Shanahan won’t talk about starting quarterback yet

Grossman watches his team from the sideline after being benched during their NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles in Landover, Maryland Reuters

Rex Grossman got the hook in Sunday’s ugly four interception game against Philadelphia, but he has’t officially lost his starting job. Yet.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said he would make a decision on his starting quarterback on Wednesday.

“I would never announce that right after a game. I will announce it later in the week,” Shanahan said.

Rex Grossman was asked if he was worried about losing his starting job.

“I’m worried about getting better,” Grossman said.

The question is whether he’ll get the chance.  After such an ugly game, we’d guess the answer is no.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
36 Responses to “Shanahan won’t talk about starting quarterback yet”
  1. scudbot says: Oct 16, 2011 6:46 PM

“Shanahan won’t talk about starting quarterback yet” because he doesn’t have one.

2. fruityromo says: Oct 16, 2011 6:52 PM

Go with Tebow, Shanahan

3. parenthesis78 says: Oct 16, 2011 6:54 PM

My skins are back to or nomalcy … We suck … Only game we’ll win from here on out is against miami …mark my words .. We can only hope somebody will trade for the first pick .. To get Luck …
    Im about ready to call it quits on the skins after 24 years … This is too much to take ..

4. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 16, 2011 6:58 PM

Shanny should dismiss it out of hand and immediately name Rex the starter. To ignite a controversy at this point is dumb, when neither one is your franchise QB of the future….if Beck was good enough, you’d know it by now. If he couldn’t beat out Grossman in camp, don’t change to him now. Period.

5. ninjapleazee says: Oct 16, 2011 7:00 PM

“I’m at the prime of my career” Rex Grossman… bahahahahahahahahaha…

6. skins23 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:00 PM

Up to this point, Rex hasn’t been great, but he hasn’t killed us.

Today, he killed us. Single handedly.

Every one of the picks was on him.

Beck should start, especially now that Trent and Lichy are hurt. We need a mobile QB.

7. deddmunnie says: Oct 16, 2011 7:01 PM

I kinda wish Jimme Graham would have run into Kyle Shanahan today instead of Sean Payton, but THis is exactly what the Shanahans wanted. Rex to hang himself so they could give a little time to Beck to prepare and run with him for the rest of the season. The Redskins need a lot more pieces to the puzzle than just QB so if Beck can be Trent Dilfer for 11 games its a win.

8. redskinspike says: Oct 16, 2011 7:04 PM

parenthesis78 says:
    Oct 16, 2011 6:54 PM
    Im about ready to call it quits on the skins after 24 years … This is too much to take .,

_____

Hey buddy, the Redskins are still 3-2. Fair weather fans make me sick. Call it quits if you don’t like it then.

9. nooneyouknow says: Oct 16, 2011 7:05 PM

parenthesis78 says:Oct 16, 2011 6:54 PM

—————————-

Wow, overreact much?

10. meangreen2 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:08 PM

parenthesis78 says:Oct 16, 2011 6:54 PM

…………………………………………………………………….

Man, someone may want to put this guy on suicide watch! Hail Turds

11. footballfanman says: Oct 16, 2011 7:09 PM

We can definitely win next week. I say let Beck get out there. At least he has scramble ability.

12. lilrob10201 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:11 PM

They should sign Betty White to play their QB.

13. meegs34 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:14 PM

I’m shocked Rex Grossman got pulled in a game.

Shocked!

14. chowincowan says: Oct 16, 2011 7:24 PM

Who is Mike Shanahan without John Elway? Seriously. Playing games with Grossman and Hightower. One bad game and he’s starting backups. Pretty much just a subpar coach in my opinion.

15. footballfanman says: Oct 16, 2011 7:32 PM

hightower didn’t play today. The run game was atrocious though. I don’t know what to do, but I stick by the coaching staff’s decisions.

16. axespray says: Oct 16, 2011 7:34 PM

I wonder if redskin fans were doing their “HAIL!” whenever Rex got picked.

17. jmsincla says: Oct 16, 2011 7:42 PM

I’m not counting the Redskins out for the year. With Beck they have a slight chance. With Rex, well, we saw what Rex is capable of today. The defense carried the day earlier in the season.

18. gooch2011 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:42 PM

Does he really have a choice other than Rex?

19. deadmanwalking47 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:44 PM

if he starts grossman over beck any more this season for any reason other than injury,he should get canned!
    he knew that qb was the weakest position on the team but decided to go with 2 bad qbs and he staked his reputation on it!

20. lilrob10201 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:45 PM

Why does Shanahan pull QBs out the game so much? I mean damn a QB is not a MLB pitcher.

21. dirtydrynn27 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:53 PM

Bottom Line,Rex should`ve been pulled a long long time ago!……INT after INT will not get it done.If you are a Skins fan and you still want Grossman behind center,Then you have completely lost your MF mind!!!!….Dont care if Beck dont have the experience,He cant be as bad as Rex…..I never want to see Rex behind center in Washington ever again,Not even his kids!!!!

22. UnderEuropa says: Oct 16, 2011 7:55 PM

I think when beck came in there was some more energy and a little bit of a spark, at least more so than with Rex. It’s unacceptable to throw 4 picks in a game when your defense is playing great and starting to build momentum. Rex doesn’t have an arm at all, Beck can move and throw it deep. Give him a try I can’t imagine the offense getting worse than it is already.

To the guy who said it’s over, it’s never over when you have a defense like the Redskins do this year.

23. thebigkahuna23 says: Oct 16, 2011 7:56 PM

Beck should start. I admittedly wanted Rex to start before the season began but he’s the same turnover prone quarterback he’s always been. John Beck gives us a mobile guy who can esacpe when pressured and not just throw it deeeeeeeeeeep. Besides the first few dust off throws beck looked really good.

24. steeltown56 says: Oct 16, 2011 8:00 PM

If those 2 QB’s were my only choice, I would not talk about it either.

25. selldannysell says: Oct 16, 2011 8:12 PM

My question is why didn’t the Skins run the ball more against the 30th-ranked ground defense.

26. orakpophobia says: Oct 16, 2011 8:15 PM

not commenting on it because..well…he doesn’t have to. If you seriously think grossman gets back in, well…idk what to tell you.

27. parkerfly says: Oct 16, 2011 8:19 PM

I wondered when we would see the vintage Rex again. Looks like he’s back to his old self.

28. turgidsen says: Oct 16, 2011 8:34 PM

selldannysell says:
    Oct 16, 2011 8:12 PM

===========================================

I was thinking the same thing.

The problem is not only Rex Grossman but Kyle Shanahan trying to prove he deserves to be an OC . But Kyle doesn’t know how to pay call. He almost cost the skins the game against the rams because of his need to pass the ball.And he did cost the game not depending on the run this time .I guess Kyle doesn’t understand how when you run the ball you tire the defense. He started the game passing and never stopped. I think the skins are better than what they showed but the coach (Kyle in this case ) needs to have a better game plan from week to week.

29. nfceastisbeast says: Oct 16, 2011 8:40 PM

Wait, what did I miss? Grossman threw 4 picks? Is that what I’m hearing? But the Skins still won, right? I mean, all I read all week was how the Skins were gonna put up 60 this week against the horrendous Eagles defense. You know, as payback for last years prime time embarassment. I must have watched the wrong game because the game I watched, the Eagles had like 262 total yards to the Skins 32 at one point. Hail !…. to the Eagles!

30. ocho says: Oct 16, 2011 8:50 PM

Grossman should not be allowed back onto a professional football field unless its to pass out water or high fives. Just think what the Skins would look like if he could get through a game without at least 2 turnovers(which he cant do btw)…

That being said Im all for Beck a this point. The defense can/will carry this team, the offense just has to stop turning it over (by offense I mean Grossman who has accounted for all of the Skins turnovers in 2011)

31. shalakka says: Oct 16, 2011 8:56 PM

train-rex is a turnover machine. thankfully beck should get his chance.
    kyle too, can this guy call a game. NO ball control, philly had the ball the whole time.
    it was nice not seeing beck throw into coverage.
    it has been painful watching rex. thank-god this happened early enough in the season, I just hope this does truely spark the team?

32. occamssabre says: Oct 16, 2011 9:24 PM

Its not too late Redskin fans, you can start rooting for the team 30 miles up I-95. Its time to jump on the ‘ole Ravens’ bandwagon!

We’ll make room for you and you can actually root for a winner. Sound good?

33. eagleboy10 says: Oct 17, 2011 12:29 AM

Making a trade for Kyle Orton or Carson Palmer will put them in the playoff hunt for sure.

34. dawkphan says: Oct 17, 2011 7:33 AM

Hey Rex, The EAGLES said HAIL NO !

35. musicman495 says: Oct 17, 2011 7:36 AM

eagleboy10 says: Oct 17, 2011 12:29 AM

———————————————
    Big talk for a 2 win team.

36. eaglesw00t says: Oct 17, 2011 7:53 AM

HTTR!!! Right?

Oh wait…you mean we dont have to hear from all of these loudmouth, obnoxious Redskins fans today?

Sweet. About time they simmered down.