Schwartz, Harbaugh had awkward exchange in March

San Francisco 49ers v Detroit Lions Getty Images

As we wait for the NFL to dispense discipline (or not) for Sunday’s pushy-shovy scuffle between 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and Lions coach Jim Schwartz, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle points to an article from earlier this year regarding some dinner discussion between the two men, as told to the Philadelphia Inquirer by Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

“We were having dinner the other night and Jim Schwartz told [Jim Harbaugh] basically there’s no way you’re going to be able to get it done [if the lockout lasts into the summer],” John Harbaugh said. “[Schwartz] told him there’s no way you’re going to be able to accomplish what you need to accomplish in two weeks if this thing lasts a while.  Jim [Harbaugh] just kind of bit his tongue, which is what you’ve got to do in this situation. Because there’s nothing you can do about it.”

Actually, there is something you can do about it.  You can use it as extra motivation, and then when you beat the guy who said “there’s no way you’re going to be able to get it done,” you can get really fired up and give him an aggressive handshake, along with a shove in the back.

More importantly, Jim Harbaugh told reporters in March that, if the lockout greatly reduces his preparation time for his first NFL season, “I’ll find a way.”

And he sure as hell has.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
46 Responses to “Schwartz, Harbaugh had awkward exchange in March”
  1. ninernation49 says: Oct 17, 2011 4:51 PM

Love it! Bring on the Browns!

2. joecool16280 says: Oct 17, 2011 4:51 PM

This Thanksgiving I’m thankful for Jim Harbaugh.

3. nedhigginssports says: Oct 17, 2011 4:52 PM

I have no dog in the fight, but schwartz comes off as your classic obnoxious in victory, obnoxious in defeat. He certainly doesn’t shy away from demonstrative celebrations when the Lions win, take it like a man when you lose.

4. pacificamjr says: Oct 17, 2011 4:53 PM

cant wait for a rematch!

-Lions Nation

5. souldogdave says: Oct 17, 2011 4:53 PM

Guess it was personal.

6. trollhammer20 says: Oct 17, 2011 4:54 PM

Actually, Harbaugh went to a fairly favorable situation. He didn’t have to rebuild a team from the ground up, as Carroll has done in Seattle. The Niners had quite a bit of talent (Gore, Davis, young offensive line, Willis, etc.), but lacked a head coach who could do anything with that talent.

The real question is, is Harbaugh this good, or were Nolan and Singletary that horrible? Probably a little of both.

7. briank1ne says: Oct 17, 2011 4:56 PM

8. cobrala2 says: Oct 17, 2011 4:57 PM

At first I thought Harbaugh was being a punk, but I reminded today that Schwartz was gloating after Harbaugh’s challenge flag gaffe. The more I learn of this the more I’m cool with Harbaugh’s attitude: Schwartz had it coming to him.

With that said. So what? Whatever. On to the next week.

9. citynative says: Oct 17, 2011 4:59 PM

Jim Schwartz :
    1) Tell Harbaugh in March that he will lose in his first year
    2) Calls the Niners scared of the crowd noise in the pre-game interview with Siragusa
    3) Mocks and yells at the Niner sideline during the challenge

All this and he is mad when Harbaugh punks him? Wah.

10. goldrush36 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:05 PM

Harbaugh is abrasive but he’s winning against all odds and conventional history for rookie coaches in the NFL. Further increased by the lockout. Schwartz on the other hand has rubbed victory in coaches’ faces then turned hypocrite when the shoe hit the other foot. He’s a whiny D-bag, and everybody that thinks that slap on the back was a hard shove should take up table tennis as a sport

11. freewayjim says: Oct 17, 2011 5:07 PM

Both Jims seem a bit odd to me from a personality standpoint but they can both definitely coach some serious football!

12. mondzy805 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:09 PM

In Jim We Trust. 49er Faithful Stand Up.

13. realfootballfan says: Oct 17, 2011 5:10 PM

Schwartz has a condescending personality, always has.

i remember when he was the Titans DC, and I’d see him in brief snippets with the local Nashville media when I lived there that he had the “smartest guy in the room” thing going on.

I think he’s the guy who thinks that there’s a way to apply the Money ball approach of baseball to football.

He’s just always come off as an oddball to me.

14. ajknox88 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:13 PM

49ers are good, and that was a good game. i just wish this didn’t happen at the end.

15. lionsfanatic84 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:15 PM

Harbaugh pushed him out of his way when Schwartz went to shake his hand, yeah Schwartz is kinda obnoxious at times, but he was just trying to shake his hand and admit defeat, if i were Schwartz, I would have laid him out

16. nineroutsider says: Oct 17, 2011 5:20 PM

Schwartz looked like an angry chihuahua nipping at Harbaugh’s heels yesterday, but I guess he’s been doing it since March. Glad Jim kicked him off his leg, rather politely actually.

Schwartz is just hating…it took him 3 years to build up to that game, which Harbaugh stole from him…after being on the job for about what…11 weeks now (from the start of training camp)?

17. nineroutsider says: Oct 17, 2011 5:23 PM

lionsfanatic84 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:15 PM

———————————————————
    He couldn’t though, physically he can’t. He needs a step stool. Harbaugh wasn’t the best player, but he was known as a tough SOB. The Niners are tough like their coach, not a finesse team that is all pomp and no substance…

18. themightywhitey says: Oct 17, 2011 5:24 PM

is it true that Harbaugh said when he shook his hand “may the Schwartz be with you “….?

19. 49hardballs says: Oct 17, 2011 5:28 PM

Lions vs 49ers NFC Championship?
    I think Lions fans agree this was a slugfest. It was a game where both teams had to dig deep. Just seemed like Stafford gave up a bit at the end

20. lionsfanatic84 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:29 PM

Nineroutsider:
    Right, that’s why he ran away and hid behind his team

21. nevermore52 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:30 PM

Niners/Ravens on Thanksgiving is looking reeeaaalllyyy good right now. If San Fran pulls that one off, then they’ll have more hype surrounding them than Detroit has had this year. I don’t see that happening, though. :-)

22. cereal blogger says: Oct 17, 2011 5:34 PM

Lame,,,that was no push in the back. Schwartz should probably be fined for his tantrum, that was ridiculous

23. 1stngoal says: Oct 17, 2011 5:37 PM

Keep in mind that Jim Schwartz came from Jeff Fisher’s staff in Tennessee. Fisher had a reputation for being a bit of a jerk and his teams had a reputation for playing dirty… I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the coaching tree…

24. mrplow3 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:37 PM

I sense Napoleon complex in Schwartz.

Seems like an angry little man.

25. mrplow3 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:38 PM

“Next time harbaugh should put one of those prank buzzers in his hand for shwartz.lol”

LOL

This would make my decade if he actually did this.

26. cowboysfaninbuffalove says: Oct 17, 2011 5:39 PM

Why are people blaming schwartz here? He’s the one who got shoved and didn’t start it…it was harbaugh…if I was in schwartz’ spot I would’ve yelled back too..am I missing something?

27. r8rsfan says: Oct 17, 2011 5:50 PM

End result is both guys come across as immature and it looks like “their first rodeo”. I’ll take Hue’s approach – classy, dignified and respectful.

Roller with Boller.

28. nineroutsider says: Oct 17, 2011 6:04 PM

lionsfanatic84 says: Oct 17, 2011 5:29 PM

Nineroutsider:
    Right, that’s why he ran away and hid behind his team
    —————————————————-
    Sounds like he will just have to get some in January if he can. He needs to worry about rebounding from this game first.

So long Detroit…hope you enjoyed your sports weekend!

29. ronin36 says: Oct 17, 2011 6:05 PM

What strikes me as amazing was how fast both teams were running to get off the field.

If I remember right. “It’s a Dome. The climate is controlled.” It wasn’t cold, wasn’t raining or snowing. But both teams were running like scalded poultry for the exits.

Normally after the game, there’s on field interviews, players from each team talking, etcetera.

Yet these two teams these two teams were so anxious to get off the field.

Neither coach/team is innocent here. Neither was demonstrating good sportsmanship. The only thing worse than a sore looser is an ungracious winner. Both teams exhibited the worst of each.

30. waxedagain says: Oct 17, 2011 6:06 PM

Didn’t the 9ers arguably commit an uncalled PI ( opinion of the announcers) on that 4th down play when the Lions only needed a FG to tie? The receiver definitely got smacked early before the ball got there. They turned it over on downs, and the 9ers got an easy FG to extend the lead to 6. I don’t know why ppl are annointing the 9ers as the second coming when the game could have easily gone either way.

31. phelbin says: Oct 17, 2011 6:16 PM

After a decade of losing, I’m just happy to finally have a great 49ers team again! I wouldn’t have cared if Harbaugh had given him a wedgie. Come to think of it, I really would have liked that.

32. sws222 says: Oct 17, 2011 6:30 PM

Second attempt to post removing dig at MF so it won’t be pulled.
    Nice game and win, Niners. You played a good game and won fair and square.
    I thought Harbaugh was the coach with the history with other coaches, not Schwartz.
    Both teams are 5-1 now. Let’s see how the season ends.

33. wcman says: Oct 17, 2011 6:35 PM

cowboysfaninbuffalove says:
    Oct 17, 2011 5:39 PM
    ————————————————–

Yeah you’re missing the fact that isn’t what happened. Harbaugh shook his hand and gave him a smack on the back like he would his own Coach or player and Schwartz over reacted, said something to Harbaugh, Harbaugh said something back (the expletive I’m guessing) and Schwartz lost his mind and chased after him. A really bad sport response from Schwartz and also pretty stupid as he couldn’t hang with Harbaugh in a fight on his best day. This was nothing more than one HC being ticked off that he lost and losing his temper.

34. drbob117 says: Oct 17, 2011 6:42 PM

The more I’m hearing the more it sounds like Schwartz is the bigger tool. Between weighing in on the Niners situation at the dinner( something he obviously knew nothing about) and that “learn the rules” crap he pulled when Harbaugh mistakenly challenged the TD , it sounds like he can dish it out but not take it.

35. pbolyard says: Oct 17, 2011 6:45 PM

Anyone anointing either the Niners or the Lions as great teams already is pissing me off. I’m a diehard Detroit fan but neither us or the Niners have done anything in the past 10 years(longer for us). So until both teams start making the playoffs consistantly and always playing above .500 ball then they are both just good teams. The great teams are obvious because they are always there and always competing- Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and maybe the Ravens cause at least there in the playoffs most of the time.

36. rubiconmlive says: Oct 17, 2011 6:55 PM

It wasn’t a pat on the back like your own coach or player. That’s a B.S. mischaracterization. He shoved him. Do your little fairy dance, or whatever, but when you get physical you’ve crossed the line. If I were Schwartz, I would have kicked his arse.

Completely uncalled for to shove another coach just because he embarrassed you when you don’t know the rules.

37. discosucs2005 says: Oct 17, 2011 7:00 PM

Everyone is playing it pretty fast and loose with the word “shove.” By that standard, I’ve shoved my good friend after every single basketball game we’ve ever played. And every opponent at the end of every game I’ve played in. And most people I see on a regular basis.

38. woodsidegil says: Oct 17, 2011 7:22 PM

I watched the replay again in slow motion and what you don’t see is that Harbaugh had to bend at the knees in order to reach down and shake Schwartz’s hand. That’s what really set the little guy off. It was funny watching him chase after Harbaugh and screaming “let me at him” with about 30 guys separating the two.

39. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 17, 2011 7:34 PM

Schwartz should’ve just walked off and it wouldn’t have been a big deal.

40. rubiconmlive says: Oct 17, 2011 7:56 PM

Schwartz extended his hand in good faith. All Harbaugh had to do was politely shake it back. Instead he smacked Schwartz on the back and shoved him. Yes, it was a shove. A shove, by definition, is a pushing motion after contact was already made. It wasn’t playful. It was aggressive.

41. rarson says: Oct 17, 2011 8:04 PM

“Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and maybe the Ravens cause at least there in the playoffs most of the time.”

42. johnnyshore says: Oct 17, 2011 8:42 PM

@rarson
    “Uh, the Ravens are the only team to win a playoff game in each of the last three years.”

Uh, they also choked each of the last 3 years. You can’t possibly argue that the Ravens have been better than the Steelers and Packers (who each have Super Bowl wins over the last couple of years), and the Patriots.

43. 1historian says: Oct 17, 2011 9:57 PM

Somewhere there is (there has to be) film of when Harbaugh was playing QB for the Bears (late 80s early 90s) and it was early in the season and they were playing Minnesota and leading them in Minnesota and Harbaugh threw a pick six and it turned the game and eventually the Bears’ season around and Mike Ditka went absolutely ballistic.

Good stuff

44. alphabeta49er says: Oct 18, 2011 1:00 AM

What Schwartz didn’t realize is that Harbaugh inherited a team full of talent but badly mismanaged by a staff probably not qualified to coach De La Salle HS. Which is better… (a) coach gets physical with rival coach after tough road win or (b) coach drops his pants in front of team after embarrassing home loss. I’ll take Harbaugh!

45. stew48 says: Oct 18, 2011 9:06 AM

49er Harbaugh—-just another whiny, cry baby coach. Maybe you didn’t watch the first half; I did

46. 49erlifer says: Oct 19, 2011 2:21 PM

And to think sports illustrated predicted the 49ers to finish 5 and 11 and last in the division