It’s trade deadline day, please try to stay awake

snore_wideweb__470x326,0 Getty Images

During Monday Night Countdown on ESPN, Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter threw the show to a break with a tease that Schefty would be downloading all of the stuff he has compiled throughout the day about possible trades that could go down before Tuesday’s deadline of 4:00 p.m. ET.  And then, over the balance of the show, nothing was said about any other trades that could happen.

And that’s the most accurate thing they could have said.  Nothing is happening.  With Broncos receiver Brandon Lloyd traded to the Rams, Eddie Royal presumably is off the block (unless the Broncos are in full-blown “Suck for Luck” mode).  Though Cowboys running back Tashard Choice was indeed available (owner Jerry Jones confirmed that to NBC’s Alex Flanagan on Sunday), news of Felix Jones‘ high ankle sprain likely has prompted the Cowpokes to choose to keep Choice.

Barring a Road-to-Damascus epiphany by Bengals owner Mike Brown, Carson Palmer will remain the property of the Bengals.  And it’s highly unlikely that the Raiders would respond favorably to the Broncos’ reported willingness to send Kyle Orton to Oakland.

Sure, a deal or two could happen today.  But the movement of any big-name players would be a major surprise.

Still, feel free to hit the F5 button all day, just in case something goes down.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “It’s trade deadline day, please try to stay awake”
  1. philvil41 says: Oct 18, 2011 8:28 AM

The deadline needs to be pushed back to the 1st week of November at the very least.

2. scudbot says: Oct 18, 2011 8:32 AM

Vikings drop Berrian off at a Walmart parking lot and change their phone number.

3. kevin3142 says: Oct 18, 2011 8:34 AM

Wonder what Mike Brown is being offered by the Raiders?

No doubt he will pass, so that he can take something less next year. Just like he did with Ochostinko.

No wonder Bungles are breaking lowest attendance records this year.

4. terripet says: Oct 18, 2011 8:39 AM

the colts should trade wayne to san diego and mathis to the jets for draft pics both guys are in the last year of there contracts

5. liltifer says: Oct 18, 2011 8:41 AM

As a Dolphin fan, I’m hoping that another Brandon is moved today.

Nice job of tip-toeing, untouched, out of bounds on a sure TD. What’s that? 3, or is it 4 lost TD’s this season, Brandon?

Pathetic…

ChipDouglasVoice -On

What doesn’t kill us only makes us stronger, right?

ChipDouglasVoice – Off

6. woodg8 says: Oct 18, 2011 8:41 AM

Dolphins are going to trade Orton to the Browns for Colt McCoy and a 5th

you heard it here first

7. phillyrick22 says: Oct 18, 2011 8:45 AM

I would send M.I.A. steve smith formerlly of the giants to anybody for a ham sandwich! I still dont understand why in the hell the birds signed this dude… He has done absolutely nothing for us!

8. maddenisfordorks says: Oct 18, 2011 8:46 AM

I hope the Jags can trade Del Rio for a lump of coal.

9. 8drinkminimum says: Oct 18, 2011 8:48 AM

We’ll trade Brandon Marshall to anyone. Hell we’ll even take an 8th round pick.

10. chuckyd317 says: Oct 18, 2011 8:53 AM

I kinda hope Green Bay will pull the trigger on another Pass Rusher… but I wont hold my breathe…

11. madtolive5 says: Oct 18, 2011 9:00 AM

IT IS FOOTBALL YOU CAN’T MAKE REAL TRADES IN WEEK 6.

12. scudbot says: Oct 18, 2011 9:01 AM

Eagles trade VY to Miami for Matt Moore.

13. jacksaysfu says: Oct 18, 2011 9:02 AM

The Eagles need to do something at LB (Fokou should not be starting) They should trade Steve Smith , Asante Samuel & their (not ariz)

14. savocabol1 says: Oct 18, 2011 9:10 AM

woodg8 says:
    Oct 18, 2011 8:41 AM
    Dolphins are going to trade Orton to the Browns for Colt McCoy and a 5th

you heard it here first

___________________________________

I want to personally thank you for ruining my computer monitor. I spit all of my coffee all over it in laughter once I read your comment. Thanks a lot jerk.

There are so many things wrong with your comment I don’t even know where to begin….

15. viperden says: Oct 18, 2011 9:18 AM

The Minnesota Vikings would like to trade their franchise to the City of Los Angeles for the big donut outside of Randy’s Donuts!

16. nflsucker says: Oct 18, 2011 9:27 AM

woodg8 says:
    Oct 18, 2011 8:41 AM
    Dolphins are going to trade Orton to the Browns for Colt McCoy and a 5th

you heard it here first

———–

I would surely hope that I won’t only hear that here first, but will never hear such an unwashed football comment like that anywhere ever again.

17. drshakedown74 says: Oct 18, 2011 9:28 AM

This piece was as good as Brandon Marshalls hands.

18. silvernblackpa says: Oct 18, 2011 9:30 AM

Want to thank Mike Brown’s ego for sinking my team’s season. Get to go with Kyle Boller now. Really? *kicks sand and pouts*

19. ndgarretjax says: Oct 18, 2011 9:30 AM

Cowpokes? LOL

20. We'reFineThere says: Oct 18, 2011 9:34 AM

Granted, the Colt McCoy trade idea was dumb… but I’m starting to think the computer industry is staying in business because of the mass amount of people spitting coffee when reading an article’s comments section

21. huejackson says: Oct 18, 2011 9:39 AM

in any raider trade both sides can not talk to the following
    Adam Schefter
    Mike Lombardi
    Chis Motrensen
    If any story gets leaked to one of these guys raiders will back out of ant further discussions.

That is real people so whatever those liars tell you they have no idea what the raiders are doing

22. sdelmonte says: Oct 18, 2011 9:42 AM

I never knew F5 would reload. I’ve learned something today. Thanks.

23. Patskrieg dot com says: Oct 18, 2011 9:47 AM

This seems like a reasonable assessment of the situation.

That being said we now turn to our respective local print media and radio personalities for 6 hours of fevered name dropping and speculation. Go!

24. 6ball says: Oct 18, 2011 9:48 AM

“road to Damascus epiphany ”

excellent journalism

25. Grulks says: Oct 18, 2011 9:58 AM

“prompted the Cowpokes to choose to keep Choice.”

Nice. I don’t get bothered by fans calling Dallas that, it’s kind of funny. But when I see “impartial” media members use nicknames, it just serves to remind me that they aren’t professional, impartial, or to be taken seriously.

Which is quite at odds with your “holier than thou” attitude that pops up from time to time, ala Mike Wise’s twitter fiasco last year.

All that being said, I’m hoping the cowpokes trade felicia jones next year, and keep choice.

26. marvsleezy says: Oct 18, 2011 10:19 AM

I really think the Raiders will give the Bengals a First Round Pick in 2012 for Carson Palmer – I think it will happen.

27. howley1 says: Oct 18, 2011 10:38 AM