Namath jabs Jets again: “These guys aren’t as smart as they think”

Joe Namath AP

Joe Namath’s campaign of criticism against the Jets doesn’t appear to be ending any time soon.

Namath, who hasn’t missed any opportunities to go after the Jets during their current three-game losing streak, has blasted the team once again.

These guys aren’t as smart as they think they are,” Namath said on ESPN 1050 in New York. “They’re making too many penalties; they’re busting too many assignments. They just haven’t been focused the way you need to focus to win consistently in the league.”

After previously saying coach Rex Ryan has the Jets thinking they’re better than they are, Namath has now added that Ryan is too nice to his players.

“Rex is Mr. Good Guy to these guys. He has been. He’s been talking about how good they are all the time. He’s doing everything to win their favor. He bends over backwards for the guys to be on their side,” Namath said. “It might work in the long run, I don’t know. I just think he’s been too darn nice to this team.”

Namath also said that even when the Jets won in Week One against the Cowboys, it was more a matter of the Cowboys’ mistakes than anything the Jets did.

“We’ve lost three in a row,” Namath said, “and if it wasn’t for Tony Romo it may be a 1-4 record.”

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
59 Responses to “Namath jabs Jets again: “These guys aren’t as smart as they think””
  1. obamasballsack says: Oct 14, 2011 2:07 PM

The Jets are garbage.

2. seneca1ss says: Oct 14, 2011 2:10 PM

Joe: Learn how to say “St-rug-gle-ling” properly first

3. westclaims says: Oct 14, 2011 2:12 PM

All the Jets have to do to shut up Namath is win one. That’s all…..just win one.

4. Deb says: Oct 14, 2011 2:12 PM

I don’t know what Joe is doing. This is the most I’ve heard him talk about the Jets in years. As a Bama fan, I love the guy and always will. And since I’m on the outside, this is all kind of amusing. But if I were a Jet fan, I’d be long past ready for him to shut it. It’s not the place of former players to keep taking digs at the current team and coaches. He’s not in the loop, and he’s not helping.

5. pfii63 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:15 PM

I agree with Deb, but as a Patriots’ fan I just think this is funny as hell.

Keep speaking truth, Joe!

6. mvp43 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:16 PM

He’s right………….

Ryan’s “all talk” approach worked for awhile but now its wearing off. I mean you can talk all you want and make guarantees every year, but in the end that doesn’t win games.

7. johnnyb216 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:18 PM

Boom. Roasted, Tony Romo.

8. shaggytoodle says: Oct 14, 2011 2:18 PM

When Joe Namath is the voice of reason, there is cause for concern.

9. badphish24 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:21 PM

I wish joe would disappear.

10. Jim says: Oct 14, 2011 2:22 PM

I think Broadway Joe is enjoying the attention he’s gotten from bashing his former team and is trying to keep the limelight shining on him.

Not that he’s wrong, but there seems to be a pattern developing here…

11. badphish24 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:23 PM

Hes not as think as he smart he is

12. meeky1985 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:24 PM

why do the jets get so much attention when they have done nothing but fail i’m sick of east coast teams and Bespn love affair with them

13. wikidpissah says: Oct 14, 2011 2:27 PM

I don’t think Joe is as smart as he thinks he is.

14. Nevis says: Oct 14, 2011 2:28 PM

The Jets, just like the Falcons, Bears, Eagles and Giants, are completely overrated.

15. freewayjim says: Oct 14, 2011 2:28 PM

Is Rex Ryan the modern day Jerry Glanville? I like to think Rex has more football expertise but the other similarities are starting to show themselves.

16. tiffpats4eva says: Oct 14, 2011 2:31 PM

Namath: “I couldn’t care less about the team struggling.”

17. cowboyhater says: Oct 14, 2011 2:33 PM

I just hate Rex “Big Mouth” Ryan, so any negative comment suits me fine.

18. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:35 PM

I thought he couldn’t care less about the team “strug-a-leeeeng”?

19. revisisland24 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:37 PM

Joe, your Jet for life, no one can take away what you did for our franchise, but if you love the team as much as you claim to, then please keep the comments to yourself

20. pigskinswag says: Oct 14, 2011 2:44 PM

What a coincidence Joe Willie because you’re not as good as we thought you were. This is a player that is in the Hall of Fame basically because of his “guarantee” in Super Bowl III. If you don’t believe that: 50% career completion percentage, 27,663 yards, 173 touchdowns, 220 interceptions. The lone championship quarterback for your franchise for his career was mediocre at best. I dont know if that says more about the Jets or Joe Willie.

21. wtfpft says: Oct 14, 2011 2:48 PM

“I wanna kiss you” Keep drinkin’ Joe.

22. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Oct 14, 2011 2:49 PM

There is no better schadenfreude in life than to see a braggart like Rex have to eat his words. Keep it up Joe, and I’m with you re Suzie Kolber (and I’m not even drunk.)

23. Tim says: Oct 14, 2011 2:50 PM

Why so bitter, Joe?

24. bucngator says: Oct 14, 2011 2:53 PM

The only reason Joe’s taking so much flack for this, is because of his legacy to the team.

If you want sunshine and lollypops, listen to Rex… If you want the truth, listen to Joe!!

….and on that note, replace “Rex” with “Raheem”, and “Jets” with the “Bucs”, and you have the definition of what’s going on in Tampa!!

25. charlutes says: Oct 14, 2011 2:54 PM

Not sure why he keeps saying this stuff, but he’s 100% right.

26. torturedraiderfan says: Oct 14, 2011 2:55 PM

Joe hasn’t gotten this much attention since he tried to kiss Suzy Kolber. He must be back on the bottle.

27. firedog784 says: Oct 14, 2011 2:57 PM

I just want to kiss you.

28. cliverush says: Oct 14, 2011 3:01 PM

In other news a rather large envelope showed up in a certain ‘Bama graduate’s mail box with a post mark from Foxboro.

29. localbandhero says: Oct 14, 2011 3:02 PM

Ha. I like the blast at Romo at the end. I’m a Dallas fan, so naturally I’m bitter about life. But c’mon Joe, let it go. Count your blessings that you’re in the HOF and stop trying to create a stir.

30. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 14, 2011 3:07 PM

The Jets are the only thing Joe Namath has going for him… why on earth is this guy alienating himself with the organization???

31. cjspiller12 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:09 PM

pigskinswag says:
    Oct 14, 2011 2:44 PM
    _________________________________
    The perfect post……..could not have said it any better…..this overrated QB shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame. How in the world he was named Super Bowl MVP is beyond me, it was the media that was in love with him. He was 17 out of 28 for 206 yards with no TD’s and didn’t even throw the ball in the 4th QTR. Clearly Matt Snell should have been Super Bowl MVP with his 30 carries and 121 yds rushing and 1 TD. Namath is the only QB in Super Bowl history to win MVP without throwing a TD pass. This guy was a fraud.

32. Deb says: Oct 14, 2011 3:09 PM

pigskinswag says:

————————————————
    You’ve got to view players by the impact they had in their time. When Joe played, there was no Fantasy Football, and the world wasn’t obsessed with stats. It wasn’t about how many yards you threw. It was about commanding your team–being Captain Kirk in the clutch. You should read up on Joe’s career and the influence he had on the game and the players.

If you asked me the greatest QBs I ever watched, I’d say Elway, Montana, and Brady. If you asked me the greatest QBs ever, I’d probably say Unitas and Namath because those names have been burned into my memory by the voice of John Facenda.

33. andrewfbrowne says: Oct 14, 2011 3:10 PM

As a Bills fan I find this hilarious.

The sad truth is Joe wagging his finger in the air coming off the field after SB III is all the Jets can point to in their history.

They have made underperforming a science.

As a Bills fan we know our own. Jets are the only team in AFC East that the Bills have a career winning percentage against and that should say it all.

34. stampnhawk says: Oct 14, 2011 3:12 PM

All he’s doing is answering the questions that are lobbed up to him by anyone and everyone who wants to him on their show. And because he’s been given the forum by some many stations looking to get their 10 second blurb, competing stations call him up the next week too.

If the radio stations called on Ken O’Brien, Chad Pennington, or any Jets fan week in and week out, they’d give thier 2 cents just like Joe is.

35. zn0rseman says: Oct 14, 2011 3:20 PM

pigskinswag says:
    Oct 14, 2011 2:44 PM
    ————————-

Yup, and the ONLY reason the Jets were able to win that game was because the best QB in the league at that time, Johnny Unitas, was hurt and couldn’t play. The Colts thought they could beat the Jets (and their poor QB) without him, and once they realized they couldn’t, it was too late.

36. itstariq says: Oct 14, 2011 3:24 PM

I don’t even like the Jets and Namath is getting on my nerves.

37. cjspiller12 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:26 PM

Deb…………I have always agreed with almost all of your posts, but not this one. There are so many QB’s that are not in the Hall of Fame, that were way better than Namath. There were many QB’s better than Namath playing at the same time as he was. The media was in love with this flake. And you mentioning Unitas in the same breath as Namath is an insult. Not even close.

38. phinfan says: Oct 14, 2011 3:43 PM

Remind me to send Joe a Miami Dolphins Jersey.

39. pigskinswag says: Oct 14, 2011 3:43 PM

“You’ve got to view players by the impact they had in their time. When Joe played, there was no Fantasy Football, and the world wasn’t obsessed with stats. ”

@Deb I’m not “obsessed with stats” in the least, but for every position, there are certain stats that are key. If you are a quarterback who is only completing HALF of your passes, that’s important. When you throw more interceptions than touchdowns, that shows a lack of ball security…and that’s important. Namath made a wishful prediction, that became a guaratee because he won. You like guarantees? Here’s a guarantee for you: If the Jets lose Super Bowl III, I guarantee you there’s no way in hell Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame. Other then that game, what the hell did he do that was so special that warrants being enshrined among the all-time greats.

40. bullcharger says: Oct 14, 2011 3:47 PM

Why is he so publicly slamming the Jets? Why are people publishing it? Given how long it has been since he played he doesn’t know any more than a high school football coach about the game. Maybe even less. His opinion is worthless and he’s getting his name in the media every week and causing his former team unnessary grief. As a Patriots fan I guess I should be happy, but it’s pretty sad to me. It’s like listening to Don Shula everytime someone get’s close to undefeated. It’s aweful.

41. ampats says: Oct 14, 2011 3:53 PM

What a lousy week to be a jets fan. Not to mention the big “what if” the jets lose to Miami Monday night.

As a Patriots fan I continue to welcome the insight the franchise icon speaks to the state of the jets Hysterical !!

What if ?? 2-4

42. youdownwithjpp says: Oct 14, 2011 3:56 PM

Nevis says:
    Oct 14, 2011 2:28 PM

——————————————

How are the Giants overrated? They never promised a Superbowl like the Jets or were labeled super bowl contenders like the Falcons and Eagles.

And the Bears..? I don’t think they are overrated at all. In fact I don’t remember anything being said about the Bears in the last month or so. Maybe just something about Roy Williams under performing.

Overrated teams–
    Eagles, Jets, Pit, Skins

43. dan1919 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:57 PM

Want to see the Jets demise? Look at their last 4 drafts. Lack of picks and lack of any good picks is the reason for their downfall.

Old FAs cant get the job done in football.

44. jakek2 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:57 PM

Is there anyone affiliated with the Jets than can simply shut up and play some football?

45. dougydougdoug says: Oct 14, 2011 4:12 PM

He’s just trying to set himself up for a spot on Dancing with the Stars. What’s he going to do next, twitter a photo of his twitter?

46. pigskinswag says: Oct 14, 2011 4:24 PM

bullcharger says:
    Oct 14, 2011 3:47 PM
    Why is he so publicly slamming the Jets?

He’s trying to get another interview with Suzy Kolber

47. tampajoey says: Oct 14, 2011 4:26 PM

Joe Namath is overrated garbage

48. Deb says: Oct 14, 2011 4:40 PM

@cjspiller12 … Thanks for the kind words. Not trying to insult Unitas. Notice I said those names were seared into my brain by Facenda. I’m not old enough to remember them on the field, only to have grown up on their legends.

@pigskinswag … I hear you on those passing stats, but Joe was more than his guarantee. He didn’t guarantee anything at Bama, and he’s a legend there as well. He was the AFL Rookie of the Year, the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards in a season–back when seasons were much shorter than they are now. He was a four-time pro bowler. And he was notorious for finishing games despite serious knee injuries dating back to his college days.

Joe was the first football media star. He’s the guy who made the AFL–and football players in general–cool. Love it or hate it, he’s the guy who inspired everyone who came later, from PrimeTime to Ochocinco.

The guarantee just came in a flash of being ticked off at a reporter–it wasn’t planned. No one even took it serious at the time. But when he did it–that proved the AFL was the equal of the NFL. It forced the sports world to take them seriously. That led directly to the merger and the creation of the league as we know it today. That’s why football historians still refer to SBIII as the most important SB in history. And Joe played a huge role in those events.

That’s why I’m saying you have to look past the stats and see the Big Picture of what he’s meant for the game.

49. dougydougdoug says: Oct 14, 2011 4:54 PM

jakek2 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:57 PM

Well, losing three-straight seems to have shut Rex Ryan pretty good. It’s a nice trend. You’ll be able to hear a pin drop in that locker room once Miami upsets them this week. Wait, is that even technically an upset? What does Vegas have for that one?

50. gimmeabruschi says: Oct 14, 2011 5:16 PM

One you realize that the entire jets organization is dysfunctional, has always been dysfunctional and will always be dysfunctional, you will understand their franchise icon trashing them is just part and parcel of the dysfunction that permeates every aspect of their existence.

51. slickmarine says: Oct 14, 2011 5:21 PM

Are you coneheads even listening, or just running your yaps? You missed Deb’s point entirely. It’s not about Namath’s stats (and it DAMN sure is not about what you think of him); he’s in the HOF because of his achievement at the time. His leadership. He took an ‘AFL team’ into the Super Bowl against THE powerhouse in football. He led his team to victory by leading them to believe they could win. There are no stats for leadership. There is no way to measure his value to that franchise, to that game, and to the game of football with yards/game, completion percentage, or TD/Int ratio. He stood up against improbable (if not impossible) odds and said “Follow me. I’ll take you there.”

And he did.

I’m thinking most of you weren’t even born then. That would explain alot…

52. slickzmoney says: Oct 14, 2011 5:44 PM

@youdownwithjpp You are right except for the Skins. The Skins were picked last by everyone. They have exceeded expectations which by definition means, if anything, they were underrated.

53. cometkazie says: Oct 14, 2011 5:56 PM

I tried to post this earlier, but it didn’t go thru that I can see.

A good friend who played at ‘Bama in the late sixties tells me Namath and company are bad at meddling in the school’s football program. Maybe he thinks he can do it with the Jets, too.

54. lance19 says: Oct 14, 2011 7:35 PM

I’m pretty sure that most of the guys trying to cover the inexcusable Jets by posting anti-Namath numbers, never saw him play.

I HATED Namath when he was with the Jets,
    but I respected his talent. Completion % and all that stuff is meaningless: Look up MOST of the greats of that era and their stats and passer rating are poor–because the rules allowed the defense to cream QBs and receivers. Today the 25th best passer in the NFL can put up better stats than the game’s finest of that era, when the rules weren’t tilted to help the passing game.

In short, Joe’s right…don’t try to hide that by posting stats you don’t understand.

55. Deb says: Oct 14, 2011 10:07 PM

@cometkazie …

There’s meddling and there’s meddling. I’ve got a few contacts at Bama myself, and no matter what went before, trust me … no one meddles with Saban.

56. cometkazie says: Oct 14, 2011 10:46 PM

Deb says:
    Oct 14, 2011 10:07 PM
    @cometkazie …

+=+=+=+=+

That is good to hear.

I’m looking forward to a rocking, socking game, well and hard played.

57. bamasleeper13 says: Oct 14, 2011 11:01 PM

@Deb : long time Bama fan and you are so correct, I know that Namath has come down for years to help out in spring practices and I doubt that he EVER told the “Bear” what to do and like you, no one messes with Saban! What Namath and the Jets did back then was like our local high school beating the Packers.

58. CKL says: Oct 15, 2011 3:20 AM

What’s funny is that IIRC the Jets made Namath a captain hoping he would become more accountable and a leader…just like what I think Ryan did with his captains.

Namath is a part of the media somewhat(think he has a show or timeslot on Sirius)and is voicing his opinions. It’s no different than when Bruschi, Willie Mac or Harrison say negative things about the Pats and question Belichick openly (4th @ & 2 anyone?) . Bruschi said the Pats defense was the worst in the entire league for heaven’s sake(which is true pass yards wise, but not points against wise)and he is one of BB’s favorite players ever. It’s their jobs. If he splashed sunshine all over the Jets 24-7, people would blast him for being a homer instead.

59. monropoobah says: Oct 16, 2011 7:26 AM

EVERYTING looks and sounds ugly when you lose games. but the jets will finish well, get in the playoffs again (same old jets) and shut up the haters for a little while