroll made it pretty clear Sunday that Charlie Whitehurst won’t be starting Seattle’s next game.

On Whitehurst:  “I don’t think Charlie did anything phenomenal today. I thought he did what he does. He’s a good football player. And he knows our system and he handled himself well.”

On Jackson: “There’s been a lot of people that have talked about Tarvaris and had a lot of opinions about him, but this guy’s a baller.”

The Seahawks will also practice without tight end Zach Miller, who has a neck/head injury. The team lost special teamer Jameson Konz for the season with a torn ACL.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Tarvaris Jackson has “high-grade” pectoral strain”
  1. beerandtitties says: Oct 10, 2011 7:15 PM

I’m gonna have to recommend amputation.

2. thejuddstir says: Oct 10, 2011 7:15 PM

It’s the first time in TJoke’s career that he received a “high grade” in anything!

3. rtl1984 says: Oct 10, 2011 7:18 PM

Is it sad that I would rather see T-Jack than McNabb under center for the Vikings?

No. 5 is making me miss No. 7, which frightens me.

4. nineroutsider says: Oct 10, 2011 7:20 PM

Perfect, I don’t want Seattle to be a threat, but I don’t want them to “suck for Luck” either. This season is working out well. Lord knows 9er fans deserve it!

5. 730boy says: Oct 10, 2011 7:25 PM

best news seattle can get.. overpaid bum.. when they gave t-jack that contract i was shocked! than i remembered it was seattle doing it so it all made sense.

6. polishrod says: Oct 10, 2011 7:27 PM

——————-

And now, the Seahawks FAN version of this comment:

“I don’t think PETE did anything phenomenal today. I thought he did what he does. He’s a below average football coach. And he knows our system and he handled himself well.”

7. shieldsisland37 says: Oct 10, 2011 7:28 PM

OH NO!!! lol, who cares. Seachickens are going no where this year.

8. norcal031 says: Oct 10, 2011 7:29 PM

So thats why hes been so bad? It must be too high grade. I never heard of the pectoral strain. must be some DANK!!!!!

9. favreforever says: Oct 10, 2011 7:32 PM

Jackson has been accused of high-grading muscle strains in the past.

10. trbowman says: Oct 10, 2011 7:33 PM

He really, really doesn’t like Whitehurst’s game.

11. goawayeverybody says: Oct 10, 2011 7:40 PM

I have to say, I’ve been fairly impressed with Tarvaris so far. I mean, his O-line does not protect him AT ALL and yet he’s still out there making plays. He’s not brilliant but quarterback play is the least of the Seahawks’ worries right now.

12. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 10, 2011 7:49 PM

Rubbish.
    Having followed the Vikings for years, I can assure you that the term “high-grade” anything has never been associated with Tavaris Jackson.

Thankyew! I’ll been here until the end of the week, folks. Try the veal, and make sure to tip your bartender!

13. seahawks4alltime says: Oct 10, 2011 7:49 PM

Clipboard Jesus brought us home the win. He continued the game much as TJack might have had he played the rest of the game.

14. shawon0meter says: Oct 10, 2011 7:50 PM

I hope he’s alright. He was improving every game and looked good last week and seemed to be continuing that in yesterday’s game.

15. canadianhonky says: Oct 10, 2011 7:50 PM

ouch.

16. jakek2 says: Oct 10, 2011 7:59 PM

And that is why Carroll will never will anything substantial in the NFL.

I am a Giants’ fan and knew we were dead as soon as Whitehurst came in. Jackson is as inaccurate as Donovan McNabb if McNabb was wearing a blindfold. Had Whitehurst started the game, the Giants would have lost by 30.

Get ready Seahawks fans. Your coach is about to trade a bunch of picks to get his USC star Leinart back. Sorry guys.

17. beastofeden says: Oct 10, 2011 8:03 PM

All of you that are in love with Tarvaris’ patented ‘Jump Pass’ will have to wait a couple more weeks

18. vahawker says: Oct 10, 2011 8:12 PM

I don’t think Jackson has done anything phenomenal in 5 years. Unless you count being phenomenally unimpressive in between bouts of being phenomenally horrid. TJ’s agent must have some photos of PC. I can think of no other logical reason for his misplaced man crush on TJ. He is not a rookie, this is as good as he is going to get.

19. deconjonesbitchslap says: Oct 10, 2011 8:33 PM

this has been what i was saying for the past 5 years: he gets hurt. that’s why he was never a long term solution at QB. he just can’t seem to catch some good luck, because now he has to fight whitehurst for the job. he was playing decently too.

20. snoqualmieterry says: Oct 10, 2011 8:44 PM

Most of the comments are very hateful. Not a Christian among you. Probably all minimum wage or unemployed or retired Microsoftees. I think the Hawks are improving. They aren’t good yet, but they are improving.

21. The Phantom Stranger says: Oct 10, 2011 8:52 PM

I want to take this opportunity to officially apologize to Seahawks Nation for my comments during the preseason suggesting that Donovan McNabb was a better quarterback than T-Jack. They are both terrible, but at least T-Jack doesn’t try to pretend that he isn’t.

22. boswivel says: Oct 10, 2011 9:04 PM

When I read “high-grade” I thought maybe the postman was back at Jerome Simpson’s place.

But then I remembered he never rings twice.

23. seahana12 says: Oct 10, 2011 9:37 PM

1 – Sometimes I don’t get Pete Carroll and I don’t see whatever it is he sees in Jackson. Sure, the guy’s improved a little bit over the past few games, but I’m still not sold.

2 – Whitehurst may not have done anything “phenomenal” but TJack hasn’t done anything phenomenal either. Their stats were similar, with one glaring difference: TJack had an INT, Charlie didn’t.

3 – (reply to jakek2) If Carroll was going to go after Leinardt, I think he would have done it by now.

24. seahana12 says: Oct 10, 2011 9:37 PM

Leinart*

25. trollhammer20 says: Oct 10, 2011 9:45 PM

All the talk about how bad Jackson is, and yet, he’s having a better year than both Sam Bradford and Kevin Kolb.

He has made some excellent throws this year, especially to Rice. On several occasions, he’s dropped the sideline out right where it’s supposed to be, over the defender but in a place where the receiver can make a play.

The fact he’s done this behind one of the least-experienced offensive lines in league history says something good about him.

If he could play like “good Tavaris” all the time, he’d be a top-8 kind of QB. But he makes occasionally dreadful decisions, and when he’s inaccurate, he tends to be high, which exposes the receiver to injury (Miller got hurt going after a high pass) and can lead to tipped balls and picks.

Not yet sold on him as a long term solution, but at this point, if Seattle got a young QB in next year’s draft, and they signed Jackson to a longer deal to play backup, I wouldn’t mind at all.

It will be interesting to monitor his progress as the offensive line continues to gel. Also, Zach Miller and Mike Williams really have yet to start contributing to the offense this year. If those two can get going, in addition to the solid play of Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin, and the line can improve the pass protection, Jackson will be in a position to put up some pretty decent numbers.

26. babyjebus says: Oct 10, 2011 9:48 PM

seahawks4alltime says: Oct 10, 2011 7:49 PM

____________________________

Tebow is a Bronco.

27. mineallmine001 says: Oct 10, 2011 9:53 PM

I’m gonna have to recommend amputation.

————————————————–

LOL good thing the probelm is not with his thinking skills.. oh wait…..

28. dgleighton says: Oct 10, 2011 9:57 PM

jakek2 says: Oct 10, 2011 7:59 PM

And that is why Carroll will never will anything substantial in the NFL.

—————————————————-
    If Lynch, Robinson and Jackson would not have turned the ball over the Giants would have lost by 30. Only 7 of those points were on Jackson. And 7 of the points at the end were the result pick 6 and had nothing to do with Whitehurst. Keep dumping on Seattle and their coaching staff, front office, etc… Right now there is no expectation. But they are improving. There are several of the pundits picks that are flaming out and now NY has retired players calling out current players. It’s damn funny to watch. Gotta get back to my Starbucks and rain…

29. vahawker says: Oct 10, 2011 10:05 PM

Williams CAN’T contribute because TJ doesn’t look or throw left because he is horribly inaccurate going in that direction. Miller can’t get going because he has had to stay in to block and when he does get out in the pattern, TJ can’t get him the ball IF CW plays, Williams suddenly will “wake up”.

30. trollhammer20 says: Oct 10, 2011 10:35 PM

Regarding Leinart: He actually was invited to Seattle after the lockout lifted. Rather than comPETE with Jackson and Whitehurst, Leinart decided to stick with the comfy, safe backup job in Houston.

I get the strong feeling Pete won’t ring the doorbell twice on that one. If you’d rather stay in a place where you know you’ll be a backup instead of going to a place and competing for a starting job, you lack the competitive fire to be a good NFL QB.

31. pacificnw7722 says: Oct 10, 2011 11:07 PM

I wish Jeff Fisher was coaching the Seahawks.

32. blackfootkiller says: Oct 11, 2011 1:36 AM

I’m not even amazed at the number of half wits that watch football. What surprises’ me, is the number of half wits that have no idea how the game is played.
    And even more incredible is the number of half wits that this site has writing for them!

33. truthserum4u says: Oct 11, 2011 4:52 AM

What is with all of the pectoral and biceps injuries the last few years? I don’t remember them being that common before.

34. savannahrose44 says: Oct 11, 2011 7:16 AM

nineroutsider says:
    Oct 10, 2011 7:20 PM

Please don’t make me laugh. Niner fans don’t deserve squat. I recall 49er fans booing Alex Smith last year and chanting for David Carr…Worst fan base ever.

35. savannahrose44 says: Oct 11, 2011 7:28 AM

A high grade strain could go either way…he could heal up over the bye or he could be sidelined for months in which case he’s headed for IR. It was comforting to see though that Charlie Whitehurst is becoming more and more comfortable both with the playbook and the team. I don’t think it’s going to be all that different with him behind center, but then I have taken this season with a grain of salt. Seattle is rebuilding if we win cool if not just as cool. As long as I see some progress I don’t care how the season comes out I’ll cheer for them win or lose.

36. fwippel says: Oct 11, 2011 8:18 AM

For those Viking fans who are longing to see Tjack back under center (as opposed to McNabb), don’t waste your time. Jackson needed a change of scenery and a fresh start. Maybe things will work out for him in Seattle, but (thanks to Brad Childress) Tjack was done in MN.

As for McNabb, well, if the Vikings want to improve their quarterbacking, they’ve got two guys on their roster now who couldn’t do any worse than McNabb, and would likely do much better.

37. mediasloppy says: Oct 11, 2011 9:29 AM

I’m still saying as a Vikings fan, that TJack never had a chance in MN to meet his potential. But I do think he can be a good QB if given the chance in a system that fits him. The injury bug though is a weakness he has though.