Pete Carroll says Aaron Curry trade isn’t final yet

Pete Carroll AP

The Seahawks reportedly have agreed to trade linebacker Aaron Curry to the Raiders.  But coach Pete Carroll pointed out today that the deal isn’t quite done.

“That isn’t final yet,” Carroll told Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan of SiriusXM NFL Radio’s Movin’ the Chains.  “It’s something that’s in the works and we’ll have to wait and see.  There’s still some stuff to be done to make that official.  But K.J. Wright has made this possible, yeah.  He’s played so well.  He played that Mike and that Sam ‘backer spot and took over the Sam ‘backer spot three weeks now starting and did a beautiful job.  And we think we can really move ahead with him so it gave us a chance to at least make an effort to make a deal and get a couple more players for the future here, you know, with picks.  But we’ll see what happens.  It’s not official yet.”

There’s no reason to think it won’t happen, but until the deal is done, the deal isn’t really done.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
34 Responses to “Pete Carroll says Aaron Curry trade isn’t final yet”
  1. stumpzzz says: Oct 12, 2011 6:45 PM

with that said….he’s still on the block. “do I hear 6th rounder….anyone….former top 10 here”.

2. damnskins703 says: Oct 12, 2011 6:48 PM

3. jamfed619 says: Oct 12, 2011 6:58 PM

I live in Seattle and Curry really is a bust. Oddly enough, I thought he was the BEST player in the draft too…
    Pete’s doing very well, and I like what Pete’s doing (now that Whitehurst is playing QB instead of clip board holder/operator).

Seattle’s biggest needs are OL, and they’re coming around (for a bunch of young guys).

CURRY, sorry buddy! You’ll be out of the league next year… You’re too NICE, not a great attribute for a LB. You got a big payday, and now you’re done!

4. humboldt420 says: Oct 12, 2011 6:58 PM

Caroll is correct.

The league still has to approve the deal and Aaron Curry needs to be in Alameda (Raider HQ) to pass a physical.

But like PFT said, there’s no reason to think the deal won’t be finalized.

5. beerandtitties says: Oct 12, 2011 6:59 PM

Tell me about it! I can’t get my local Pizza Hut to finalize the deal for a free pizza for Reggie Bush. I keep telling them I’m willing to trade him to them, no questions asked. I’m beginning to think they have figured out how screwed they are getting with that trade.

6. pocketfudge says: Oct 12, 2011 7:00 PM

“I don’t know what Pete is doing up there? I have family in Seattle and they tell me Pete is doing a little too much if Curry was in the game then he produces but hw has to be in game to do it.”

Curry produces? When? Where? I don’t think your family is paying attention if that’s where you’re getting your info from.

The only thing Curry “produces” is missed tackles, missed assignments, and tons of penalties.

7. radrntn says: Oct 12, 2011 7:05 PM

oh yeh….he is in silver and black now

8. samel2003 says: Oct 12, 2011 7:15 PM

Clearly, Curry must have not been as projected because the Eagles go out every week without linebackers and they didn’t try for him. Then again, the Eagles judgment is not the “gold standard.” Isn’t that right Casey Matthews?

9. jeffesky says: Oct 12, 2011 7:34 PM

As a hawk season ticket holder i think we were all shocked at how this guy never got it. he just has no football instincts AT ALL! Pete tried but you cant teach instincts, you either have it or you dont.

10. seahana12 says: Oct 12, 2011 7:59 PM

I don’t live in Seattle but I’m a huge Seahawks fan and have been for over 20 years. Carroll has made some decisions that I’ve questioned in the past, but I totally get this one. Curry has been a bust…sometimes he makes decent plays, but those come when he happens to be in the right place at the right time. I haven’t been impressed, and I don’t know a whole lot of Seahawks fans who have been. It’s time to move on – he was a bust for Seattle. Maybe he’ll do better in a different system, and hopefully Seattle will do better with Wright.

11. ttommytom says: Oct 12, 2011 8:09 PM

Busts all over the place in the 09 draft. Freeman and Orakpo are the best two.

12. sweetnlow44 says: Oct 12, 2011 8:19 PM

It was a steal for the Seahawks to get any compensation for this bust.

And seahana12… even when he’s in the right place at the right time, he more often than not finds a way to NOT make the play. Like the Giants game. Mannings pass hits him right in the numbers and he doesn’t even come close to catching it. And he had Bradshaw dead to rights for a loss on the play, but tried to arm tackle and Bradshaw went right by him. Those may not be the best examples because he quit on his team this year, but he’s done the same boneheaded things his whole career.

Good job getting rid of this guy and getting something for him, PC!!!

13. romoscollarbone says: Oct 12, 2011 8:26 PM

Hey reduce your salary for us, and then we’ll trade you at the deadline.

14. hawksman says: Oct 12, 2011 8:43 PM

The problem with Curry is that they aren’t playing him to his strengths. There is no doubt that in ’09 he was one of the top players available. He is fast, strong, and smart…and has the desire to be a better player. His production has been somewhat disappointing, but I never thought he would come in and have 105 tackles in a season. He has a great sense of the game, but has had some issues getting acclimated to the NFL. However; with his skill set, smarts, and desire, I can’t help but believe he is going to be a top LB in the next 2-5 years. He has the tools…he just needs time to develop them….

15. seahana12 says: Oct 12, 2011 8:57 PM

@sweetnlow44

Yes, he does tend to miss a lot of tackles and even screw it up when it’s handed to him. I should have worded that differently – when he DOES make a good play, it’s because he happens to be in the right place at the right time…Unfortunately, he misses more than he makes, regardless.

I wish him the best. Like I said – maybe he’ll do better in a different system.

16. savannahrose44 says: Oct 12, 2011 9:02 PM

romoscollarbone says:
    Oct 12, 2011 8:26 PM
    Hey reduce your salary for us, and then we’ll trade you at the deadline.

Marcus Trufant took the same pay cut but unlike Aaron Curry he has actually played better since…Making him take a salary cut was a smart move.

17. stampnhawk says: Oct 12, 2011 9:04 PM

Too bad with Curry. Can’t teach football sense, and he didn’t have pro football sense or confidence.
    Seemed to be a nice guy, smart, and a team player, but couldn’t turn his impressive dimensions and combine stats into success on the field. And when average NFl LB’s and rookies are outplaying you, time to cut the losses.

Lofa Tatupu, where are you? Would be a good backup, knowing the system and playbook.

18. mwcarolina says: Oct 12, 2011 9:19 PM

Busts all over the place in the 09 draft. Freeman and Orakpo are the best two
    ——————————————————
    they are great and i am glad Orakpo is on my team, but the best two? over Clay Matthews and Matthew Stafford? as much as i like Freeman, i still rather have Stafford if healthy for a full year, though i admit, Freeman is great too. the top 10 picks in this draft though, not all were good moves.

19. savannahrose44 says: Oct 12, 2011 9:21 PM

Seattle has done everything in their power to try and get this kid to produce…They have moved him all over the field in multiple positions to no avail. The only thing they can get him to do correctly is run to the pile after the whistle blows, and when he does finally try to make a play it ends in a penalty. Think about it…this guy had Lofa mentoring him and he still stinks. Lofa Tatupu had some of the best instincts I’ve ever seen on a linebacker and he couldn’t help this kid. Notice Lofa gave David Hawthorne a nickname (heater) and not Curry. Aaron Curry has no football instincts. He couldn’t sniff out the football if it were cheese and he was a hungry rat. For all the hype this kid got going into the draft he has been nothing but a huge bust. I hope the Raiders fans don’t get their hopes too high for this kid because he will send them crashing back to earth in short time. Some players were born to play football others were born to be busts.

20. waltdawg says: Oct 12, 2011 9:23 PM

Says Pete Carroll: “yeah man..It’s the tops…Like groovy, yeah, far out….Zou Sah….Totally mythical man…The tops…”

Someone please get this guy to stop talking like a hipster doofus.

21. jeremyb91 says: Oct 12, 2011 9:33 PM

Is this Kamerion Wimbley 2.0? Everyone assumed he was a bad pickup for the Raiders, yet has transitioned exceptionally well into Oakland’s system and has been worth the draft pick.

Curry lands into a very good spot in Oakland considering they have one of the best D lines in the NFL meaning he won’t have to shed as many blockers and can flow to the ball. But if his coverage issues are as bad as people say, then he won’t be an improvement over Quentin Groves.

It will be interesting to see once the trade is finalized.

22. ttommytom says: Oct 12, 2011 9:51 PM

MW: Stafford is a good player who might become great. But he overthrows too many receivers. Same issue in college.

I forgot about Matthews. Some would prefer Orakpo but most would prefer Matthews. Same goes for Stafford and Freeman.

23. snnyjcbs says: Oct 12, 2011 10:10 PM

Moss from Denver was a nice pick up by the Raiders at a very low cost. Being allowed to play to his strengths he is playing very well, both pass rush and the against the run.

Wimbley from the Browns was another nice pick up by the Raiders, he was put in a position to do what he does best and he is becoming a Force.

Curry is not considered for the possible #1 Pick of the whole Draft and goes 4th without having some talent. Fresh start with the Raiders could be good for him and who knows.

24. ogre2010 says: Oct 12, 2011 10:25 PM

Great Pete, trade a good linebacker for a six round pick

25. danospleasanton says: Oct 12, 2011 10:28 PM

This deal is not done “yet” according to Pete. He has not informed his x player of the trade and wants to do it himself…oops too late.

Don’t worry, Pete will do the natural thing. He will play dumb and dodge the stink.

26. satanphoenix says: Oct 12, 2011 10:39 PM

Maybe the problem is finding the keys to the Fax Machine?

Note: As I understand it each team has a fax machine with a direct line to NFL HQ in NYC for the purposes of transactions. Only one person may be designated by the team to sign the fax for a trade, Until someone is designated a trade can’t go through.

27. trollhammer20 says: Oct 12, 2011 11:53 PM

jeremyb91 says:
    Oct 12, 2011 9:33 PM

___________________________

No offense to Oakland’s line, but Seattle is
    currently ranked ninth against the run, and is tied for first in the league in terms of yards allowed per carry at 3.1. Oakland is allowing 5.2 yards per carry, which is tied for 28th.

Mebane, Bryant, and Branch are playing well, tying up blockers and letting guys like Hawthorne, Chancellor, and Thomas make plays.

Curry will make tackles in a limited space. Just don’t ask him to do much more than that. He is awful in pass coverage, and will miss open-field tackles that any other LB and 90 percent of CBs would make. His pass rush repetoire (and he’s been tried all over the field in this regard) consists of either rushing directly into the blocker or trying to loop outside and way overrunning the pocket.

The team reduced his salary and contract earlier this year hoping it would motivate him. It didn’t. I can guarantee the straw that broke the camel’s back was this last Sunday, when he looked downright lazy while allowing the Giants TE to get wide open for a big play, and he tried to arm-tackle Bradshaw in the open field, totally blew it, and gave up a first down on what could have been the winning drive for the Giants.

28. albigverg says: Oct 13, 2011 1:21 AM

Wow you Seahawk fans are comedians, when Curry came out in the draft the whole country was hailing him the next Ray Lew… he definitely has the skill set he just has not found his niche in the Seahawks D.. hopefully he puts it together in Oak.. just like Kam Wimbley did after Cleveland pretty much gift wrapped him to Oak.. this has all the signs of an Al Davis move.. lets hope the old man got this last one right.

29. hawkman84 says: Oct 13, 2011 1:40 AM

You know, I absolutely CAN NOT STAND Terrelle Pryor.

Didn’t like him in college, never was impressed with him, and never thought he was nearly as good or “talented” as all of the game announcers hyped him up to be.

Dude can’t throw, severely inaccurate–basically another case of these new day college spread QBs that I call LoAs–Lists of Attributes–who all think that just because they are athletic that makes them a viable QB.

When the Raiders took him in the 3rd round of the supplemental I shook my head and laughed. I even thought that was too high for a probable JaMarcus Russell 2.0.

Terrelle Pryor (and the Raiders) has now given me more reason not to like me because I was very optimistic that we would get nothing less than a 3rd round pick in return from whoever we traded Aaron Curry to; a fourth round at the very worst.

But no….because the Raiders used that 3rd on none other than Terrelle “T-Tatoo P-Purchasin’ Pryor, and I believe they are in terrible shape for the draft (I think they don’t have 3rd, 4th, nor 5th rd picks or something like that).

I was shocked and I mean SHOCKED that we’re only getting a friggin’ 7th round pick this year and only a conditional 5th nxt yr.

I mean, I know Curry is overrated (thanks a lot Ruskell) but really? I think he’s worth a heckuva lot more than a 7.

I really think we sold ourselves short on this one. But then again, you have to believe John and Pete exhausted their all their options….I hope!

Because what happened with all the Carolina trade rumors? Didn’t they lose 1 or 2 LBs recently?

Minnesota–we had a chance to finally stick it to Minny yet again for ’06 by unloading him there.

What about Philly? We all know they need LB help.

I really thought Pete and John should have hard-lined for no less than a 3rd or 4th to load up on picks to set things up for the draft….because, folks, I believe if we can’t get Luck then we should make sure we are sittin’ pretty ready and waitin’ in the 2nd round for none other than….

MR. RUSSELL WILSON, baby!!!!!

That’s if he doesn’t decide to play baseball of course.

Bottom line is: I think we got wayyy less than we should have gotten for Curry!

30. bnwpnw says: Oct 13, 2011 3:00 AM

And things took a particularly surreal turn toward the end, when he suddenly got all Jesus-freaky.

31. savannahrose44 says: Oct 13, 2011 5:36 AM

jeremyb91 says:
    Oct 12, 2011 9:33 PM

It will be interesting to see once the trade is finalized.

Seattle’s D line is no slouch. So many forget before Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane went out with injuries last season Seattle had the #3 defense in the league. They are healthy and performing this year. Curry cannot shed blockers and has never been able to do so in the NFL. In order to flow to the ball it would require Curry have the instincts to know where the ball is going. He simply doesn’t have those instincts. Watch some tape on him if you don’t believe the truth of it. I wouldn’t get my hopes up if I were you. Seattle fans learned the hard way that this kid is no football player.

32. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 13, 2011 7:50 AM

Curry has been a bust in the Seattle defense, but Hue Jackson and friends do a good job of letting players do what they do best.. Maybe Curry will flame out in Oakland too, but I’m certain Hue will put him in a position to emphasis his strengths, even it that mean playing situationally. The hang-up with the deal is probably regarding the restructuring of Curry’s contract..

33. trollhammer20 says: Oct 13, 2011 9:15 AM

hawkman84 says:
    Oct 13, 2011 1:40 AM

_______________________________

1) The trading deadline is only 5-6 days away.
    2) Curry had a “pre-lockout” rookie contract that was overpaying him relative to his contribution. It was going to be tough to find a team to take him with what he’s going to make next year.
    3) If we had waited another six days, we either a) Would have had to hope he suddenly changed his attitude and started playing better, or b) Would have let him go at the end of the year for absolutely nothing. At least we got a 7th and a conditional 4th or 5th. I’d rather have that than nothing. Given we got Kam Chancellor in the fifth round, and K.J. Wright in the fourth, this front office has shown they can find players later in the draft.
    4) Curry was becoming more than a mediocre player prone to mistakes. He was becoming a liability. His lack of effort hurt the team this past weekend, and if they keep him around with the slim hopes of getting more for him in the offseason, it could cost them a game later this year.
    5) He hadn’t played well enough to get much more than what we got for him. Joey Galloway played well, so we got two #1 picks. Rick Mirer showed occasional flashes, so we got a #1 pick. Most of the time you heard Aaron Curry mentioned over the PA system, it was the referee saying “Offsides, number fifty-nine, defense.”

At his best in Seattle, Curry was a two-down run stuffer. If the Raiders are giving up 5.2 ypc, that’s likely an area of need for them. I’ve been of the opinion that if Seattle had acquired Curry in the fourth or fifth round, he’d have been an OK pick, but when you take a player fourth overall, you expect a difference maker, not a two-down run stuffer.

34. vipod4ever says: Oct 13, 2011 12:29 PM

Low Risk/High Reward scenario for Hue Jackson and the Raiders.

The Kam Wimbley move was similar last year, and he became our leading sacker in ’10. Curry will be given specific assignments, nothing to complicated, likely always as a pass rusher. He’ll also have a chat with Mr.Seymour on the finer art of some “nastiness”. If Curry can get a half a dozen sacks at years end….it’s worth the late round pick, and if he sticks around for ’12, who knows….the Raiders have done this once or twice before.