Ex-Bear Tom Waddle condemns Meriweather’s “vicious” play

Atlanta Falcons v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Former Bears receiver Tom Waddle is lashing out at Bears safety Brandon Meriweather for a style of play that Waddle believes is dirty and designed to knock opposing receivers out.

I don’t approve of the way he plays the game,” Waddle said on ESPN 1000. “And you can call me a sissy all you want. OK? I was on the receiving end of a lot of head-to-head hits. And maybe it’s the reason I act the way I do. But in football there are going to be moments when a guy is trying to make a tackle and his helmet hits yours. It’s going to happen, and in today’s game you’re going to get flagged for it. And that’s the way it is.”

Meriweather has been fined twice for helmet-to-helmet hits, and he might pick up another fine for a hit against the Lions on Monday night. Waddle says Meriweather deserves the fines because he plays with an intent to hurt.

“When I interpret the way you go about your job that you have the intent to hurt somebody, I’ve got no time for you. I’ve got no place for you. The game’s got no place for you,” Waddle said. “He’s going to hurt himself, and he’s going to hurt someone else because of the intent.”

In Waddle’s view, Meriweather’s style of play doesn’t belong in the NFL.

“I don’t know Brandon. I haven’t had a discussion with him. But it sure looks by the way he plays the game that the intent isn’t to put a big hit on someone and legally knock them out, it’s to hurt someone,” Waddle said. “What Brandon does is he leads with his helmet all the time. There’s no place in the game, brother, at this particular time for that. It’s vicious enough. And when your intent, in my humble opinion, is to hurt or maim, I’ve got no time for you, and I don’t think the game’s got any place for you.”

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Ex-Bear Tom Waddle condemns Meriweather’s “vicious” play”
  1. bigshirk says: Oct 11, 2011 8:20 PM

“He intends to hurt” Ummm yeah, this is football.

2. rjkilla says: Oct 11, 2011 8:21 PM

good thing megatron is 6’5 or he might have been decapitated at some point in this game…he makes 4-5 tackles a game that are dirty and it’s time for suspensions instead of fines

3. Todd Haley's Temper says: Oct 11, 2011 8:22 PM

When asked what else Waddle had ‘no time for,’ he went on a 2 hour rant.

4. nevin999 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:23 PM

So take away his livelihood and send him out to flip burgers. Goodell should demonstrate some consequences, starting with this guy that refuses to learn.

5. tallguyme says: Oct 11, 2011 8:27 PM

luckily Meriweather is usually out of position and completely clueless that he has little opportunity to headhunt

6. wwwfella says: Oct 11, 2011 8:29 PM

i think he’s right this is football your supposed to hit with love.

7. joj0420 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:31 PM

love the way he plays. he plays the mans way not none of the sissy crap!!!

8. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 11, 2011 8:31 PM

He doesn’t want to play that way, but it’s the Bears only chance

9. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 11, 2011 8:31 PM

As for you, Mr. Waddle, Chuck Bednarik’s on line 1….

10. urlacher2000 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:34 PM

When you play Defense…..yes, you want to hurt the opponent. You want them to know they’ve been hit. You want them to think twice the next time they have the ball. HOWEVER, this can be done within the rules of the game. Meriweather (seems) to be dirty. Or maybe he knows that he isn’t as good as his opponent – - – so he needs to “cheat” to even the playing field? A lot of Bear fans were excited about getting him. My first thought was, “If he is SO good, why would New England get rid of him?”

11. statking says: Oct 11, 2011 8:35 PM

He is one of the most overrated players in the league and he knows it. It’s no wonder the Patriots cut him loose after an alleged pro bowl season. Typical play from a former member of the U

12. duanethomas says: Oct 11, 2011 8:37 PM

Awwww LiL Tommy, quit being such a girly man. Its the NFL.

13. wannabeqb says: Oct 11, 2011 8:37 PM

As a Pats fan I can tell you that those most at risk of being hurt by Meriweather are the other Bears defenders

14. scudbot says: Oct 11, 2011 8:38 PM

It disgusts me to read posts from yokels who have never been speared on a pro football field in front of computers who call players pu**ies when they disapprove of hits that are designed to injure other players. These are real people out there, not some pixels on a Madden screen.

15. packerman1968 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:38 PM

When Weddle played, the hits were way more violent then they are today.

This guy was a below average receiver at best.

Who really cares what he has to say.

16. firerosenthalthebastard says: Oct 11, 2011 8:45 PM

Meriweather is a dirty player…. but that’s only because he’s been playing like garbage.

17. chilomane says: Oct 11, 2011 8:45 PM

I don’t believe the hits used to be more violent then now players are way bigger,stronger,and faster.

18. backindasaddle says: Oct 11, 2011 8:47 PM

Waddle is absolutely right. I watched every game he played as a Patriot and I agree with Waddle. I think Merriweather does try to injury with helmut first missile type hits. Just look at what he did to Tod Heap last year. That was an absolute disgrace. I was pissed when they drafted this low-life and I’m glad he’s no longer a Patriot. I always thought he was an embarrassment to the team. Glad he’s gone.

19. rushmatic says: Oct 11, 2011 8:53 PM

Meriweather makes up for a lack of talent and football intelligence with what he perceives to be jaw-dropping hits. That’s my opinion anyway.

I watched him play out of position for years. I watched him hit our own defenders instead of the opponent and wondered how much longer we’d have to endure this.

Good luck, Bears. I feel your pain.

20. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Oct 11, 2011 8:55 PM

I don’t give a crap what Waddle has to say.

Why don’t to go back and retroactively dock benefits to the likes of Butkus, Nitschke, Hamm, and others for the highlights that we see on NFL Films every week. Those reels can be used to promote the NFL but, oh, no, don’t anyone that hard anymore. We don’t want the NFL to get sued.

If he busted the rules he’ll get fined. So what. Shut up. Move on.

21. august1969 says: Oct 11, 2011 8:57 PM

mediocre head hunter. can’t tackle. can’t cover. better players available.

22. rexismybff says: Oct 11, 2011 8:57 PM

What a pedigree – Miami for college, Boston as a pro. No wonder the guy is a head-hunting, filthy player with no coverage skills. This is exactly what BB teaches.

23. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Oct 11, 2011 8:58 PM

I know the dream team agrees with waddle !

24. thevza says: Oct 11, 2011 9:00 PM

I can’t wait for the Merriweather experiment in Chicago to end already. Speaking of players I would love to never again see in a Bears uniform:

1. Frank Omiyale
    2. Brandon Merriweather
    3. Roy Williams

Of course, I would make all these guys the best men at my wedding if that meant firing the real cancer of the team: Jerry Angelo.

25. Ralphie says: Oct 11, 2011 9:03 PM

chilomane says:
    Oct 11, 2011 8:45 PM
    _____________________________

Ya think so? Watch some highlight films of these safeties of the past few decades:
    - Ronnie Lott
    - David Fulcher
    - Joey Browner
    - Steve Atwater
    - Chuck Cecil
    - John Lynch

26. Pacific NW Mark says: Oct 11, 2011 9:08 PM

If they’d suspend Merriweather maybe the Bears would actually go out and find someone who can play safety. Because it’s clear that Merriweather can’t.

27. steviaquinn says: Oct 11, 2011 9:10 PM

I enjoy his play. Pretty soon the NFL will be flag football

28. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:12 PM

While I have to wonder why anyone asked this never-was what he thinks, Meriweather did spear Pettigrew AND Logan last night.

29. mrtampa says: Oct 11, 2011 9:13 PM

Ain’t no damn need for anyone to hit someone like he hit Todd Heap last year…and as it ha been said on here before, he misses more of his headhunts than he hits. The man just doesn’t have the coverage skills to be out there helping. Not to mention he always seems to take the wrong angle to the ball carrier. Just retire!

30. beastson says: Oct 11, 2011 9:14 PM

I’m surprised Steve Smith didn’t lay this guy out for that helmet to helmet hit few weeks ago after getting outplayed by #89

31. polarbear71 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:18 PM

Jerry Angelo is to blame for EVERYTHING wrong with this team…when he gets this player AND when he DOES NOT get that player….worst GM in pro football !!

32. godfatherd says: Oct 11, 2011 9:19 PM

Only guy in the NFL who can get fined for a hit where he missed the tackle. It would not surprise me if he ends up compressing a disk in his neck and ending his own career.

33. cfos00 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:26 PM

Most of you probably don’t remember Waddle as a player, but make no mistake he was tough mentally and physically as it comes. This isn’t coming from a guy never played or backed off of contact. He got lit up like a Christmas tree routinely, didn’t back off going over the middle, and didn’t complain. Waddle knows first hand what it’s like to play against headhunters. His opinion here is 100% right, and he knows better than most what the effects are of being on the receiving end of dirty hits.

Merriweather has more problems than just being dirty. He also sucks in coverage, and seems to be a liability against the run. Seeing as those are the main two jobs of a safety, I’m not seeing anything redeeming out of his play so far. As a Bears fan, I really can’t be much more disappointed in his play or what the team has done at the safety position.

34. marcuswelby70 says: Oct 11, 2011 9:52 PM

rexismybff says:
    Oct 11, 2011 8:57 PM

——————————————–

And you know this is what BB teaches because…you played for him???

35. philtration says: Oct 11, 2011 9:54 PM

rjkilla says: Oct 11, 2011 8:21 PM

==================================

Do you feel the same way about Suh?

36. philtration says: Oct 11, 2011 9:57 PM

thevza says: Oct 11, 2011 9:00 PM

1. Frank Omiyale
    2. Brandon Merriweather
    3. Roy Williams

=================================
    Angelo is indeed a cancer.
    If George Halas were here he would knock Jerry’s teeth out.

Calling Mr. Butkus!

37. favreforever says: Oct 11, 2011 9:58 PM

Inclement Meriweather.

38. jpb12 says: Oct 11, 2011 10:01 PM

Merriweather was on Patriots payroll at $2M.
    They cut him. So the Bears pick him up at $3M.

Lots of extra money for fines.

39. etoharin78 says: Oct 11, 2011 10:07 PM

Here’s hoping against reality that both Merriweather and Dunta Robinson end up in the Pro Bowl and in a simultaneous effort to spear a WR, miss and spear each other and end up with a concussion so these morons learn. Apparently the hard way is the only way these half-wits will learn.

40. thridandlong says: Oct 11, 2011 10:09 PM

Ralphie says:
    Oct 11, 2011 9:03 PM
    chilomane says:
    Oct 11, 2011 8:45 PM
    _____________________________

- Ronnie Lott
    - David Fulcher
    - Joey Browner
    - Steve Atwater
    - Chuck Cecil
    - John Lynch
    ——————————————–

Add Chicago Bears, Doug Plank and Gary Fencik.

These guys could hit too

41. blueintown says: Oct 11, 2011 10:10 PM

For it to be vicious he would have to actually catch and hit someone. Perhaps Mr. Waddle intended to condemn his “dumb” or “awful” play.

42. tinopuno says: Oct 11, 2011 10:25 PM

scudbot says: Oct 11, 2011 8:38 PM

———————————————————–
    Excellent point. It’s long been my suspicion that, with very few exceptions, those who complain the loudest about the game being ‘sissified’ never played organized football, never tackled a bruising runner head on and never got lit up by a crushing blind side hit.

They remind me of the mouthy ‘armchair patriot’ who can’t seem to get enough of war…as long as he’s watching from a very safe distance and not doing the fighting and dying.

43. oxycode30 says: Oct 11, 2011 10:35 PM

I recall Tommy Waddle as a player and appreciate what he did for my Bears. He sacrificed his body week in and week out and gave 100% on every play… BUT I also appreciate the effort Merriweather gives… he seems to have heart… something several other Bears don’t. So Tommy, listen to your beloved Rush Limbaugh on your free time, analyze the upcoming game on Sunday morning, fly to LA for your national gig… but don’t attempt to neuter the one dude who sacrifices his body on Sunday as you used to. With targets like Omiyale and Roy Williams why waste your breath on the guy who makes receivers pay?

44. blackheld says: Oct 11, 2011 10:35 PM

To all you guys playing the sissy card here on Waddle…

Oddly, I don’t see Ray Lewis getting any fines…don’t see Willis getting fined…no fines for Clay Mathews.

You guys should realize that you can be feared without being dirty.

Meriweather does not.

45. ravc82 says: Oct 11, 2011 11:03 PM

Suspend him already- he was fined last year 50k for a helmet to helmet on Todd Heap and just recently 20k for a helmet to helmet on Steve Smith… If anyone saw the hit last night, it was 5 seconds after the play was over and he jumped in head first. The guy is complete garbage and tries to make up for his j-v talent with flagrant hits. No wonder New England dropped his sorry ass.

46. ahs2 says: Oct 11, 2011 11:04 PM

For those comparing this guy to hard-hitting DB’s with actual skill, look up the “Meriweather POS” videos by Sandman7773 on youtube as you obviously didn’t see the hits in question. Doesn’t take skill to do what he does…

47. coolj23 says: Oct 11, 2011 11:51 PM

I don’t care about meriweather, I’m more concern with this terrible off. Line and this crappy defense. I wasn’t on the fire someone bandwagon, but now I’m the lead driver!!

48. 6ball says: Oct 12, 2011 12:03 AM

There’s no shortage of NFL players who’s toughness is beyond question playing within the bounds of the game. They want to beat you, not maim you. Cheap and tough are not synonyms.

49. godfatherd says: Oct 12, 2011 12:14 AM

philtration says:
    Oct 11, 2011 9:54 PM
    rjkilla says: Oct 11, 2011 8:21 PM

==================================

Do you feel the same way about Suh?

==================================

Suh has never hit a guy the way Merriweather hit Todd Heap last year. I personally don’t think Suh has had any hits I would call dirty, he does play through the whistle though. I have never seen him dive into the pile after the wistle, or lead with his head.

50. buflo66 says: Oct 12, 2011 12:30 AM

He is going to paralyze himself, a teammate or the ball carrier. It is just a matter of time.

Why would he think he is doing anything wrong, (besides the fact he is getting fined of course) he made it to the NFL and is now starting for his 2nd team. He wants to cash checks so he plays the only way he knows. He can not cover or tackle, so he headhunts.

What happened to the league office threats of suspensions for repeat offenders? Or refs throwing guys out? He could have killed Logan and it didn’t even draw a flag.

51. crybradycry says: Oct 12, 2011 12:46 AM

Meriweather is a low class punk and that is why the Pats shipped him out.

52. imasturbate says: Oct 12, 2011 1:23 AM

If Ronnie Lott played today he would be looked at like a villain…but because he played in the 80″s he’s a hero…make up your mind Goodell…what is it??? Merriweather is no different and I hate the U and I also hate the Patriots/Bears. All you want to do is fine players and take their money and safe your but and collect in the mean time.

Mind as well run for president while your at it!

53. backindasaddle says: Oct 12, 2011 2:42 AM

rexismybff says:

**********************************************************************
    Right….and that explains why BB dumped him. You’re not too bright.

54. asublimeday says: Oct 12, 2011 4:18 AM

1. Frank Omiyale
    2. Brandon Merriweather
    3. Roy Williams

—————-
    Couldn’t agree more.

55. cuda1234 says: Oct 12, 2011 7:57 AM

A dirty player from the University of Miami? Interesting.

56. carpetpissers says: Oct 12, 2011 8:00 AM

“And you can call me a sissy all you want. OK?”

Sissy!

57. djteknision1200 says: Oct 12, 2011 8:03 AM

All these young players complaining about the NFL making the game soft, I do think some of the rules are getting out of hand, like the new rules protecting the QB like they wear a dress, but some people are using this as an excuse because I sure don’t remember Ronnie lott leading with his helmet and he still intimidated players. Learn how to tackle!!

58. bradshawlives says: Oct 12, 2011 8:23 AM

He was a dirtball at Miami, a dirtball in New England and is a dirtball in Chicago.

59. bcar1023 says: Oct 12, 2011 9:47 AM

I love when random and anonymous poster comes on and says “who cares what so-in-so has to say” like we are all sitting around waiting to hear what some fantasy football dweeb has to say. The dude laced em up in the NFL. I don’t care if he was practice squad his opinion is more valuable than some high school never was.

60. pigskinswag says: Oct 12, 2011 10:28 AM

Well to be fair, dirty plays are about all Meriweather is good for. Forty percent of the time he looks like he doesn’t know what the hell is going on, another forty percent of the time he ACTUALLY doesn’t know what the hell is going on, the remaining twenty percent – dirty shots.