Saints-Panthers fight: Harper not sorry, Rivera “glad it happened”

Steve Smith,  Roman Harper AP

A fight broke out during Sunday’s Saints-Panthers game, and even with some time to cool off and reflect, neither side feels bad about it.

Saints defensive back Roman Harper started the whole thing by shoving Panthers receiver Steve Smith in the end zone after Smith scored a touchdown, and Harper said he wouldn’t apologize for that.

“I just was like, ‘You’re not going to walk and showboat in our end zone like that,’” Harper said. “I just lost it, and maybe I shouldn’t have hit him but I did. I’m not going to apologize for what I did.”

The entire Panthers offense got mixed up in the ensuing brawl, and Panthers coach Ron Rivera says he’s pleased his players didn’t turn the other cheek.

“You’re coming into our place and you’re going to come after one of our guys? We’re not going to take it,” Rivera said. “That’s just the way it is. This is our house. You come in here, you’re not going to shove us around. I’m glad it happened the way it did. People need to know: We’re going to hit you back.”

So no one seems to be very sorry for the brawl. We’ll see if they’re sorry when the fine letters arrive.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Saints-Panthers fight: Harper not sorry, Rivera “glad it happened””
  1. obi24 says: Oct 13, 2011 7:08 AM

Harper should use some of that anger to work on his covering skills.

2. packfaninchitown says: Oct 13, 2011 7:08 AM

__________________________________
    You tell em Ronnie!

we’ve Got The Right To Choose And
    there Ain’t No Way We’ll Lose It
    this Is Our Life, This Is Our Song!
    we’ll Fight The Powers That Be Just

if That’s Your Best, Your Best Won’t Do

we’re Right! Yeah!
    we’re Free! Yeah!
    we’ll Fight! Yeah!
    you’ll See! Yeah!

3. joetoronto says: Oct 13, 2011 7:09 AM

Harper clearly crossed the line and fully deserves to be fined, that was crazy.

4. kelvinmchale says: Oct 13, 2011 7:11 AM

Way to take a portion of a full quite and put it in the headline so it changes the meaning of the original quote. It’s misleading and you guys do it all the time. Amateur hour.

5. ak18346 says: Oct 13, 2011 7:19 AM

Thanks coach Rivera I agree as a Panthers fan that made me so happy. GO PANTHERS!

6. longdrivesaint says: Oct 13, 2011 7:19 AM

As a long time Saints fan I was torn when I saw this. Yes it was a cheap shot , but the other side of me was glad to see it. After watching this punk Steve Smith over the years and some of the antics he’s pulled I think he needed it just not at that juncture in the game. Somewhere Ken Lucas is laughing though. Can’t wait til round #2 Jan 1st.

7. abr173rd says: Oct 13, 2011 7:22 AM

I could understand if the Saints were at home and he was trying to justify it being “Our Endzone”, but he was in Carolina and thats their house. I love Harper but thats not the kind of organization the Saints are period.

8. dd393 says: Oct 13, 2011 7:26 AM

So, basically, they can’t play competently, so let’s get into a fight and show how tough we are. Sad. Learn how to coach and play the game. That’s what it’s all about.

9. monsterscream says: Oct 13, 2011 7:28 AM

Earth to Coach Ron…You know the Saints won the real ‘fight’ right?

10. qdog112 says: Oct 13, 2011 7:36 AM

Message to Harper: if you stop them from scoring, they can’t, “showboat in our end zone like that”. It was a classless act, but at least he admitted – he just lost it. Now he should lose a little more from his wallet.

As a Panthers fan, it’s like coach Rivera said – “we must protect this house!”

11. smackingfools says: Oct 13, 2011 7:49 AM

When are people gonna learn not to mess with Steve Smith?

12. longdrivesaint says: Oct 13, 2011 8:00 AM

Ok with some of these thumbs down then explain yourselves. Leave the love for the Panties and the hate for the Saints out and tell us an intelligent explaination.

13. cardsfann1 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:02 AM

If Harper was on the Panthers then Smith would have knocked him slap out! Harper is TERRIBLE in coverage, average at best in run support. Takes horrible cheap shots on people in the end zone.(Smith is a punk though and almost deserves it) Saints gave this chump a new deal in the off season because there was nobody else available apparently.

14. thesportsguy52 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:04 AM

It’s great to see this. seriously. After all of the soft, whiney Roughing the Passer and ‘helmet-to-shoulder’ calls that fans have had to suffer through, this is a reminder of what football can and should be AT TIMES.

As a Ravens fan I can appreciate this kind of thing happening in a rivalry game. In fact, I’m GLAD it did, and it’s so refreshing to see two teams go at it like this throughout a division battle. That’s how it should be.

What I like even more is how the coaches handled it. Rivera certainly stood behind his guys, but more than that, he encouraged it. There’s genuine dislike here, and that’s not always a bad thing.

15. toledoohoh says: Oct 13, 2011 8:05 AM

Celebrating in the endzone??? Where will the madness end?

16. wherezwaldo says: Oct 13, 2011 8:07 AM

I didn’t see any fight in Harper, Steve Smith handled that dude.

17. billsin20xx says: Oct 13, 2011 8:10 AM

I can’t believe the officials didn’t eject him for the hit. Something as blatantly illegal as that hit should have been an automatic ejection.

18. obamasballsack says: Oct 13, 2011 8:12 AM

Who won the game though?

19. slippyal2 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:27 AM

I bet Harper apologized to Jenkins.

20. CKL says: Oct 13, 2011 8:28 AM

Surprised Rivera would make such a strong statement like that.
    As for Harper, if he thinks that particular play was showboating, he must be hypersensitive. He was just mad and frustrated SS scored, that was my take. I mean Greer, who was the CB SS broke free from isn’t the one who punked him.

21. ourbaskets says: Oct 13, 2011 8:30 AM

That was a super cheap shot by Harper and it has no place in the game. What if Smith had gotten injured – then what?

Maybe if Harper were faster he would have gotten him BEFORE he scored a touchdown – and then drilled him as hard as he could. Not AFTER the fact – that is cheap. I hope they fine the crap out of him.

Having said that though – I love watching some real football. Especially in the NFC South. We really don’t like each other much.

22. zaggs says: Oct 13, 2011 8:35 AM

Did Harper think for a moment that if the coverage hadn’t sucked on that play Smith couldn’t showboat like that?

23. mwm367 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:36 AM

It was a cheap shot to Smith’s blind side after he had scored. He was penalized 15 yards and I hope he gets a fine. He’ll get burnt again when the Panthers go down to new orleans at the end of the season. Cam to Smith….Touchdown!

24. broncosaddict says: Oct 13, 2011 8:39 AM

This doesnt make any sense.
    Your not at home, so its not your teams end zone in that context, so he had to mean their end zone for the quarter.
    Doesnt that mean he’s gonna “lose it” and go after anyone on an opposing team who scores a touchdown and has the audacity to do a perfectly legal “touchdown dance”?

25. mdd913 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:43 AM

I didn’t see any fight in Harper, Steve Smith handled that dude.

—————————————————————–

Smith didn’t “handle” Harper, matter of fact he never even touched him. He went after Malcolm Jenkins instead.

Smith is a punk and a coward. He deserves whatever cheap shots get put on him because he’s been doing the same for years.

26. mdd913 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:44 AM

So, basically, they can’t play competently,

—————————————————————–

Hmm….Saints seem pretty competent to me. The Panther suck, so I guess you could say that’s true on their end.

27. cdsaints says: Oct 13, 2011 8:47 AM

Well Ron, apparently the Saints will come in your house and push you around. 30-27 Saints!

28. mdd913 says: Oct 13, 2011 8:47 AM

Don’t get all the sympathy for Smith. He’s been one of the most classless a-holes in the league for a number of years. This guy has twice punched out his own teammates, demanded to be traded, and generally acted like a showboating ass from the moment he entered the league.

How anybody can side with him is beyond me, especially when he clearly did an act that could have seriously hurt or ended the career of Malcolm Jenkins who wasn’t even involved. Good thing Smith had those 3 big offensive linemen around or he wouldn’t have done crap. He’s a coward.

29. souldogdave says: Oct 13, 2011 8:54 AM

Punk teams don’t like getting beat?

30. jonbeaston says: Oct 13, 2011 9:04 AM

2 Things. First of all, if I was every going into an alley for a fight, I would want Steve Smith on my side, he could kick anyone’s ass.

Secondly, and a little off topic, I love how penalties given following a touchdown or extra point are enforced on the kickoff. Since they moved kickoffs up to the 35, they are already booting it out of the endzone, so what’s the point of giving them another 5-15 yards to put it in the grand stands? Why don’t they enforce the penalty after the return, where it might actually affect field position? Maybe this will cut down on endzone celebrations, and guys will think first befire giving a team another 15 yards after the kick return.

31. str82dvd says: Oct 13, 2011 9:08 AM

I cannot stand Steve Smith, and I loved watching him get hit. It was a little late, but Steve is partially to blame for slowing down to taunt the defense.

In fact, I think there should be an exception to the late hit rule whenever one of these showboats taunts. God I hate these players sometimes. I enjoyed watching the owners stick it to them in the off-season.

32. diabloryno says: Oct 13, 2011 9:11 AM

Harper should’ve been worrying about his teammate that was looking at a potential beat down from Steve Smith while on his backside. Harper made a cheap shot, but couldn’t back it up. Weanie.

33. koolbreeze7 says: Oct 13, 2011 9:14 AM

How come Steve Smith didnt go after the dude that actually hit him? He saw Harper’s neck, and got scared!

34. toledoohoh says: Oct 13, 2011 9:17 AM

To be honest I think it shows disrespect to even try and get in the Saints endzone.

35. rajuncajun28 says: Oct 13, 2011 9:18 AM

1. Must suck to be a Panthers fan.

2. Harper is not a cover guy. Know the facts before you state stupid comments.

3. Saints won. We are 4-1. You are 1-4. We have a SB trophy. You do not.

4. Saints > Panthers

5. See # 1.

36. bmorelikeme says: Oct 13, 2011 9:24 AM

He hit him before Smith even had a chance to celebrate in the endzone…Harper’s excuse is lame

37. rippedoffhead says: Oct 13, 2011 9:26 AM

Keep it up Smith! Don’t worry about the ignorant fools talking about you being a ‘punk’… you’re only a punk because you aren’t on their team…

Also, how can anyone say he was ‘show-boating’?? He kept looking back to his right to make sure Greer wasn’t coming back after him… he had no idea Harper was coming from his left he felt as is he had beaten everyone (which he did)… the only punk I saw was Harper being a douche and can’t accept the fact Smith do-what-he-do.

38. realitypolice says: Oct 13, 2011 9:31 AM

We’ll see if they’re sorry when the fine letters arrive.
    ========================

I doubt it. What are they going to get? 25k? What does Steve Smith make per game? 250-500K?

Just because it makes for a snappy closing line, you probably should have considered whether it made any sense before you used it.

39. rippedoffhead says: Oct 13, 2011 9:31 AM

@rajuncajun

Hey smarty pants… last time I checked Harper is a SAFETY (aka a defensive back), know what that means right???

HE IS A F’N COVER GUY!

And remember, Brees is 32… only a handful more years til the “Aaron Brooks” days are back in town…

last time I checked, Cam is like what? 22? and setting rookie records… God I hate people who just can’t refrain from typing because they like to ‘hear themselves talk’.

40. bayoubauer says: Oct 13, 2011 9:32 AM

qdog112 says:
    Oct 13, 2011 7:36 AM

As a Panthers fan, it’s like coach Rivera said – “we must protect this house!”

Instead of protecting the house, try winning a football game there, instead.

Saints 4-1, 1st place in nfc south
    Panthers 1-4, LAST place in nfc south

41. realitypolice says: Oct 13, 2011 9:34 AM

slippyal2 says:
    Oct 13, 2011 8:27 AM
    I bet Harper apologized to Jenkins.
    ========================

LOL- I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed that Smith went after a guy who had nothing to do with the play.

Maybe if Smith hadn’t taken 10 seconds to fully execute his touchdown dance before entering the fray, he would have been able to pick out the right guy to attack.

42. 2sausage11 says: Oct 13, 2011 9:36 AM

——————————————
    Harper ran away because he knew he would get his a$$ beat by Smith. Where was Haper when the fight broke out hiding thats where

43. longdrivesaint says: Oct 13, 2011 9:36 AM

So far their hasn’t been a good explaination as to why he didn’t need it. Karma rears it’s ugly head again on this one.

44. longdrivesaint says: Oct 13, 2011 9:39 AM

The only thing better would’ve been to see his helmet popped off like a wine cork.

45. mdd913 says: Oct 13, 2011 9:40 AM

… you’re only a punk because you aren’t on their team…

—————————————————————-

and for starting locker room brawls with his own teammates, and for demanding to be traded in the offseason, and for the SEVENTEEN unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in his career, including four fights, numerous touchdown celebrations, and one attack on a referee.

46. nfloracle says: Oct 13, 2011 9:44 AM

The Panthers need to put all that fighting energy into winning a ball game. Use it to console that poor young loser Cam Newton who can’t win a game to save his life. Cam’s a lot better at looking sad and morose and telling all the reporters how he hates to lose than he is at winning football games.

47. stadanko says: Oct 13, 2011 10:13 AM

Scoreboard.

48. rippedoffhead says: Oct 13, 2011 10:16 AM

@mdd913

wow 17 in 11 seasons?!?! holy crap! basically everything you just said holds no merit.

Brawls is an overstatement.

Demanding a trade is untrue, last time I checked he is wearing a Panthers uniform and happy to still be doing so… he more or less “requested” to not have to play under Fox anymore…

and an attack on a referee?!?! haha… good one. You mean that game he was ejected for placing his hand on the back of a ref while trying to talk to him? that attack?

Again, only because he isn’t on your team.

49. vtsquirm says: Oct 13, 2011 10:35 AM

just went back and watched the video again. Total cheap shot. Steve Smith is an @ss, but in this scenario he was just running into the endzone. he hadn’t even started dancing yet. Harper is a classless POS. Not a fan of either team, just calling it how i see it.

50. phoivy says: Oct 13, 2011 10:53 AM

Roman Harper is a terrible safety.

51. slammincamnewton says: Oct 13, 2011 11:06 AM

If you think Steve Smith is a “punk”, you know nothing about football.

Guess this makes Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Jon Beason punks too.

52. slammincamnewton says: Oct 13, 2011 11:07 AM

Oh and now Cam haters are perking back up saying he’s emo because he’s losing. Next thing you know you asshats will bust his balls for the way he pisses in a urinal

53. benwantsababyruth says: Oct 13, 2011 11:12 AM

What Harper did was idiotic, cheap, cowardly, etc. But week in and week out for as long as i can remember, Steve smith acts like he has just won the mega millions lottery EVERY time he makes a catch. You’re doing your damn job Steve! It’s no wonder he has a Target on his back

54. wallacejay says: Oct 13, 2011 11:50 AM

Harper better be glad Smith was too busy celebrating or his ass would have been thoroughly beaten.

55. pantherguy344 says: Oct 13, 2011 11:58 AM

Harpers an idiot. Last time I checked that endzone said panthers. There’s no squiggly logo that supposedly means saints anywhere in that endzone. If he did a dance on the squiggly it would be different.

56. slopmcflop says: Oct 13, 2011 12:47 PM

benwantsababyruth says:
    __________________________________

And Steve has an answer for you:

“If I make a catch, I’m excited,” Smith said. “Some people might say, ‘Why does he do that every time? Can’t he just catch the ball and go back to the huddle?’ Honestly, I’m 32 years old, I’m five-foot-nine-and-three-fourths and 192 pounds. I’m not a prototypical wide receiver, so it’s an honor and a privilege, so I enjoy it. I’m excited. … Act like I’ve been there before? I’m not going to do it. I’m going to act like it’s my last play because you never know. I’m going to show enthusiasm. That’s just me. If you don’t like it, listen on the radio so you don’t have to watch it.”

57. nfloracle says: Oct 13, 2011 1:46 PM

@slammincamnewton

1-4 is 1-4, bud.

Slammin, you may spend your time watching guys in urinals, but after a loss Cam spends his time whining about hating to lose.

If you hate to lose, you don’t whine about it to reporters, spending an hour after the game in front of your locker acting sad and calling attention to yourself.

Winners, after a loss, pump up themselves and their teammates and then they go out and win.

58. mdd913 says: Oct 13, 2011 3:53 PM

——————————————————————-

And Steve Smith and the Panthers punch their teammates in the jaw.

59. gadgetdawg says: Oct 13, 2011 5:01 PM

@rajuncajun28

All I can say is that I doubt it will take the Panthers 42 years to finally get a SB win.

60. stellaboycarl says: Oct 13, 2011 10:15 PM

and saints fans are blind. watching the replay Jenkins had it coming he charges steve smith and gets his a$$ handed to him. Later saints fans whine and moan about it ignoring the simple fact that you don’t try to hit a raging bull.

btw Ken Lucas called said that was 2008 get over it