At 34, Joey Porter knows he’s getting old

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

There was a time when a reporter who asked Joey Porter if his production was declining would expect to get his head bitten off. But now Porter, at age 34 and in his 13th NFL season, nods in agreement when asked if he’s getting old.

Porter, the Cardinals linebacker who’s preparing to play against the team where he spent the first eight years of his career when the Steelers come to town Sunday, said he understands that he’s not the guy who can contribute double-digit sacks anymore.

As you get older, your role changes,” Porter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “And, as a player, you still think you can hunt just as good as the other dog, but it just happens. You play this game long enough, you’re not going to be as dominant as you used to be.”

Porter has started all five games for the Cardinals this year, but he has just 14 tackles and one sack, and his playing time has been reduced.

“That’s hard to accept, but, at the same time, I still feel like I can play,” Porter said. “My thing is, I’m trying to give myself the best chance to be healthy. I feel like when I’m healthy, I can still go out there and play football with anybody. But it gets tougher when you get older.”

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “At 34, Joey Porter knows he’s getting old”
  1. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Oct 21, 2011 8:16 AM

At 17 I to realize that I am getting old . . .

2. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 21, 2011 8:17 AM

“I think he’s soft….”

3. pappert says: Oct 21, 2011 8:18 AM

shoulda traded him to the eagles for a 6th rounder.. damn trade deadline

4. vincespowersweep says: Oct 21, 2011 8:28 AM

That kind of sounds like humility, which would lead me to the question:

“Who are you and what have you done with Joey Porter?”

5. jpb12 says: Oct 21, 2011 8:30 AM

Does this mean he’ll stop cruisin casinos looking for a fight?

6. supashug says: Oct 21, 2011 8:31 AM

The Steelers would love to have him back, 34 is now young for their haggerd defense

7. quittsburghstoolers says: Oct 21, 2011 9:19 AM

“At 34, Joey Porter knows he’s getting old”

———————————————————-

His “act” got “old” long before his body did…

8. deconjonesbitchslap says: Oct 21, 2011 9:20 AM

there are special forces guys in their mid 40′s that work 10x harder than these nfl players every single day. i don’t buy this ‘im too old’ crap. they just get lazy and realize they have their money, and coast until they can’t compete with the younger guys who want to play.

34 is old now? give me a break.

9. steelerfan999 says: Oct 21, 2011 9:36 AM

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES….STEELERNATION.

10. tv426 says: Oct 21, 2011 9:50 AM

This guy is still playing? Who knew?

11. parenthesis78 says: Oct 21, 2011 10:31 AM

London Fletcher is 36.. .has made the pro bowl the last 2 years .. and is alwayz in the top 10 in tackles ..
    just saying

12. rexryansdirtysock says: Oct 21, 2011 10:38 AM

Yeah buddy, 34 is old when it comes to football.

The average person peaks physically at age 26. So at 34, the average person has been declining physically for eight years.

While I don’t doubt the training of the special forces guys, they don’t have to outrun 26 year olds their athletic prime every day.

In football, even the tiniest difference in speed makes all the difference. When you’re 34, it’s just a biological fact that you’re not as fast as you once were, making it increasingly difficult to play in the NFL.

13. cannonballdookie says: Oct 21, 2011 10:47 AM

Even though I’m a Steelers fan and I probably shouldn’t criticize other teams for starting old players, I know I’m not the only one who’s completely baffled that Porter and Haggans are the Cards starting linebackers, let alone still in the league. Crazy.

14. pskotte says: Oct 21, 2011 11:23 AM

Most over-rated LB ever. A legend in his own mind.

15. warrenmoon says: Oct 21, 2011 11:27 AM

Brett Favre disagrees

16. Deb says: Oct 21, 2011 3:50 PM

@rexryansdirtysock …
    Thank you for an intelligent post.

vincespowersweep, if you want to know about Joey’s ego, just ask his current and former teammates. There’s a reason he kept getting elected captain by his peers.

I’ll be rooting for my Steelers Sunday, and I love our current corps of linebackers. But I hope Joey has a good day. He still has a special place in my heart and will still be my favorite Steeler LB on the field. Love ya, Joey.

Moderators, I’m sorry you find this post so offensive that you’ve deleted it five times. I’ll just forward it to your supervisors with the others. I’m sure eventually they’ll be able to provide us with some rational answers for these deletions.

17. Deb says: Oct 21, 2011 3:51 PM

@rexryansdirtysock …
    Thank you for an intelligent post.