Report: LeGarrette Blount to miss several weeks with MCL sprain

Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Blount is tackled by San Francisco 49ers Willis during the first quarter of their NFL football game in San Francisco Reuters

The Bucs have kept a pretty tight lid on the status of running back LeGarrette Blount.  And that approach is fully within the rules; all any team has to disclose about its players is injured whether and to what extent they practice on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday (or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for the Monday night participants), and ultimately whether they are out, doubtful, questionable, or probable to play.

On Wednesday, the team disclosed that Blount didn’t participate in practice due to a knee injury.  In his Thursday press conference, coach Raheem Morris indicates, vaguely, that Blount didn’t practice.

According to J.P. Peterson of WQYK-AM 1010 in Tampa (via JoeBucsFan.com), Blount will miss “several weeks” with a Grade 2 MCL sprain.  The injury happened during a 48-3 blowout loss to the 49ers.

Earnest Graham is expected to assume the role of the No. 1 tailback in Blount’s absence.  The Bucs face the Saints on Sunday.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Report: LeGarrette Blount to miss several weeks with MCL sprain”
  1. castleofcheese says: Oct 13, 2011 5:36 PM

This is good news for my fantasy team.

I foresee a lot of thumbs down in my near future….

2. marcsasharc says: Oct 13, 2011 5:37 PM

so, lets see how many people critique Morris for leaving Blount in a blowout game just to get hurt.

tsk tsk.

3. 7thlombardiontheway says: Oct 13, 2011 5:48 PM

LOL!

4. 1paulkemp1 says: Oct 13, 2011 5:48 PM

I hate it when my Blount goes out:(

5. cavredleg15 says: Oct 13, 2011 6:01 PM

@ marcsasharc
    It ended up being a blowout, but at the time Blount was injured there was still a chance of a comeback. If It happened on the 3rd play of the Bucs first drive in the 3rd quarter. Granted that would have been a hell of a comeback, but it has happened a few times this year.

On the injury. The wording is kind of down playing it.
    They are calling it a Grade 2 MCL sprain. Which is essentially a partial tear.

6. mvpolamalu says: Oct 13, 2011 6:01 PM

My fantasy team just took a huge hit, like people do when they smoke blounts

7. seneca1ss says: Oct 13, 2011 6:03 PM

Trent Richardson: say hello to the Buccaneers
    2012 Bucs 1st round selection

8. boopipes says: Oct 13, 2011 6:03 PM

I hate Chip Kelly.

9. chocolatebaconbutter says: Oct 13, 2011 6:04 PM

WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR FANTASY TEAMS!!!! GOOD GOD. TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE! ARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

10. waxthat says: Oct 13, 2011 6:08 PM

Willis & Bowman hurt people.

11. mantastic54 says: Oct 13, 2011 6:14 PM

This is the same injury Cutler had, I guess Blount needs to man up and play through it

12. chowface86 says: Oct 13, 2011 6:19 PM

Somewhere Carnell Williams is dying of laughter.

13. rodgerthat says: Oct 13, 2011 6:21 PM

No Blount? Dang I hate it when that happens….

14. ninerdynasty says: Oct 13, 2011 6:33 PM

waxthat says:
    Oct 13, 2011 6:08 PM
    Willis & Bowman hurt people.

————————————————–
    You forgot about Goldson.

15. donvitosf says: Oct 13, 2011 6:37 PM

Brought to you by, SF DEFENCE. We take the run out of running backs.

16. silkyjohnson937 says: Oct 13, 2011 6:39 PM

Son of a bench!!! And enough with the trent richardson comments already i’d rather the bucs just use early pick on defense, get wrs and rbs late in the draft

17. alldayvikings says: Oct 13, 2011 6:44 PM

Before this came out I traded him in a package deal and got best. Good trade for me!!!

18. abr173rd says: Oct 13, 2011 6:55 PM

Cutler is a QB his job is to suck it up and STAND there, Blount’s job is to run, see the difference?????

19. canjura says: Oct 13, 2011 7:00 PM

@Mantastic54: amen.

20. muttbolts says: Oct 13, 2011 7:26 PM

Fantasy football is like dungeons and dragons. thats why its called FANTASY football.get a girlfriend.

21. bucforever says: Oct 13, 2011 7:39 PM

Next man up ! Graham and Lumpkin will have to get it done! Just need Josh Freeman to start throwing the long passes like last year !
    GO BUCS!

22. drgreenstreak says: Oct 13, 2011 7:45 PM

Time to head back to Oregon for a medical supply!

23. fishdaddy217 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:18 PM

“Somewhere Carnell Williams is dying of laughter.”

No hes not….. he’s playing for the Rams

24. thetruth619 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:28 PM

muttbolts says:
    Oct 13, 2011 7:26 PM

————————————-

How does that make sense? It’s easy to tell the people who are completely clueless about something.

My league for instance, is 10 guys.
    5 = married
    1 = engaged
    2 = have girlfriends
    2 = single

So, Im not sure what fantasy football has to do with having a girlfriend lol. I guess having a better understanding of the game makes you a geek these days. Wow.

25. FinFan68 says: Oct 13, 2011 9:48 PM

I wish they would get rid of the injury report. For years its only purpose was to influence the point spreads. Unfortunately, with fantasy football a huge money-maker, they will keep trotting out vague/subjective explanations of a player’s ability to start/play.

@thetruth619: Tallying stats does not make one have a better understanding of the game. Some FF players do have a good grasp on the game but I would bet they had that before playing FF.

26. thetruth619 says: Oct 13, 2011 10:35 PM

@FinFan

I have a pretty good understanding of the game, and did before playing FF. And at one point Im sure I looked at it as silly. But I do admit, FF does make you pay attention to things you may not normally pay attention to. Its much more than tallying stats. If you play, I’m sure you’d agree with that. At the very least, it makes normally boring games interesting. I would never have imagined myself giving a damn what happens in a Cleveland/Jacksonville game lol.

27. trollaikman8 says: Oct 13, 2011 10:53 PM

“And with the 3rd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Buccaneers select….”

Freeman can’t carry the team and Mike Williams has disappeared.

28. buffaloniner says: Oct 13, 2011 11:07 PM

FinFan68 says: Oct 13, 2011 9:48 PM

———————

You do realize that the coaches are the ones that give out these vague, subjective explanations right? Do you really think that that coaches give a crap weather or not the NFL makes money on fantasy football? One with a better understanding of the game might say that these vague explanations are given as a strategic ploy by the team to not tip their hand and keep their opponents guessing about what to prepare for…. by the way Blount going out really hurts my fantasy team, loved the way my Niners played that game though.

29. jumpinjoebuck says: Oct 14, 2011 2:17 AM

Tiki’s gonna be flabbergasted if the Bucs don’t give him a call

30. balewsquare says: Oct 14, 2011 9:51 AM

@thetruth619

Exactly. Fantasy football has made me a fan of the league. Fan of the NFL, as opposed to just a fan of my hometown team.