Jahvid Best misses practice amid talk he could sit out season

AP

Lions running back Jahvid Best is sitting out practice again today after suffering a concussion on Sunday. And he might miss a lot more than just practice.

Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com reports that people close to Best are urging him to consider sitting out the rest of the season over concerns that his concussion problems are not going away.

The concussion Best suffered on Sunday was his second of the 2011 season. And perhaps of greater concern is that Best suffered a very serious concussion at Cal, which forced him to miss the final four games of his college career.

For his part, Best suggested this week that he doesn’t know how long he’ll be out.

As of right now I’m just taking it day by day,” he said.

The Lions’ attempt to trade for Ronnie Brown this week may be an indication that they’re concerned about Best’s health and want more depth at running back. After that trade was voided, the Lions don’t have many other places to turn if Best can’t go.

55 responses to “Jahvid Best misses practice amid talk he could sit out season

1. The Lions also signed James Davis to their practice squad yesterday. It’s not looking good for Jahvid. I hope he does what is right for him and doesn’t get pressured into playing if he’s not 100%. It’s a shame he can’t stay healthy because he really is a dynamic player.

2. I was hoping the Lions were going to be a real threat even into the playoffs. This puts a cloud over those plans.

3. But it kind of didn’t make sense for the Lions to trade a running back (Harrison) for a running back (Brown).

That is more like trying to upgrade the position rather than adding depth or finding a replacement.

4. Are you listening, talk radio hosts who criticized the Vikings for trading their first-round pick to Detroit instead of drafting Best as their backup running back?

5. Long term brain issues aren’t worth it, for his sake I hope he realizes that before its to late. I’m honestly surprised he ever played in the league after that horrific injury at Cal. Get better Jahvid.

6. marklar1025 says: Oct 20, 2011 11:55 AM

thats what you get for hating the Niners growing up then talking about it when you play them….

get better Jahvid
    ————————————————————————
    Yeah, that sounded VERY sincere. Niners fans have really turned into jerks seemingly overnight.

7. This sucks…never wanna see someone have to contemplate this. Super sick player at Cal…but that last concussion injury he had in college really put a dark cloud over what the rest of his career could look like. Best of luck to you, Mr. Best.

8. I wish him the best. He seems like a nice guy, and his policy of taking it “day by day” is the smart thing to do. But this doesn’t sound good. It’s just speculation at this point, but if this is his third concussion, he should seriously think about at the very least sitting out the season. Depending on what doctors say, he might be wise to call it a career. It would be devastating, but there are other opportunities for an ambitious former player. Coaching, coordinating, training, scouting, etc…Better to give up on the dream than suffer some horrible long-term brain damage because you were too proud/stupid/reckless to call it a career.

I truly hope that he recovers, but for whatever reason some guys just can’t last. See Bob Sanders.

9. Take all the time you need and then some Jahvid. Your long term health is the important thing.
    Hoping for the Best.

10. …”Hey Barry…some guy who calls himself Gym Shorts on that phone for you….Stop playin Madden and talk to this freak”

11. A rumor that the Harrison and a pick for Brown trade fell thru because Harrison was found to have a brain tumor. Off Scott Linehan’s son Matts Twitter account. Hope that’s not true.

12. Even as a fan of an opposing NFCN team, this news is too bad. The guy should retire, and the Lions should never have drafted a RB with a history of concussions.

13. Weren’t the new helmet designs supposed to thwart the amount of/severity of concussions? I am sure the level of knowledge and precautions has risen in recent years because of the issues surrounding concussions, but its just coming across as excessive and I am wondering if a conversation about performance expectations with the helmet manufacturers isn’t a good place to start.

Either that or we just have guys stop leading with their head to tackle/get tackled.

14. gcsuk says: Oct 20, 2011 12:05 PM

marklar1025 says: Oct 20, 2011 11:55 AM

get better Jahvid
    ————————————————————————

Seriously how the hell can you tell my tone from reading a post? I really DO hope he gets better soon and doesnt miss much more time. And I really do think its a bad idea to say you have hated a team your whole life days before you play them. The negativity comes from you, not me… cheer up folks.

15. As flabbergasting as it sounds, I would consider working out Tiki and seeing what kind of power his motor has left in it. As a dual threat who can catch the rock out of the backfield, he’s a perfect fit for this offense (so long as there’s any gas left in the tank).

16. marklar1025 says: Oct 20, 2011 12:24 PM

gcsuk says: Oct 20, 2011 12:05 PM

marklar1025 says: Oct 20, 2011 11:55 AM

get better Jahvid
    ————————————————————————

——————————————————————–
    I don’t need to tell the tone when I can read the words on the page. “That’s what you get” ? So you’re saying he deserved to get injured? What is that, karma? Your original comment was low-class…admit it and move on.

And obviously by the amount of thumbs down you got on your original post, most people agree with me.

17. I have no idea why, but Best has always been the guy who gets the gnarly injury. Now, because of that, I see where his friends are coming from when they say to not play.

At Cal, he had the one where he got speared so bad he puked all over the field and himself, he had his elbow bent backwards and dislocated in gruesome fashion, and I thought I actually saw him die, or get paralyzed with the flying off-balance backwards head snap in the endzone (those that saw the final injury he had at Cal know what i’m talking about. It did not look good).

Prayers he stays healthy.

18. “After that trade was voided, the Lions don’t have many other places to turn if Best can’t go”

Because there are so few running back free agents out there. It’s a desert.

19. This kid is a great athlete too and a good football player, it’s a shame he’s having to deal with a possible season ending situation.

Tough situation, hope he makes the right decision for himself.

20. marklar1025 says:
    Oct 20, 2011 11:55 AM

get better Jahvid

___________________________

Seriously, what kind of loser are you that you believe physical harm should come to someone who is not a fan of your team? Go away please.

21. It’s a shame… with all his potential he had a huge impact in about 3 games total but the injuries kept him from breaking out. Hope it’s not the end for him, but if it is I hope he saved his money so he can still live a comfortable middle-class life.

22. Harrison tumor is confirmed, and Adam Scheffler gets credit for breaking the news. I wonder if they were checking him for concussions or if a brain scan is a normal part of a NFL physical?
    The trade deadline is past, only FA help at RB now.
    Kevin Smith wasn’t that fast to begin with and had an ACL, isn’t big enough to run over people and has chronic shoulder problems. Hard worker and but not the answe for the Lions. Get well soom Jerome Harrison.

23. scratchnpost1234 was right & he broke the story before Scheffler.

“A rumor that the Harrison and a pick for Brown trade fell thru because Harrison was found to have a brain tumor. Off Scott Linehan’s son Matts Twitter account…”

24. marklar1025 says: Oct 20, 2011 12:24 PM

gcsuk says: Oct 20, 2011 12:05 PM

marklar1025 says: Oct 20, 2011 11:55 AM

get better Jahvid
    ————————————————————————

——————————————-

Almost as sincere as Harbaughs post game “apology” for “patting” Schwartz on the back.

I have to say i’m shocked at the comments/posts from 49er fans on multiple media outlet blogs the past week and a half…from the lead up to the Lions game to now, just sad.

Haven’t seen that kind of negativity from a single fan base in a long long time.

congrats on your win, good luck and best of health to your team the rest of the year.

25. Best has had a rash of injuries dating back to college. A lot of teams passed on him for that reason. This is his third concussion in two years plus the nasty turf toe injury. Doesn’t sound good for him.

26. I think the Lions just picked up a blocking fullback, Matt Clapp. They had him on the roster last year. I’m sure Jahvid would have appreciated this a bit earlier.

27. unlost1 says:
    Oct 20, 2011 1:29 PM
    scratchnpost1234 was right & he broke the story before Scheffler.

Not looking for credit as a rumor is something I heard from someone else who heard etc etc…Scheffler is a twitter freak. Ther is no privacy any longer. Actually was a poster from Canada on the Detroit news Lions forum that heard it.

28. OK, first things first. Take care of yourself Jahvid, and don’t rush back too soon. Long term health is too important to ignore.

Second, trading deadline is over. So all of you bringing up trade possibilities need to get over it.

Third, Kevin Smith fans…he was NEVER the same after his initial knee surgery. He was hesitant and went down on initial contact faster than a cheap hooker at a political convention.

Fourth, Jerome Harrison was found to have a brain tumor, and will likely be put on IR by the Lions. I suspect they will be looking for a FA running back to sign now. Harrison and Best need to address their long term health issues.

As a Lions fan, this is difficult to accept. The loss of not one, but two players in one week to what may be year ending injuries/illness at the same position? What’s the odds?

Here’s to hoping both young men are able to overcome and be healthy for years to come.

29. Tailback with concussion problems means short career.

Realistically with his history he probably should not be allowed back on an NFL playing field again. The damage to the sport would be horrendous if he was critically hurt in the future due to the existing problems.

I think if I’m the NFL I start thinking about the ramifications of the concussion policy and how best to compensate players and teams really damaged by it.

30. marklar1025:

its confirmed, at least 154 people think you are an idiot.

getting a concussion: “thats what you get”
    missing the season: “thats what you get”
    family/friends pleading for your health: “thats what you get”

you are moron and all the 49ers have proven is that they have a qb that can average 179 yards/1 TD a game. sounds like playoffs to me.