Ken Whisenhunt: “You’re damn right I’m angry”

Ken Whisenhunt AP

With the Arizona Cardinals at 1-4 and coming off a bad loss to the previously winless Vikings, coach Ken Whisenhunt is in a foul mood.

“Am I angry?” he said Tuesday. “You’re damn right I’m angry. Am I upset? Yes, because I know what kind of team we can be, and I’m very frustrated for our fans that we haven’t done that yet.”

Still, Whisenhunt says that he’s not going to channel his anger into screaming at his team.

“It doesn’t do me any good to rant and to rave, because those guys know I’m upset,” Whisenhunt said. “You have to be consistent with these guys, because that’s what they’re looking for. They don’t want somebody who is up or that’s down, because whether you’re winning four games in a row or losing four games in a row, it can turn the next game.”

Ranting and raving might not be the answer, but Whisenhunt needs to do something quickly to shake up his team. After the bye this week the Cardinals get the Steelers and the Ravens, so the schedule doesn’t get any easier. This season has the potential to get away from the Cardinals by the end of the month, and you’re damn right the fans will be angry at Whisenhunt if that happens.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Ken Whisenhunt: “You’re damn right I’m angry””
  1. kd75 says: Oct 12, 2011 12:37 PM

AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

2. meegs34 says: Oct 12, 2011 12:39 PM

Cat in the house?

3. joetoronto says: Oct 12, 2011 12:40 PM

Unleash hell in October, Whisenhunt.

That’ll fix them.

4. geezohman says: Oct 12, 2011 12:40 PM

interesting how he didn’t get the ‘Steeler’ head coach job… someone must have seen …he should just remain an ‘offensive’ coach…

reminds me of ‘Bud Carson” old defense coach, couldn’t make it as a coach, then again it was Cleveland, but returned later as Defense Coord to Phily and had them #1

5. skoobyfl says: Oct 12, 2011 12:42 PM

You need to vent that anger at the people who can make a difference on the field coach, not the press.

6. cannonballdookie says: Oct 12, 2011 12:44 PM

Tell your QB to start throwing to his best receiver, that would be a good start.

7. meegs34 says: Oct 12, 2011 12:45 PM

Arizona needs more dogs.

8. FinFan68 says: Oct 12, 2011 12:46 PM

Maybe it wasn’t Leinart after all.

9. hoobsher says: Oct 12, 2011 12:49 PM

“the vikings are who we thought they were, and i can’t stress that enough.”

10. test2402 says: Oct 12, 2011 12:51 PM

Poor fella.

11. krose91 says: Oct 12, 2011 12:53 PM

we have the easiest schedule this year and should be 4 – 1 instead of 1 – 4 … i just don’t know. at least we get maybe some good players in the draft. But thats my hope every year x)

12. arzcardinals says: Oct 12, 2011 12:53 PM

With good reason he should be.

Giving up 28 points before you even get your first 1st down.

The team has some injury issues, but their ability to sustain drives is horrible, the wr’s ability to free up Fitz is horrible, the d line can’t get any pressure even when blitzing….ugh

Whis was about to lose it last Sunday.

He will get this team right!

In Whis I trust

13. deighton95 says: Oct 12, 2011 12:57 PM

They are who we thought they were!! And we let em off the hook!!

14. mightymightylafootball says: Oct 12, 2011 1:03 PM

The ‘Card really should be a better team at this point.

Do they have holes? Sure – nearly all teams do. But they seem *relativley* well managed and coached, and it’s not like they are changing systems every two years?

So I’m really curious – why aren’t they better?

15. riverhorsey says: Oct 12, 2011 1:03 PM

it’s going to take Kolb a while to get used to the system and his team. You’ll be fine next year.

Look at Philly, all those high priced free agents and 1-4 to show for it.

16. Nevis says: Oct 12, 2011 1:21 PM

Don’t worry Whiz, there’s no one in the NFC West you need to worry ab….

Oh wait.

17. broncobillie says: Oct 12, 2011 1:34 PM

Here’s what I’m surprised at: both Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm are ex-offensive line coaches and both came from the Steelers, where they did an excellent job. Yet, after all these years of drafts, free agent opportunities and old-fashioned coaching, the offensive line of the Cardinals is still not great.

When an offensive line is great, you can plug any no-name running back behind it and he’ll do well (Broncos recently, John Robinson’s Rams in the late 80′s). Even fairly good running backs (Wells isn’t THAT bad) can’t get consistent holes. With a good offensive line, a decent quarterback looks very good.

So I’m just wondering: what happened? Why haven’t Whis and Grimm waved their magic wand over the O-line? Or is that a Grimm fairy tale?

18. rexismybff says: Oct 12, 2011 1:36 PM

Can you say “sucking for Luck”?

19. Robert says: Oct 12, 2011 1:36 PM

Bring back:

Gene Stallings

Vince Tobin

Dave McGinnis

And of course…………………..

Denny Green

20. peytonwantsaflag says: Oct 12, 2011 1:36 PM

BS – That’s a chickensh** answer. These guys are football players – ranting and raving is how they were raised and unless you forcefully point out who you’re pissed at and why those that aren’t to blame may begin to feel resentful and those that are to blame can rationalize there non-performance.

21. svcfilmguy says: Oct 12, 2011 1:41 PM

I could be wrong, but this mess seems to be more of a front office problem than a Whisenhunt problem. They had no contingency plan when Warner left. They haven’t provided badly-needed upgrades on the offensive line. They’ve tried to get away with ancient pass rushers for way too long. They panicked on the Kolb trade and will probably regret it (has any Philadelphia backup ever worked as a starter?). Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it’s his fault. I just can’t stand when people scream at the coach without considering the performance of the front office. It happens way too often.

22. redrifle14 says: Oct 12, 2011 1:49 PM

Dont worry Ken, Kolb will be done this yr and you will have Luck next yr.

23. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 12, 2011 2:03 PM

Kolb is scared to throw INTs, because he thinks/knows teams know he is looking for Larry. He throws to Doucet an AWFUL lot. I’d be livid if I were a Cards fan.

24. capslockkey says: Oct 12, 2011 2:20 PM

I’d be angry too if my front office dealt away my best starting CB and a second round pick for Kevin Kolb and didn’t bother to re-sign my #2 receiver.

25. zaggs says: Oct 12, 2011 2:21 PM

cant really say who got the crap end of the stick in the Kolb trade.

26. balewsquare says: Oct 12, 2011 2:22 PM

Maybe they could play bags….

27. mrplow3 says: Oct 12, 2011 2:25 PM

“Maybe it wasn’t Leinart after all.”

Nope, Leinart is balls. Not saying Kolb is great but it defintely WAS Leinart.

28. yashraba says: Oct 12, 2011 2:26 PM

maybe he needs to invest in a cornhole board for the lockerroom

29. pigskinswag says: Oct 12, 2011 2:31 PM

He also went on to say “But they are who we thought they were! And we let ‘em off the hook!”

30. ravensfan4life52 says: Oct 12, 2011 2:40 PM

does he really have to explain how he feels? really? lol

31. kamakiriad says: Oct 12, 2011 2:47 PM

He should be mad. He should be mad Kurt Warner retired and now people can see what how bad he is without a good offensive coordinator under center.

This guy can’t coach. He threw away a decent QB and put Card fans through a horrible season last year because he couldn’t get along with Leinert, then his ra-ra pick to lead the team (Anderson) was horrible. Apparently you DO need brains (not just motivation) to be a QB (or a coach) in the NFL.

He’ll be done after this season, and they will get someone good like Cowher or Gruden.

32. raiderlyfe510 says: Oct 12, 2011 3:17 PM

Needs a Hall of Fame QB to win consistently… Like all mediocre Head Coaches.

33. trollhammer20 says: Oct 12, 2011 3:30 PM

FYI, the Cardinals are currently the third-oldest team in the league.

Much better to be young and bad, like Seattle coming into this season. With young players, there’s potential for improvement. Think Porter and Haggans are suddenly going to have major breakthroughs? Their best years are way behind them.

34. RomosRibs says: Oct 12, 2011 3:31 PM

“The Cardinals are just who we thought they were.”

However, I’d be angry too if the Zeebs had done to my team what they did to the Cards vs The G’s.

35. glac1 says: Oct 12, 2011 3:45 PM

As Vincent T. Lombardi once said “What the h**l is going on out there!” This is one team that is very tough to figure out…………

36. tenteamparlay00799 says: Oct 12, 2011 3:49 PM

Having fun with Kevin Kolb ?Nice trade Arizona.

37. Deb says: Oct 12, 2011 4:20 PM

I feel Tomlin was a better choice as head coach for the Steelers than Whis would have been. But I’d still like to see our old offensive coordinator succeed. He’s a good coach, and he did well initially in Arizona. What a difference a quarterback makes.

38. eltex says: Oct 12, 2011 4:30 PM

Very simply, they need a QB. Their best hope is to lose out, and get in the Luck sweepstakes. I guess they could go for Kyle Orton, but seriously, he is as bad as Kolb, which is pretty much bottom of the barrel.

39. theuglitruth says: Oct 12, 2011 6:05 PM

Horton and Whiz miscalculated the impact a lockout shortened offseason would have on a implementing a new complex 3-4 defense. As far as Kolb, it’s early, but he needs to show something soon. Even Skelton, the 3rd string QB has more wins when starting an NFL game.

40. jmota222 says: Oct 12, 2011 7:19 PM

Hey ken your gonna feel that way until you find a QB !! Gonna have to wait till next year

41. Canyonero says: Oct 12, 2011 10:50 PM

Whisenhunt *should* be angry, but fans should be patient and have perspective. Kolb is new to the team. I expected this year to be loopy.

That said, it’s unsettling the Offensive Line is such a weak link.

42. lgwelsh1 says: Oct 13, 2011 1:22 AM

Oh how they miss Kurt Warner, from a Playoff team to the bottom of the pile.

43. joecb91 says: Oct 13, 2011 2:39 AM

The fans are angry too. But I know how much the lockout screwed up a lot of stuff (Kolbs ability to learn the offense compared to Cam Newton who had the playbook since he was drafted) so I can be patient for now.

But progress has to be made soon.