Phil Simms: Al Davis offered me Raiders’ head-coaching job

Phil Simms AP

As the NFL world remembers the late Raiders owner Al Davis, former Giants quarterback Phil Simms is offering up a particularly interesting memory.

Simms, who has never coached at any level, said on Inside the NFL that Davis once approached him about becoming the head coach of the Raiders.

“He did offer me to become a Raiders coach, and to be their head coach. I got interviewed over the phone for many, many hours,” Simms said.

Simms didn’t say when this conversation took place, and it sounds like he didn’t seriously consider accepting. He believes that if he had accepted the job it would have ended badly.

“Of course I turned it down,” Simms said. “I’m glad I did because how bitter would I be if I got hired and fired a few times?”

It’s strange to think about Phil Simms roaming the sideline in Oakland. And it’s another reminder that Al Davis did things very differently from the rest of the NFL.

Permalink 103 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
103 Responses to “Phil Simms: Al Davis offered me Raiders’ head-coaching job”
  1. Stiller43 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:30 AM

Simms and Nance makeup about the worst commentary crew ever.

2. wtfpft says: Oct 13, 2011 11:30 AM

Sure he did Phil. He offered me a chance to play running back in 1987

3. edmazeing1 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:31 AM

going to far now….. al davis offer me the job to !!!

4. polishrod says: Oct 13, 2011 11:31 AM

Does anyone else believe this story to be true?

I certainly don’t, it sounded like Simms just wanted to fluff his own ego…. again!

There was almost no point or context to why he even said something like this!

5. fleischpeitsche says: Oct 13, 2011 11:31 AM

yeah right phil

6. 2sausage11 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:32 AM

Yeah right Phil! He offered me the job too!

7. fijabbersman345 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:34 AM

hahahahahahahaha Phil Simms is such a joke

8. swervinmervin says: Oct 13, 2011 11:39 AM

I believe he talked to Phil about coaching. Apparently Davis floated that out there often. He didnt always mean it obviously. Simms has quite the ego if he really thinks Davis would hire him as HC. I do believe that Davis may have brought him in as a OC. But come on, Phil. Get over yourself.

9. baltimorons says: Oct 13, 2011 11:40 AM

Oh God…Why didn’t he take the job?!?!?!? Get him out of the booth. Please…I beg you.
    Amen

10. La Milicia Negra says: Oct 13, 2011 11:40 AM

Phil your pants are on fire!

why would he hire one who never had any coaching jobs, or a so-so player.. as a QB coach, then I would have believed it..

Dont believe you for a second, and from now on everything you say will be overshadowed by this lie..

11. tampajoey says: Oct 13, 2011 11:40 AM

… and Tiki Barber said Al Davis promised him 2 weeks ago over the phone that he could come be the featured RB over McFadden

12. failcopter says: Oct 13, 2011 11:40 AM

Is there anyone he DIDN’T offer the job to?

13. edmazeing1 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:41 AM

Next week PFT will report that kid thats only aloud to score what two or 3 touchdowns a game was offer the raiders coaching job!!!

14. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 13, 2011 11:41 AM

With the passing of Mr. Davis, may he rest in peace, the Raiders coaching position becomes considerably more attractive.

15. edmazeing1 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:42 AM

& to add on why would he offer him the head coaching job instead of the QB coach job?

16. ajknox88 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:43 AM

As much as we though of Al as being “crazy” or whatever, he did a good job as a whole and it looks like he has set up the team for the future to be good. It’s too bad he isn’t around to see this.

Simms has no reason to lie…

17. vbe2 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:45 AM

==================================
    It’s a reminder that Al Davis was senile.

18. humb0lt says: Oct 13, 2011 11:46 AM

This is true.

Simms’ story is corroborated by sportscaster Jim Gray, who brought the story out of Simms on Westwood 1′s radio coverage of MNF this week.

Gray said he acted as an intermediary between Davis and Simms, contacting Simms on Davis’ behalf.

19. ar082 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:46 AM

Uncle Rico: How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?… Yeah… Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would’ve been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

20. bloggingpoodlewalker says: Oct 13, 2011 11:47 AM

Phil got offered a job there about the same time Run Run Jones died.

21. cowboyfan45 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:47 AM

should of taken the job Phil, because you suck as a color commentator

22. scoops1 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:48 AM

I heard Al offered Chris Simms a job as Towel Boy

23. MichaelEdits says: Oct 13, 2011 11:48 AM

Simms coaching and Millen as GM – Dream Team!

24. jacunn2000 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:48 AM

Weird, he offered it to me too!!

25. seneca1ss says: Oct 13, 2011 11:49 AM

at 1st, I thought it said “Chris Simms”
    (whoa….I better lay off the bloody Mary’s)

26. dukemarc says: Oct 13, 2011 11:49 AM

Leave it to Phil “Look At Me” Simms to put words in a deceased man’s mouth. What a jerk.

27. njdevil7 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:49 AM

Davis was just taking one for the team and getting Sims out of the booth.

28. castleofcheese says: Oct 13, 2011 11:50 AM

He offered me the job too. I didn’t even know Al Davis had my phone number.

29. cubano76 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:51 AM

Yeah surrreeee Phil! And I bet you once caught a fish that was THIS big!!!!!!!

30. waxedagain says: Oct 13, 2011 11:51 AM

Davis also offered Alfred E. Newman the job, and though he turned it down, there is a rumor that he was Davis’ special assistant for a few years.

31. kappy32 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:51 AM

Phil Simms is probably the best analyst in the game. He’s always on top of things & has great insight. It’s a shame that you have to suffer through a Jet game most weeks to hear him, but sometimes it’s worth it. Glad he didn’t take the job.

32. sguy2130 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:51 AM

John Madden coached the Raiders, do we really need to question that Phil Simms was offered the job. I think it’s safe to say that John Madden is not the reason why the Raiders were good back then….

33. thefiesty1 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:54 AM

Phil Simms and his son (Chrissy) are both useless. Visions of grandeur on both of them.

34. raiderrob21 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:54 AM

I have lost what very little respect I had for Phil after this joke of a revelation. Funny how you decidto go public with this lie after Mr. Davis is gone. You are a complete moron Phil.
    RAIDER NATION!!

35. mel1sharples says: Oct 13, 2011 11:54 AM

Denny Green is laughing right now…

Phil is who he thought he was.

36. ravenspit says: Oct 13, 2011 11:54 AM

Now that the old coot is gone, crap stories like this will continue to come out since he can’t efute them.

37. deadmanwalking47 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:57 AM

phil sims,a legend in his own mind!
    i guess he would have signed collingsworth as his OC too,aye?

38. dawsonleery says: Oct 13, 2011 11:59 AM

It could have been 2006 when Al fired Norv Turner and no one wanted the job and Al gave it to Art Shell. That was a very dark time for the Raiders.

39. kwgator says: Oct 13, 2011 12:02 PM

Al Davis offered me One Million Dollars to spend the night with my wife. I said one night? You can have her for $500K

40. nflsonlyone says: Oct 13, 2011 12:04 PM

Phil Simms is so full of crap and should be called out publicly for it

41. Robert says: Oct 13, 2011 12:10 PM

He offered me one too.

Anybody else?

42. raiderinpa says: Oct 13, 2011 12:10 PM

Think I just heard Simms’ horn tooting!??

He must have been ‘burning one’ with his son before this statement!…
    Oh, no, my bad… it was the guy in the car with Simms who was ‘burning one’….lol

43. lunarpie says: Oct 13, 2011 12:13 PM

Next time ya listen to Phil Simms commentating count how many times he says, “TALK ABOUT…” You’ll get close to 100 times.

He’s a horrible announcer and Al Davis never would’ve hired him as a Head Coach, maybe a QB coach. But never a Head Coach!

44. joetoronto says: Oct 13, 2011 12:14 PM

vbe2 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:45 AM

==================================
    It’s a reminder that Al Davis was senile.
    *************************************************
    26 of the last 29 players Al Davis drafted are still with the team, 26 of 29.

You call that being senile?

45. scoops1 says: Oct 13, 2011 12:14 PM

Ice Cube would have been offered a coaching job before Phil Simms

46. radrntn says: Oct 13, 2011 12:19 PM

he offered me the job to

47. 1nationraidernation says: Oct 13, 2011 12:25 PM

thats funny, I interviewed for the same job over the phone with Al as well. I drew up some x’s and o’s on the board, and al clearly liked what he saw on the phone. this is true because dumbolt was there.

48. tatatoothy says: Oct 13, 2011 12:27 PM

Al once offered me a 51% ownership stake in the Raiders, too. But I turned it down. I didn’t feel it would have worked out for me or my family.

49. pftareraiderhaters says: Oct 13, 2011 12:33 PM

It’s true , Al called me right up after he hung up from Phil, and said you know nothing about coaching, so for the first time in the history of my life, every other owner’s life in every professional sport, I am going to hire a guy who has never coached before.
    Then I told him, I am your man, and he said well I got another guy who at least played the game, and I said what does that matter, we both don’t know Jack. Then I thought about it, and said gee I could have one of the most elite jobs in the world on my resume, but I might get fired, and really what fun would that be. So I passed on the job so i could go into the media where I can say whatever I want, whenever I want and I will never get fired for that….such job security.

50. jackfnburton says: Oct 13, 2011 12:34 PM

Wait, what?

Phil, are you fishing for attention again?

51. greymares says: Oct 13, 2011 12:41 PM

John F. Kennedy once offered me the job of Secretary of State, yes sir, yes he did.

52. raiderluv says: Oct 13, 2011 12:43 PM

I don’t believe one ounce of that story. This guy is trying to get attention off of AD and on to himself. I bet he has never even talked to Al. What a sad and rediculous way to try and get some attention.

53. alaricsrevenge says: Oct 13, 2011 12:49 PM

I’m Al Davis and Phil Simms was too slow to be my Head Coach.

54. Robert says: Oct 13, 2011 12:50 PM

Al Davis is my Pappa.

55. countsnail says: Oct 13, 2011 12:59 PM

This had to have happened within the last 10 years. There are a lot of great things to remember Al for, but the last 10 years is not one of them. The man kind of lost in terms of managing an NFL Franchise.

56. austrianpanther says: Oct 13, 2011 1:05 PM

I get offers every day!! But I dont brag about it!

Phil Simms a head coach!!!!! LOL Maybe Phil Seems Head-job sounds better!!

Next we will hear that he was the behind-the-scene quaterback coach under Parcells!!

57. pixelito says: Oct 13, 2011 1:09 PM

Your’re talking about the same idiot owner who hired Art Shell twice….

TWICE!

Simms will be remembered as being part of one of the great franchises, not the laughing stock of the NFL….

58. justwinbaby29 says: Oct 13, 2011 1:10 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted.

59. RomosRibs says: Oct 13, 2011 1:11 PM

Leave it to Phil Simms to say something ELSE that cannot be verified.

If Phil HAD gotten the job, Hostetler would have had to come in and win the big games for Al, like he did in that Super Bowl win! D’OH !

60. oaklegend says: Oct 13, 2011 1:20 PM

Phil, you lie like a rug. Al would’ve brought you out to HQ and grilled you with the chalkboard for a couple of days before he would offer you the HC position. Maybe, MAYBE he invited you out for a real interview, but he didn’t offer you the job. That doesn’t fit with the way Al Davis always did it.

61. greenbirdbacker says: Oct 13, 2011 1:22 PM

Jim Nance is a golf announcer, how in the hell he gets to call an NFL game or a NCAA game is beyond me. And then you have Gus Johnson, the most enthusiastic PBP man today, just calling his first game of the season a few weeks ago.

FOX should put Gus in the booth w/ Tim Ryan…i would get the overpriced sunday ticket just to tivo their games.

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

62. hendawg21 says: Oct 13, 2011 1:24 PM

Boy can you say big fat lie…come on Phil and tell us why would Al do such a thing? Oh and btw Fox has offered me the role of made for TV movie about Louis Armstrong had to turn them down not chubby enough, not dark enough and I can’t play a single instrument…

63. hendawg21 says: Oct 13, 2011 1:25 PM

Phil have you been smoking weed with Chris???

64. dvdman123 says: Oct 13, 2011 1:31 PM

Yeah I remember that Phil. That’s when he offered me the Raiders GM job. (wink, wink)

65. ottomanismydog says: Oct 13, 2011 1:38 PM

This is hilarious. Only Phil Simms would conjure up such a load of crap. I mean, he does it every Sunday in the fall.

66. crazysandude says: Oct 13, 2011 1:40 PM

Phil… that just goes to show that you missed Al’s sense of humor!

Wake up Phil, if that conversation did happen it was just Al being facetious :)

67. gmen1987 says: Oct 13, 2011 1:40 PM

Al Davis never would have hired a 32 year old college football QB coach to be his head coach. Wait, he did.

Al Davis never would hire a bed and breakfast owner to be his offensive coordinator. Wait, he did.

Al Davis would never draft a fat QB with poor work ethic as the 1st overall draft pick only to cut him a couple of years later. Wait, he did.

You Raider homers forgot how senile Al Davis was in his last 24 years with the team. 6 playoff appearances in that time span.

Why would Phil Simms lie about something like this? Would surprise me if Senile Al tried something like this.

68. scoops1 says: Oct 13, 2011 1:41 PM

the only job for Phil would be Assistant to the Traveling Secretary

69. omnipresentfan says: Oct 13, 2011 2:04 PM

It’s amazing the things a dead had said when he was alive…. well, as long as he’s not around to defend himself, he’s the one who started the Texas forest fire.

Take that Phil

70. thegonz13 says: Oct 13, 2011 2:04 PM

Actually, I turned the job down too. Al said he was “extremely disappointed” and then turned to Simms as a consolation prize.

71. gmen1987 says: Oct 13, 2011 2:08 PM

Honk if your turned down a coaching job from Al Davis. Al Davis probably was scouting Pop Warner games for head coaching prospects in his last year, but they turned down Senile Al as well.

72. nomoreseasontix says: Oct 13, 2011 2:14 PM

Yeah. Ok. I’ll buy that.

BS story. Just trying to get people talking about something besides him sucking on air.

73. dougydougdoug says: Oct 13, 2011 2:35 PM

For all you mouth-breathing Raiders fans who are “contributing” your opinions here, the word you are looking for is “too” not “to”. Unfortunately for you, they didn’t stress that distinction in your GED classes in the Alameda county jail.

74. riihab says: Oct 13, 2011 2:36 PM

Al Davis should of gave Snoop Dogg the Head Coaching gig before Phil Simms. At least Snoop Dogg has coaching experience (on a smaller level) and his sons are better at football then any of the Simm’s boys. Snoop Dogg for HC and GM!

75. ravensgrl says: Oct 13, 2011 2:46 PM

I wish he would’ve taken it! Then I wouldn’t have to listen to his sorry commentary every week!

76. kev86 says: Oct 13, 2011 2:46 PM

I believe it. For a qb that was under the qb wrath of Parcells for so long, I can see Davis making that call and kicking the tires. Granted he was probably intoxicated on something or alot of things but I can def. see Davis making a latenight booty call on behalf of his Raiders.

77. cytofed says: Oct 13, 2011 2:47 PM

dougydougdoug says:
    Oct 13, 2011 2:35 PM

78. cantonbound13 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:03 PM

Sure Phil, Al offered me a house, Bentley & yacht.

79. jakek2 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:03 PM

Giants’ haters out in full force – WOW!

Let me shed some knowledge on you folk:

1) As an announcer, Simms is the BEST the league has seen in 30 years. Pinpoint observations. No favortism. No annoying banter. Doesn’t drone on and on like every other. Professional as they come. Sometimes I wish I was a fan of a good AFC team so that I can hear him announce my games instead of Troy and that slob Siragusa.

2) As a coaching candidate, he’d have been AWESOME. He would not have been another one of Al’s flops (i.e. Cable, Kiffin). Phil is smart, learned how to motivate from the best, and tougher at his age now than 90% of the players in the NFL. Players would run through a brick wall for him.

Now…I will disclose that I am a Giants’ fan but I am not a typical homer. (For instance, I know Pierce is horrible on ESPN). However, I’ve seen enough of Phil to know he’d be successful. In fact, I would LOVE it if he took over for Coughlin if ever the ol’ ball coach ever hangs em’ up.

80. nicosanchez02 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:04 PM

Hey Phil,
    Is this before your 2nd or 3rd concussion!

81. jakek2 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:05 PM

kev86 – I’m can’t log into NYDN to post and its killing me. Any tips?

82. cantonbound13 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:06 PM

As a Dolphin fan, I would like to warn the rest of the NFL to stay away from anyone associated with Parcells.

83. marcsasharc says: Oct 13, 2011 3:09 PM

well, Al Davis did make Art Shell the head coach. twice.

i believe Phil Simms.

84. dougydougdoug says: Oct 13, 2011 3:10 PM

“Hold your horses Mr. PHD not all Raiders fan are in jail. I’m sure your team have fan who are in jail at this momment as well. if you procliam yourself as an educated person than how can you not pictured that? Show me prove of your education or else it would just be another classless lies. Shame on you and the insitution that graduated your ass. lol”

cytofed, you have just proven my point better than I could have ever possibly imagined. Thank you, and thank your second-grade teacher, for putting in that extra effort with you when you turned twelve.

85. grogansheroes says: Oct 13, 2011 3:12 PM

waxedagain says:
    Oct 13, 2011 11:51 AM

Good one waxed! Too bad most of the posters don’t know who Alfred E Newman is.

86. slickster35 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:13 PM

So, if you speak the truth, and say something about the fade your comments aren’t posted?

87. jimmysimpson55 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:16 PM

Phil Simms sounds like Obama, making claims that cannot be verrified, like 2 million jobs saved or created.

88. r8rsfan says: Oct 13, 2011 3:16 PM

A man (or woman more likely) who’s handle is dougydougdoug serving as the blog punctuation and spelling editor. You take yourself far more seriously than anyone else, and that’s not a healthy way to go about your life. Another Raider Nation wannabee. Look that word up in your dictionary, scrub.

89. cytofed says: Oct 13, 2011 3:37 PM

So ur the person he’s talking about? Lol

r8rsfan says:
    Oct 13, 2011 3:16 PM

0 0

90. dougydougdoug says: Oct 13, 2011 3:39 PM

r8rsfan, you bring up a good point, albeit a little misdirected. There really should be some kind of “hall monitor” for this place. As is painfully clear, the Raiders fans (is it really a nation?) need all the help they can get. Granted, they do seem to be doing a fairly good job with transmitting remotely from the festivals of the unemployed, er, “Occupy Wallstreet”.

Even if I wanted to be a Raiders fan, which I really don’t, I simply would be overqualified, as I wasn’t state-raised.

But taking myself too seriously? No way, Jose. Do you realize how fun it is to poke a stick at little animals?

91. radrntn says: Oct 13, 2011 3:40 PM

pixelito says:
    Oct 13, 2011 1:09 PM
    Your’re talking about the same idiot owner who hired Art Shell twice….

TWICE!

________________________________

Art Shell record with the raiders 54 -38 (586%)so he got fired. The great NY Giants franchise under Tom Chokelin, 68-48 (586%), and still employed for his “greatness”.

I would have to say the raiders have a difference of opinion of what great is. btw “great”game against the powerhouse seahawks last week.

92. bigtrav425 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:58 PM

How can anyone doubt this story?….its Al Freakin Davis! …anything can happen with this dude

93. kev86 says: Oct 13, 2011 4:08 PM

jakek2 says:
    Oct 13, 2011 3:05 PM
    kev86 – I’m can’t log into NYDN to post and its killing me. Any tips?

No tips but I’ve been keeping the haters in line as much as possible. See you there soon!!!

94. nygdefenserules says: Oct 13, 2011 4:09 PM

Al: “yeah, it was nice talking to you about the coaching position. Let me know if you are interested, Bill”

Phil: “Thanks Mr. Davis….but my name is Phil. Phil Simms, former QB of the Giants…..”

Al: “Crap! I though I called BILL Belicheck….heard he was getting canned by the Browns….”

Phil: “Oh, honest mistake….What positions do you have available?”

Al: …..*click*

95. joegatlin says: Oct 13, 2011 4:09 PM

Hey Phil I seam to remember that back it 1998…errrr…I meant you thought he said Jon Gruden.

96. joegatlin says: Oct 13, 2011 4:11 PM

Hey Phil I just talked to your Neurosurgeon and he confirmed there are a few gaps in your medium term memory.

97. bigbluefan1 says: Oct 13, 2011 4:33 PM

First yes I am a giants fan and am a Phil Simms fan

There is no reason to make this up as he has proven himself where it matters
    SB MVP He was 22-25 which I am pretty sure is still a record for the SB also he was 14-2 that season how many QB’s go 14-2?
    He is one of only 10 NYG to have his number retired thats right one of 10
    He is in the teams ring of Honor and he should be in the HOF

He was one of the toughest SOB’s to ever play the game he took hits and gave them back
    I recall after a game againest the 9ers he chased Ronnie Lott into the locker room after a few cheap shots.
    He did not cry to the Refs he got mad and got even.

As per the norm on this site as he was a NYG he is bashed why does everyone bash the Giants if Wellington Mara was not the man he was there would be no NFL he was the one that got the owners to get equal shares of the TV money but bash the team.
    Your team would not exisit today with out the money Wellington Mara gave up
    Phil Simms is a part of the greatest team that ever played the game

98. gmen1987 says: Oct 13, 2011 4:41 PM

The Raider fans are in denial about how senile Al Davis was in his last two decades of owning the team.

99. torturedraiderfan says: Oct 13, 2011 5:09 PM

Hey Phil, I was the Head Coach of the Raider for 10 years…..yeah, I won a Super Bowl too…..come to think of it, I was inducted into the Hall of Fame, yeah that’s right, the Hall of Fame. Maybe Al called Phil to pick his brain, like he often did, but it sounds like Al was saying one thing and Phil was hearing another….and why did it take so long for Simms bring this up? I like Phil, but its time to put down the crack pipe.

100. raiderapologist says: Oct 13, 2011 6:25 PM

sguy2130 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:51 AM

Head coach at 32. Won 100 games in ten 14 game seasons. Won a Super Bowl. Never had a losing season. Hall of Fame. Yeah, he sucked.

101. huejackson says: Oct 13, 2011 9:48 PM

Come on! PFT you know this is a lie..
    I love all the media people all have nice things to say about Coach.. If you asked them 2 weeks ago they would of trashed him but now that he is dead they all say the loved him and ofcourse will make up stories because they know Coach can’t call them out on their lies..Schefter is going to be really happy cause nobody can catch him in lies now

102. stampnhawk says: Oct 13, 2011 11:51 PM

I feel my IQ drop about 20 points when I have to listen to Sims, in that golly-gee accent, tell me that “if you restrict a receiver’s path to the ball, it’s pass interference” as he did in the Pats game over the weekend. Just one of the many deep and insightful nuggets on a week to week basis.

Probably ol’ Al was trying to grease Phil to see if his son was any good and worth spending a draft pick on him.

103. gmen1987 says: Oct 14, 2011 8:16 AM

The Raidah fans are in denial that Al was senile.

There was a time where Al had to scrap the bottom of the coaching barrell because no respectable coach wanted to work for him. No surprise he would give Phil Simms a call.