Brian Urlacher on Bears’ D: “We stink”

Jahvid Best, Charles Tillman AP

After losing to the Lions on Monday night, Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher went off on the defense, and he didn’t exclude himself.

Defensively, we stink. We can’t stop the run, we can’t stop the pass,” Urlacher said, via Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Urlacher seemed particularly agitated about Lions running back Jahvid Best being able to run through a huge hole and race 88 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter.

“The quarterback took a snap, he handed it to the guy, and he ran 88 yards without being touched,” Urlacher said. “That’s what I saw. I don’t know why it happened, but that’s what I saw.”

The Best run also angered Bears coach Lovie Smith.

“Defensively, just can’t give up big plays like that,” Smith said. “Best is a good player, but we’re not set up to give up easy runs or passes that way — [we’ve] got to keep the ball in front of us and you know, to be able to have a base run go for a touchdown–it’s kind of hard to swallow.”

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Brian Urlacher on Bears’ D: “We stink””
  1. jamezz23 says: Oct 11, 2011 7:07 AM

Was I the only person that felt sorry for Jay Cutler? He was giving it all he had last night and played well. Didn’t think that he had that in him.

2. savannahrose44 says: Oct 11, 2011 7:12 AM

Mike Singletary…nuf said.

3. joetoronto says: Oct 11, 2011 7:14 AM

Hats of to him for not laying blame on the offense, or lack thereof.

4. savannahrose44 says: Oct 11, 2011 7:32 AM

“Best is a good player, but we’re not set up to give up easy runs or passes that way.”

Apparently you are set up to give up easy runs and passes that way. The Bears should have hired Singletary. He may have sucked as a head coach but I’d be willing to bet he could turn around their linebackers at least. I feel bad for Bears fans having to put up with Lovie Smith and Mike Martz. Cutler will be lucky to survive to the end of his contract.

5. unkleruckus says: Oct 11, 2011 7:33 AM

The Bears don’t stink. The Lions are legit. They will win at least 10 games and if they lose, they will be in it till the end. Big play offense with a solid D. Lions are more talented than the Bears right now. Bears will still win 7-9 this year.

6. savannahrose44 says: Oct 11, 2011 7:35 AM

jamezz23 says:
    Oct 11, 2011 7:07 AM

7. thehelmutt says: Oct 11, 2011 7:39 AM

Urlacher: “We Stink”.
    Packers Fans: “We Know”.

8. alewatcher says: Oct 11, 2011 7:46 AM

Cutler made some amazing throws under pressure last night, seems like the Detroit D was in his grill on nearly every drop back.

The really amazing thing was that Cutler didn’t throw any picks.

9. melissachambers says: Oct 11, 2011 7:47 AM

“Was I the only person that felt sorry for Jay Cutler?”

Haha oh man, I’ve always felt sorry for that dude. Poor little feller.

10. jimmysimpson55 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:00 AM

I am not a big fan of Cutler, but his offensive line is offensive and the defense is sucking. How can he even begin to win games when he has been sacked and hurried more than any other QB in the league?

11. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Oct 11, 2011 8:04 AM

Frank Omiyale needs to be cut. Today. Now. Send a message to the rest of the O-Line. No, all nine false starts weren’t just on Omiyale but he was torched on every down. I can’t believe they waited until the fourth quarter to pull him.

12. therealsmiley says: Oct 11, 2011 8:10 AM

That offensive line is offensive. Ugggg. Hail!!

13. shibbyleigh says: Oct 11, 2011 8:15 AM

Urlacher backtracked on hits “Best team in the NFC” comments pretty quickly. From best to worst by game 5! Off season champs!

Good for you, Detroit! I can’t wait to be at Ford Field to watch you take on my Packers!

14. otis52gsh says: Oct 11, 2011 8:15 AM

Not sure what the bears were doing, but the lions looked good. There secondary would worry me if I was a fan of them. My bears are playing horrible.

15. nikesparq says: Oct 11, 2011 8:15 AM

Adrian Peterson will light up that bears defense next game on the ground.

Luckily for the bears, the Vikings have no Air game

16. dfeltz says: Oct 11, 2011 8:22 AM

Webb and Omiyale and just terrible tackles. But agree, defense needs to feel free to not get gashed routinely. Offensively it was 2 on 11 and defensively, I may be inclined to say Briggs had a decent game. Chris Harris was terrible. Devin Hester tried to do too much in the return, which costed the Bears field position most of the night. Mental mistakes all around are signs of a below average team.

17. CKL says: Oct 11, 2011 8:28 AM

I think it was after the run described that the camera went to Urlacher’s face and I could read his lips and he was saying, “WHAT HAPPENED???” All I know is that it’s far from sound to see a RB get to the second level and there are 0 LBs there to greet him. They had bad gap integrity, their run fits sucked, however you want to say it.

18. semperfi24 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:29 AM

Detroit is only going to be as good as their secondary allows. They get plenty of pressure on the qb, and the linebackers stop the run, but that secondary is awful. The only group of players worse than them is Chicago’s offensive line. When Cutler had more than 2 seconds to throw, he torched the Lions secondary. The only time the secondary made a play was when they were also committing a penalty

19. tshirttom says: Oct 11, 2011 8:32 AM

jamezz23 says:
    Oct 11, 2011 7:07 AM

As a Lions fan I have to say Cutler played a great game under adverse pressure. I was very impressed but I’ll still keep Stafford thank you.
    Megatron is well Megatron enough said. Best finally got a chance to show his goods. This is a multi-demsional team headed for the playoffs.

20. bcjim says: Oct 11, 2011 8:38 AM

Urlacher = overrated since day1

21. rexsuperbowl06 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:40 AM

Most of these comments seem to be pretty spot on about the offensive line and defense but theres one guy we are failing to mention who stunk it up as bad as any of them and that is #54, our captain Brian Urlacher, and also to mention I do not think I have seen Nick Roach make a tackle all season long? I could be wrong?? Urlacher has the speed right now of an old man, when you cannot turn and even make a decent attempt at a running back theres a problem. In the past Briggs or Urlacher would have stopped Best on the majority of those runs and in the past Urlacher would be bringing some pressure on the Qb. As of now he is too slow, and its most likely him getting old but I think also his moms death has something to do with his play in a way. He has to get lighter and recondition himself, it can be done and he can get two or three more years out of his career. As of now this might be it..

22. orangeflh says: Oct 11, 2011 8:42 AM

A big Thank You to the Lions for absolutely crushing and humiliating the Mouths Of The Midway. I don’t guess we’ll hear any more of that “best team in the NFC” nonsense from Uhrlacher.

23. rexsuperbowl06 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:43 AM

Also the DBs are a joke to me beyond just their play on the field..Go look at their corny twitter accounts and nicknames they call each other..Absolutley ridiculous..Some of the softest sh** I ever seen a Chicago Bear do..When I saw their twitter pages I knew we were in trouble, no lie..Their out partying half the time and twittering the other half..no wonder they stink

24. trimgod69 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:44 AM

@jerry angelo, @mike tice, @mike martz, @rod marinelli, @ the Oline, : YOUR FIRED !!! HIT THE ROAD !!!

25. trimgod69 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:48 AM

also, who the hell EVER thought devin hester was a receiver? who came up with that brainstorm?. there’s a reason he was a corner in college, and we saw it last night. he couldn’t catch a cold in a blizzard !!!!

26. rexsuperbowl06 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:48 AM

Bears started under 500 last year and didnt get going til the bye week..Im confident Lovie will get us back on track..Really dont have a hard schedule..Bring on the Seahawks, Broncos, Chiefs, Vikings, Eagles, Tampa, Raiders and we usually split with the Nfc north teams at worse so I think we will be in hunt for the last wildcard spot with alot of teams at worse

27. blueintown says: Oct 11, 2011 8:57 AM

@rexsuperbowl06 Bears started under 500 last year and didnt get going til the bye week..

____________________________________

At no point last season were the Bears under .500. This refutes your statement that the Bears started the season under .500.

28. orangeflh says: Oct 11, 2011 8:59 AM

In other news Brett Favre has come out and said:

“Well really, I’m kind of surprised that Brian hasn’t realized this sooner. I mean he just kind of fell into a great situation as far as stinking goes, and with the level of talent around him it’s pretty clear that they stink, have stunk, and will continue to stink.”

29. deconjonesbitchslap says: Oct 11, 2011 9:02 AM

don’t worry, the vikings will give you a much needed boost.

30. rexsuperbowl06 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:02 AM

Bear fnas that dont believe In Lovie and the team Please give it a rest..You are probally the same clowns who helped run a Superbowl Qb outa town (who by the way is 3-1 right now with a 2 game lead in east)..We just went to the damn NFC championship , please relax..We were one score away from our second superbowl in 5 years..Lovie and the Bears Will get this under control..They almost always do..Bear fans want a damn 15-1 season every year or their not happy, as a bear fan its quite frustrating and comical at the same time.

31. rexsuperbowl06 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:05 AM

Sorry we were 4 and 3 and got killed on Monday Night vs the Giants and everybody thought the season was over..

32. rexsuperbowl06 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:07 AM

Bears have dominated the Nfc North since Lovie been there

33. jusford says: Oct 11, 2011 9:21 AM

Hard to be a contender when your only goal is to beat the Packers.

34. FinFan68 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:31 AM

The Lions exploited the Bears defense on a few plays. Best is very quick and could have made those runs against any number of teams. Yes, the Bears don’t look like they used to but their LBs have lost a step and having a smart/fast MLB is crucial for tampa-2. Misdirection moved the LBs the wrong way and they weren’t fast enough to react and stop the big play from Best. The Bears will be around when the WC race gets interesting. Gained a ton of respect for Cutler. He was getting creamed on almost every throw and he had to make some amazing plays just to keep the Bears in the game. How many Hester drops does it take before they look for an actual receiver?

35. crazycane says: Oct 11, 2011 9:32 AM

Blow the whole think up and start fresh. The only thing we had was a great D and they’ve gotten old already.

We finally have a franchise QB and we’re taking years off his career because we can’t draft a LT in all the years JA has been GM.

McCaskeys, please sell the team you bunch of spoiled brats.

36. glac1 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:49 AM

like I said for the last three months… da bears are in for a loooong season…………

37. rew1572 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:50 AM

savannahrose44 says:
    Oct 11, 2011 7:32 AM

Umm Singletary coaches for the Vikes. And the Vikings suck, he hasn’t turned that team around. So there goes that theory. Get a clue.

38. comeonnowguys says: Oct 11, 2011 9:50 AM

“I’ll agree he showed some toughness…After he stopped crying over being pushed to the ground. I mean I know that was a “late hit” but come on you can’t tell me it hurt him as bad as he was acting like it did.”

He smacked his head on the turf as he went down. If you’ll remember, or not, that’s what finally knocked him out of that 9-sack first half against the giants last year. On one of the last sacks, his head was bounced off the turf like a kickball.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s one concussion away from retirement.

Good thing the Bears coaches and front office doing everything they possibly can to protect… dammit, I can’t keep a straight face. Nevermind.

39. das14 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:53 AM

It doesn’t help with all the penalties. Urlacher got a penalty for tackling, said he was leading with his head and was just a good tackle. The game was a flag fest and no fun to watch just being a fan of football. Unless you’re a lions fan, I’m sure it was a blast.

40. effjohntaylornorelation says: Oct 11, 2011 10:06 AM

Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith NEED to be replaced. I cannot figure out how they have lasted this long in their current positions.

41. metalhead65 says: Oct 11, 2011 10:11 AM

yje tampa 2 or whatever it is you call it may be a great d if you have the people to run it but it is obvious to everyone but lovie the bears do not. yet he stubbornly sticks with it and watches as teams do what they want against it.how about making adj. to what teams are running against you?better yet change the system to fit the personal you do have! they need to get angelo out of there and hire somebody who knows what they are doing when evaluating talent which angelo obviously does not.

42. purpleguy says: Oct 11, 2011 10:13 AM

No worries, the D will once again look good when they play my team with McPuke and his bounce passes. Then again, if Peppers is out, we may stand a chance. I know Jared Allen has got to be salivating at the opportunities he’ll have Sunday night. They’ll probably need separate rehab rooms for both QBs.

43. bearsblow says: Oct 11, 2011 10:29 AM

After further review Bears still suck!

44. ronin36 says: Oct 11, 2011 10:31 AM

What’s the over-under on Martz being fired before end of season?

I tuned in from time-to-time, because just can’t stand John Gruden’s “I love this guy”

While I normaly wish someone would encase Gruden’s entire head in duct tape, then throw him in a sound-proof room, then helicopter said room out to the laurentian abyss and drop it in…

He did make some good points. It seemed, that Martz kept calling no-protect plays/formations. When it was obvious he needed to.

Like others have posted, there has never been doubts about Cutler’s toughness. That was re-affirmed last night. But if Martz is permitted to continue as OC, they’ll be without a QB before the end of the year.

45. amanitoomerisgod says: Oct 11, 2011 10:38 AM

Specifically, Urlacher and Harris stink. Both long runs were their fault. Urlacher inexplicably overpursued on the one long run, ignoring his gap because he thought he was gonna hit some kind of home run tackle. He darted all the way to the outside allowing Best to cut it up the middle. Harris, on the same play, had a coverage that called for him to shoot down to the line, but it’s as if he just closed his eyes and ran forward. He didn’t make a play, whatsoever, on Best. If you go back and watch the tape it’s specifically the fault of these two, on more than one of those big middle runs.

onthingz.com

46. savannahrose44 says: Oct 11, 2011 10:44 AM

The Vikings are not the team he won a SB with. Singletary’s heart is in Chicago. Chicago also has a lot more talent to work with than the Vikings do. Also we are only 5 games into the season and he had no off-season to work with the Vikings players. You cannot judge his coaching ability with the Vikings when he hasn’t even been in Minnesota for an entire season yet…so there goes that theory.

47. drshankenstein says: Oct 11, 2011 11:12 AM

FIRE JERRY ANGELO!

48. blueintown says: Oct 11, 2011 11:50 AM

Whoa, Samurai-huggers. Mike Singletary is a bad coach. Bad head coach, bad position coach, bad coach. Great linebacker. Bad coach. Avoid the temptation of blindly clamoring for him simply because he used to play for the Bears. So did Henry Burris. Want him coaching your quarterback’s?

Not even a pantsless Samurai Mike could rectify this thin squad.

49. davikes says: Oct 11, 2011 11:51 AM

Love the picture. Urlacher on his back as Best goes untouched.

50. sfkforever says: Oct 11, 2011 11:55 AM

FIRE JERRY ANGELO!!!

51. pak1forgb says: Oct 11, 2011 11:57 AM

rexsuperbowl06 says:Oct 11, 2011 9:07 AM

Bears have dominated the Nfc North since Lovie been there
    —————————————————–

Hahaha! This is the problem with bears fans, they think 3 playoff appearances with nothing to show for them in 6 (soon to be 7 years) is dominating. Lovie has coached .500 ball against the Packers though I am sure in your mind that is total domination.

52. greatgallopingghost says: Oct 11, 2011 12:57 PM

1) Cutler WAS the shining star, his efforts to try and get something done showed toughness and ability.
    2) The offensive line was non-existent (So what else is new?). They constantly left flanks open for the pass rush and NEVER adjusted to negate that threat. They did a great job on a couple of plays allowing Forte to slash up the middle but that only works a few times before the Lions defense adjusts. Whenever Forte tried to sweep left or right there was no one blocking for him. Also, pay the man.
    3) I never thought I would say this about the Bears but their defense was asleep at the wheel. It is predicated on a pass rush that never put pressure on the QB. They keep getting burned deep because their pass defense relies on the QB only having time for the quick dump short. But when there is no pressure applied, the deep threat gets them evey time. And they never adjusted. That TD run up the middle was unforgivable.
    4) I hate to say this but Lovie’s clock management is not what it should be (challenges made when there should be no challenge). Martz needs to go; enough trying to fit square pegs into round holes. If Lovie can’t keep his personal loyalties from coaching personnel decisions then, and I hate saying this, he needs to go too. Angelo should never have been put in the position he’s in but that’s a well known issue.

I am a die hard Bears fan and what I’m seeing this year worries me about the remainder of this, and if changes aren’t made, the entire next season.
    I am happy to see the Lions doing so well even if they are in my division. No team should have to suffer that long and I’m glad things are working well for them. Just wish they would not work so well against the Bears. Their upcoming game with the Packers is going to be epic.

53. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 11, 2011 4:29 PM

You are so right, Brian.

54. yoimthefootballguru says: Oct 13, 2011 9:42 AM

lol mike singletarry nuff said ya ok maby if u want to lose even worse then u are now