LaDainian Tomlinson to get start against the Chargers

Tomlinson reacts after scoring a touchdown during the first half of their NFL football game in Oakland Reuters

The Jets’ stale running game needs a spark, and Rex Ryan is hoping that a motivational ploy could do the trick this Sunday.

Rex Ryan announced that LaDainian Tomlinson will start against the Chargers in his first game against his old team.  It appears the starting nod is basically “ceremonial” rather than performance-based.  Shonn Greene will still have his usual workload.

Starting Tomlinson is averaging only 3.4 yards-per-carry this year.  Tomlinson is no better, but he’s made a number of key plays as a receiver.  If nothing else, he gives Mark Sanchez a better check down option.

“I don’t have any bad bones against anybody. I’m sure the time will come when I come back and retire as a Charger,” Tomlinson said in a conference call to San Diego reporters.

It’s hard to imagine that happening while A.J. Smith is there.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
45 Responses to “LaDainian Tomlinson to get start against the Chargers”
  1. psuravens19 says: Oct 20, 2011 3:59 PM

Looks like i’ll be picking up SD defense for Fantasy this week!

2. edmazeing1 says: Oct 20, 2011 3:59 PM

Why put a picture of him scoreing over the raiders? Anyway I am a JETS fan this week only….Go Raiders!!!

3. mrplow3 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:00 PM

“It’s hard to imagine that happening while A.J. Smith is there.”

Why do you say that?

4. medtxpack says: Oct 20, 2011 4:01 PM

LT is class, the Chargers are nothing with AJ Smith there and a QB that will never make it over the hump, hes like a slightly better Tony Romo…

5. paulbrownsrevenge says: Oct 20, 2011 4:02 PM

I just picked up Shonn Greene and nearly crapped myself when I read this, Phew…. ceremonial…. ok.

6. frankdatank23 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:04 PM

you just picked up greene? what are you in a 6 team league ?

7. realfann says: Oct 20, 2011 4:05 PM

“Starting Tomlinson is averaging only 3.4 yards-per-carry this year. Tomlinson is no better, but he’s made a number of key plays as a receiver”

Okaaay.

8. derfshambeaux says: Oct 20, 2011 4:09 PM

@paulbrownsrevenge…can i get in on your fantasy league? shonn greene’s still a free agent going into week 7, geez

9. nickster2k says: Oct 20, 2011 4:09 PM

—————————-

paulbrownsrevenge says:
    Oct 20, 2011 4:02 PM

—————————-

I have Tomlinson wasting away on my bench and had pretty much the opposite reaction….until I read “ceremonial”. damn.

10. caseyanthonymunoz says: Oct 20, 2011 4:13 PM

Good for him. Now he can take those TWO Super Bowl rings he won with the Jets the past two seasons and rub them them right in the face of his former teammates.

11. klunge says: Oct 20, 2011 4:15 PM

———————————————–

Whaaaaat???? I don’t know where to begin with this one…

12. natelan69 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:16 PM

We still love you out here in San Diego, LT, so don’t let your fat, stupid coach wedge you against us.

That being said, I know you will play your heart out against us, but we are going to destroy your QB and win by 20 points.

Much love.

13. Stiller43 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:16 PM

“Starting Tomlinson is averaging only 3.4 yards-per-carry this year. Tomlinson is no better, but he’s made a number of key plays as a receiver. If nothing else, he gives Mark Sanchez a better check down option.”

…what?

14. citizenstrange says: Oct 20, 2011 4:18 PM

“I don’t have any bad bones against anybody.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yeah, but do you have any blood to pick?

15. godofwine330 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:18 PM

This is great. REALLY great. I hvae Fred Jackson and Lil’ Danian (my brother and I have been saying this for years) as my only RB’s in fantasy football, and Jackson has a bye. I thought I was screwed. Now, Lil’ Danian will save me. Thanks, Rex. – Godofwine’s GreekGods

But seriously, Shonn Green has underperformed so far as the feature back, and last year Tomlinson had 915 yards last year. I know 6 games is no full season, but this is football where you only get a small window, fair or not, and when you don’t perform well in that window it closes. Sometimes it re-opens, sometimes…it doesn’t.

16. rc33 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:21 PM

Rex also announced he’s starting his two predicted Super Bowl rings over Norv Turner’s two “should’ve been” Super Bowl rings.

17. chowface86 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:30 PM

Thumbs up if you think he THROWS a TD, thumbs down if you think he wont!

18. riihab says: Oct 20, 2011 4:30 PM

As if LT is going to find the fountain of youth returning to SD.

19. oscojoe says: Oct 20, 2011 4:33 PM

Tomlinson & Class are two words that don’t go together. He is a cry baby that went to a classless organization.

Other then a few rushing titles what else has any of his teams won.

Yea thats right, NOTHING!!!

20. lacharger2112 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:37 PM

Hey Chargers D… He’s the same LT you practiced against when he was with you, only slower.
    Go Chargers!

21. gb4mn0 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:46 PM

Sexy Rex must have consulted with Leslie Frazier on how to lose to the Bolts and leslie told him the key is to start a RB who’s last name ends in son.

22. pacificamjr says: Oct 20, 2011 4:55 PM

giving LT carries is a charity project at this point…

PS- Tiki is flabbergasted

23. baltimorons says: Oct 20, 2011 5:05 PM

Funny…I thought he retired years ago.

24. Brian Keith says: Oct 20, 2011 5:06 PM

How can anybody say that LT has class? The same LT who whines and cries about the Patriots and how they are such cheaters, all the while he was playing on a Chargers team whose middle linebacker won Defensive Player of the Year while on steroids…In the words of LaDainian “if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying!”

25. dino2997 says: Oct 20, 2011 5:08 PM

Translation: I know my career is close to being over. I’d like to go back to San Diego and use my name to make more money.

26. dasmol says: Oct 20, 2011 5:09 PM

I hope he does well enough to look good while losing.

27. bhcpaul1989 says: Oct 20, 2011 5:09 PM

Wait, what? Odd Tomlinson is no better than Tomlinson. Hard for him to be better than himself!

28. rajbais says: Oct 20, 2011 5:14 PM

Good, now cut Shonn Greene!!!!

He’ll help NO ONE!!!

29. ampats says: Oct 20, 2011 5:25 PM

3.4 yards a carry is eerily similar to the jets record come Monday. 3-4

30. earthtopft says: Oct 20, 2011 5:29 PM

If the game was being played in London, everyone would be saying “Cheerio, LaD, ‘av a good match!”.

31. jnbnet says: Oct 20, 2011 5:30 PM

medtxpack says:
    Oct 20, 2011 4:01 PM

================================
    We all know he is class…he told us so. “You know me, I’m a classy guy.” So there you have it.

32. pacificamjr says: Oct 20, 2011 5:33 PM

Thanks you can have the Jets and the +2, i’ll take the superchargers and a real QB

33. wetpaperbag2 says: Oct 20, 2011 5:40 PM

medtxpack says: Oct 20, 2011 4:01 PM

————————————————

Dude…LT was classless. How is it classy to do the “tear drop” when scoring a touchdown? Classy would be to simply hand the ball off to the ref like Barry Sanders always did.

How is it classy to complain about the OTHER team mimicking your teammate’s sack dance when you AND your team taunted that same team and their fans in THEIR house earlier that same season?

LT lost ALL respect when he cried on TV after losing to the Pats in the playoffs and saying crap about the Pats coach teaching them to be classless, but then turning around and said that he himself “has class.” Hint…the moment you feel you have to say that you have class…you have officially defaulted on your “Class Card” charge account hommie!

That aside, may the Jets win…to benefit my Raiders.

34. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 20, 2011 5:44 PM

Jets will draft Greene’s replacement in the 2012 draft.

35. fmwarner says: Oct 20, 2011 5:59 PM

frankdatank23 says: Oct 20, 2011 4:04 PM

you just picked up greene? what are you in a 6 team league ?
    ===================================

It’s not that crazy…I’ve been sorely tempted to cut him for weeks.

36. jcdavey2011 says: Oct 20, 2011 6:30 PM

hopefully this turns into LT being fed up to slaughter, but my sd run D has looked pretty bad so far

37. dlmcc1010 says: Oct 20, 2011 6:31 PM

I dont see why this is a bad move even if he gives Tomlinson more carries this week. Shonne Greene has been useless all year. Granted the O-line has been banged up. Shonne Greene couldnt catch a beachball let alone a football, so at least Tomlinson gives you a little more in the passing game. Tomlinson was good last year, until he wore down. He has been used pretty sparingly this year so its worth a try to spark the offense

38. vincentbojackson says: Oct 20, 2011 9:59 PM

Won’t matter, the Jets struggled with the Dolphins. The Chargers are not the Dolphins and Rex just gave the bolts all the bulletin board material they can handle.

39. dennis2488 says: Oct 20, 2011 10:58 PM

when i think of underachievers the chargers and jets automatically pop up in my mind.

40. jets624 says: Oct 21, 2011 12:14 AM

Sanchez 2 TD’s, LT 1TD…….
    V.JACKSON, a lil trip to REVIS ISLAND, thank you!!!!!!!!

41. fartography says: Oct 21, 2011 12:27 AM

Shonn Greene sucks. The Jets should cut bait and draft a new RB next year.

42. jcdavey2011 says: Oct 21, 2011 12:38 AM

the chargers aren’t the dolphins, yet we only beat the dolphins by 10 in sd lol

43. edhochuli says: Oct 21, 2011 1:15 AM

“Starting Tomlinson is averaging only 3.4 yards-per-carry this year. Tomlinson is no better, but he’s made a number of key plays as a receiver. ”

Hmmmmm…is this a riddle? I don’t understand, Greggy!

44. tomasmonroe says: Oct 21, 2011 1:39 AM

Go LT!! Shoot, you won me a FF champ once in the day. Boy, the Lions could sure use you.

45. raiders4life says: Oct 21, 2011 4:30 AM

I hate both teams but as a Raiders fan, you know who I’m rooting for on this day. Go Gang Green!