NFL, Ashton Kutcher dominate TV ratings

A Decade Of Difference: A Concert Celebrating 10 Years Of The William J. Clinton Foundation Executive Produced By Control Room Getty Images

The NFL distributed a press release Wednesday boasting about its continued dominance over the American television landscape, noting that NFL games rank as 13 of the 15 most-watched shows of the fall television season.

The highest-rated game of the season so far? Sunday’s Cowboys-Patriots matchup, which got 28.4 million viewers. That makes it the second-most watched television show of the fall season, topped only by the 28.7 million viewers for the season premiere of Two and a Half Men. Apparently the only person who can out-draw Tom Brady and Tony Romo is Ashton Kutcher.

(I confess that I’m one of the 28.7 million who tuned in for the Two and a Half Men season premiere, curious to see how they’d handle the departure of Charlie Sheen. I turned it off after 10 minutes, and those were the first and last 10 minutes of Two and a Half Men I’ve watched. What people find funny about that show I can only imagine.)

Overall, the top 15 television shows of the fall season include five appearances by the Cowboys, four with the Packers, three with the Patriots, two with the Jets, two with the Falcons, two with the Bears and two with the Saints.

And the one other show in the Top 15 that wasn’t an NFL game? That was this season’s second episode of Two and a Half Men.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “NFL, Ashton Kutcher dominate TV ratings”
  1. The Commish says: Oct 19, 2011 3:01 PM

Two and a Half Men is unwatchable without Charlie Sheen.

(Why couldn’t it have been *ALAN* who died instead? Why, God? Whyyy?)

2. chocolatebaconbutter says: Oct 19, 2011 3:03 PM

Two and a Half Men is terrible. I don’t get why people like it. Every 30 seconds “MEEEEEEEEEEENNNN!!”

Stupid.

Oh yeah, and congrats NFL.

3. jtbaudendistel says: Oct 19, 2011 3:07 PM

Two and a half men.
    Set up, punch line, laugh track… Set up, punch line, laugh track… Set up, punch line, laugh track… Set up, punch line, laugh track…
    I’d rather be on PFT.com, or at the gym, or eating, or watching Seinfeld.

4. fringetastic says: Oct 19, 2011 3:09 PM

I’m not saying the show is great, but if you have never watched it, how can you judge whether it is or isn’t funny?

5. mjbulls45 says: Oct 19, 2011 3:10 PM

loved kutch in butterfly effect

hated marrying demi, i’m a bruce guy , john mclane , nakatomi plaza type stuff

dont blame kutch, demi is a dime , disclosure

charlie better tho

love charlie is the brother of gordon bombay.

NFL better all the way tho, best reality television on earth

6. earthtopft says: Oct 19, 2011 3:12 PM

Tom Brady wannabe.

7. scomibord says: Oct 19, 2011 3:14 PM

We can say the same about this sites attempts at humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. badphish24 says: Oct 19, 2011 3:17 PM

Step out of the closet smith…its fine.

9. ronlm says: Oct 19, 2011 3:18 PM

Two and a Half Men used to be very good. Writing and casting meshed well.

The new version is some of the worst TV I have ever seen. Just bad…

10. broncfanor says: Oct 19, 2011 3:21 PM

It’s not the same without Sheen.

Kutcher just doesn’t deliver like Sheen did.

11. blackandtealforeal says: Oct 19, 2011 3:21 PM

If you can’t say anything nice about someone, don’t say anything at all. I cannot say anything nice about this guy.

12. The Phantom Stranger says: Oct 19, 2011 3:25 PM

fringetastic says:
    Oct 19, 2011 3:09 PM
    ___________

I’ve never seen a second of it other than the promos that run during NFL games. Thanks, whatever network the show is on, for forcing me to have the remote in my hands at all times so my kids don’t see any of that garbage. It isn’t funny because it’s nothing but an endless string of bathroom and sex jokes. It’s high ratings are emblematic of the moral decay that has brought our country down.

13. fcs34 says: Oct 19, 2011 3:31 PM

I had figured Kutcher to be a gigantic douche, and he still may be, but then I saw him on Walter Payton A Football Life and realized anyone who loves football, the Bears and 34 as much as myself can’t be all bad. 2 1/2 men is a horrible show though.

14. sftitan says: Oct 19, 2011 3:31 PM

Charlie Sheen made that show. Without him it’s completely unwatchable.

And Ashton Kutcher is a douche.

15. tfbuckfutter says: Oct 19, 2011 3:38 PM

Watched the show a few times (It’s hard not too when it is on every half hour of every day in syndication)…..

The “jokes” are as predictable as a Mike Shula designed offensive scheme.

16. muckman207 says: Oct 19, 2011 3:40 PM

I know I am in the minority, but I am not a fan of shows that just have gimmicky sex jokes the entire time…

17. scoops1 says: Oct 19, 2011 3:50 PM

Jay Cutler should replace Angus T. Jones on 2 and Half men

18. rc33 says: Oct 19, 2011 3:54 PM

People are so mind-numbingly brain dead nowadays who could be surprised that show gets great numbers?

Never seen it.
    Confident I’m missing absolutely nothing.

I’d rather watch 30 minutes of the burning Yule Log they put on Comcast every holiday season.

19. cfmaguire9 says: Oct 19, 2011 4:00 PM

Wait, all this time I thought Two and a Half Men was a show about the Chicago Bears’ offensive line….

20. buckybadger says: Oct 19, 2011 4:00 PM

jtbaudendistel says:
    Oct 19, 2011 3:07 PM
    Two and a half men.
    I’d rather be on PFT.com, or at the gym, or eating, or watching Seinfeld.

———
    Agreed.

21. radrntn says: Oct 19, 2011 4:28 PM

i can’t believe their are more 2 and half men haters then their are raider haters…..my wife loves it. Got a deal i can watch the end of MNF and record 2 and half , but i have to watch it w/ her…it’s stupid funny

22. east96st says: Oct 19, 2011 4:33 PM

The Phantom Stranger says: “It’s high ratings are emblematic of the moral decay that has brought our country down.”

Geez, all this time I thought the problem was that”devil music” those kids call rock n roll. If a time machine actually existed, exactly how far back would need to go to be happy?

23. usmutts says: Oct 19, 2011 4:54 PM

Phantom Stranger says he doesn’t watch Two And A Half Men because of it’s “moral decay.”

If he really wanted to avoid “moral decay” he certainly wouldn’t be slurping up on this website, now would he?

24. sf49erguy says: Oct 19, 2011 4:57 PM

I remember asshton on NFL network during their celebrity f.f draft and he told someone who doubted his knowledge, that he doesn’t need to know football Bc he knows ppl who do… wtf? way to be the every man.. Charlie sheen all day…

25. kabnwo says: Oct 19, 2011 5:00 PM

“Men men men manly men men men”….I hate that f’n song.

26. haywoodjablomee says: Oct 19, 2011 5:35 PM

Why did they give Kutcher a name like Walden. Should have been Michael Kelso; same character.

27. nesuperfan says: Oct 19, 2011 6:05 PM

I used to like Two and a Half Men, but now it just S-T-I-N-K-S. Charlie won.

With Kutcher, they got 28 million the first week, but then it dropped to 20 million, then to 17 million, then to 16 million, and last week to just 15 million. When Sheen left, they were getting around 16 million a week.

That still makes it a hit as of Monday, but the trend is to keep getting worse…and rightly so.

28. rodgerthat says: Oct 19, 2011 6:23 PM

Two and Half men with Charlie was on my top five list. That Seventies Show with Kutch was on my top 5 list. So far I have watched every one of the new Men episodes without Charlie and it is actually getting painful to get thru. All the other characters are still good but the Walden character is well, a character. It might be just me, but if vegas had a line on how long shows would last….I would bet on the long that this don’t make it past this year without serious revamp. Honestly I think I would enjoy it more if either they just kept going without Charlie, or if the just simply did a actor switch and had Kutch become Charlie Harper. Sucks cuz I dont like many TV shows….Now I like one less…. :(

29. tfbuckfutter says: Oct 19, 2011 7:08 PM

nesuperfan says: Oct 19, 2011 6:05 PM

I used to like Two and a Half Men, but now it just S-T-I-N-K-S. Charlie won.

——————————-

Actually I just read that last season averaged, iirc, 12.8m per episode.

30. nesuperfan says: Oct 19, 2011 7:28 PM

I was just quoting this link, but your number appears to be more accurate. It could also be what Charlie was bringing in at the end. Either way, the Kutcher version is just not very good.

Now that I check, TV by the numbers, which is pretty much the most authoritative public source, confirms your number.

31. goose00 says: Oct 19, 2011 9:49 PM

Well I think that the show is pretty funny and there are alot of non sports fans that watch it that think it is funny. It was funnier when Sheen was on it, but for you never to watch it and make a comment about is like a non sports fan making an idiotic remark about why so many people watch football for over 3 hours. Stick to what you know and don’t waste your time on stuff you don’t. In reality it seems like you do not have a sense of humor.

32. chazatlas says: Oct 19, 2011 11:28 PM

Also confirms something else I’ve known for a while: baseball absolutely SUCKS!!!

33. buzzbissinger says: Oct 20, 2011 2:07 AM

What people find funny about that show I can only imagine

Coming from the unofficial Jerry Seinfeld fansite this comes a a complete shock. (Insert redundant Seinfeld youtube link here).

34. jessethegreat says: Oct 20, 2011 12:47 PM

goose00 says:
    Oct 19, 2011 9:49 PM
    ————————————————
    Remember you are talking to Phantom Stranger. He’s a die hard born and raised Viking fan. Not much room in there for a sense of humor. The last FIVE decades have been quite hard on Vikings fans. Frankly, I’m quite proud of the little guy for hanging in there so long. You gotta figure he’s spent tens of thousands of dollars in therapy.