Nolan Carroll has no hard feelings for Sal Alosi

SalAlosi

When the Dolphins visited the Jets last year, the biggest story coming out of the game was the bizarre incident when Jets strength coach Sal Alosi tripped Dolphins punt gunner Nolan Carroll. As the Dolphins prepare to visit the Jets again this year, Alosi is long gone, and Carroll says he moved past the incident long ago.

“To tell you the truth, it hasn’t even crossed my mind since the incident happened,” Carroll told the Sun-Sentinel. “I put it in the back of my head after the week that it happened. Obviously, there were some bad intentions, but I forgive him at the end of the day, regardless of the situation.”

When asked about Alosi, Carroll takes a diplomatic approach — something he may have inherited from his mother, Florida Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll. Alosi apologized to Carroll shortly after the incident, and Carroll says it’s over and done with.

“He’s humble,” Carroll said. “He sounded humble when he was on the phone. He called me and apologized. He sounded sincere. . . . I just told him, ‘It’s cool, man.'”

After losing his job with the Jets because of the incident, Alosi was out of work for a while before finding a job with the athletic department at Bryant University, a small school in Rhode Island. That’s obviously a big step down for Alosi’s career, but Carroll says he’s glad Alosi is getting a chance to keep working in sports.

“I’m happy for him,” Carroll says. “He got another shot at it, which is good. You start at the bottom and work your way back up. That’s what he’s doing.”

And if Alosi works his way back into the NFL, that will be just fine with Carroll, who ought to be commended for taking the high road after being on the receiving end of one of the NFL’s strangest cheap shots.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Nolan Carroll has no hard feelings for Sal Alosi”
  1. paulbrownsrevenge says: Oct 14, 2011 6:27 PM

The Jets are the Scum of the league. They won’t win the Superbowl with Rex and Sanchez there. Sanchez is mediocre, and Rex is all talk. I hope the Dolphins beat them, and Buffalo takes the second spot in that division.

2. brutus9448 says: Oct 14, 2011 6:28 PM

I feel bad for Alosi. One dumb move and his life completley changed.

3. mikeyveli says: Oct 14, 2011 6:29 PM

don’t worry. you think tannenbum didn’t hand him a 10 million dolla check for taking the heat and keep his mouth shut?? the guy is set for life.

4. eaglesdynasty says: Oct 14, 2011 6:31 PM

wow. Nolan Carroll sounds like a good dude…..would have been easy to harbor resentment for that

5. citizenstrange says: Oct 14, 2011 6:34 PM

Well done Nolan Carroll.

6. j0esixpack says: Oct 14, 2011 6:37 PM

The Jets haven’t won anything since they were caught cheating.

7. ryanlandry1285 says: Oct 14, 2011 6:38 PM

I think Carroll is more worried about keeping a roster spot, hes been getting burned week after week in replacement for Vontae

8. richm2256 says: Oct 14, 2011 6:38 PM

Great attitude by Carroll, wish him the best.

Bryant College (now University), by the way, was the home of the Patriots summer camp for many years, until a couple of years ago.

Wouldn’t surprise me, if you know what I’m saying.

9. jimbobobjr says: Oct 14, 2011 6:40 PM

The world needs more people like him (Carroll, not Alosi)

10. deepseabreeze says: Oct 14, 2011 6:44 PM

its pretty messed up that alosi had to be the fall guy for this. dont tell me the rest of the coaches didnt know about it.

11. zippy33 says: Oct 14, 2011 6:45 PM

Shame it wasn’t Alosis’ fault. You do what you are coached and told to do. I hope he took a nice “paycheck” for not throwing anyone under the bus.

12. prettytonyt says: Oct 14, 2011 6:45 PM

Alosi made a dirtbag move, but i truly feel bad for him.

let’s be honest.. i have some thought in my mind(and im only speculating) he may of been asked to do this.

maybe he was asked maybe he wasnt.

its a scenario where, you make a stupid decision in an instant, and after you did it…you cannot believe how moronic you were.

it’s a shame.

13. pacificamjr says: Oct 14, 2011 7:03 PM

im still shocked this came from the J-E-T-S

14. duncanthecat says: Oct 14, 2011 7:05 PM

Surprised that the Pats haven’t come calling. he does, after all, have the qualities they desire.

15. terrellochouno says: Oct 14, 2011 7:06 PM

Look, Sal Alosi is not the victim here. It’s highly unlikely that he would have been disciplined or fired for not making a cheating, scumbag move like the one he made. The Jets are scum from top to bottom, & Nolan Carroll is being a much bigger man about the whole thing than I would have been.

16. Deb says: Oct 14, 2011 7:08 PM

Kudos to Carroll for his positive attitude. That was one of the most bizarre situations I’ve seen as a lifelong football fan. And while I’d never begrudge Alosi finding another job to support his family, it was appropriate for him to lose his NFL career–and he should never work in the league again.

Contrary to what some are posting, Alosi wasn’t overcome by a sudden impish whim to stick out his leg. That was a calculated and premeditated move which could have seriously injured Carroll. The only reason I feel a tinge of pity for Alosi is because he was scapegoated for people higher up on the Jets food chain.

17. trbowman says: Oct 14, 2011 7:33 PM

I’d be holding a grudge, and rightfully so. That weasel could have seriously hurt him.

18. xsorethumbx says: Oct 14, 2011 7:42 PM

j0esixpack says:
    Oct 14, 2011 6:37 PM
    The Jets haven’t won anything since they were caught cheating.

______________________________

they cheated in 1970 too???

19. cannonballdookie says: Oct 14, 2011 11:29 PM

j0esixpack says: Oct 14, 2011 6:37 PM

The Jets haven’t won anything since they were caught cheating.
    ————————————————

Huh, are you talking about that other team in their division? Because that holds true for them…

20. rajbais says: Oct 15, 2011 12:08 AM

Alosi has to work at Bryant University (?????) now???

Can’t he earn more $$ at L.A. Fitness??

21. CKL says: Oct 15, 2011 2:22 AM

Deb says: Oct 14, 2011 7:08 PM
    _______________________________________
    Oh man, you said “food chain” and I’m going to be nice and NOT make a bad RR joke.

Carroll is a very mature young man and his mother obviously did a good job raising him. Kudos to her as well as to her son. She’s also a knockout if you go look at that link posted in the story.

22. realphinsfan says: Oct 15, 2011 3:58 AM

zippy33 says:
    Oct 14, 2011 6:45 PM

Someone coached him to not only trip Carroll, but to do it in such a way that could’ve broken his femur (which is connected to his hip which he had broken the year before as a senior at Maryland)????? Someone COACHED him to do that? Rex may be a borderline arrogant guy, but I HIGHLY doubt he coached people on the sidelines to resort to garbage like that. Ruining the public image of the Jets is Ryan’s job, not Alosi’s.