Rob Ryan on Wes Welker: “I’m afraid to comment”

Dallas Cowboys v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan learned his lesson about giving bulletin-board material to opposing wide receivers when he opened his mouth about Calvin Johnson. So when asked about Sunday’s game against the Patriots and receiver Wes Welker, Ryan hesitated.

“I’m afraid to comment on wideouts,” Ryan told the Star-Telegram. “Apparently, I don’t know anything.”

Ryan said he still smarting over the reaction to his claim that the Cowboys practice against better receivers than Johnson every day — only to have Johnson score two fourth-quarter touchdowns against his defense and lead the Lions to a come-from-behind victory in Dallas.

“I’m taking a beating for that,” Ryan said. “I’m not going to compare anybody anymore, even though Dez Bryant did catch two TD passes, same as the other guy. But I’ve given that up.”

Ryan said he isn’t going to get into whether the Cowboys practice against better receivers than Welker, he’s just going to say his players have their hands full.

“All I know is this guy is great,” Ryan said of Welker. “He catches every pass. He’s leading the league in yardage, catches. He’s great in the red zone. He’s a great competitor. So I’ll leave it at that. I don’t know where he places anywhere else. I know one thing: He’s damn good, and he gets a million throws from Brady.”

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Rob Ryan on Wes Welker: “I’m afraid to comment””
  1. finsfan71 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:54 PM

I like Rob Ryan, his brother not so much.

2. 2mannings1cup says: Oct 14, 2011 3:54 PM

This will be the week Ocho shows up. All the attention is being paid to Welkah and the TE’s. Ocho:

7-117-1 TD

3. robmix8 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:56 PM

DONT GIVE EM NUFFIN REX

4. stanmackley says: Oct 14, 2011 3:57 PM

Welker played his little heart out and they still lost to THEM BUFFALO BILLS!

5. 808raiderinparadise says: Oct 14, 2011 3:58 PM

can rob and rex ryan just go away forever?

6. paul197343 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:58 PM

Well Done. You should share some of your new found knowledge with your brother.

7. robmix8 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:58 PM

BTW FIRST

8. gyantphan4life says: Oct 14, 2011 3:58 PM

Sorry RR, regardless of your comments or lack of comments, your defense isn’t good enough to stop opposing wideouts in the 4th quarter, nor can they do anything to stop Romo from bonering the game away.

9. cowboyhater says: Oct 14, 2011 3:58 PM

At least on of the Ryan’s are finally getting it. Just keep your trap shut, and play football. That’s alright, because after this weekend he will soon realize how good Welker is.

10. vallz5 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:58 PM

Obviously the smarter of the two Ryan brothers.

11. grilledjesus says: Oct 14, 2011 3:59 PM

Well it looks like one Ryan brother actually learns from his mistake.

12. joshh967 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:00 PM

Stop the presses. A Ryan brother actually shut up for once.

13. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Oct 14, 2011 4:02 PM

Come on, Rob. You know your defense practices against 5 receivers better than Wes. I can just hear Bill’s postgame presser right now. “All I can say after Welker torching the Cowboys for 176 yards and 2 TD’s is thank goodness their 6th best receiver happens to be on my team.”

14. suhnami says: Oct 14, 2011 4:02 PM

“even though Dez Bryant did catch two TD passes, same as the other guy.”

the other guy??? still desrespecting Megatron…the Ryan’s just never seem to learn.

I still wonder how he practices against better?? Isn’t Dez scheduled in court all week long?? hahahaha

15. noreasterforlife says: Oct 14, 2011 4:03 PM

This just tweeted from Ohcho(ke) Sicko, Welker just caught another pass and is still running.

16. texansfan2011 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:05 PM

Damn this is a surprise, a Ryan that can keep his mouth shut, instead of inserting a FOOT in it

17. Ba'al says: Oct 14, 2011 4:05 PM

robmix8 says: Oct 14, 2011 3:56 PM

DONT GIVE EM NUFFIN REX
    _________________________

Seriously, how hard is it to remember that there are 2 of them Rob and Rex, this article is about ROB………………ROB…………………….ROB, i hope this helps, i doubt it but we can always dream.

18. sterilizecromartie says: Oct 14, 2011 4:06 PM

He should have said Welker is a good little foot soldier.

19. wikidpissah says: Oct 14, 2011 4:09 PM

stanmackley says: Oct 14, 2011 3:57 PM

Welker played his little heart out and they still lost to THEM BUFFALO BILLS!

______________________________________________

It’s good to see THEM BILLS doing so well. It reminds me of their glory days when they were the NFL equivalent of the Washington Generals.

20. scudbot says: Oct 14, 2011 4:11 PM

I wonder where he gets those game pierogis.

21. redrocker77 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:14 PM

I pray the Jags hire Rob Ryan after Del Rio gets canned. It would be awesome to see him trying to out-do Rex. That constant motivation is just Jax could really use in a head coach. Oh yeah, and he has a pulse too.

22. essentialsausage says: Oct 14, 2011 4:15 PM

———————————————————–
    Just admit it, Rob. Dez Bryant is not as good as Calvin Johnson.

23. solomon151 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:15 PM

0 0
    ———————————————————————————–
    wow your lame. Will love to see you eat crow come Monday. I have never seen any QB throw the ball from their backside. And that’s where Brady will be. On the ground!!!! See ya Monday

24. richm2256 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:17 PM

Great to see Welker finally getting some well deserved respect, after four years.

25. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Oct 14, 2011 4:25 PM

Whoa… a Ryan that has some control over his big fat mouth. I am stunned.

26. august1969 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:32 PM

Wes Welker needs alot of money. Soon.

27. yevrag3535 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:33 PM

Your a idiot. Shut up and coach.

28. chocolatebaconbutter says: Oct 14, 2011 4:39 PM

The ultimate compliment. When even a Ryan won’t comment on you.

29. alaricsrevenge says: Oct 14, 2011 4:43 PM

Buddy Ryan is flabberghasted

30. robmix8 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:43 PM

@ ba”al
    next time i want any shyt from u i’ll squeeze your head.
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

simple mistake bro dont have a cow or your girl (whichever fits best)

31. klunge says: Oct 14, 2011 4:44 PM

“Apparently, I don’t know anything.”
    ——————————————–

Well Rob, we’ve made a significant breakthrough in this session. Before the long road to recovery can begin, you have to recognize the problem.

32. romoscollarbone says: Oct 14, 2011 4:47 PM

Welker doesn’t throw to himself, it begins and ends w/ Brady. I hope Rob has something dialed up.

33. nineroutsider says: Oct 14, 2011 4:49 PM

He’s knows he can’t walk the walk, so he ain’t gonna talk the talk…

34. justrunit11 says: Oct 14, 2011 4:56 PM

I guess he learned from Megatron burning his Defense. Finally shutting that fat mouth of his.

35. lowleadman says: Oct 14, 2011 5:03 PM

I don’t understand one thing. Normally, no one cares what a d coordinator has to say. People want to hear what the head coach thinks and what the qb thinks. But here is Rob Ryan being quoted daily like his toe jam challenged brother, on a team that happens to have a head coach, Jason Garret…..anyone hear from him lately, as well as the most mouthy owner in the NFL, Jerry Jones. I would think the pecking order should be
    1. Jones
    2. Garrett
    3. Romo

Not
    1. Ryan
    2. Ryan
    3. Ryan

36. oldhamletman says: Oct 14, 2011 5:06 PM

every time I see a Welker item, I think back to how the Phins have been so blind for so long about talent…

37. purplekoolaid1 says: Oct 14, 2011 5:08 PM

NFL coaches talking trash is the equivalent of Fantasy Football owners talking trash. You’re letting your trash talk ride on your players. It’s never a good thing to do because your players can leave egg on your face.

38. cowboyscountry says: Oct 14, 2011 5:25 PM

He’s gonna be a head coach somewhere in the league next year.

39. rayguyreturns says: Oct 14, 2011 5:29 PM

Warned you Dallas fans about the Rob Ryan signing and told you there would not be much “D” in Big “D”.

He’s the King of the Prevent (you from winning) Defense.

We saw it for years.

40. waltdawg says: Oct 14, 2011 5:32 PM

Yeah Robby—Take a page out of your brother’s playbook and learn to shut your mouth…Oh wait….

Pats 38
    Cowgirls 16

41. scudbot says: Oct 14, 2011 5:50 PM

“He’s gonna be a head coach somewhere in the league next year.”

J-E-T-S.

42. huggyfuzzleton says: Oct 14, 2011 6:06 PM

Should I be concerned that all I take away from this conversation is that Rob Ryan’s hair is absolutely fantastic?!?!?

43. bigperm33 says: Oct 14, 2011 6:48 PM

How about this Rob – you are a defensive coordinator – stop giving quotes.

44. howley1 says: Oct 14, 2011 7:06 PM

————————————————-

Ask the 49ers and Redskins about that. Now that they have their top 3 corners healthy at the same time for the first time this season, it should help.

45. howley1 says: Oct 14, 2011 7:43 PM

————————————————-

Well they’re the 4th overall D and #1 by far against the run, so…

46. eaglesdynasty says: Oct 14, 2011 8:15 PM

people should stop calling out the leagues best WR…….he already made Cris Carter look like the complete moron he is when Carter said CJ wasnt a top 10 WR (Desean is better…..lmao). Now Rob Ryan calls him out and CJ sparks a huge comeback victory and was clearly the best WR on the field that day.

start calling out Burleson or Young because CJ is going to make you look dumb.

47. CKL says: Oct 15, 2011 3:04 AM

Rob wouldn’t ever talk crap about the Pats I wouldn’t guess. He has a DC job because of BB. He loves BB. BOTH Ryans have a ton of respect for BB. Rex has never said a single bad word about BB either that I know of.

That was a hilarious comment from the person who suggested he call Welker a good little foot soldier though. I would have loved that. I bet WW would have laughed also.